Sign in to follow this  
BlueLineFish

.22 revolvers

.22LR revolvers are nice. They teach you greater trigger control and they help improve your trigger strength. Also, they don't throw rounds everywhere when shooting, and for the most part, they will shoot any .22LR ammunition. However, in order to be reliable with rimfire ammunition, they have to strike the cartridge quite stoutly and thus have a heavy trigger pull and/or take a lot to cock the hammer. Also, I don't enjoy cleaning them and think it is a PITA.

The Smith & Wesson 317 and 617 are both great models to get and I would say the standard. The Ruger SP101 is very nice, but the trigger is much nicer on the more expensive Smiths. However, it is built like a tank. On a budget, the Taurus 992 with the ability to shoot both .22LR and .22WMR would be a nice one to get.

A Charter Arms Pathfinder might also be a good value.

The S&W 617 is a classic; Ruger's SP101 is a great gun if you can find one and the Single Six is a legend and blah blah you know what?

Get something crazy like the NAA Mini Master or Black Widow with the Venom Laser. They come in LR & magnum with a conversion cylinder, apparently. I've never shot one but I think they'd be a cool piece for the collection.

naa-vm_13_large.jpg

Does anyone here own a Ruger SP101 .22?

Like BlueLineFish, I'm also in the market for a .22 revolver and the Smith and Wesson 63/617/317 are all so expensive...so I came across this Ruger article: http://www.thetrutha...01-22-revolver/ His main complaints were small grip size and heavy trigger pull.

I held one at a PA gun show and the grip is a bit small, but liveable. However, it had a trigger lock (and I know not to dryfire a rimfire weapon) so I couldn't feel the trigger pull myself.

What do you guys think, is the trigger pull as bad as the reviewer says? (I'm looking at this to introduce a 60 year old, wrist-problem woman to firearms and eventually use it as a "trail gun" myself)

• Like 1

I have the S&W model 63. Nice piece. 22lr only. Boring as hell to shoot. No recoil, no feedback, blah. I wish I got the S&W 317 kit gun wich is an all aluminum model 63. At least there would be some recoil. But then again, I'm kind of a recoil junkie.

which is excactly the reason I got the 63- for my wife to get in on the fun and a form of self defense, does have 8 rds.She did NOT like 9mm "way" too much noise and recoil! Now that she has shot it and actully likes it, on to the light 38 loads , and maybe a 357 accidently thrown in lol-j/k Btw it is fun to pop away with and cheap to load.

I looked for months for the 317 or 63 without luck - ended up getting a CA Pathfinder. It's not bad for a cheap .22 revolver. Finish is a little crude and trigger is a bit rough but is starting to smooth out. It seems to be built well and shoots reasonably good. I will still grab one of the S&Ws or maybe a used Colt Diamondback if I can find one.

I have the Smith and Wesson K-22 Masterpiece with 8 3/8" tube. Accurate enough to shoot the A$$ off of a mouse at 5 yards. Don't ask me HOW I know this--it's a long story and the round is still in the linoleum, lol!

I have the 617 with 4in. barrel. I shot both the 4 and the 6 and I like the 4 better. The 6in. was just to heavy out front and then to shoot a .22lr out of it, I couldn't feel it leave the barrel. The 4in while still heavy for a .22 is 6ozs.lighter and to me made a big difference

I have a 5" S&W 63-4, it is very accurate and reliable, me & my family have put about 3000 rounds through it so far with no problems whatsoever. It's accurate and easy to shoot. It takes forever to clean it properly, and the factory grip may be too small for larger hands.

I bought the S&W 617 ten shot .22lr Revolver with a 4" barrel. I do not think it gets better than this for a .22lr revolver. For fun I have a Ruger LCR .22 magnum. Good practice gun and I would not feel terribly under armed with one for defense. I can shoot the 617 so fast that sometimes people think I am shooting a full automatic pistol. :) The new .22 mag ammo from Speer and Hornady come close to .380 performance and are very easy to place were you aim them very rapidly.

For you specific needs take a look at the Ruger SA single six combo gun. I had one and it comes with both a .22lr and .22 mag cylinder that you can easily swap out. Only thing I did not like about it was trying to pry those swollen fired cases out of it one by one. :)

Bones, how do you like the trigger?

The double action is long and stiff. Single action is nice and breaks clean. I haven't shot it a whole lot unfortunately. .22 ammo is hard to come by...

Well I ordered the Taurus tracker but still want a Smith and Wesson. What's the differences between the 63 and the k22

I had a tracker for about 2 months then sold it. I didn't care for the really heavy trigger pull and the cylinder kept locking after about 50 rounds. I had the 7 shot one did u get 7 or 9? Hope u get a better one than I did but it def left me turned off from tarus

The S&W 617 is a classic; Ruger's SP101 is a great gun if you can find one and the Single Six is a legend and blah blah you know what?

Get something crazy like the NAA Mini Master or Black Widow with the Venom Laser. They come in LR & magnum with a conversion cylinder, apparently. I've never shot one but I think they'd be a cool piece for the collection.

naa-vm_13_large.jpg

I have an NAA mini revolver and they are interesting to show people but a PIA to reload as you have to take them apart to do so. Also the tiny grips, even on the Black Widow you pictured, accuracy is problematic at more than a few feet/yards distance. Sure you can shoot slow and hit things further out but it takes a lot of practice and why bother since they will never be a target gun? They are cool however. :) I am going to get the new one they have out which has a swing our cylinder just like the regular revolvers. I believe it is called the Sidewinder. Someone even makes a speed loader for it and now we are talking. :)