rtquig

AWB - All or just certain Calibers?

If God forbid, this AWB goes into law, will all calibers that look like assault weapons be banned? Even the S&W 15/22 and the Sig 522 for example. Last ban, what did NJ do, make people turn in the assualt rifles? IIRC there seemed to be more AK's then AR's back then?

Dude, nobody knows what is going to happen. So, just buy lots of guns and ammo.

Best advice yet given on this forum.

Dateline: smalltown Ohio:

Walmart has ONE AR-15 left, a Sig Sauer A2 hunting model. My sister instead buys the last Mini-14 left, and the last 160 rounds of .223 left in the store. Also went home and (back)ordered 4 30rnd Ruger mags.

I wasn't a "current" gunner back in the last AWB, but this has all been quite surreal...maybe the Mayans ARE right... guess we'll find out at midnight.

The gun stores getting cleaned out is a good sign that the 2nd is alive and well. Most people don't prepare until the storm is at their door and hopefully this brings the silent majority out of their somnambulism.

The gun stores getting cleaned out is a good sign that the 2nd is alive and well. Most people don't prepare until the storm is at their door and hopefully this brings the silent majority out of their somnambulism.

Jeez... now I gotta go to the dictionary....

ah... "sleepwalking".

If God forbid, this AWB goes into law, will all calibers that look like assault weapons be banned? Even the S&W 15/22 and the Sig 522 for example. Last ban, what did NJ do, make people turn in the assualt rifles? IIRC there seemed to be more AK's then AR's back then?

#1. We don't know what a new AWB will look like. Heck, we don't even know if that is one of the things this "commission" may dream up. I

#2. The government gets a bug up its a$$ and tries to ban certain calibers every once in a while. I remember when hollow points were called "Cop killer bullets." There was a halfhearted attempt at banning 5.7mm and the Five SeveN pistol after the Ft. Hood shooting. Caliber bans don't go over too well. California succeed in banning .50 Caliber rifles.

#3. Back after the NJ AWB, you basically had a short window to register the guns with the state or sell them out of state. I think that fewer than 2000 weapons were registered.

#4. I don't remember a lot of AK's or M-16's back before the original NJ AWB. The Ruger Mini-14 was probably the most popular .223 rifle. For the most part, the AR-15s were all 20" full-sized Colts. AR-15's were expensive (I want to say about $1,500 - $1,800) and I think only Colt and Bushmaster were around, which is why the Mini-14 was so popular. You could get one for $800, which is almost touching what an AR Costs now. The original AWB was a solution in search of a problem, the rifles weren't that popular to being with, which is probably why it was so easy to ban them.

Agree with others: Can we stop with all the what IF or what will happen threads? I understand your concerns but who knows the outcome it's all speculation right now. All I do know is we must unite and communicate to our representatives of our pro gun stance. One bad apple cannot spoil the bunch.

Playing very worse case scenario, what are you guys going to do if part of the restrictions make owning X, Y, Z illegal? You'd have to either turn them in or keep them, but never be able to use them publicly.

Being a law abiding citizen, I will have no choice but to turn them in. The possibility of arrest and conviction would be much higher than any SHTF scenario.

Playing very worse case scenario, what are you guys going to do if part of the restrictions make owning X, Y, Z illegal? You'd have to either turn them in or keep them, but never be able to use them publicly.

:read: Lost all mine in a boating accident

I have always wondered how NJ got around Ex-Post-Facto with their AWB?

How can they have made something purchased LEGALLY at the time, illegal and REQUIRE the owners to turn them in, or sell out of state?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am relatively new to NJ, and am unfamiliar with how they enacted the ban.

Not really. I'm willing to bet that it's a small number of people buying massive quantities of ammo, multiple guns, etc. That's how it went down in 2008.

Also, to the OP, from what I understand "black rifles" were nowhere near as popular in the early 90s as they are today. Most of the interest in them was, ironically, triggered by the original AWBs, from what I have been told.

I have always wondered how NJ got around Ex-Post-Facto with their AWB?

How can they have made something purchased LEGALLY at the time, illegal and REQUIRE the owners to turn them in, or sell out of state?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am relatively new to NJ, and am unfamiliar with how they enacted the ban.

Because it's stupid easy to modify an AW to be compliant.

At the time of the last ban, a friend of mine had an AK-47 which he kept. I know you can never have enough ammunition, but I'm satisfied with the amount I know have. I'm not going to invest in any mags or firearms until this is settled.

Being a law abiding citizen, I will have no choice but to turn them in. The possibility of arrest and conviction would be much higher than any SHTF scenario.

Your better than this. And if your just willing to surrender them maybe you should rethink your position on the 2A.

Your better than this. And if your just willing to surrender them maybe you should rethink your position on the 2A.

Who's to say whatever the ban proposes, he had recently privately sold, or just didn't actually possess in the first place, athus leaving his safe completely empty of any ban calibres or weapons and being an upright law abiding citizen? :)

#4. I don't remember a lot of AK's or M-16's back before the original NJ AWB. The Ruger Mini-14 was probably the most popular .223 rifle. For the most part, the AR-15s were all 20" full-sized Colts. AR-15's were expensive (I want to say about $1,500 - $1,800) and I think only Colt and Bushmaster were around, which is why the Mini-14 was so popular. You could get one for $800, which is almost touching what an AR Costs now. The original AWB was a solution in search of a problem, the rifles weren't that popular to being with, which is probably why it was so easy to ban them.

I remember in the 1980's going to Edelman's in Wayne and they usually had 4 or 5 AKs (Chinese Norincos) in stock. Then the Stockton, CA school shooting happened and the AKs were sold out and there was a sign on the wall that said "taking orders for AKs", so panic buying is nothing new.

From what I remember, the Colt ARs were about $800 back then. I ended up buying a Mini 14 (for around $400) shortly after NJ's AWB went into effect since you couldn't get ARs for a few years because they were thought to be illegal in all configurations. That changed around 1996 (IIRC) when the state was sued over the AWB ban and the fact that "substantially identical" was a vague term. That's when AG Peter Venerio came out with the "evil features" list and declared any AR style that didn't say AR15 on it or have the "evil features" was legal.

Because it's stupid easy to modify an AW to be compliant.

That may be so, however, the text of the law banned AR-15 and CAR-15 (among other firearms) by name. This was more or less what I was referring to in my question.

Everyone's worried about felony this, being a criminal that.

Whatever happen to the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment that it was about standing up to a tyrannical government?

It's easy to say you'd stand up to a tyrannical government. Much harder when there is a knee in your back and guns pointed at your family members.

Americans could proudly do it 230+ years ago, what has changed since then? O' yeah we've become a nation of pussies.

Americans could proudly do it 230+ years ago, what has changed since then? O' yeah we've become a nation of pussies.

People have forgotten, or have never been taught, what it is to be an American. People will gladly do anything for the government, as long as its "for the children" or "for your safety" or "for the trees". Very few people who are anti-2A or anti-Constitution can even put up a good debate. Very few. So, most of the sheeple have no idea what the principle of these issues really stands for.

If they have no understanding of the principle, why would they risk their lives for it, since it's non-existant in their minds? That's what pisses me off. No one knows.