mike.one

Planning a trip to Disneyworld

I'm planning to take my daughter to Disney world this year for her first time and I want it to be memorable for her and somewhat relaxing for me. I haven't been there in about 10 years or so. Anyone have any advice or tips.. I could take to the dance moms but I have selective hearing...

What resort should I stay? , how many days etc etc. thanks all!

I stayed in the Dolphin/Swan resort last time I was there. Free shuttle to take you from park to park. I think you can ride on their ferries to Epcot.

You also get to go early or stay late at a park if you are staying in one of the Disney resorts. Extra perk is that the Dolphin/Swan is part of the Starwood hotel chain so I got to use points.

Unless you plan on going out of the Disney theme parks, you are probably not going to need a car. You have to pay tolls to and from the airport. You have to pay to park it at the theme parks and parking is expensive. You can always catch a cab or buy a shuttle bus ticket to your hotel in advance. One perk of renting a car was that you can go out and explore the different places to eat. We did that and found some really cool places to eat.

Depending on your daughter's age, I would definitely go to Magic Kingdom and Epcot. MGM and Animal Kingdom were alright. Sea World is not on the Disney resorts but we enjoyed it. We did the luau dinner there. The food was mediocre but the most memorable part of it was that I was selected to go on stage and make a fool out of myself. If your daughter is older, I would go check out Universal Studios.

Have fun! I think I may have to take my daughter there again in the not so distant future. She's been there twice already.

Oh, forgot to mention that you should not try to go to a park every day. You'll be really tired.

We actually went to Blizzard Beach for a day in between parks. Entrance to Blizzard Beach is almost as expensive as a theme park but it's pretty relaxing. You can sit on a tube in the lazy river and relax or watch the crazy people go down the giant slide.

Another option is the Disney cruise. We did that also which is kind of fun for the kids. Too bad there was no gambling back then on the smaller cruise ships then.

How old is your daughter? When we did Disney years ago I wore my family out! Not only did we do a park a day, my daughter and I also used the Fast Pass in different parks on the SAME DAY! Get their meal plan, a lot of money but you get to eat a LOT of food! Stay at one of their places and use the buses, you don't even need a car. They get you from the airport, your bags arrive in your room, just kick back and relax, as long as I'm not with you! LOL...... Be prepared for the crying kids that were kept out too long. We would get to the parks at opening time, come back after lunch for a break, then head back out while all the over-tired kids were coming back. It isn't cheap, but do it for a once in a lifetime gig. If your daughter isn't at least 10, think twice, go to Universal and Islands Of Adventure instead, and do Sea World, don't miss the animal show there!

you'll need at least 5 days for the parks. Magic Kingdom will take 2 days (and they just re-built Fantasy Land to all princesses). Epcot has all new Finding Nemo stuff where the Living Seas was. Animal Kingdom is great, but go to the safari in the morning, because the animal are just let out. After that, they start to hide because of the heat or for food. Hollywood Studios has some great shows, there are a few extreme rides meant for slightly older kids, like the Tower of Terror. All the parks have amazing evening shows, but make sure if it's for a parade get a seat an hour early, sadly people will push in front of you when they are late.

There is an option when you buy your park passes, it's called "Hopper", it will let you jump park to park during the day. But if she has never been to Disney, you could probably make a full day of each park.

If you stay in one of the hotels, they have meal plans. They vary but some include Breakfast, Lunch, Snack and Dinner for a price per day. If you plan a special dinner, some need reservations a while in advance. If you want to eat at the top of the castle, it's a bit pricey, but she will get her picture with Cinderella, and the mice and fairy godmother come around all dinner. It's Semi-formal, and you need to call about 4-5 months in advance,

For the younger girls the castle has a bouquet, were she will be dressed like a princess with makeup, hair, and dress (but save your $$, and everything will be covered in glitter)

Hotels it matters you $$ and a theme. A great website for information is allears.net it's filled with information, tips, price ranges and when to go to avoid people.

If you have any questions you can pm me.

We drive down and rent a house. 4/5 bedrooms, pool, hot tub and game room. All for a round $150 a night. Spend day at the house and night at the park when it's empty. The trick is avoiding the hour long waits at ALL cost. 2 hours at night will get you 8 hours of day rides!

I practically grew up in Disney World; my first trip was in 1971 at the age of 2. From 8 to 15 years old I was there roughly three times a year; November for a week with mom and step dad, February for winter break with my real dad and his mother that lived in Tampa then I spent one month of every summer at that grandmother's house, we were always going there. A lot has changed over the years; recently I was there in March of 2009, November of 2010 and just this past November 2012. If you are going to all the parks you need multiple (at least 2) days each to see the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney Studios. One day in the Animal Kingdom is usually enough. We have been staying at the moderate resorts lately, 2009 - Caribbean Beach, 20010 and 2012 at Port Orleans Riverside. I always suggest the moderate hotels, with the park-hopper passes (now called Magic Your Way) and the middle dinning plan. The economy resorts are cramped, loud and packed full of screaming little kids, the moderate hotels tend to be a little more relaxing yet still provide plenty for the kids to do. Nothing beats staying in the park resorts, it may be cheaper to stay outside the park up front but I have never saved money doing it, it just tends to be more of a headache getting around. If you stay in the park resorts you get access to the parks earlier and can use the Disney transportation system to go just about anywhere any time. Be prepared to walk your ass off, bring some comfortable shoes and blister band aids. Arriving Saturday AM and leaving the following Saturday PM is our general plan with 7 day passes and meal plans. We stay away from the Disney water parks as we generally go either early spring or late fall (to avoid the summer craziness and heat), we also live at the shore and have Great Adventure season passes with access to the water park there so that is never a big deal for us.

BTW, average trip for us, family of 4, is usually between $6k-$7k with air fare. Have fun!

We drive down and rent a house. 4/5 bedrooms, pool, hot tub and game room. All for a round $150 a night. Spend day at the house and night at the park when it's empty. The trick is avoiding the hour long waits at ALL cost. 2 hours at night will get you 8 hours of day rides!

This!

Wow, thanks guys. The dance moms have been influencing my wife already, something about staying at the animal kingdom resort where the outside patio looks out to animal kingdom and see the animals? Sounds neat but expensive.

My daughter is 5, I was thinking of doing a 4-5 day at the resort and hang out in the resort on one day since it seems like there's tons to do on the resort. I checked that port Orleans and I kind of like it.

Sounds like offseason is a must.. Either end of march or late sept.

I've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge twice and stayed in Disney Key West. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is very nice. Get a room facing out onto the Savannah. There are rooms that face the pool and some that face the inner part of the Savannah and I would judge them to have an inferior view. There are two good restaurants there, Boma and a fancy one...Both are good but the fancy one is a double meal plan place so we only ate there once. There is also a snack bar around the pool area that has decent quick lunches.

The "Late night" openings at the park I've found to be incredibly crowded. What happens is that people start bailing out of the different parks around 3-4pm go to the pools, eat dinner and then everyone goes back to the single park that's open late. If you can muster the stamina to do the park in the late afternoon to early evening, it's less crowded. Certain attractions are always long lines except first thing in the morning and late in the day. Soarin and Test track at Epcot, The Toy Story thing at MGM(get your fast track first thing as you enter the park) are three biggies.

Plan some down time. Each time I've gone we had someone under 10. Child enthusiasm wains after a few hours.

Wow, thanks guys. The dance moms have been influencing my wife already, something about staying at the animal kingdom resort where the outside patio looks out to animal kingdom and see the animals? Sounds neat but expensive.

My daughter is 5, I was thinking of doing a 4-5 day at the resort and hang out in the resort on one day since it seems like there's tons to do on the resort. I checked that port Orleans and I kind of like it.

Sounds like offseason is a must.. Either end of march or late sept.

If she is five, check out "Chef Mickey's" in the Contemporary. It is a buffet style character meal. The food isn't all that but all of the characters come through and interact with the kids during the meal and put on little shows. It is a great opportunity to get all of the big character photos with the kids and autographs from Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Pluto, Goofy and others. You need to book that as soon as you have a date, seats are limited and hard to get. Also Google the "Bippity Boppity Boutique" in the Magic Kingdom, if she has a favorite princess that she would like to dress-up as for a day, she will absolutely love it!

best advise i can give is wake up early and get to the parks, leave around lunch when it starts getting hot and most crowded, go back to hotel and take a nap or chill at the pool, eat early dinner and go back to parks for the night.

best advise i can give is wake up early and get to the parks, leave around lunch when it starts getting hot and most crowded, go back to hotel and take a nap or chill at the pool, eat early dinner and go back to parks for the night.

If you are going between April and October this is an absolute must or you will hate it! There is nothing worse than the lines and mid-day crowds in 100º+ Florida heat of August/September. This is why I limit our trips to spring and fall.

When last I went to the parks with my mom and little brother we went to a timeshare presentation and got free tickets. No we did not buy a timeshare!

That's one route you can go... but I don't know if they do that still.

Also, the disney parks are gun free zones just in case you were wondering, not even off duty LEO can carry. But if you have a FL CCW you can carry no problem outside of the parks.

We went in March. The crowds were very small. When I went in 1987 as a kid we went in August and it was long lines everywhere.

If you are going between April and October this is an absolute must or you will hate it! There is nothing worse than the lines and mid-day crowds in 100º+ Florida heat of August/September. This is why I limit our trips to spring and fall.

Yea I won't dream if going there during the summer, I went there about 10+ years ago and I got face painting with the little ones and I was sweating so bad.. I looked like a sobbing girl with mascara. Lol.

I'm thinking of going on April OR October, when kids are in school

Sounds like the bippity boppity boo is a must, so is Mickey dinner..

Anyone ever stay at key west resort?

Going to be very limited on the rides she can do at five years old. I am sure the parks have websites you can check on to see what she can/can't do. Magic Kingdom is definitely geared more towards the youngsters. It's going to cost a bundle, be prepared for that! I think we spent $5K six years ago for four, and we stayed at their cheapest resort which I would not recommend doing after having done it.

The best time to go is the last two weeks in August. It is actually considered off-season for Disney, as most southern states are back in school. The high heat and humidity is over, the crowds are gone, the evenings are perfect. I have done this about a dozen times, I have family down there.

The next best time to go is the first two weeks on December. No crowds, temps sometimes can be a bit low at night, but all the parks are decorated for Christmas.

Going to be very limited on the rides she can do at five years old. I am sure the parks have websites you can check on to see what she can/can't do. Magic Kingdom is definitely geared more towards the youngsters. It's going to cost a bundle, be prepared for that! I think we spent $5K six years ago for four, and we stayed at their cheapest resort which I would not recommend doing after having done it.

I agree, they will have more fun at 10 to12 years than at 5.

I've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge twice and stayed in Disney Key West. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is very nice. Get a room facing out onto the Savannah. There are rooms that face the pool and some that face the inner part of the Savannah and I would judge them to have an inferior view. There are two good restaurants there, Boma and a fancy one...Both are good but the fancy one is a double meal plan place so we only ate there once. There is also a snack bar around the pool area that has decent quick lunches.

The "Late night" openings at the park I've found to be incredibly crowded. What happens is that people start bailing out of the different parks around 3-4pm go to the pools, eat dinner and then everyone goes back to the single park that's open late. If you can muster the stamina to do the park in the late afternoon to early evening, it's less crowded. Certain attractions are always long lines except first thing in the morning and late in the day. Soarin and Test track at Epcot, The Toy Story thing at MGM(get your fast track first thing as you enter the park) are three biggies.

Plan some down time. Each time I've gone we had someone under 10. Child enthusiasm wains after a few hours.

I agree, this was the best Disney exp I ever had, this one I took my wife on, girl friend at the time because she had never been.

The hotel is great, the theme the smell of the BBQ cooking all day, the staff, drinking a hot cup of coffee on your balcony wathing

a Giraffe eat it's breakfest 20 feet from you is great. Im not a big Disney fan but it was a great exp. Kids would love it, my 2nd

choice would be the Boardwalk, good resturants and bars, and if you just want to hang out for a day the beech is right there for

the kids.

Have fun

Everyone has given u great advise...and being a dad of 3, all under the age of 9, all I can is be prepared to spend a ton of cash. We were just there in early September and counting airfare our total cost was well over 5k and we didn't pay for hotels (timeshare).

Aside from the cost one thing you need to be aware of is the height and/or weight restrictions for the rides. Having a 5 yr old girl could present an issue with that part. Most rides were 40 or 42 in minimums. My little just barely made it with sneakers on.

As for doing the parks, I say split the days in half. Chill by the pool in the AM and hit the park around dinner time. You should miss most of the crowds and still enjoy the parks. Then switch the next day, park in the am, pool in the night. We found this to be the best blend of downtime and park time.

I stayed at Port Orleans. It is nice without breaking the bank. There's a very nice pool that you can just spend the day there to relax from all the park hopping.

Didnt read all of the replies here but we just went the end of last month for a week. My daughter is 5 as well.

IF you plan on spending most of the time OUTSIDE of the hotel, i would suggest staying JUST outside of Disney property. You will get a much better deal that way.

We went to Magic Kingdom 2 days and Animal Kingdom one day.

Would have cost us $800+ for the 3 days for 3 of us but we say through a 2 hour time share sales pitch and got the package for $560 instead + an extra day. Tho unfortunately we didnt have time to use the extra day..

Any specific questions, PM me :)

Didnt read all of the replies here but we just went the end of last month for a week. My daughter is 5 as well.

IF you plan on spending most of the time OUTSIDE of the hotel, i would suggest staying JUST outside of Disney property. You will get a much better deal that way.

We went to Magic Kingdom 2 days and Animal Kingdom one day.

Would have cost us $800+ for the 3 days for 3 of us but we say through a 2 hour time share sales pitch and got the package for $560 instead + an extra day. Tho unfortunately we didnt have time to use the extra day..

Any specific questions, PM me :)

My wife and I stayed at the Double Tree in Orlando for a week back in 2000 (pre kids) and it was the worst Disney trip of my life. Transportation issues, meal costs and sub par hotel service were enough to make us say never again, nothing beats staying on the property. In the long run any money you might save is only diminishing the experience. If you feel the need to sit through a sales pitch, go to the Disney Vacation Club speil and get a free days park hopper pass.

No doubt you get what you pay for, but you CAN find good deals just outside of the property. We rented a car to be certain that transportation wouldnt be an issue for us. There were shuttles, but we didnt want to have to wait for them or leave anywhere by a certain time. Plus we went gerocery shopping and to dinner a few times so it paid off having the car.

No doubt you get what you pay for, but you CAN find good deals just outside of the property. We rented a car to be certain that transportation wouldnt be an issue for us. There were shuttles, but we didnt want to have to wait for them or leave anywhere by a certain time. Plus we went gerocery shopping and to dinner a few times so it paid off having the car.

Not trying to be an ass but, by the time you paid for the rent a car and the parking what did you really save? Staying on the property you use the Disney Magical Express to and from the airport. It is free and you don't even have to touch your bags, they are delivered to the room and waiting for you when you get there. If you buy a meal plan and plan your meals right, you can eat like a king for what fast food will cost you out of the parks. The only thing I don't like about the meal plan are the breakfasts, I'm a breakfast pig and the meal plan just doesn't cut it for me but I throw a few extra bucks in for what I want and it is still cheaper than off the property.

Not trying to be an ass but, by the time you paid for the rent a car and the parking what did you really save? Staying on the property you use the Disney Magical Express to and from the airport. It is free and you don't even have to touch your bags, they are delivered to the room and waiting for you when you get there. If you buy a meal plan and plan your meals right, you can eat like a king for what fast food will cost you out of the parks. The only thing I don't like about the meal plan are the breakfasts, I'm a breakfast pig and the meal plan just doesn't cut it for me but I throw a few extra bucks in for what I want and it is still cheaper than off the property.

So the rental plus all the parking cost us about $160. We certainly saved much more than $160 by staying off property. Im not saying you CAN NOT find a good deal in the park, just pointing out that if budget is an issue, you may want to consider staying off the property. Our hotel ran a shuttle as well, but like i said, i didnt want the hassle of HAVING to be on the bus at certain times or what not. For example, the 2nd day in Magic Kingdom my daughter hurt herself (got something in her eye) and we ended up heading back a little earlier than expected, had we not had the rental car, we would have been waiting for the next shuttle. Was worth it IMO

We drive down and stay at a fully furnished 5 bedroom house with a pool, hot tub and game room (garage) and the amount we save pays for an extra week! If you fly that changes everything cause the rental starts to impact the savings!

Not only did we do a park a day, my daughter and I also used the Fast Pass in different parks on the SAME DAY!

+1. I haven't been in years but a co-worker goes often and he says you must get the Fast Pass so you don't have to wait in lines. It's $$ but well worth it according to him.

fast pass doesnt cost money unless there is a different one than what we did. All fast pass means is you go up and get a ticket and come back to the ride for the time it says on the ticket. then you get to by-pass the regular line. We did that all day. The only lines we waited in was for disney princess autographs lol