panteramatt

Wife got pulled over

I am assuming he/she is probably an officer themselves or related to one. I may be wrong. But yes, I am just relaying bad experiences. I respect everyone who respects me, including police.

It's also easy to be offended by these stories when you are an officer yourself, and you get out of every problem by flashing a badge. Civilians don't have that privilege, and it hurts, because it costs time and money and makes you bitter. If I did something wrong, I will atone for it. I have paid for tickets where I did something I wasn't supposed to do. I am not getting points on my record because of a disingenuous officer and a bully prosecutor. Now had I bent over and taken the points, the next time I get a nonsense ticket, there goes my ability to say I have a clean record! My case is that much harder to make

Driving/Fog light (mounted down low), or Day Time Running Lights (mounted higher)? Guess she doesn't have that magic gold shield on her dashboard, huh? You know the shield from observing the same laws the rest of us mortals have to obey....................

Haha thats funny but kinda true. I cant tell you the amount of times Ive witnessed police talking on cell phones, not stopping or using signals. Wonder what would happen if I rearended a cruiser? AGAIN Im not bashing just venting a little. I follwed a friend of mine working one night. He suddenly turned without a signal. I called him and told him I should give you a ticket! He laughed and told me I should give you a ticket for calling me while driving. I laughed and said touche.

Concerning the fog lights; I failed inspection with my Jeep in October due to a fog light being out and was pulled over three times (warnings) in different towns over the summer. All the LEO's were cool but still did their checks.

You have I look at it from their end concerning checks. You never know who you are pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But to say so many times officers make stuff up??? Really an officer is going to put his job in jeopardy over a traffic offense?? I highly doubt it thats why there is internal affiars and AG guidelines for these things. To say I hate a forum where people bash police officers is a legitimate thing for me to say. Because of one bad expirience he writes that officers make things up and have huge egos to fulfill to me is total BS.

If they're going to pull cars over for equipment violations, I'm guessing that they may need to prove that it's not just minorities that they're pulling over for equipment violations. I'd be annoyed, too, but what can you do?

BTW, I only use my fog lights when it's foggy out -- and that's not too often.

Haha thats funny but kinda true. I cant tell you the amount of times Ive witnessed police talking on cell phones, not stopping or using signals. Wonder what would happen if I rearended a cruiser? AGAIN Im not bashing just venting a little. I follwed a friend of mine working one night. He suddenly turned without a signal. I called him and told him I should give you a ticket! He laughed and told me I should give you a ticket for calling me while driving. I laughed and said touche.

Law enforcement while on duty is exempt from the cell phone law(I only quoted the section that specifically exempts them):

39:4-97.4 Inapplicability of act to certain officials.

2.The prohibitions set forth in this act shall not be applicable to any of the following persons while in the actual performance of their official duties: a law enforcement officer; a member of a paid, part-paid, or volunteer fire department or company; or an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle.

Seems completely safe to have a firefighter driving a 60,000lb+ truck, that is 40ft long, lights and sirens while talking on the phone.

Yea well she needs to use her fogs cause the headlights are so damn dim in her mountaineer. I replaced her headlights with silverstar ultras and that changed NOTHING and her lights are crystal clear. So I replaced her fogs with 5000k hids so that it dont blind incoming drivers but she can see. Guess I need to check them this weekend.

BTW, I only use my fog lights when it's foggy out -- and that's not too often.

I was thinking this very thing.

In my current truck I have fog lights that are operated independent of the headlights. I hardly turn them on. So does that mean a LEO can pull me over on "suspicion" (for lack of a better word) of them not being maintained... even though they're just off? I know it'll be easy enough to resolve that dispute... turn them on. But still... that's a lot of hassle on everyone's part for not much gain, or no gain at all.

Heck... since more and more cars have Daytime Running Lights these days... does that mean they can pull over a vehicle for failure to maintain the DRLs and then realize that that specific make/model doesn't have DRLs to maintain after the stop?

That seems terribly plausible...

Law enforcement while on duty is exempt from the cell phone law(I only quoted the section that specifically exempts them):

Seems completely safe to have a firefighter driving a 60,000lb+ truck, that is 40ft long, lights and sirens while talking on the phone.

Don't you dare talk about firefighters! Only cops, firefighters and emt drivers are qualified to talk on cell phones at high speeds! Obviously that is a joke. but on a serious note. Rough statistics on my experiences with police directly or watching things happen. 90% of the time the police are doing there job and are justified in their actions. the other 10% they could be lying, misinformed or they simply... Made a mistake. Not cop bashing but for someone to say Police won't give you a false ticket b/c they will loose their job, highly unlikely they will actually loose their job b/c then every ticket dismissed in court would result in a bunch of police out of work.

But to say so many times officers make stuff up??? Really an officer is going to put his job in jeopardy over a traffic offense?? I highly doubt it thats why there is internal affiars and AG guidelines for these things. To say I hate a forum where people bash police officers is a legitimate thing for me to say. Because of one bad expirience he writes that officers make things up and have huge egos to fulfill to me is total BS.

it's happened to me, its happened to my friends. Last night even I am at a red light. to my left is a city police officer. The car in front of me, spontaneously goes through the red light..for no reason! I look to my left thinking "this cop is going to get him!" it was a female cop busy texting away, looking up intermittently at the light. She saw the person go through, shook her head, and then kept texting...

Meanwhile, if she looked over at me and saw me texting at a stop, she could ticket me.

The point is, if they are writing legitimate tickets, and they have evidence, there is no reason for prosecutors to even do pleas. Charge the person with the crime and go to court, and beat them with your evidence. They don't want you to go to court, THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY. If they wanted you to actually learn your lesson, they would give you the most points possible so that with enough tickets, you would lose your license, be off the road, and no longer a danger to society. Don't give me this nonsense that the OP who had a stupid foglight out, got a "warning" because that officer was genuinely concerned for their "safety". It's nonsense.

"people honked at you so you must have been speeding" that is made up. Writing a speeding ticket and then saying "you can plead out of it" when i KNOW they didn't get me, is made up. If it wasn't made up, they would have given me the discovery.

It's conditional behavior. They know people don't contest. It gets to the point where they can do whatever they want, whether its truthful or embellished, and statistically, the driver will not put up a fight. They will plea it down because a court room and prosecutors is incredibly intimidating. Go to your municpal court on traffic day and listen to the women standing before a judge. They are mortified. They are THANKFUL to have the opportunity to pay the court money and leave as quickly as possible. Are you really making the world safer by sipping coffee on the parkway making people driving 65 mph SLAM on their brakes? Simply because of the fear of getting a ticket? If you catch someone genuinely speeding, write the summons and move on. If they ask for the evidence, you damn well better give it to the defendant. Anyone who argues against this doesn't believe in our court system.

Go to Paterson and be a vigilante there. Park your cruiser at the basketball court where there are gangfights on a nightly basis. Then we can talk. Leave the people alone who are driving to their job so that they can pay taxes to the state of NJ at 800 in the morning alone, and spare them the "i heard someone honking at you so you must have been speeding" lines.

She didnt get a ticket just a warning. For one, if its not illegal why did she even get a warning? Two, if it was out of courtesy, why did the cop run her license? Ive never heard of a cop caring about a citezen enough to pull them over to let them know about a fog light for their protection! Third, I wonder if she had something wrong like no insurance or no license if she would get out of it in court do to getting pulled over for a BS reason?

I agree, warning implies you broke the law, which it sounds like you did not. I am sorry but citizens have better things to do than be stopped for no reason. I would call the State Police and file a complant.

Maybe it's different over here but I always thought fog lights are amber or yellow while running lights are clear. The reason I was told is that clear beams only reflect off the fog defeating the purpose and actually making visibility worse while amber light cut through the fog. While living abroad fog lights were a mandatory piece of driving equipment that you could be ticketed for if non operational.Additionally, using true fog lights to increase visibility on a clear night is futile.

Cant you guys read. Her headlights are dim, eyesight is bad, and with the foglights on it really helps.

If she needs fog lights to get a sufficient amount of light you should look into fixing that issue. Fog lights are not a very good remedy for that.

So you are syaing officers are told to go out and write tickets to make money for towns????

That's kind of difficult to justify...since the town only gets 15% of fine monies for State Statutes.......but then again when have FACTS ever stopped some of the BS that gets tossed around (NOT Directed at you Scott)

Cant you guys read. Her headlights are dim, eyesight is bad, and with the foglights on it really helps.

If she needs fog lights to get a sufficient amount of light you should look into fixing that issue. Fog lights are not a very good remedy for that.

Fog light beam patterns are not the same as headlights. The beam cutoff is shorter, and they're designed to throw more light to the sides.

Headlights -- particularly plastic ones, do get dull and lose effectiveness over time. (In the "good old days" you could just buy a new pair of sealed beam headlights for a few bucks. Those were the days!) There are kits available for resurfacing plastic headlights. Non-factory replacement light assemblies are also available on eBay and aren't awfully expensive.

Why cause I just wanted some info? If you dont want to contribute dont post. I asked an honest question.

Your wife was stopped for having a light out. The driving (fog) lights were turned and one of the bulbs was not working. She was giving a written warning for it instead of a ticket and you are upset?

If my wife could not see properly while driving a vehicle due to poor lighting on the vehicle, I would replace the vehicle.

I wouldn't go as far as replacing the vehicle. But first get some good bulbs in there. Then replace the assembly if it doesn't help. Most cars have wright ups on forums how to get the assembly in and out. It's not difficult. I know eBay has a ton of decent oem or aftermarket assemblies. I never saw those plastic treatments work all that good which is why I don't personally recommend it. Unless someone knows of one that works.

Again read what I said. I replaced her headlight bulbs with silverstar ultras. Supposed to be the best bulb replacement but didnt do anything and her high beams arent much better if at all. With the hid foglights theres way more output than her highbeams. I would put hids in her headlights but thats just ANOTHER thing to get pulled over for!!!

I wouldn't go as far as replacing the vehicle. But first get some good bulbs in there. Then replace the assembly if it doesn't help. Most cars have wright ups on forums how to get the assembly in and out. It's not difficult. I know eBay has a ton of decent oem or aftermarket assemblies. I never saw those plastic treatments work all that good which is why I don't personally recommend it. Unless someone knows of one that works.

Yea I know this and know how to remove her headlights as Ive been working on cars all my life. The headlights lense is clear and has been dim since she bought it new. I thought of replacing it with those projector lenses with some hids but hate the ricer look. Oh yea and we dont have the $ to just go out and buy new vehicles like a lot of people on here do aparantly.

My funny LEO story. This is not made up.

On the same day, in separate cars and incidents, the following happened to a friend and I.

I was westbound on 80, doing about 5-10 over, going with the flow.

He was 287 southbound, same thing.

I saw a State Trooper in the median, and just kept rolling.

He saw a State Trooper in the median and stepped on his brakes.

We both got tickets.

I was given the ticket "Because you didn't show me and my car respect by slowing down when you saw me"

He was given a ticket "Because you were trying to fool me by slowing down when you saw me"

LOL. This was 15 years ago and we still laugh about it.

Yea I know this and know how to remove her headlights as Ive been working on cars all my life. The headlights lense is clear and has been dim since she bought it new. I thought of replacing it with those projector lenses with some hids but hate the ricer look. Oh yea and we dont have the $ to just go out and buy new vehicles like a lot of people on here do aparantly.

Who said it has to be new? Buy her a 10 year old Camry or Accord, great cars and affordable.

I'm under the impression that Troopers are required to keep a log of all traffic stops and dispositions which is the reason behind the written warnings, if they decide not to write the ticket. I could be entirely wrong and this policy may not exist but it sounds plausible.

So this morning my wife calls me pretty mad. Shes going to work and gets pulled over by state police. Woman walks up to her truck and tells her she pulled her over for a fog light being out. Im not starting anything here just want to know, is it really illegal to have a FOG light out? Headlight I can see but seriously? Im not starting anything here cause I have friends in LE but I know I woulda been pissed if she had made me late to work and figure the state police have way better things to do. Maybe some of the LE on here can shed some light.

I have no intention of reading the entire thread. I stopped once I saw that she recieved only a warning. I don't understand your issue. If nothing else, now you know you got a fog light out. Not sure how you would have found that out otherwise, until a time came that you really needed it and it didn't work.