Taipan

Union County New Member

I'm a first time (almost) gun owner. Just picked up my FPID card and two permits today. Took 3 months to the day from application. Part of the delay was because one of my references was lost and had to be resubmitted. I never thought much about gun ownership until all of the current hysteria against it. Now I think it's important to exercise our rights.

I have two purchase questions if anyone would like to help me out....

First, looking at the purchase permits, I see that the 'seller address' section says that it has to be a NJ address. Does this mean that I can only buy in NJ? I'm surprised as I thought I could drive out to Cabela's in Pennsylvania to shop for a handgun.

Second, one gun store that I spoke to told me that once i pick out a gun the paperwork has to be sent off to the NJSP for approval before I can complete the purchase. Is this a new law? I had thought the permit was sufficient to go out and purchase.

Thanks for any replies. I look forward to being an active member of the NJ gun forum.

I'm a first time (almost) gun owner. Just picked up my FPID card and two permits today. Took 3 months to the day from application. Part of the delay was because one of my references was lost and had to be resubmitted. I never thought much about gun ownership until all of the current hysteria against it. Now I think it's important to exercise our rights.

I have two purchase questions if anyone would like to help me out....

First, looking at the purchase permits, I see that the 'seller address' section says that it has to be a NJ address. Does this mean that I can only buy in NJ? I'm surprised as I thought I could drive out to Cabela's in Pennsylvania to shop for a handgun.

Handguns may only be purchased in NJ. Rifles/shotguns may be purchased in PA.

Second, one gun store that I spoke to told me that once i pick out a gun the paperwork has to be sent off to the NJSP for approval before I can complete the purchase. Is this a new law? I had thought the permit was sufficient to go out and purchase.

When you prchase your new gun, you will fill out the permit to purchase and the gun store will call or fax the NJSP to run a NICS chech. That used to take about 10 minutes. Now, it takes 3 - 7 days. It's not a new law, just severe backlog. Or so they claim.

Thanks for any replies. I look forward to being an active member of the NJ gun forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome from another new shooter...

To add to freejerseys's response, you can purchase from out of state/online but it must be transfered to a NJ FFL dealer. I ordered my M&P online and had it shipped to one of the forum vendors. Great experience and supper easy.

Handguns can be purchased in any state but has to be transferred to a NJ FFL. Some Cabelas will not do transfers any more. If the store is out of state the seller may charge a transfer fee and you will be charged a few by your NJ FFL. As stated long arms are fine to purchase out of state except pistol grip shotguns. They have to be bought in your home state as per federal law.

Welcome WestfieldLaw01. Attorney, by chance?

.... As stated long arms are fine to purchase out of state except pistol grip shotguns. They have to be bought in your home state as per federal law.

Uhhh, are you sure about that, or maybe want to clarify that?

I'm not aware of any *Federal* law that prevents a NJ resident from buying a pistol grip shotgun out of state. In fact, I have done exactly that before - bought a pistol grip shotgun from Gander Mountain in New York state.

NJ *state* law doesn't allow the possession of a **semi-auto** pistol grip shotgun. A pump shotgun with a pistol grip is just fine.

Looks like Union County is well represented in the forums. I look forward to getting to know everyone. Meantime, I'd appreciate recommendations on places to shoot handguns and/or shotguns. Thanks.

Looks like Union County is well represented in the forums. I look forward to getting to know everyone. Meantime, I'd appreciate recommendations on places to shoot handguns and/or shotguns. Thanks.

Hi and Welcome,

Read the NJ law stickies about biying firearms.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

About the NICS check its by fax now and that s what the store you went to probably means.........

What do you want to use the guns you plan buying for....defense, competition.....both?

There's not many in union county, join a club, I belong to OBRPC in Oldbridge great place indoor and outdoor facilities, knowledgable people, and they have tons of shooting disciplines , while being new shooter friendly.

If you'd like to go let me know.

Vince

Welcome from Plainfield,

As Night Prowler mentioned about Cabela's. I've purchased 3 pistols over the phone before TSHTF and had them shipped to a FFL here in NJ. They don't charge you the sales tax, it was $25 for the shipping and my FFL charged me $45 for the transfer and NICS check.

Also, it was cheaper then buying the pistols here at a local shop!

I called a couple of months ago, the Firearms Dept. was not taking calls.

Anyone going to the NJ2AS rally on Tuesday evening in Kenilworth?

http://www.nj2as.com/EVENTS?eventId=648237&EventViewMode=EventDetails

There's a thread related to the rally and looks like a few are going, including myself.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51180-nj2as-rally-on-tue-319-in-kenilworth-nj/page__hl__nj2as__fromsearch__1