david8613

certified used luxury car advice?

Since no one has mentioned it- I own a 2012 Hyundai sonata hybrid. Great commuter car. Basic luxury features like dual climate, front and rear heated seats and heated exterior mirrors plus intelligent key. Not the ultimate package either! Only 26k and rides great and getting 35mpg :) happy with my lifetime battery warranty and 10yr/100k mile warranty also :)

Since no one has mentioned it- I own a 2012 Hyundai sonata hybrid. Great commuter car. Basic luxury features like dual climate, front and rear heated seats and heated exterior mirrors plus intelligent key. Not the ultimate package either! Only 26k and rides great and getting 35mpg :) happy with my lifetime battery warranty and 10yr/100k mile warranty also :)

OP has a nicer car now, that would be a big step down!

I would not buy a used bmw without warranty, unless you starting month one put away money for stuff.

You can't even turn wrenches yourself, such as oil change, as the ecu has to be reset at the dealer

Ultimate Driving machine? YES, pain in the ass? Sure. Shitty gas mileage? HELL YES!

Speaking from current experience.

You can change the oil yourself, and reset the service minder without visiting the dealer or using the BavTool. It's not in the owner's manual, but you can find the procedure on the BMW boards. (Like everything about the car, it's stupidly complicated, but even I can do it.)

Otherwise, I agree. You can't change electrical components without reprogramming, which requires the car to be hooked up to the Mother Ship. I love the way the car drives, but all this is silly. A Civic Si should be about 90% as much fun to drive at about half the cost and about 10% of the PITA.

A lot of the luxury features are making it into the regular lines.

For example, Toyota has now added VDIM to the Sienna which was previously a Lexus only feature. Also, in Japan and other countries there is only Toyota, not Lexus.

The Euro brands are nice and will delight you if you are a lead foot but they are expensive to maintain.

It also goes without saying that gas mileage in luxury cars is shitty. BMW boasts about high 20s as being economical, lol. Some of the 3 series are in the 30s highway but are those really luxury cars? They are so common. Luxury cars also require premium gas, which costs more.

I agree on the Accord. I have a 2004 which was nice even back then. Fully loaded with the nav and everything. The Acura line is nice too. If I had to buy an Acura sedan it would be the TL.

Otherwise, I agree. You can't change electrical components without reprogramming, which requires the car to be hooked up to the Mother Ship. I love the way the car drives, but all this is silly. A Civic Si should be about 90% as much fun to drive at about half the cost and about 10% of the PITA.

That should be illegal. I can't believe they get away with this. So this means if suddenly the company folded overnight (it happens) and the dealerships go toe up and an electrical component fails you're left with a giant 3000lb paperweight in your driveway.

I work in the parts department at an Audi dealer. I have to agree that they are very nice cars but expensive to repair and maintain. I think this is the case with most European (and to some extent Japanese) luxury cars. Don't take this the wrong way but IMHO, if you don't have enough disposable income to buy one new then you probably will be unhappy with what it cost to keep up. If you (or any other NJGF members) go that route and need Audi parts, accessories or advice, hit me up on here and ill help you out in any way I can.

I'm still driving around in my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. I do love my hybrids and have no desire to get another car.

I would seriously consider Buick if you are looking to get a luxury car without spending a ton of money.

Buick really seems to have pulled its head out of its a$$ in recent years. You are basically getting a Cadillac without the performance. I just bought a Buck Enclave for my wife and I can hardly believe that it's a Buick. As a bonus, you don't have to put premium gas in it like you would a BMW or an Audi.

​If I absolutely had to get another car, I would seriously consider another Honda Civic Hybrid, but a Buick Verano or Lacross wouldn't be far from my mind.

Hyundai is currently doing an awesome job. I really like what they have done both with styling and engineering on their entire line-up.

To the OP Hyundai makes two luxury cars, the Genesis and the Equus.

If I could make a suggestion and drive the other luxury cars you mentioned first and then test drive these two to see which one out of the bunch you like.

I work in the parts department at an Audi dealer. I have to agree that they are very nice cars but expensive to repair and maintain. I think this is the case with most European (and to some extent Japanese) luxury cars. Don't take this the wrong way but IMHO, if you don't have enough disposable income to buy one new then you probably will be unhappy with what it cost to keep up. If you (or any other NJGF members) go that route and need Audi parts, accessories or advice, hit me up on here and ill help you out in any way I can.

Do you know Rich the PM of Flemington Audi?

Hyundai is currently doing an awesome job. I really like what they have done both with styling and engineering on their entire line-up.

To the OP Hyundai makes two luxury cars, the Genesis and the Equus.

If I could make a suggestion and drive the other luxury cars you mentioned first and then test drive these two to see which one out of the bunch you like.

...and if you're someone who can't stand the looks of the new Hyundai sedans such as myself, Kias are effectively identical cars that just look better IMHO. No luxury models with Kia, but the Optima looks great and is the same thing as the Hyundai Sonata.

I was typing on my phone last night so my response was a little truncated. Take a look at this .pdf document I put together that encompasses the 5yr truc cost to own from Edmunds.com plus the avg approx cost(??) I was able to find that moodel car listed. A few surpises came out at me...

a) The Subaru Legacy loses on 8K in depreciation over 5 yrs!!! BMW 528 almost 25K!

b) The cost to insure a Lexus EX350 is almost double other cars on the list. It is very common auto theft target.

c) Repair costs on the A4 were much less then expected, true for the Volvo also. But after 5 yrs those costs skyrocket.

Take a look and see for yourself. Then drive and chose then one you like the most. My wife did not like the Genesis, no did I, until she drove the 4.6liter v8. Power corrupts!

cars_v1.pdf

...and if you're someone who can't stand the looks of the new Hyundai sedans such as myself, Kias are effectively identical cars that just look better IMHO. No luxury models with Kia, but the Optima looks great and is the same thing as the Hyundai Sonata.

I put KIA second only to Hyundai due to some parts avalibility but they are coming on strong as well.

I put KIA second only to Hyundai due to some parts avalibility but they are coming on strong as well.

I'm not very familiar with the parts situation, but as far as I'm aware, Kia is a sister company to Hyundai and as a result, both the Optima and the Sonata use identical parts. If you look at the trim levels and engine specs, you'll see they largely mirror each other) (you'll also never see them ever compare against each other in commercials).

I'm still driving around in my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. I do love my hybrids and have no desire to get another car.

I would seriously consider Buick if you are looking to get a luxury car without spending a ton of money.

Buick really seems to have pulled its head out of its a$$ in recent years. You are basically getting a Cadillac without the performance. I just bought a Buck Enclave for my wife and I can hardly believe that it's a Buick. As a bonus, you don't have to put premium gas in it like you would a BMW or an Audi.

​If I absolutely had to get another car, I would seriously consider another Honda Civic Hybrid, but a Buick Verano or Lacross wouldn't be far from my mind.

Honda made an Accord Hybrid at one time but discontinued it. I would have loved to own one.

The escalade hybrid like what Hannity has would be nice, if I could afford one. But I think I'd just get a diesel instead.

I'm not very familiar with the parts situation, but as far as I'm aware, Kia is a sister company to Hyundai and as a result, both the Optima and the Sonata use identical parts. If you look at the trim levels and engine specs, you'll see they largely mirror each other) (you'll also never see them ever compare against each other in commercials).

I fixed a 2012 Optima EX last Sept. and had to wait to get a few of the exterior front trim pieces which are different then the Sonata but yes they are sister companies and share a lot of the same parts.

I fixed a 2012 Optima EX last Sept. and had to wait to get a few of the exterior front trim pieces which are different then the Sonata but yes they are sister companies and share a lot of the same parts.

How long was the wait? Was it unusually long for a car of that age?

I can't recall the exact amount of days just remember waiting on a couple of items longer then I should have.

2-3 days is acceptible, 5-7 is not. I fixed an older Sedona in December and had no issues.

I honestly don't see a lot of KIA's in the shop but I am sure as time goes on that will change.

Honda made an Accord Hybrid at one time but discontinued it. I would have loved to own one.

The escalade hybrid like what Hannity has would be nice, if I could afford one. But I think I'd just get a diesel instead.

Honda just started making an Accord Hybrid again, but I don't need all of that room. If I needed a new car tomorrow, I would probably go with a new Honda Civic or a Buick Verano or Encore.

Honda just started making an Accord Hybrid again, but I don't need all of that room. If I needed a new car tomorrow, I would probably go with a new Honda Civic or a Buick Verano or Encore.

I have 3 kids, so I need the room. Can't fit 3 kids in a civic. They barely fit in the Accord.

The extra price for hybrids is usually a waste of money...... If you actually break it down.... And far crappier drive.... And the fact that it is usually even worse for environment as parts sourced world wide.

The new BMW turbo 4 are nice...... But felt like driving a ford focus. The new 5 series are amazing. But well.... A BMW.

Right now sticking with what I have cause tough to find a great deal on a like new luxury car.... But.... Considered..

Vw passat diesel

Vw Tuareg diesel

Used a6

A4.... Troy won't let me.

New accords... Nice cars but boring.

New ford fusion... Nice but boring.

C350 coupe.... I refuse to take a huge depreciation hit.

E550 coupe.... Used tough to find....

Volvo s60.... Refuse to take huge depreciation hit... And new ones shoddy quality.

Ron.... I have broke people who have new merc s600 payments tooo.... But.... The vast majority of clients and folks I know between 2 and 20 mil are quite frugal. Above that... Yes a lot of poser look at me. However on the whole.... Subaru owners have he highest average income.... Was a fascinating report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ok.....as much as i try and stay away from these conversations now...... mostly because people will still do what they want....

Euro Cars..... German, swedish, Italian..... good cars, nice style..... but dont kid yourselves..... expensive to own and operate....

Hybrids...... marketing , no help for enviroment in the end.

Want a nice luxury car with acceptable cost of ownership.... Japanese.... I prefer Acura. But Lexus and Infiniti are fine cars....

Me,,. I prefer American cars.....

There are no BAD choices out there anymore.....

Go take a look at a 2-3 yr old Certified Acura RL or TL

26yrs in the auto industry..... take my advice for what its worth...... Welcome to PM me for any advice..... seriously

The extra price for hybrids is usually a waste of money...... If you actually break it down.... And far crappier drive.... And the fact that it is usually even worse for environment as parts sourced world wide.

I don't care about the greenie stuff. I care about using HOV lanes solo and getting toll discounts.

Don't know about crappier ride, the civic and accord seems to ride just fine. In fact the Accord hybrid tends to have more power from a dead stop because of the electric motor assist.

And I suppose you have another place I can put my Obama 08' magnet... wait. I know exactly where you are going to tell me to put it.

[/size]

And I suppose you have another place I can put my Obama 08' magnet... wait. I know exactly where you are going to tell me to put it.

Yea... time to take that sucker off. =) A little too old for that.... But maybe next to wifey's Jews for McCain one.

Regular Civic was good enough... 36 mpg on highway... although, rented a C6 vette.... yum yum... 30 mpg doing a few miles over speed limit on i95 in florida... by a few I mean 30. it was night time, roads were clear. =P And speed limit there was 70.