pjd832

another "im the only one in this room qualified enough to handle......" moment

md police instructor shoots recruit in forehead.....

http://www.wbal.com/...en-Gun-Went-Off-

More details are emerging today about the accidental shooting that left a University of Maryland police recruit in critical condition at Shock Trauma.

An instructor apparently was "horsing around" with the trainees when he pointed his service handgun at them and it went off.

The Sun reports that the trainees were peering through a window at Officer William Kern when he "playfully" reached for the gun and it fired...a bullet hitting one of the recruits in the forehead. It also happened during a time when class was not underway.

The recruits were learning how to enter buildings using shields in Tuesday's exercise.

Normally the instructors use specially marked simulated handguns but this time he reportedly grabbed his own sidearm.

Officer Kern is on paid administrative leave pending the investigation by Maryland State Police.

The name of the recruit has not been made public.

Aww man.

I know it may seem a bit overboard but I have a hard and fast rule to never point in someones direction ever. Unloaded, double checked, triple checked, even then.

I try to instill this habit in anyone that I'm introducing to firearms.

Sometimes in a training enviroment that is impossible. It is a horrible mistake that could have been prevented.

Do shootings like this get lumped together with all the others in terms of the statistics that they use against us? How about a seperate listing of gun injuries/ fatalities by police/criminals, those being the ones gun laws wont stop compared to any other gun injurirs/fatalities. Im not starting a fight, but I would like to see the numbers and I think its relevant in understanding our fight, for instance if the nj gov passes those laws, how about a report 6 months later as to how many hi-cap magazines were turned in in our high crime areas, to show the law worked, or didnt.

Sometimes in a training enviroment that is impossible. It is a horrible mistake that could have been prevented.

An instructor apparently was "horsing around" with the trainees when he pointed his service handgun at them and it went off.

This was no mistake. This incident is the the definition of negligent discharge. I'd go as far as to say criminally negligent.

In fairness, the article claims the instructor was "apparently horsing around". There is no evidence to indicate this was blatantly negligent.

In the presence of that evidence, I would tend to agree. This would be criminally negligent. Horsing around with firearms is a no no.

This was no mistake. This incident is the the definition of negligent discharge. I'd go as far as to say criminally negligent.

ND is just that. He meant to pull the trigger apparently just with the wrong gun..a mistake. A horrible mistake.

All very confusing. In my 'formal paid for' handgun training they said. NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT.

So the cop took a course too, right? So I guess he wanted to shoot.

Yah yah yah not funny. In fact disgusting. But it's all twisted up with the anti gun crap out there. I'm getting ready to puke (on the NJ statehouse).

Do shootings like this get lumped together with all the others in terms of the statistics that they use against us? How about a seperate listing of gun injuries/ fatalities by police/criminals, those being the ones gun laws wont stop compared to any other gun injurirs/fatalities. Im not starting a fight, but I would like to see the numbers and I think its relevant in understanding our fight, for instance if the nj gov passes those laws, how about a report 6 months later as to how many hi-cap magazines were turned in in our high crime areas, to show the law worked, or didn't.

Yup, justifiable homicide, friendly fire, homicide and suicide are all lumped in under firearms deaths. Fatal accidental discharges get broken out, but I don't know if they are or are not also counted in the previous lump.

Just started an argument withsomeone over the failed trigger discipline of certain LEOs. (Not trying to bash our boys in blue, just saying that a badge is not a substitute for being careful.)

NYPD by the Empire State Building, LAPD shooting the wrong cars on sight with no questions asked, and now this? I'm sorry, but the only hands I trust 100% with a gun are my own. (They're the only ones I have control over)

What are the odds it was a Glock?

Well that takes the heat off SERPA for the moment.

nypd triggers are not designed for accuracy but rather safety. Quite ironic if you think about it. The glocks have 11 pound triggers. Mine has 8.5 and it sucks

In my own experience the NY-1 trigger spring does improve accuracy when combined with the lighter 3.5# connector. Overall it is a pound or so heavier than the OE Glock trigger but smooth and consistent until it breaks and without slack. I've never tried the NY-2 trigger, it sounds unpleasant.

In fairness, the article claims the instructor was "apparently horsing around". There is no evidence to indicate this was blatantly negligent.

In the presence of that evidence, I would tend to agree. This would be criminally negligent. Horsing around with firearms is a no no.

If he was truly "horsing around," it IS blatantly negligent. Horsing around is fine when "oops" doesn't mean "dead."

Umm dude, that's being negligent.

My brother is MD cop, I need to ask him about this tomorrow.

Everybody expects EVERY agency to have all the bells, whistles and toys for training...i worked for one of the larger Municipal depts and we had...NOTHING. I worked with a countywide unit made up of officers from all municipal, county, Transit and PAPD..and when we trained we did it with out regular weapons.. the Difference was that You did not Enter the training area without literally getting patted down and ensuring you had NO Live ammunition on your person. yeah there are a lot of questions that have to be answered here.

Everybody expects EVERY agency to have all the bells, whistles and toys for training...i worked for one of the larger Municipal depts and we had...NOTHING. I worked with a countywide unit made up of officers from all municipal, county, Transit and PAPD..and when we trained we did it with out regular weapons.. the Difference was that You did not Enter the training area without literally getting patted down and ensuring you had NO Live ammunition on your person. yeah there are a lot of questions that have to be answered here.

I would agree, my other brother is a Redbank cop, they are given garbage to train with, no shot guns no carbines to fall back on If and when the SHTF. Hell they cant even carry a back up gun in their vest, My brother that is a MD cop was also a NJ cop for awhile then he went to WDC hated the hell out of it now he is in MD. They have decent equipment but if they want a Shotgun or AR carbine they have to supply their own which he does. It seems that this instructor was a bit too sure and a bit too comfortable around firearms. Hell my brother in law just spent last week training acadamy recruits at the Monmouth county range. He said it was an entire week of stress dealing with young people many of which have never handled a firearm and some who have 0 common sense.

The double standard that is in place is ridiculous. I shoot somebody in the head while 'horsing around' after 'playfully' grabbing a gun, I go to jail and face criminal charges. That same standard does not apply to those who protect the states assets.

The reporting seems pretty ridiculous. Well, either that, or what happened was in fact ridiculous.

1. Live ammunition is supposedly prohibited. Strike one.

2. The incident officer was not even participating in the drill. Strike two.

3. He pointed what I can only imagine he thought was not a real firearm at someone, against policy. Strike three.

4. He was "horsing around". Strike four.

I feel for the guy, I really do. But the system is a joke. Violating policy, basic firearm handling and safety, and common sense is more than a mistake.