jerseygti337

First handgun for wife?

My wife just got her fid and p2p and il be taking her to get her first handgun soon. She's pretty small 4'11 95lbs with small hands so I would assume 9mm or 38 in a compact /subcompact size or possibly a jframe. I know she has to handle many to get a better idea but would also like some more suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she is going to readily practice, I would look into a Ruger SR9, SR9C, or an M&P 9C. The S&W M&P Shield might also be an interesting option. If you are interested in a revolver, check out a Ruger SP101 or a S&W Model 60. Just for fun, she should check out a Glock 19 as well. You may want to checkout a 9mm revolver, too, especially if you have firearms in 9mm caliber.

Does she have any shooting experience at all?

If not, I'd take her shooting and have her try different guns, and start with smaller softer shooting caliber and move up. Nothing worse that some guy scaring a new shooter male or female with a canon thinking its funny.

Another thing is a revolver might also be a better option, some small woman have a hard time racking a slide and revolver is point and squeeze the trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would look into a Ruger SR9, SR9C, or an M&P 9C. The S&W M&P Shield might also be an interesting option. If you are interested in a revolver, check out a Ruger SP101 or a S&W Model 60. Just for fun, she should check out a Glock 19 as well.

I was under the impression that those small 9's kick quite a bit, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a smaller woman feel comfortable with her first firearm?

I was under the impression that those small 9's kick quite a bit, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a smaller woman feel comfortable with her first firearm?

Agreed. Any small 9 that Oak recommended would be a terrible idea for a new, small shooter.

The smaller the gun the more recoil/harder to handle it will be for her. Something like a 38 special j frame has a hell of a kick to it. It might discourage her from shooting. My wife is not too much bigger. She settled on a Glock 19 Gen 4. It was the perfect amount of weight, size, and recoil for her. Another good choice would be a Beretta PX4 Compact if she feels better with manual safeties.

I finally ended up with a smaller .357 for the wife which she loves and is very comfortable with after the semi auto Sig proved to be too snappy and very difficult for her to rack with her carpel tunnel.Small enough for her hands and just heavy enough to tame the recoil from a .38 round.

I'm on my iPad so I don't see the normal info, but where are you located and any chance you belong to a club. Might be a chance one of us might be able to meet with you and the wife and try out a few different guns.

I just wonder how many airweight J-frames or pocket nines wind-up in the used gun case because people buy them for their spouses because they are small & light - forgetting Newton's third law.

I understand that small hands call for something small so that it can be adequately held. Likewise I understand that a lot of new shooters are surprised at how heavy a gun actually is, and tend to opt for lightweight guns. Another problem is that said person may not be able to rack the slide of a semi-auto.

OK, so if you are locked into a small size because of physical stature, and weight is a problem, then, by all means, opt for the lightweight small revolver like the previously mentioned airweight J-frame. BUT, reduce the recoil impulse at the same time. I have been over this in my head many times, in searching for something suitable for my GF. The ammunition companies helped me make-up my mind. I think an ideal SD gun for people of small stature (please notice that I am trying to stay gender neutral) is a J-frame, alloy S&W chambered in .22 Magnum. Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense and now Winchester PDX are all making SD ammunition in this caliber. Another upside is that, even in the miniscule J-frame you can chamber 7 rounds.

Just my thoughts.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Another thing is a revolver might also be a better option, some small woman have a hard time racking a slide and revolver is point and squeeze the trigger.

This.

My wife is about the op's wife size and she got a Ruger SP101. She loves that thing.

My wife's two favorite handguns are my GSG-1911 and Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4" .357.

Can't go wrong with a Speed Six!

You could try the PX4 Compact... interchangeable backstraps and the rotating barrel makes it recoil like a cream puff.

I'll make you an offer. I can meet you at Bob's or Firing line in Philly one night and your wife can shoot my PX4 Compact. PM me if you are interested,

Agreed. Any small 9 that Oak recommended would be a terrible idea for a new, small shooter.

Polymer-framed 9mms absorb a lot of recoil. My niece, who is tiny, has no problems with a Glock 19 in terms of recoil. Still there is something nice about a 3-4" revolver with .38s, especially if it won't be practiced with often.

Ruger SP101 or Ruger Speed Six, or S&W 686 or Ruger GP100.

She has some time to make a decision.....don't rush it and buy the one she likes now. Wait a month or two, get her some practice and let her try a boat load of guns. I bought my wife a .22 after two outings cause she hated my glock. Now she loves the glock and its her favorite but it took some experience before she realized what she liked.

jerseygti,

She absolutely must try before any buy. So many people are recommending revolvers, and I often agree, but I've taught 100s of woman who cannot put the factory DA on them! If they're fighting the pull, they're not going to hit anything and give up fast! As with every student I've taught who has not fired a handgun before, I begin with a classic Ruger Mark III .22 to get the initial feel, build confidence, and remove excess fear. The Marks shoot well, no profound recoil at all, and light trigger pull. You can find them used everywhere and cheap as they're plentiful. Plus, everyone needs a .22 plinker!

I'm not far from you, and am an NRA instructor. So we might be able to work something out where she could try a variety of firearms after some basic instruction from me.

jerseygti,

She absolutely must try before any buy. So many people are recommending revolvers, and I often agree, but I've taught 100s of woman who cannot put the factory DA on them! If they're fighting the pull, they're not going to hit anything and give up fast! As with every student I've taught who has not fired a handgun before, I begin with a classic Ruger Mark III .22 to get the initial feel, build confidence, and remove excess fear. The Marks shoot well, no profound recoil at all, and light trigger pull. You can find them used everywhere and cheap as they're plentiful. Plus, everyone needs a .22 plinker!

I'm not far from you, and am an NRA instructor. So we might be able to work something out where she could try a variety of firearms after some basic instruction from me.

Women will naturally want to cock the hammer on the DA revolver, "because it's easier stupid!" Some women, like my wife, find it difficult to rack the slide on semi-auto's. So, to each her own.

Women will naturally want to cock the hammer on the DA revolver, "because it's easier stupid!" Some women, like my wife, find it difficult to rack the slide on semi-auto's. So, to each her own.

Hence the beauty of a Mark III. Shootable by most anyone, and why many, many instructors use it.

I cock my Taurus 94 when I'm going for accuracy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jerseygti,

I told her about your offer and we may take you up on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend taking her into a shop and letting her hold and look at a number of firearms. It really needs to be her choice - although the .50 Desert Eagle may be where you step in and say perhaps not!

Many firearms have interchangeable grips etc and a number of suggestions posted. When MrsWombat was interested in firearms she chose for herself and was selecting based on the aesthetics as well as other factors.

TheWombat