thug the bunny

money order to purchase?

Hi, newb here, so not sure this is the right section of the boards, but -

I saw a firearm for sale on line from a private seller and contacted him and he said he will only accept a money order, and gave me his name, address, and ph#. Am I crazy for even considering going through with this? Is there any way at all to protect myself or increase the chances that I will actually receive what he posted, or is this just giving my money away?

Thanks!

Check the seller's feedback on that sight. Use a USPS money order. Worst case you could file mail frauds charges. I have sent many money orders without any issues but you never know. Most private sellers do not accept credit cards and many avoid paypal due to their anti gun policies.

Google his name and his address to cross reference. That will help give you the warm fuzzy.

The minute you mail any payment, if he screws you, it becomes mail fraud. The point being you "mailed payment". The USPS MO helps track where it was cashed etc....Also, send it certified mail. This way somebody signs for it.

I have done it many times and have used common sense when dealing with people. I have never been screwed. I did have a MO go missing though.

I have bought many guns and related items from people on GB and other national forums using MO's. If it's an auction site, check their feedback. If it's a forum, they usually have a positive and negative feedback section, check there to see what's been posted about them and what other deals they have done. I would be leery of anyone with a low post count or that's rather new, most scoundrels get booted off forums once they screw someone over, so long time high post members are more likely reputable.

And as other have said, always use a USPS MO.

Cool. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I like the idea of sending the MO by certified mail. The website is one called 'Armslist' - it's not a forum or auction site, more like a Craigslist for firearms, so there's no ratings or post counts. I did get and Google his address, and it does exist (it's kind of wierd looking down on his house).

I was just going to get the MO from my bank instead of USPS to avoid fees. Won't it still be trackable, and still be fraud in case of non-delivery?

And, NJGF rocks!

I have gone that route through my bank often.

Ask the seller if he posts on any forums (High Road, Glock Talk, Firing Line etc etc) and under what name. Be up fraont and tell him you would like to look up references. If he balks, walk away... very simple.

Unless it is something rare that you just have to have right now, I would suggest waiting for one to surface locally. Often times what looks like a great deal is not when you factor in shipping and NICS/transfer fees. I would rather spend and extra $50 to deal with someone local, although just about every face-to-face purchase I have made so far was a bargain. Patience pays off.

Hi, newb here, so not sure this is the right section of the boards, but -

I saw a firearm for sale on line from a private seller and contacted him and he said he will only accept a money order, and gave me his name, address, and ph#. Am I crazy for even considering going through with this? Is there any way at all to protect myself or increase the chances that I will actually receive what he posted, or is this just giving my money away?

Thanks!

You are proteceted if you use a usps money order.

Have done trades on other sites (and once on here) with a USPS MO, no problems. Just follow the general trading common sense rules.

1) If it looks to good to be true, it is

2) Check Feedback

3) Make sure the seller even has the item

etc etc etc

I was just going to get the MO from my bank instead of USPS to avoid fees. Won't it still be trackable, and still be fraud in case of non-delivery?

And, NJGF rocks!

Does your bank give you MO's for free? Every bank I've ever seen charges a lot more than the USPS for MO's.

Also, check with the buyer if he'll take a MO that's not from the USPS, a lot of sellers won't.

Does your bank give you MO's for free? Every bank I've ever seen charges a lot more than the USPS for MO's.

Also, check with the buyer if he'll take a MO that's not from the USPS, a lot of sellers won't.

i was thinking the same thing. i know my bank wanted like $20 extra for a MO when i wanted one a long time ago..

https://www.usps.com...oney-orders.htm

What do money orders cost?

$0.01 to $500.00 .......................$1.20

$500.01 to $1,000.00 ................$1.60

Postal Military Money Orders…..$0.35 (issued by military facilities)

International Money Orders…… $4.50

Add to that list Western Union MOs which I believe are .99

Not sure what security they offer though. I have always gone with USPS

I have nothing more to add about trying to cover your bases, but a comment about non-USPS money orders.

Some folks will not take non post office money orders because of the potential for fraud. For example,(as a seller) you accept a Western Union or bank MO and deposit it into your bank account. It clears. You ship. A month or more later you get a visit to your door by the Po-po and the "cleared" funds are clawed back. You were just the victim of a fake money order. It happened to my best friend that sold a high end watch for $1400 on craigslist. Since this has happened, I've seen an increase in sellers only taking online payment or specifically a postal money order.

Just food for thought to help understand why some sellers might seem "odd" or prickish about accepted payment methods.

Hope this helps,

Wally

Everyone says a USPS MO gives you protection because if he doesn't ship it's fraud. Great theory but it is far from true. In fact, it will never happen. Last year ZERO were prosecuted on a single sale that went south.

Mail fraud is a federal charge.....and can only be charged in federal court. That means you need a federal law enforcement agency with the authority to charge such. Then the charge has to be filed in the jurisdiction where the fraud was.....which is where the seller is located. That means a trip by you to the local office. Then they have to present to the case to a United States Attorney for prosecution.....get an arrest warrant or grand jury indictment.....arraign them......sentencing........and prison/probation.

You also have to prove intent....meaning the seller intended to rip you off. I won' touch that as its another can of worms that gets complicated.

So lets break this down.....

1). Federal agency: That leaves you open to three choices in this case: ATF, FBI and USPI. For those not in the know, the ATF won't take it since there is no violation of any gun laws...it's a general fraud. The FBI won't touch it since its a single victim with low dollar loss and no public appeal. Finally, the USPIS will not take it either unless the MO was altered or is a counterfeit. The USPIS is not a local agency that handles what is considered minor losses. The duties focus on drugs, illegal currency, shipping illegal items, and theft of items sent. Ceratin cases don't get worked due to minimal dollar value and that ranges by jurisdiction but typically its at least $10k. Calls are made every day claiming mail fraud.......and those folks are referred to your local civil court. So your case is dead here...but for fun....lets move along.

2) Jurisdiction: The "crime" is where the seller gets paid and doesn't send the item. Not sure how much your deal is....but does it cost less than travel and hotel for you AND you FFL to make a trip? Since both are required for an affidavit since you can't say you didn't actually get unless you FFL says the same, both have to be there. Likely the cost of travel, food, hotel and paying your FFL for their time away will exceed the cost of the transaction. So your case is dead here......but for fun.....lets move along.

3) Court: All federal cases are presented and screened by the US Attorney. Every USAO reviews the case for merit, number of victims, loss to the government, loss to the victim, impact on society as a whole, time, cost their office needs to put into it to resolve, court costs, likely outcome, other reemedies available and deterrent value. Here we have one victim......no loss to the government.......minimal financial loss to one person......no impact on society as a whole......ten hours of a USAO's/supervisors time.........two hours of a judge/clerk/reporter/marshal time.......no prison time for a first offense but a fine of a few hundred to thousand dollars.......cost or probation officer and supervision for sentence.........and the whole thing could be resolved in state small claims making everyone whole at no cost to the US Government. For those who haven't presented a case for prosecution......this is a DECLINATION. Some venues have a threshold you must pass. Some jurisdictions have six figure minimums. If you think any jurisdiction is taking a $1k case where the government has zero loss and state small claims is an available remedy you have no idea how the system works. Again you case is dead here.

It doesn't mater if you pay with a corner store, WU or USPS money order. Just get something you can get proof was cashed for small claims court.

WOW. Good info ^. I did get a sour taste using USPS MO once. I mailed off a money order for a Ham Radio and the day after I sent the MO the seller called to say his antenna was hit by lightning and the rigs were fried. He promised to return my MO once received. I tried to pay for a stop payment just in case he wasn't honest, and the Post Office said they had no way to do that. Yipes!

Cool. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I like the idea of sending the MO by certified mail. The website is one called 'Armslist' - it's not a forum or auction site, more like a Craigslist for firearms, so there's no ratings or post counts. I did get and Google his address, and it does exist (it's kind of wierd looking down on his house).

And, NJGF rocks!

I was scammed on armslist, so be careful. I used a USPS money order. Been awhile and still havent gotten my money back.

Plus, I have never had any luck on armslist, always setting me up for a scam.

Now i only search NJ in the armslist section so I can do FTF.

Sucks getting scammed, rich or not.

I was scammed on armslist, so be careful. I used a USPS money order. Been awhile and still havent gotten my money back.

Plus, I have never had any luck on armslist, always setting me up for a scam.

Now i only search NJ in the armslist section so I can do FTF.

Sucks getting scammed, rich or not.

Wanted to follow up and give folks a heads up...I got scammed. If I do use Armslist again, which is not very likely, I will do as you suggested mag1 and have them ship to my ffl before payment, or do local NJ FTF purchase.

Wanted to follow up and give folks a heads up...I got scammed. If I do use Armslist again, which is not very likely, I will do as you suggested mag1 and have them ship to my ffl before payment, or do local NJ FTF purchase.

Sucks, sorry to hear