Greetings! I'm active duty USAF and will be moving from FL to NJ this summer. I've never lived further north than VA or west of TX as an adult. While I'm looking forward to 4 seasons and a little bit of snow, NJ gun laws confuse the heck out of me. Since I've owned guns I've never lived in a state that has restrictive gun laws. This will be a new experience for me. I've read the sticky in this forum on NJ gun laws, and the NJSP web page. Yup, I still have questions.

1. I own a few AR-15s & handguns, and lots of mags over 15 rounds. I know that CA lets military bring banned guns into the state provided they register them with the state. Is there any similar provision in NJ law, or will I have to leave my ARs out of state? What about magazines?

2. Will I need to get any NJ permits (FID or PP) in order to keep my pistols, or bolt action rifles?

3. Seriously, a permit to purchase pistol ammo? Can you bring pistol ammo into NJ from out of state? I have a lot of ammo and would have to have to leave it out of state.

4. I’ll be stationed at McGuire AFB. Are there any places that have IDPA matches nearby, or will I have to go to PA?

5. If the answers to question #1 are as I fear is there a good second amendment lawyer that any of you would recommend? The thought of going from trusted citizen to untrustworthy subject doesn’t sit well with me. (I bet that it doesn't sit well with ya'll either.)

Thanks!

Mags over 15 round are a no no unless they are pinned to not accept more than 15 rounds. AR cannot have an adjustable stock. If it does it has to be pinned. You cannot have a flash supressor. If you do it has to be swaped out for a pined and welded comp.

FID card needed to buy ammo. Pistols are ok without FID but you have to follow the rules of transport to and from the range. You will need the FID card to purchase long guns or apply for pistol permits for future purchase.

No carry permit accepted or issued.

Evan Nappen is the NJ 2nd ammendment lawyer and he has a guide you can buy for the NJ gun laws.

You can go to Range 14 at Ft. Dix for $4 per hour after joining which is like $35.

Best advice to you: STAY IN FLORIDA OR TRANSFER TO ANOTHER FREE STATE!

A lot of people will chime in... ill answer number one... ur ar must have a pinned stock and a permanent muzzle break (pinned and welded) and your mags must not hold more then 15 rounds.

You can bring your ammo with you just no armor piercing rounds.

Greetings! I'm active duty USAF and will be moving from FL to NJ this summer. I've never lived further north than VA or west of TX as an adult. While I'm looking forward to 4 seasons and a little bit of snow, NJ gun laws confuse the heck out of me. Since I've owned guns I've never lived in a state that has restrictive gun laws. This will be a new experience for me. I've read the sticky in this forum on NJ gun laws, and the NJSP web page. Yup, I still have questions.

1. I own a few AR-15s & handguns, and lots of mags over 15 rounds. I know that CA lets military bring banned guns into the state provided they register them with the state. Is there any similar provision in NJ law, or will I have to leave my ARs out of state? What about magazines?

2. Will I need to get any NJ permits (FID or PP) in order to keep my pistols, or bolt action rifles?

3. Seriously, a permit to purchase pistol ammo? Can you bring pistol ammo into NJ from out of state? I have a lot of ammo and would have to have to leave it out of state.

4. I’ll be stationed at McGuire AFB. Are there any places that have IDPA matches nearby, or will I have to go to PA?

5. If the answers to question #1 are as I fear is there a good second amendment lawyer that any of you would recommend? The thought of going from trusted citizen to untrustworthy subject doesn’t sit well with me. (I bet that it doesn't sit well with ya'll either.)

Thanks!

The only thing I can help you with is the "enjoy 4 seasons and a little snow" part. I can assure you that the enjoyment will be short lived and you will be longing for the warmth of the South after a season or two. :) FLorida is filled with people who do not think four seasons and snow are enjoyable. The gun laws are not enjoyable either.

Are you moving on base? I ran into the same mess when I PCS'd from OK. I had checked a couple of rifles into the armory on McGuire because I was afraid of the what ifs. Once I had moved into base housing I brought them home. . Don't panic. Call base legal.

There is no provision or exemption that I am aware of. Any magazine for a semi-auto that exceeds 15 rounds is illegal. Any AR that does not comply with NJ requirements (the whole no evil feature besides pistol grip usually, thing), is illegal unless modified otherwise.

No. Any firearms legally possessed by you, that are NJ legal, are fine to bring to NJ. Nothing more required.

You can bring pistol ammo in from elsewhere all you want. You can even order it online at many sites and have it shipped to NJ sans a FPID. But yes, you do need a FPID to buy pistol caliber ammo in NJ. Stupid? You bet!

I don't shoot IDPA, but I am certain there are matches in NJ.

Thanks!

Depending on your own circumstances, and how far you are willing to travel to work, and how much your BAH is, I know many people that live in PA (generally the Philly area) and make the 45+ minute commute each day. That may be in option if you wish to keep all your firearms. Good luck.

I have been stuck at McGuire for over 5 years now, with no good way out....

Do not bring magazines over 15 round capacity. The AR's are a little more difficult. If they have 2 "EVIL" (A folding or telescoping stock, A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, A bayonet mount, A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, and

A grenade launcher) if any of your rifles have 2 features they are a no go.

No

Yes. Yes. Bring it, however HPs are treated specially in NJ. Only legal to have at your residence or when going directly to or from range. Or from place of purchase to your residence. If brought directly from out of state to your residence you are ok under FOPA.

Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club is not very far from McQuire

Thanks!

Are you moving on base? I ran into the same mess when I PCS'd from OK. I had checked a couple of rifles into the armory on McGuire because I was afraid of the what ifs. Once I had moved into base housing I brought them home. . Don't panic. Call base legal.

This is the correct answer. Most people are unaware the NJ law doesn't apply on Federal property.

Most of the answers above are correct. Not a bad idea to get an FPID, as you don't have to worry about travel exemptions with long guns - not to mention you may actually find something you want to buy in NJ. And, of course, it allows you to purchase handgun ammo - but as has been pointed out, you can bring it with you, purchase out of state (PA or DE are good) or go Internet (some Internet vendors do require you have an FPID).

As for your AR's, they can be pretty easily made NJ compliant - grind off the bayonet lugs / pin the stock if it's collapsible (doesn't matter in which position you pin it) / and replace the flash hider with a comp that is permanently installed (pinned & welded). Save your money - hiring an attorney will get you nowhere - unless you plan to violate NJ law and are planning ahead, in which case you better be prepared to spend a whole lot more time in NJ than you ever anticipated.

IDPA - believe it or not, there is a very active practical shooting community in NJ - both USPSA and IDPA. Since you ask specifically about the latter - South Jersey Shooting Club and Quinton Sportsman both have IDPA matches down in south Jersey. If you want to venture further afield, you have Somerset, NJ (indoor), Phillipsburg, NJ (combo in & out), Easton, PA (outdoor) and several other clubs. Central Jersey, that was spoken of above has USPSA - no IDPA there. Here's a website with competitions all over the area...

http://www.nepaidpascores.net/

Just poke around a little, there is a wealth of information on that site.

One last caveat, by the time you get here all of the information above, relative to NJ laws, may be moot. There are currently 20+ bills that have already passed the Assembly and roughly 20 more that either haven't yet been assigned to committee or are bottled up in committee, that drastically affect gun owners in the state of NJ. We have a very active grassroots organization (NJ2AS) that is fighting against these tooth & nail, so hopefully the status quo will be maintained.

Could be worse - you could have been stationed in NYS,

Any questions, feel free to either post here or PM me. Welcome to the gulag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Everybody, thanks for the replies!! I had been thinking about living on base. Primarily because I don’t want to buy a house in NJ. I hadn’t considered that NJ laws don’t apply on base. Provided that the housing is good, and the wait isn’t that long, I’ll try to live on base. I also hadn’t considered living in PA. I don’t know if I’m willing to buy a 45 min commute. In 15 years I haven’t had more than a 15 minute commute to work. I’m trying to get assigned to a free state, but I really don’t have any choice in the matter. I’ve already extended my assignment in FL twice. The AF now wants to give someone else a turn at a great assignment in a great location. I’m only going to be in NJ for 3 years. I’m not going to grind/pin/mutilate/permanently alter any of my ARs or mags for just 3 years. I’ll leave them with family or friends out of state. Thanks again everybody!

Everybody, thanks for the replies!! I had been thinking about living on base. Primarily because I don’t want to buy a house in NJ. I hadn’t considered that NJ laws don’t apply on base. Provided that the housing is good, and the wait isn’t that long, I’ll try to live on base. I also hadn’t considered living in PA. I don’t know if I’m willing to buy a 45 min commute. In 15 years I haven’t had more than a 15 minute commute to work. I’m trying to get assigned to a free state, but I really don’t have any choice in the matter. I’ve already extended my assignment in FL twice. The AF now wants to give someone else a turn at a great assignment in a great location. I’m only going to be in NJ for 3 years. I’m not going to grind/pin/mutilate/permanently alter any of my ARs or mags for just 3 years. I’ll leave them with family or friends out of state. Thanks again everybody!

MDL has new housing. Don't mess your shit up for this place. My condolences if you're leaving Tyndall for here. Boy are you fooked. I have 14 years total at KWRI between the -141 and -10 so if you have questions feel free to pm.

That's the best thing you can do, especially if you'll only be here for 3 years.

smoe - thanks for the info. If I have any other questions related to MDL I’ll PM you. I'm going to see what the wait is like for base housing when I get to the office tomorrow. Right now I'm at NAS Pensacola. The area is great: beautiful beaches, nice wx, great flying, wonderful people, and great gun laws. I’ll probably end up back here in the next 15 years. All I have to do is gut it out at McGuire for 3 yrs to get to retirement. I have lots of family & friends a few hours south so I anticipate spending a lot of time out of NJ.

The base housing is privatized and much of it is outside the gate...so I'd imagine that NJ gun laws DO apply there...

The base housing is pretty new, but it is still base housing, and of course comes with all the fun too! Depending on your pay grade, there are better options...

This is truly a very sad commentary on the State of NJ. Here we have a member of our armed forces who is charged with using god knows what type of weapons to protect our country from bad guys all over the world and we restrict his ability to even have a .22 cal pistol that holds 20 rounds. We should be ashamed of the assholes in Trenton!

45 minute commute in NJ is hardly uncommon. Most people drive an average of 30-40 minutes (one way) to work. My commute is 40 minutes each way (but an easy 40 minutes - all highway). For me, its also a good stress reliever from the day to drive and listen to my music on thew way home.. NJ is strange in that there really arent many "cities". NJ is a collection of "towns" (with a couple minor cities thrown in there like Trenton or Newark or AC), so driving a distance to get somewhere is normal..

Reason I mention above is to highlight the fact that living in PA is in fact a better idea if you are within an hour of it.. Sure, gas might be more there, but housing, general taxes and cost of living is a bit lower, and they dont have nearly as restrictive laws for firearms

The base housing is privatized and much of it is outside the gate...so I'd imagine that NJ gun laws DO apply there...

The base housing is pretty new, but it is still base housing, and of course comes with all the fun too! Depending on your pay grade, there are better options...

The physical location of the housing and who manages it is immaterial. Who owns it and if you call the police who comes?

I'd suggest getting your mags pinned if you plan to be here for a while, otherwise leave them with someone you trust.

Oh, and join the NJ Second Amendment Society (www.nj2as.com) we need help trying to fight all this crap. We don't like it anymore than you do.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you're moving here, but I welcome you nonetheless!

MDL has new housing. Don't mess your shit up for this place. My condolences if you're leaving Tyndall for here. Boy are you fooked. I have 14 years total at KWRI between the -141 and -10 so if you have questions feel free to pm.

smoe_picka great signature. Going to bookmark this page.

The physical location of the housing and who manages it is immaterial. Who owns it and if you call the police who comes?

Depends. It is a concurrent jurisdiction between the local township PD and base security forces...