skorpion317

Guy arrested in Jersey City for "Assault" weapon possession

Not just the right to bear arms, but also our 4th Amendment rights, which if that story is even only half true, were clearly violated.

Heck, if the threat reported in the post is true, that sounds like it could be criminal under 2C:12-1 or 2C:12-3.

Of all the people with AR15 type rifles in NJ, it's an activist that gets arrested for illegal possession of an assault weapon?

Keeping a pistol by your side but wearing headphones so you can't hear someone knocking on your door.

Hiring Nappen to represent you.

I wish the guy the best.

Of all the people with AR15 type rifles in NJ, it's an activist that gets arrested for illegal possession of an assault weapon?

Keeping a pistol by your side but wearing headphones so you can't hear someone knocking on your door.

Hiring Nappen to represent you.

I wish the guy the best.

What does all that mean? I do not follow your reasoning here. If I would be living in Newark, I would have my gun next to me as well

If it turns out that the story is true and the rifle does not have enough evil features, or was permanently altered to not have them... Then I will be more then happy to go to bat for this guy including donations.

If this is true, then he can be any one of the thousands of us that have been playing the NJ AWB game according to their rules. Another example on how we are guilty until proven innocent in this state.

If it turns out that the story is true and the rifle does not have enough evil features, or was permanently altered to not have them... Then I will be more then happy to go to bat for this guy including donations.

If this is true, then he can be any one of the thousands of us that have been playing the NJ AWB game according to their rules. Another example on how we are guilty until proven innocent in this state.

If this is really the case, if the gun was in compliance and they arrested him anyway perhaps a call to the SAF is in order as they are currently challenging California's AWB on similar grounds.

SAF FILES CONSTITUTIONAL CHALLENGE OF CALIFORNIA ‘ASSAULT WEAPONS’ LAW

Great work on getting information from "another side" about this case using forum's members resources.

This story didn't smell right from the beginning, especially "Police did not say what led them to Pantaleon's residence."

And that analogy "Police say Adam Lanza was armed with a Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle and handguns when he killed 20 students ages 7 and under and six staff members at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in December" - such a stinky journalism.

To be honest, if the circumstances behind the entrance and search to begin with, are anything like what was reported in the post, whether or not the rifle was NJ compliant or not shouldn't matter much, as the search and seizure itself would have been blatantly unconstitutional in the first place! Getting away with violating the 4th is equally (if not more!) concerning to me as not following the 2nd.

To be honest, if the circumstances behind the entrance and search to begin with, are anything like what was reported in the post, whether or not the rifle was NJ compliant or not shouldn't matter much, as the search and seizure itself would have been blatantly unconstitutional in the first place! Getting away with violating the 4th is equally (if not more!) concerning to me as not following the 2nd.

this.

Update from the donation website as of 2/20/2013

UPDATE ON WHAT HAPPENED-THE OWNER'S SIDE OF THE STORY- Yesterday I spoke to the owner who let the cops into Keith's apartment.He described the incident in this way-The upstairs neighbor was complaining about the heating problem. He said the guy upstairs from Keith is sick with diabetes and is also has some mental problems. The upstairs neighbor, according the owner, ALWAYS complains about people, tenants in the building, and calls the cops a lot. On this evening he was complaining about the heat and thought that Keith was turning the heat off when he would leave for work. The owner explained that there was something wrong with the heating system and that someone would be there to fix it Saturday.The tenant initially said ok. The owner said that the tenant complained again about it because he could hear Keith laughing about something inside his apartment and believed that Keith was laughing about him so he called the police. When the police arrived they 1st spoke to the neighbor who made the complaint. They then went next door to the owners apartment. The owner said they were very forceful with him and talked to him like he was working for them, demanding that he open Keith's apartment and fix the problem. The owner explained that he could not fix the problem and could not get anyone there before Saturday. The police threatened the owner and said he needed to fix it now. When the owner opened Keith's apartment the officer walked in and knocked on Keith's bedroom door ( this is the loud noise Keith said he heard through his headphones) He had NO idea that there are people inside his apartment so he grabs the zipper pouch with his hand gun inside. When he sees the police at the front with the landlord and someone in his living room he puts it down, but the officer saw the motion, drew his gun on him, and asked what it was he had in his hand. With guns drawn they went into his room, found the zipper pouch, unzipped it to reveal the hand gun, and place Keith under arrest. This is what the landlord described.

This is still sounds bit fishy to me. Why would someone secure attorney first and not bail?

Where is confirmation that attorney has been secured?

I would donate more In a heart beat, but at this time, i need some proof and not stories.

This is still sounds bit fishy to me. Why would someone secure attorney first and not bail?

Where is confirmation that attorney has been secured?

I would donate more In a heart beat, but at this time, i need some proof and not stories.

Yep- looking for confirmation that Mr Nappen will be taking this on.

Fundraiser for his legal defense here - www.gofundme. com/Stand4Keith

From what I've read, he had an AR-15 that had a bayonet mount and a threaded barrel. He also had a couple 30-round magazines.

The police apparently entered his home without a search warrant, let in by his landlord who had called the cops when he found out this guy owned guns.

While he allegedly broke NJ law, most here would agree that the law is wrong. I think we all need to help this guy out.

doesn't matter if he broke the law in this instance......they entered his home without a warrant? that's bs.......

1. Get it thrown out of court

2. Sue the land lord for letting police in

3. Sue police for unlawfully search and seizure without search warrant

4. Go broke doing all of the above.

I just love it when people say to sue without considering the cost to do so without any certainty of winning a dime. No lawyer is going to get it thrown out of court for a contingency fee so you will pay for his time. The landlord owns the property and if he saw something illegal, he has every right to call the police and let them in. It would be the same as if he found a meth lab in the apartment. Good luck in suing the police when they were let in by the property owner whose reason for calling them turned out to be correct in that illegal firearms were present. No warrant is needed when there is reasonable suspecion. In this case there was an eye witness to the illegal firearms plus they were let in and did find what was reported to them. Good luck on any of the above or finding a lawyer willing to take this on for free.

I just love it when people say to sue without considering the cost to do so without any certainty of winning a dime. No lawyer is going to get it thrown out of court for a contingency fee so you will pay for his time. The landlord owns the property and if he saw something illegal, he has every right to call the police and let them in. It would be the same as if he found a meth lab in the apartment. Good luck in suing the police when they were let in by the property owner whose reason for calling them turned out to be correct in that illegal firearms were present. No warrant is needed when there is reasonable suspecion. In this case there was an eye witness to the illegal firearms plus they were let in and did find what was reported to them. Good luck on any of the above or finding a lawyer willing to take this on for free.

You didn't read any of the updates, apparently.

The reason the police were called was because an upstairs neighbor (who apparently calls the police frequently for frivolous reasons) thought that Keith (the man who was arrested) had turned off his heat. The boiler was in Keith's apartment. The police demanded that the landlord let them in to the apartment. They weren't looking for guns at all.

Try again.

The landlord does not have the right to search an apartment. He can come in for a VERY narrow list of reasons. One is immediate maintenance. If what was said is true. The landlord knew of the heat problem and could not do anything about it until the next Saturday. No immediate reason to enter. The LEO's had ZERO reason to enter the apartment. They had ZERO reason to search the apartment.

Well if the heat was off and it was very cold that day then there is a reason to be in the apt. People need the heat when it's cold. Not saying this is the case but it could be an answer why they were let in

A reason for the landlord, yes, not the LEO's. They had no business being in the apartment. The complaint was about the heating, that has nothing to do with the cops, they showed up and got the landlord involved, that was where they needed to draw the line.

Well if the heat was off and it was very cold that day then there is a reason to be in the apt. People need the heat when it's cold. Not saying this is the case but it could be an answer why they were let in

Absolutely correct. The problem with that line of thought (according to the story), was the landlord already knew about the problem and couldn't get it fixed until the following Saturday. Hence no reason to enter.

Not arguing your point, but what were the landlord or the cops going to do in his apartment anyway? It's not like any of them were capable or at least willing to fix the broken boiler. Without a repairman there, I don't see what they thought would be accomplished by them going into his apartment.