RecessedFilter

Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays feeler - April dates

Well in talking to everyone that attends my monthly shotgun shootouts, it seems like we (especially me as I won't stfu about it) are all getting very antsy for a LVSC shoot. This thread will be for trying to figure out what date works best for everyone so I can progress into a final LVSC meet up thread.

Now I know Tbill mentioned that we will probably have to make reservations since they have a lot of events going on as well as starting to get busy (especially weekends) since April will bring a little bit better weather. The good thing we have on our side that even in April it will still be a bit chilly (50s?) so I'm sure the hardcore shotgunners will still be out but it shouldn't be as crowded as it is in say June when it's nice and warm out.

****If you only read one thing out of the book I wrote here, please read this below*****

So let's see what we can work out. I would like to have a final date set for this by next sunday (march 25th) so I can call LV and start making reservations and such.

Please post whether you will be attending, how many people you plan to attend with, and what date(s) work for you.

Possible dates:

(2nd weekend in April) Saturday April 13th, Sunday April 14th

(3rd) Saturday April 20th

(4th) Saturday April 27th, Sunday April 28th

So far, saturday April 13th is what we are looking at....

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A few things to remember:

- One full round of 100 is $38 which covers you for the first round. The second round I believe goes down to $32.

- LV rents shotguns, so if you do not have a shotgun or would prefer to rent a nice o/u, that option is available. The nice thing is rentals are $10 per round and they set you up with either a Beretta or something in the $1k-2k price range. Also, if you rent one of their shotguns, you must use their shells and their shell prices weren't bad (about $6-7 a box 8 months ago).

- Golf cart rentals are available and they are $18 per round. A lot of people skip these to cut costs but in all honesty, you split it between 4 people and you end up paying a measly $5 to zip around in a golf cart. It's worth it in my opinion.

- Push carts are available for rental as well. These are $7.50 per round and are basically a baby stroller modified to a shooter - room for ammo, shooting supplies, etc, as well as two gun racks to hold one shotgun each (2 total).

- ***They have changed the course a little bit so please read this carefully.*** There is now the option to choose the beginner, intermediate, and expert course. Please take this into account, especially if your group has varying skill levels. Now the intermediate/expert course can be played together (shooting from the same station) but the beginner course has different stations dedicated to that skill level. So that means if 3 people are shooting beginner and the 4th person in the group wants to shoot intermediate/expert, he will need to use a separate controller and have to shoot from different stations than the other 3 people....which can be a pain in the butt for a 'group experience', so please take this into account. In opinion, either everyone in the group shoots beginner or everyone shoots intermediate/expert but you can do whatever you want! ***please refer to the picture at the bottom of this post to explain the course better***

- Please make sure you clean your gun and bring everything you need for this day. We have seen some recent jams and failures at the shootouts lately due to usually not cleaning your gun in a while, so have it cleaned and oiled so you don't have to worry about anything. And make sure you use ammo that you have used before (another recent shootout issue, Herter's shotgun ammo was NOT feeding well in numerous shotguns and I would suggest to stay away from that brand). With the amount of people coming to this (I'm guessing between 15-20, maybe more?), I'm sure we will have things like earplugs and necessities, but if you have some special choke or something that you forget to bring with you, odds are no one will have it so please pack accordingly.

- In case anyone lives a nice life of luxury, there is a helicopter pad available to land on and they will pick you up in a golf cart. If you will be taking advantage of this, I highly suggest including me in your group of passengers...I will bring some Cubans to share! :p

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Any other questions should be able to be answered on LVSC's website linked here:

http://www.lvsclays....t.aspx?pageid=5

If you can't find any info or answers on the website, please feel free to post on this thread and we will work on answering them.

***LVSC course:

lvcourse_zps87460553.jpg

Edited by RecessedFilter

Me and the girlfriend are going to see if we can make this event depending on when you plan it for. but if not it looks really cool anyway. if i got a few people to go can 4 people just show up there pay and shoot? no appointment or call in advance? also do they care if you share a shotgun?

To do this on a weekend means you'll all be fighting the crowd, so I'd suggest calling in advance to reserve any rented items (guns, carts, hand carts), and give them the approx. size of the Party. Get there before it opens so you get on the course first, and depending upon how many Shooters, you may want to do a "Shotgun Start" like in Golf: A foursome or more each at a different Station to keep things runnin' smooth! Otherwise, the poor bastards that start last at the first Station will be finishing long after when the first guys to finish shooting will be lookin' to go somewhere to eat...

One thing is for sure: This place is NOT Clinton: (2) shells in a gun, only the shooter in the cage has a loaded gun, NO loading behind the firing cages! And you will have to wait for other paid customers to finish shooting on some Stations, especially those with stairs. Pack a snack along with a drink to avoid drying out. Also a good idea to bring-along some paper towels and some lube to keep things working so you don't have to stop and run to your vehicle.

Have fun and be safe!

I've been there dozens of times over the years, and was a member until last year's bad economy hit my wallet.

Dave

To do this on a weekend means you'll all be fighting the crowd, so I'd suggest calling in advance to reserve any rented items (guns, carts, hand carts), and give them the approx. size of the Party. Get there before it opens so you get on the course first, and depending upon how many Shooters, you may want to do a "Shotgun Start" like in Golf: A foursome or more each at a different Station to keep things runnin' smooth! Otherwise, the poor bastards that start last at the first Station will be finishing long after when the first guys to finish shooting will be lookin' to go somewhere to eat...

One thing is for sure: This place is NOT Clinton: (2) shells in a gun, only the shooter in the cage has a loaded gun, NO loading behind the firing cages! And you will have to wait for other paid customers to finish shooting on some Stations, especially those with stairs. Pack a snack along with a drink to avoid drying out. Also a good idea to bring-along some paper towels and some lube to keep things working so you don't have to stop and run to your vehicle.

Have fun and be safe!

I've been there dozens of times over the years, and was a member until last year's bad economy hit my wallet.

Dave

Very true, great advice!

and there is only one place to eat after shooting clays at LVSC! ;)