JrzyGuy30

Not gun related- need to hear reviews on dealerships- Brad Benson Hyundai or Freehold Hyundai

Wife and I are expecting and we need an economical car - so looking at trading in an old gas guzzler for a safe/higher mpg Sonata/good warranty.

Anyways, long story short- went to Brad Benson- felt a little like we were slighted/rushed.

Considering Freehold hyundai.

Any opinions/reviews on these dealerships? :)

Thanks for taking time to read this and any contributions!

Freehold is a very pushy dealer. They will also kill you in fees after the purchase. There is not one female working the sales floor. My wife and I bought a car from them and would not recommend them to anyone. Even after untold them there was no way I was gong to buy that day they still tried to push me into a deal

I truly wish there was an alternative to submitting to the car dealer environment. So many hand of sleight, bait and switch tricks to milk you for what youre worth. Why must cars be any different then buying any other mass produced product? Too many variables and options to hide in a vehicle to be able to directly compare models.Dont get me started on the barrage of auto commercials on the radio post sandy. Poachers!

There is lester glenn i guess but i feel they are all the same. Sell sell sell

A guy I work with has been trying to get a car since his was trashed by Sandy. He has been getting the run around from his insurance. The guys at Lester Glenn in Brick have been bending over backwards to help him.

They have even given him a loaner for almost 3 weeks while hes waiting for the insurance. Workmate has nothing but praise for the dealer.

I have a 2007 Sonata with 70,000 miles on it. It has been a good car. Only complaints have been with rear brakes. Seems to go through them quite fast, can't seem to figure that one out. It has the 4 cylinder engine and have gotten as high as 40 mpg on long trips to Illinois and back.

When we decided to purchase this car, I researched all I could and decided what options and all. I then used the internet to have dealerships quote prices on the car. I even used internet buying services. Ended up using one of the internet bid dealers to purchase the car. When quite smooth. As far as warranty work, I use the local dealer. At first he bitched about it, but after a sane discussion with management, things smoothed out fast. Most issued had to do with recalls. I have only two minor issues with the car. Pretty well made. Hyundai seem to stand by their product.

I have three hyundais and my BIL has two, another BIL had one. Between us no major issues during ownership (engine, trans, A/C, etc). Over 450,000 combined miles on 6 cars, one still running with just about 150,000 miles, still getting 36MPG back and forth to work.

Good Luck

I've been there with my gf. Was upfront with the sales guy. Had a good experience. Guy was friendly, not pushy. We didn't buy the car because of vacation and sandy so pushed our timing back but I would go there again.

In my experience the more upfront you are with them the better it will be. Oh yeah don't seem too excited to buy either.

ETA: I just got a 2012 Sonata 2.0T at the dealership my dad works for. I'm not gonna talk about pricing cause it was a favor from the owners but the car is really nice. Great on mileage compared to my 03 sonata. I filled my tank the day before sandy hit and didn't need to fill for 2 weeks with the eco button. Great car.

The secret to any dealer experience is to go prepared. Know what you want, by researching the product online. Print and take info with you. Walk in, tell them what you want and what you're willing to pay for it. End of discussion. This assumes you have good credit. If not, you have no bargaining power with the salesperson. My last 3-new car purchases were handled in record time. I was prepared and didn't sway from what I wanted and what I wanted to pay.

The secret to any dealer experience is to go prepared. Know what you want, by researching the product online. Print and take info with you. Walk in, tell them what you want and what you're willing to pay for it. End of discussion. This assumes you have good credit. If not, you have no bargaining power with the salesperson. My last 3-new car purchases were handled in record time. I was prepared and didn't sway from what I wanted and what I wanted to pay.

Good advice. They will do anything they can to save the sale.

Sounds like a solid way to deal with the sales people at the dealership.

A guy I work with has been trying to get a car since his was trashed by Sandy. He has been getting the run around from his insurance. The guys at Lester Glenn in Brick have been bending over backwards to help him.

They have even given him a loaner for almost 3 weeks while hes waiting for the insurance. Workmate has nothing but praise for the dealer.

+1 for Lester Glenn. I have a Sonata and I refuse to go to Freehold, they are dishonest crooks and I told Hyundai that. I went to Lester Glenn with an issue and was much happier. Worth the ride.

Brad Benson is pushy as heck. I actually went to Staten Island to buy my Sonata - My friend knows Nick Manfredi (Owner of Manfredi dealerships) so I got a great deal. If you need some help, I can hook you up :D

That's who my dad works for. Nicky was his best man. I think I know the friend you're talking about lol.

Buy American... :-p

Hyundai Sonata is built in Montgomery, Alabama. In fact, many brands of "foreign cars" are built in USA.

Now go buy that 'Murrican Chevy Truck. You know, the one that they're going to be building in Thailand soon. The one with "Made in China" stamped on the wheels, control arms, and many other critical vehicle parts.

Not joking.

LOL- thanks!

This is why I hate car shopping. If I could just order it online and have it delivered, I would.

I hate it, too. The last couple of Hondas we bought through Costco. No muss. No fuss. Needed to go in to the dealer with a check but it didn't take all that long.

The best cars in the world are built right here in the USA. Toyota. Honda. Now Hyundai.

The highest US content of any car last year was the Toyota Camry.

Have you looked at Subaru at all? Im kinda biased since I have 3 but they have done me well. I have an 04 Forester, 07 Tribeca, and a 12 Impreza. It might just be my inner lesbo or Im hooked? I dont know a thing about Hyundai. The Subaru Legacy would prolly be the same sized car. My neighbor is 25 year Subaru employee. Thats good for about 1500 under MSRP and anything you can add can be purchased at COST. No strings or anything like that. Hes just a real cool dude who loves his company and promoting Subaru love. Ive gotten about 20 folks into Subarus so far.

I can't help you with specific dealers since I'm too far away from your area, but when I was looking for a car a few years ago I was between 2 (Hyundai Genesis Coupe and Subaru Legacy 2.5GT). I e-mailed the Hyundai dealers in my area looking for the one that I wanted. When I found the right one, I told them when I'd be in to check it out and test drive, but that I wasn't interested in buying just yet. When I got there, they had the car out and ready for me, and when I got back from the test drive, they had already written down the numbers for their offer on a sheet of paper. He flipped it over and showed it to me and it was below MSRP out the door. I didn't even bother negotiating since it was far better than I expected, but just told him that I'd be back since I wanted to check out the Legacy before I made a decision (especially since I hadn't planned on buying that day). Turns out no one could even get the Legacy I wanted, let alone had it in stock. I called him back, and told him to prep the car because I'd be buying it. I think what also helped is that it was I think the 28th of the month, on a Saturday. Since I bought my car, I brought my sister in law and her friend back to both buy cars on the same day from the same salesman, and I plan to go back probably next year to buy a family-mobile.

Bottom line, do your research online, e-mail all the dealers in the area. I ignored the ones that sent auto-generated responses, and started talking with ones that were actual people. Also, try planning to buy towards the end of a month, or quarter, or even year. Dealers tend to get desperate for business at the end months/quarters/years to help make their quotas.

Sorry if this didn't help at all. Good luck in your search.

PS: I've never dealt with Brad Benson, but like everyone else here, I've only heard bad things (other than from their radio commercials).

If you belong to Costco, try their car buying program. They connect you with dealerships in your area that belong to the program, and offer vehicles as pre-arranged discounts. Saves the whole haggling part. Of course continue to look around, but it is worth checking out.

http://www.costcoauto.com/

Yeah- my wife's in marketing and she always hears those brad benson commercials and decided we should check them out. I contacted a couple of the local dealerships to. We'll see what happens today. Hate d*ckin around so I just want to cut right to he chase and get a good deal done or I will walk to the next dealer. That's the game plan now. Got my prices with options, and that's that.

Thanks for all your input guys! This is why I enjoy being on this forum and I recommend it to people :)

Brad Benson is pushy as heck. I actually went to Staten Island to buy my Sonata - My friend knows Nick Manfredi (Owner of Manfredi dealerships) so I got a great deal. If you need some help, I can hook you up :D

Haha, I grew up bowling with Nicky. He's a nice guy.

I'll give lester glenn a call.. thanks for the feedback. Any other suggestions or feedback welcome also.

Thanks!

I bought a Hyundai from lester glenn... they to bent over backwards for me. Recently I went to go trade it in.. like 6 months ago... after no one listening to what I wanted and offering me 7k under the kbb trade in value I went and bought me a jeep from pinebelt. Avoid freehold. I had a deal done 318 a month including my trade in... I said 60 months 40 times... good thimg I read the contract itbwas for 72 months and when I questioned it I was told that they only do 72 month loans. Never again

Hyundai Sonata is built in Montgomery, Alabama. In fact, many brands of "foreign cars" are built in USA.

Now go buy that 'Murrican Chevy Truck. You know, the one that they're going to be building in Thailand soon. The one with "Made in China" stamped on the wheels, control arms, and many other critical vehicle parts.

Not joking.

But where does the money go? It comes back to America. It doesn't go to Mexico, China or Japan. ;-)