gleninjersey

Started Application Process Today

Hello everyone. I have been reading some of the posts here to inform myself of the application process and to learn more about guns in general. WhiIe I am new to gun ownership I have shot a litte bit in the past (revolvers, semi auto hand guns, shotguns and rifles), Looking at purchasing a shotgun for home protection/self defense and a handgun.

I just dropped off the Firearm ID paperwork today and also made my online appointment to get fingerprinted and paid the fee ($55 ish) online at the same time. Fingerprinting appointment is for the 30th in the evening....they had earlier dates available but not at the times I could make it .....I work and don't home until after 6pm generally.

My visit to my town's police department to start the process was rather quick and painless. I had filled out the Firearms ID form prior to going and had to fill out two other forms while there. I was in and out in less than 25 minutes. I'll keep you posted on how the process goes.

I'm looking at a shotgun mostly for the wife...something easy to use and don't have to be too accurate. I was considering the Maverick HS12 because it looks very simple to use and operate. Only concern is it only holds two rounds but to stop or make an intruder flee I don't think you would need much more.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Maverick+Arms&mdl=HS-12&cat=2&type=Shotgun&cal=12+Gauge&fin=&sit=&zipcode=08812

I was also looking at some pump action Remingtons as well. How difficult is it to reload/pump? My wife isn't the strongest creature around and not too well coordinated. If easy, then it would resolve the two shot limitation of the Maverick HS12.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=82540&index=10&mfg=Remington&mdl=All&cat=2&type=Shotgun&cal=All&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=5012&index=4&mfg=Remington&mdl=All&cat=2&type=Shotgun&cal=All&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

I need to to some research on what handgun to purchase. Are there some ranges within a responsible drive of central NJ that one can rent/try out different handgun?

I'm looking at a shotgun mostly for the wife...something easy to use and don't have to be too accurate. I was considering the Maverick HS12 because it looks very simple to use and operate. Only concern is it only holds two rounds but to stop or make an intruder flee I don't think you would need much more.

First, welcome! Any of the shotguns you listed will do fine for home defense, but your quote about not having to be too accurate is not true. You still need to aim the firearm for it to be effective.

Welcome!

I have a remington 870. It is my home defense gun. I love it. Extremely easy to use and simple to operate.

For a handgun, take a look at a simple 9mm. Recoil is a bit easier and ammo is fairly cheap (if you can find it now)

I have a Glock 19 and it is my favorite handgun.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forums. What town are you in?

Couple of things to ask:

* Is your Wife 100% on board with you purchasing a gun?

* Would your wife consider getting her own FID?

There are a couple of reasons I ask this.

First off, if your wife is 100% on board with this, you may want to get her involved in choosing which shotgun to purchase. This board is a family and most of us her would be happy to invite you and your wife to shoot with us at a range. If you live in the Cherry Hill area or are close to Ft. Dix or Philadelphia, PM me. The two of you can try out some of my pistols and shotguns. If your wife is as small as my wife, she may want a 20 gauge shotgun instead of a 12.

There is nothing wrong with a double-barred shotgun. It's been used for home defense for over 150 years now. But in reality, a double-barrel is a farm implement that can be utilized as a self-defense weapon in a pinch. I think there may be better choices. There is a reason why the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are so popular. Plus you get 5 shots instead of 2.

I'm not saying that two rounds won't be enough for almost any situation, but the problem comes from that "what if" scenario of needing three rounds when the first two don't cut it. Reloading a double-barrel shotgun requires fine motor skills which break down under stress and you always fall back to your lowest level of training under stress. Are you and your wife willing to practice reloading 1,000 times until you can do it alone and in the dark while scared? Gunfights and home invasions don't happen under ideal conditions.

I personally think that the Mossberg 500 is easiest to load since you just drop the shell in the loading port and push with your thumb. It is also easier for lefties to use since the safety is on the top of the receiver. An 870 has a little duckbill on the loading port and you have to manually push the shell down and in, but that little duckbill keeps debris out of the loading port. The 870 also has a crossbolt safety which is a little harder for lefties, but not insurmountable. There are advantages with both systems. The Army uses Mossbergs. The Police use 870's. Whatever feels best to you is the better one to choose.

Shore Shot and Brick Armory are somewhat in the Central Jersey Area although more toward the coast. I know that Shore Shot rents and I think they rent by caliber, so you can buy a caliber package and shoot as many guns as you want in that caliber. I think Brick Armory rents, but I'm not sure. Like I said, plenty of people here would offer to meet you guys at a range and let you try out our stuff before you buy.

If you are getting a handgun and you don't plan to shoot very much (once or twice a year), consider purchasing a Glock 19, M&P9, Sig P226 or Springfield XD9. They all have have 15 round magazines (NJ legal limit). Or consider a revolver like a Ruger GP100 in .38 Special or S&W 686. There is a simple reason for this. None of those guns have manual safeties. Like I said before, you will always fall back to your lowest level of training and you don't want to be defending your home and trying to flick off a manual safety if you don't practice very much.

I would stick with 9mm or .38 Special for now because that ammo is fairly plentiful and easy on the wallet. Going with .40 cal or something esoteric like a .357 Sig or 5.7mm doesn't make that much sense for a new shooter because of the cost of the round. Take it from me. My first handgun was a .40 cal and it took me 10 years and a hew hundred dollars to realize that I should have gotten a 9mm.

If you plan to turn this into a hobby, then you can start looking into guns with manual safeties like the Berettas, CZ's, HK's, FN's and 1911's. I shoot my Beretta handguns every Tuesday night at a range in Philadelphia and my shotguns once a month at Ft. Dix. I'm at the point where flicking off the safety is built into my muscle memory, but this took years to do. My first handgun was a Glock and it's a fine first handgun although the M&P9 is everything the Glock should have been and should be considered by anyone who looks at a Glock.

Again, welcome to the forums. Please watch the two videos below and seriously consider joining the NRA and NJ2AS.com

Any chance that I will see you at the Rally in Trenton on the 8th?

Wife is on board with the purchases after many years of not wanting to. I think a friend's story of being home with her two young children while her husband was way when two people broke into their house in broad daylight and the fact that the wife had a gun, knew how to use it and let the intruders know that (after she dialed 911) may have had something to do with briningin her around....and similiar recent news events that are very similar in nature.

I intend to have her try out the shotguns. Not sure if she would want to get her own Firearm ID. Is it really necessary? We aren't looking to buy several guns.

Thanks for the info about the ranges and rentals. We are in central NJ area near Bridgewater. Wife doesn't want me being too specific. Won't be attending the rally.

I intend to have her try out the shotguns. Not sure if she would want to get her own Firearm ID. Is it really necessary? We aren't looking to buy several guns.

You would be surprised how fast 2 guns turns into 10 if you catch the bug and it turns into a hobby. I had 1 gun for years then I got a new job and sat in a cube next to a Marine who loved Glocks. We fed off each other and he turned a home defense tool into a hobby for me. It didn't take long for the safe collection to grow, although my stuff is mainly for sporting and fun.

It isn't absolutely necessary that your wife get her own FID. It's just useful so that she can use it to buy ammo if she is at Dicks and notices it on sale. Helpful, but not necessary.

Tactical Monkey has a list of range locations and info. There was a google map of this, but I've can't find it. Maybe somebody else can?

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21702-new-jersey-range-locations-information/

You could go west to Heritage Guild in Easton

http://www.heritageguild.com/rentals.aspx

or southeast to Brick / Toms River for Brick Armory / Shore Shot

You are also pretty close to Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club:

obrpc.org

They don't rent, but someone from Old Bridge will probably chime in soon and let you come on as a guest.

+1 for your wife getting her own FID. Your wife should be able to work the slide of either of those shotguns just fine, but a shorter barreled pump is what I would steer you towards and not a double. Find a nice old, original Ithaca pump, even better! The real thing for it to be effective in her hands will be finding a load that she can handle - effectively - and provides for good defense. Nice thing about a pump, you can progressively load your shells from a light shot to buck.

Are there any laws pertaining to defensive ammo?

It depends.

Hollow point bullets are perfectly legal in your home, place of business, at the range & gun store or transporting to or from one of those locations.

All the same, as the Arabs say: Trust in Allah but tie your camel. Do you really want to be that guy who gets slapped with an additional charge because some prosecutor thinks that hollow point ammo is illegal? The charges may be dropped, but you will be dealing with enough if God forbid you ever actually have to shoot someone. Don't add confusion about hollow points to the list.

Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon Pow-r-ball and Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ) are not considered hollow points. I use Hornandy Critical Defense and just bought a box of Federal EFMJ. As an added bonus, the little polymer ball or round-nosed bullet helps feed the cartridges better.

It depends.

Hollow point bullets are perfectly legal in your home, place of business, at the range & gun store or transporting to or from one of those locations.

All the same, as the Arabs say: Trust in Allah but tie your camel. Do you really want to be that guy who gets slapped with an additional charge because some prosecutor thinks that hollow point ammo is illegal? The charges may be dropped, but you will be dealing with enough if God forbid you ever actually have to shoot someone. Don't add confusion about hollow points to the list.

Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon Pow-r-ball and Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ) are not considered hollow points. I use Hornandy Critical Defense and just bought a box of Federal EFMJ. As an added bonus, the little polymer ball or round-nosed bullet helps feed the cartridges better.

Thanks for the response but I'm still confused so please bear with me.

If a prosecutor believes HP's are illegal why would he not believe that the defensive ammo you mentioned is illegal?

BTW, ATM I have a 12ga that needs "legal" (whatever that is??) home defense ammo and I am curious about "legal" HD ammo for handguns.

Thanks for the response but I'm still confused so please bear with me.

If a prosecutor believes HP's are illegal why would he not believe that the defensive ammo you mentioned is illegal?

BTW, ATM I have a 12ga that needs "legal" (whatever that is??) home defense ammo and I am curious about "legal" HD ammo for handguns.

Ok. I am not a lawyer, but here is the law:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

So you are perfectly allowed to keep and shoot hollow point ammunition on your property.

But that being said... a couple years back there was a study where a group held four mock trials, and darn it, I can't find the link. But the basic premise was that the homeowner was accused of shooting in self defense, but made one critical mistake, such as continuing to shoot after the robber left the house or some fatal mistake.

In each "trial" the fake homeowner used a different gun.

In the first he used a black semi-auto pistol.

In the second he used a snub-nosed revolver.

In the third, he used an AR-15.

In the forth he used a Ruger Mini-14.

Although the mock jury convicted the homeowner every time, he got a lesser sentence when he used the snub-nosed revolver or Ruger Mini-14. Why do you think that is?

Perception.

All you need is a prosecutor who wants to make a name for himself and they will find something to make your life miserable, even if it was a "good" shoot. Now that being said, do you want cartridges called: "Flesh Ripping Black Talon" or "Guardian Home Defense" rounds?

Think I'm wrong? Read this link about a man who was protecting his bodega from robbery:

http://www.northjers..._legal_gun.html

His fatal mistake was that he ran out of his bodega and shot at the men who were fleeing. I don't know if the prosecutors have charged the bodega owner yet. I can't find any further information on the case. But the fact that they are even having the conversation about charging him should give you pause when considering the type of ammunition to select.

A couple months back, someone on this forum thought about using Hornady Zombie Max ammunition as self-defense ammo in this thread here:

http://njgunforums.c...__fromsearch__1

I replied:

I think the type of gun and ammunition comes into play if you are involved in a "good" shoot that goes bad. You shoot a bad guy and he stumbles out of your house and dies on the driveway. You fire a "warning" shot that goes through your house and wounds a neighbor. And so on... in a case like that, I could see how you would want a bullet called "Critical Defense" instead of "Zombie Max."

Just imagine being on trial and the prosecutor saying: "He was living in a gun fantasy world, Your Honor. He loaded his gun with anti-zombie ammunition."

But to answer your direct question, there is a letter from the state police (again posted somewhere on here and in circulation) that defines certain types of ammunition as "not considered hollow point."

So all that being said, just do yourself a favor and get Federal EFMJ or Hornandy Critical Defense. The stuff feeds better anyway.

Hornandy and Remington make HD buckshot rounds although I use just standard 00 Remington Buckshot. I don't think there is much of a difference between standard buckshot and home defense buckshot, but it couldn't hurt to pay the extra 2 dollars for something that says "home defense" on it. My shotguns aren't used in the HD role. But if they were a primary HD weapon, I would get the Hornady or Remington Home Defense rounds just because they say "home defense" on the box.

My wife got her own FID. She doesn't shoot (yet) but we figured it was a good idea.

Two reasons. If she ever has to use my guns for self defense or home defense, having a FID is one less thing for the law to "get" you on.

The other is that if I pass away she can inherit my firearms with less trouble. I don't have a big collection yet but who knows. I would rather have whatever I have stay in the family instead of being seized and ending up god knows where.

Besides it's only a few bucks... and it his accepted as a form of ID when renewing your driver license.

There was a review on Maverick HS12.. It does not shoot when pointed down....some kind of mechanical blocking thingy.

So lets say you are on top of the stairs and shooting down at home invader, you might be in for a surprise. Winchester 1300 is a solid choice.

Welcome to the forums. What town are you in?

Couple of things to ask:

* Is your Wife 100% on board with you purchasing a gun?

* Would your wife consider getting her own FID?

There are a couple of reasons I ask this.

First off, if your wife is 100% on board with this, you may want to get her involved in choosing which shotgun to purchase. This board is a family and most of us her would be happy to invite you and your wife to shoot with us at a range. If you live in the Cherry Hill area or are close to Ft. Dix or Philadelphia, PM me. The two of you can try out some of my pistols and shotguns. If your wife is as small as my wife, she may want a 20 gauge shotgun instead of a 12.

There is nothing wrong with a double-barred shotgun. It's been used for home defense for over 150 years now. But in reality, a double-barrel is a farm implement that can be utilized as a self-defense weapon in a pinch. I think there may be better choices. There is a reason why the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are so popular. Plus you get 5 shots instead of 2.

I'm not saying that two rounds won't be enough for almost any situation, but the problem comes from that "what if" scenario of needing three rounds when the first two don't cut it. Reloading a double-barrel shotgun requires fine motor skills which break down under stress and you always fall back to your lowest level of training under stress. Are you and your wife willing to practice reloading 1,000 times until you can do it alone and in the dark while scared? Gunfights and home invasions don't happen under ideal conditions.

I personally think that the Mossberg 500 is easiest to load since you just drop the shell in the loading port and push with your thumb. It is also easier for lefties to use since the safety is on the top of the receiver. An 870 has a little duckbill on the loading port and you have to manually push the shell down and in, but that little duckbill keeps debris out of the loading port. The 870 also has a crossbolt safety which is a little harder for lefties, but not insurmountable. There are advantages with both systems. The Army uses Mossbergs. The Police use 870's. Whatever feels best to you is the better one to choose.

Shore Shot and Brick Armory are somewhat in the Central Jersey Area although more toward the coast. I know that Shore Shot rents and I think they rent by caliber, so you can buy a caliber package and shoot as many guns as you want in that caliber. I think Brick Armory rents, but I'm not sure. Like I said, plenty of people here would offer to meet you guys at a range and let you try out our stuff before you buy.

If you are getting a handgun and you don't plan to shoot very much (once or twice a year), consider purchasing a Glock 19, M&P9, Sig P226 or Springfield XD9. They all have have 15 round magazines (NJ legal limit). Or consider a revolver like a Ruger GP100 in .38 Special or S&W 686. There is a simple reason for this. None of those guns have manual safeties. Like I said before, you will always fall back to your lowest level of training and you don't want to be defending your home and trying to flick off a manual safety if you don't practice very much.

I would stick with 9mm or .38 Special for now because that ammo is fairly plentiful and easy on the wallet. Going with .40 cal or something esoteric like a .357 Sig or 5.7mm doesn't make that much sense for a new shooter because of the cost of the round. Take it from me. My first handgun was a .40 cal and it took me 10 years and a hew hundred dollars to realize that I should have gotten a 9mm.

If you plan to turn this into a hobby, then you can start looking into guns with manual safeties like the Berettas, CZ's, HK's, FN's and 1911's. I shoot my Beretta handguns every Tuesday night at a range in Philadelphia and my shotguns once a month at Ft. Dix. I'm at the point where flicking off the safety is built into my muscle memory, but this took years to do. My first handgun was a Glock and it's a fine first handgun although the M&P9 is everything the Glock should have been and should be considered by anyone who looks at a Glock.

Again, welcome to the forums. Please watch the two videos below and seriously consider joining the NRA and NJ2AS.com

Any chance that I will see you at the Rally in Trenton on the 8th?

These videos are great. Posting them to my facebook.

Thanks

Just to keep everyone abreast of my progression and to give others newbies a sense of the process...

I went to the fingerprinting company on Wed evening. I was in and out in less than 10 minues (probably closer to 5!). I had paid in advance online so I'm sure that saved a little bit of time. As you have to make an appointment, they were expecting me and there were no other people waiting. They don't use ink anymore so there was no mess and no cleaning up.

I believe I need to call the officer handeling my application an let him know the fingerprinting has been completed. He mentioned they can't proceed with the applicaiton until that was done. Not sure if I need to drop off my receipt from the fingerprinting company or just inform the officer...will update later.

The PD will get the fingerprint results automatically. What you really want to do is follow up on your references. Make sure the references have received their forms and then make sure they fill them out and send them back. One of mine was lost in the mail and my reference never got it. The PD resent and all was right. The good news is my FID took 32 days - dropped it off 1/4/13.

The PD will get the fingerprint results automatically. What you really want to do is follow up on your references. Make sure the references have received their forms and then make sure they fill them out and send them back.

+1 the kitchen tables of NJ are filled with references that friends have forgotten to fill out.

Okay, I'll follow up with the references. The officer in charge of the FIDs made it sound as if all they do if a telephone reference. I'll touch base with my references this week. I also left a voicemail for the officer earlier today asking if I had to drop a copy of the receipt from the fingerprinting or needed to make another appointment. I'll ask him if the references will be mailed questionaires or done by telephone. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll ask him if the references will be mailed questionaires or done by telephone.

Maybe your town PD has different rules, but in my case it was by mail, not by phone. In fact, I was the one who wrote addresses on the PD envelopes on my appointment when I brought in the papers. I contatced my references to make sure they folow-up, and they did.

As for the fingerprinting, it is all "automatic", no need to follow-up on this.

The whole process, from application to getting the papers took about three months. As I can see from the papers, the FID was ready in one month, but permits apparently took much longer. I guess the officer in charge didn't want to make extra appointment just to give me FID and another one for permits. No problem with that.

On the long list of handguns I'm considering is the .357 and I came across this video about a .327:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=GP141-C&index=1&mfg=Ruger&mdl=All&cat=1&type=Revolver&cal=357&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

and was wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience with it. What interested most was the lower recoil than a .357 and towards the end where they are talking about the 5.5 inch .327 Blackhawk that holds 8 rounds and is able to accept .32 rounds. It sounds like a well rounded gun for a beginner and if I ever want to get my wife out to shoot the recoil sounds much more managable than a .357.

I guess my main concern is I have never before heard of a .327 or .32 round and am wondering how expensive the ammo would be compared to more poplular rounds (.357, .38, 9mm, 45mm, etc) and how available the ammo is. While the .327 sounds interesting if the ammo is substantially more expensive and harder to find than other ammo than that would influence my consideration of it. Right now I'm very interested in trying this out.

Any insight/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

On the long list of handguns I'm considering is the .357 and I came across this video about a .327:

http://www.galleryof...=&sit=&pid==

and was wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience with it. What interested most was the lower recoil than a .357 and towards the end where they are talking about the 5.5 inch .327 Blackhawk that holds 8 rounds and is able to accept .32 rounds. It sounds like a well rounded gun for a beginner and if I ever want to get my wife out to shoot the recoil sounds much more managable than a .357.

I guess my main concern is I have never before heard of a .327 or .32 round and am wondering how expensive the ammo would be compared to more poplular rounds (.357, .38, 9mm, 45mm, etc) and how available the ammo is. While the .327 sounds interesting if the ammo is substantially more expensive and harder to find than other ammo than that would influence my consideration of it. Right now I'm very interested in trying this out.

Any insight/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

.357 is a great choice, as you can always shoot .38 specials in it to save $$ and reduce recoil a bit. That was my first handgun way back when.

.357 is a great choice, as you can always shoot .38 specials in it to save $$ and reduce recoil a bit. That was my first handgun way back when.

Thanks JM. I realize that and that is one of the reasons I'm looking at the .327 as well. Most specificially b/c it seems to have less recoil and the ability to use .32 rounds. I need to google the prices of ammo though to see how much of a price differential there is between the .327 & .32 caliber ammo compared to more "main stream" ammo (9mm, .357, .38, .45, etc). I was also wondering how easy it is to find .327 & .32 ammo. If the ammo is more expensive and harder to find than others I may have to cross it off the list.

Thanks JM. I realize that and that is one of the reasons I'm looking at the .327 as well. Most specificially b/c it seems to have less recoil and the ability to use .32 rounds. I need to google the prices of ammo though to see how much of a price differential there is between the .327 & .32 caliber ammo compared to more "main stream" ammo (9mm, .357, .38, .45, etc). I was also wondering how easy it is to find .327 & .32 ammo. If the ammo is more expensive and harder to find than others I may have to cross it off the list.

It is actually the same caliber ammo, .357 mag & .38 special (not .32). The magnum is slightly longer (I believe 0.100 of an inch or so) which will prevent it from being fired in a .38.

Yes, they are town specific. They are usually done on township letterhead and signed by the chief of police by that town.. Unfortunately, you cannot send reference inquiries yourself.

I guess it depends on the town. My job verification was getting bounced around to the wrong departments at my job for three weeks. I asked last week if I could just get the form and hand it to them to fill out and they gave me one no problem. The women handling my paperwork also sent the fax to my payroll dept. at work last friday and called a minute after to make sure they got it and asked them to fill it out and fax it back. I had my copy filled out as well just in case. I called today and asked if she wanted me to bring in my copy because my job was too slow and she said that she got it back on friday and told me to keep the one I had as backup just in case the detective needed it. Said I should get the call this week for permit and license pickup. This thursday will be 8 weeks since I turned my papers in but I am very pleased with my towns efforts in getting things done. My job was the reason for the delay and could have been done 3 weeks ago.