olderguy

How do we wake up 1,000,000 Gun Owners

OK, so we had maybe a thousand at the first Rally, and maybe 500 at the committee meeting, and much less at the Assembly, Enthusiasm is high HERE but we are all preaching to the choir.

How do we wake up the supposed 1,000,000 gun owners in New Jersey? Billboards?, newspaper ads? Social media? What?

The NJ2AS has good ideas about going to the ranges, but that requires willing volunteers and will not reach the shooter that goes once or twice a year. They have already sent out a call for volunteers that some of you may not have received or paid attention to.........I Know, I get a LOT of email also.

Let's think of some creative ways to reach the sleeping giant.

I got that e-mail as well. I belong to range 14, but don't think they have meetings regularly. I'm going to apply to join CJRPC this week, but I think that there are alot of members here and in NJ2AS that belong there already and it might not be my place as a brand new member to stand up and start preaching lol.

I do talk to people at my job about firearm related issues sometimes, and it seems that once you present the facts in a level headed manner to them they are for the most part agreeable. I think that our biggest problem is that 99% of people in our state don't care about firearms and if a politician tells them they are evil they believe it.

Organization is KEY. Social media (twitter & facebook), news media - commercials? radio?, paper flyers for the central source of information (nj2as?), going to gunsmiths/shops, contacting the nj federation of sportsmen's clubs & clubs/ranges affiliated with it. If everybody is on the same page, and getting the same information from the central source (nj2as?) and the message gets repeated, is the only hope to get those that care on board.

And the NRA doesn't have the cash to find several hundred unemployed assholes to go hold a sign?

I do understand that it would be ideal to have actual gun owners get to these events, but unlike the 'bama people..

All of the gun owners I know have JOBS and can't miss a lot of work, without becoming unemployed

New to the forum but want to be involved as much as I can. I went to the rally in trenton only because of this site. I took a friend that has been involved in hunting and guns his whole life that had no idea it was going on.

I know quite a few people that are gun owners but would not just randomly go on a forum or go to a website to see how they could get involved. With a friend suggesting it to them they might be more likely to check it out.

I have an idea that I think would work with my friend and I wanted to share it on here.

I know that websites and social media can reach a mass audience but I think this topic needs a personal approach as well. First you would need the social media page that has all the info on a rally or event. Second you could have a flyer/pdf that matches what the site says even a copy of the flyer on the site. Third send the flyer (text or email) or hand it to people you know and tell them that you are trying to reach out to as many gun owners in your town/county as you can. If they are interested or not you could ask them to pass it on to others that they know. I think word of mouth is one of the strongest and most effective ways of advertisement.

A lot of people I know do not want to go to a rally by them-self I was thinking if we could organize get togethers by county it would be more personal then just a bunch of people driving to trenton.

For example I live in burlington county and if i told the uninformed people that I know, that I'm part of the organizing team for burlington county they would take it more serious then my asking if they just wanted to go to a rally. Might help get a few people involved that might not of know about the situation completely.

Its a start Just my $.02

AJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

People are lazy. In jersey, they are also afraid to speak up. Gun owners live like, "Hey, can I show you something? Don't tell anybody." Don't ever tell anybody you have a gun. You'll be robbed or fired from your job. You might lose visitation rights with your kids.

All bs. But that's the way a lot of our friends in jersey think. It's not mostly a matter of apathy. We have to lead this horse to water. It won't happen spontaneously, it's not in this horse's nature.

To look at the issue optimistically, there is probably a greater potential to change the dynamic in New Jersey than there is anywhere else. America is operating at 5% all in, 50% somewhat in. Jersey is operating at 0.1% in at all. You can definitely get a much larger response if you reach out to them and give them an easy first step to take. And convince them it is OK and normal and they don't have to fear repercussions for standing up for their rights. It's an honorable act.

Everyone on this forum should make it their personal business to find (ie. root out) at least two dozing firearm owners and wake them up.

Monday I had a chance conversation with a NJ business contact I met last October. I know he owns firearms. So I asked him what he thought of the proposed laws. His reply: 'What laws?'. So I sent him the ANJRPC post-committee analysis document along with a prompt to distribute it to anyone else he knows in NJ that owns firearms, or wants to. This morning his email is pleading with me to provide legislative contact information so he can write and call. He's really upset! And he's passing this on to his son who's applying for a PPP.

The moral: dozing firearm owners are not necessarily uncaring or negligent. This person for instance makes a living by flying around the country, and he's simply so busy living he hasn't noticed what's happening. Of course that's one reason the sponsors of these bills are in such a rush.

If every alert concerned firearms owner does this, the power of 'squares' will do the rest.

Sorry, I don't feel there is any excuse. If you are a responsible firearm owner, you stay abreast of the laws in your state and anywhere you take your guns. In a state like NJ, that's what can keep you out of jail. I'm sure the person you speak of was at least slightly aware of NJ's hostility towards gun owners.

I'm glad you were able to increase his awareness but I wouldn't be making excuses for his lack of awareness.

Pardon me whilst I dismount my self-righteous high horse :)

One thing about this. When you wake somebody up, you need to be able to answer the question "What do I do about it?". So far, besides calling and writing the offices of people who don't give two sh*ts about my beliefs and rights. Next meaningful action I'll be able to take is to go vote on a local level and in mid-terms which I have never done before - that's why all this is partially my fault too.

Sorry, I don't feel there is any excuse. If you are a responsible firearm owner, you stay abreast of the laws in your state and anywhere you take your guns.  In a state like NJ, that's what can keep you out of jail. I'm sure the person you speak of was at least slightly aware of NJ's hostility towards gun owners.

I'm glad you were able to increase his awareness but I wouldn't be making excuses for his lack of awareness.

There is a reason there are leaders. It is because expecting people to spontaneously do what hard and what is right yields marginal results. Blame less and lead more :)

Robot: I tend to agree with you.

However in my experience firearm owners seem to be devided into at least two levels of interest. And I'm not referring to how much they shoot, if ever. I'm referring to how they view the integration of firearms with their life.

If their firearm is something they just 'have', they seem to wind up like my acquaintance; at best inattentive to their environment, and at worst completely out of touch. I have a number of friends like this.

On the other hand, if someone views firearms as indispensible and/or fully integrated into their way of life (eg. for self protection against all enemies foreign and domestic), they seem to deliberately stay current on what's going on, because of the firearms' inherent value to them. That's how I feel. I wouldn't be without firearms anymore than I'd be without a telephone, car or fire extinguisher. I was like that for the 20+ years I never fired a single round. I have more friends like this too.

For this year, I'm suspending my opinions and consequent inclinations, and concentrating on waking up group number 1. We're going to need all hands on deck for this one.

Now, pick the reins back up. We need those on their high horse too.

Sorry, I don't feel there is any excuse. If you are a responsible firearm owner, you stay abreast of the laws in your state and anywhere you take your guns. In a state like NJ, that's what can keep you out of jail. I'm sure the person you speak of was at least slightly aware of NJ's hostility towards gun owners.

This is the stupidest thing I have heard today, and that's after I did my daily scan of the alternet ultra lefty news feed to keep tabs on what the current lefty memes are.

The only way we will succeed is to gather as many of the marginally interested and fence sitters on our side as possible. If we used your logic, you just turn out the light and go home because if you aren't there speaking up at the first moment, you never will.

I've made it to a number of these things. I will not be able to make it to all. If there's someone else who can't take real time off from work, but can swing by a counter protest between job quotes or something that's great and should be encouraged, not ridiculed because the dude found out about the mess we are in a couple weeks late.

I know 2 guys that own pistols for home defense and could give a crap about anything else, and ask why I need an AR. If I have a hard time getting these 2 in line what about everyone else that isnt at last that invested like the Fudds. This is a tough road to haul.

I know 2 guys that own pistols for home defense and could give a crap about anything else, and ask why I need an AR.  If I have a hard time getting these 2 in line what about everyone else that isnt at last that invested like the Fudds.  This is a tough road to haul.

Have you taken them shooting? That usually helps.

You basically have to make it as easy and convenient to them as possible. Unfortunately, you gotta go door to door. You have to first find out who are legal gun owners and I'm not sure if the local PD/NJSP would provide that to you. Then, knock on their door and ask them to sign a letter (drafted, complete with their own address and even postage paid) to be sent to our legislators. To look completely legit, I would photocopy the letter on the spot and hand a copy to them.