Vicious

Garand Info (CMP)

I would like to buy a SA M1 Garand, preferably WWII era. Problem is, I would like it to be "original" (old stock, possibly barrel, etc...). My question is, I don't meet the requirements to order from the CMP, so can I just drive there and buy one, or do I still need to meet the requirements?

requirements arent that hard to meet. 1. garand collectors association is $25 and they sent me an interesting dvd about the garand. 2. marksmanship isnt quite as easy if you dont do any competitions but i just had a cop friend sign that sheet (the bottom bullet under the marksmanship section) and considered it done. and finally 3. bending over and taking the rape of having to pay for an FFL (~$50) despite all the hoops to jump through to order from CMP despite that they run their own background check, NJ is just that prejudice against pro2a people. still $75 in total to order a garand for 625 where as they seem to sell for $1k+ elsewhere. worth it imo. though they told me they got my order but im still waiting for them to process it and tell me if im good to go so i could be giving bad advice idk yet. all while praying the garand i wrote down doesnt sell out by the time they get to my order. yesterday marked officially 1 month since they got my order. tho i think some people here have been past 2 months already with no word.

all that in mind tho there arent many springfield ones left. http://thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

had my eye on the service grade springfield and it sold out while i was still getting all my pre-reqs together. glad it sold out before i sent my order in and not after so i had time to settle for the HRA instead. better than waiting 2+ months just for them to tell me its sold out.

Central Jersey is having an M1 match this weekend that would quailify you. you would also be able to get a lot of info from some serious Garand guys.

I would love to go to a match, but I have to go to an event for my girlfriend's brother in law. I'd much rather watch the event...

Why watch when you can participate? BTW, it's the 21st of April, not this weekend---

http://centraljerseyhighpower.com/hp_events/hp_m1_garand.cfm

I would love to go to a match, but I have to go to an event for my girlfriend's brother in law. I'd much rather watch the event...

requirements arent that hard to meet. 1. garand collectors association is $25 and they sent me an interesting dvd about the garand. 2. marksmanship isnt quite as easy if you dont do any competitions but i just had a cop friend sign that sheet (the bottom bullet under the marksmanship section) and considered it done. and finally 3. bending over and taking the rape of having to pay for an FFL (~$50) despite all the hoops to jump through to order from CMP despite that they run their own background check, NJ is just that prejudice against pro2a people. still $75 in total to order a garand for 625 where as they seem to sell for $1k+ elsewhere. worth it imo. though they told me they got my order but im still waiting for them to process it and tell me if im good to go so i could be giving bad advice idk yet. all while praying the garand i wrote down doesnt sell out by the time they get to my order. yesterday marked officially 1 month since they got my order. tho i think some people here have been past 2 months already with no word.

all that in mind tho there arent many springfield ones left. http://thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

had my eye on the service grade springfield and it sold out while i was still getting all my pre-reqs together. glad it sold out before i sent my order in and not after so i had time to settle for the HRA instead. better than waiting 2+ months just for them to tell me its sold out.

CMP would have honored your order if you had ordered before they sold out. They list rifles as sold out when they think they have enough orders to sell out of them when the orders are fulfilled, not after they are sold out.

CMP is majorly backlogged right now with an unprecedented amount of orders. In the best of times 60 days was normal turnaround for an order, now it's going to be longer.

The stores are largely picked clean right now, only some specials are left on the racks from what I hear, not really worth the trip to pick out one of those, just mail order it if you want one.

No, am already committed Sundays till mid June, then that one is Father's day usually, so it will probably be the August & October ones for me again. Mayyybeeee an NRA Hp on a Sunday. I didn't make it out there much this winter at all, am gonna hit the pits this week, then probably HP/GP in another two weeks or so during the week, for an hour or two. Will see ya out there sometime!

What Matty said, go to the CJRP match on the 21st, it's a fun match, you'll get a certificate in the mail that will fulfill your marksmanship requirements....

Matty, you going to the match?

What Matty said, go to the CJRP match on the 21st, it's a fun match, you'll get a certificate in the mail that will fulfill your marksmanship requirements....

Matty, you going to the match?

I don't have to compete, do I?

Why wouldn't you? To get the certificate you do. You gonna go all the way there and not bother to shoot, even though you can use loaner M1s and buy the ammo there? You really don't have to bring anything, except eye and ear protection. There's loaner everything. There will probably be a few people who have never shot an M1 before at the match. Plus the collected wisdom of the people running the thing.

Why wouldn't you? To get the certificate you do. You gonna go all the way there and not bother to shoot, even though you can use loaner M1s and buy the ammo there? You really don't have to bring anything, except eye and ear protection. There's loaner everything. There will probably be a few people who have never shot an M1 before at the match. Plus the collected wisdom of the people running the thing.

I was not aware that I could. That makes it a bit more tempting. I'll see if I can get a friend to tag along.

Again, what Matty said! John Donald and Dave Williams run the match, they're good guys and good shooters. Loaners are GOOD rifles that are gone over by John, you will be shooting a nice M1. I attended a Garand match a few years ago, that's how I got hooked on Highpower. Look me up if you go, I'll help with whatever I can.

PS: the club also has shooting mats, spotting scopes and shooting coats, so Mattys right on the money, all you need is eye and ear protection....

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but all I need to do to order a Garand from CMP is join the collector's club for $25, participate in a high power rifle shoot, and order my garand shipped to an FFL?

I thought I needed to be an NRA member and a member of a rifle club?

Also, is the M1 shoot on the 21st @ CJR&P open to the public (if so, do they give the certificates out to the public)? I have a friend who has a sweet M1, maybe I can convince him to come and qualify as well and I'll use his.

Anyone know if I can get a certificate from Monmouth County RP club if I tag along with a friend who is a member at one of their high power shoots? I'd like to use my 8mm Mauser or Mosin Nagant 91/30.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but all I need to do to order a Garand from CMP is join the collector's club for $25, participate in a high power rifle shoot, and order my garand shipped to an FFL?

CMP's eligibility requirements; http://www.odcmp.com...eligibility.htm

Joining the Garand Collector's Association satisfies the club membership.

On marksmanship related activity::

"Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training."

or

"Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site"

It appears that a hunter's ed class would work, or you can print out the form and ask a R.O. (on a slow day) to check the boxes and sign it for you.

If you're at all interested in getting an M1, don't drag your feet. These will be known as the "good old days" when you could mail-order M1's from a great company for a great price. I'm not looking forward to what the Garand market will look like after the CMP is sold out...

Also, is the M1 shoot on the 21st @ CJR&P open to the public (if so, do they give the certificates out to the public)? I have a friend who has a sweet M1, maybe I can convince him to come and qualify as well and I'll use his.

Anyone know if I can get a certificate from Monmouth County RP club if I tag along with a friend who is a member at one of their high power shoots? I'd like to use my 8mm Mauser or Mosin Nagant 91/30.

CJRP shoot is open to the public, if you come and compete, you will be sent a certificate along with results of the match which makes you eligible to purchase from CMP. Join GCA or another affiliated club, CJRP being one, and you're good to order.

Prior to the match Dave Williams will instruct all new comers in proper loading and use of the rifle. Don't want to see any Garand thumbs ya know. You'll also be instructed on commands given on the firing line. The course of fire is.....

5 sighters from prone....any trouble getting on paper someone will get you on.

20 shots slow fire prone in 20 min

10 shots rapid fire prone 70 seconds

10 shots rapid fire sitting 60 seconds

10 shots standing offhand 10 minutes

http://www.centraljerseyhighpower.com/hp_events/hp_m1_garand.cfm

The match is sanctioned by the CMP.

CJRP shoot is open to the public, if you come and compete, you will be sent a certificate along with results of the match which makes you eligible to purchase from CMP. Join GCA or another affiliated club, CJRP being one, and you're good to order.

Prior to the match Dave Williams will instruct all new comers in proper loading and use of the rifle. Don't want to see any Garand thumbs ya know. You'll also be instructed on commands given on the firing line. The course of fire is.....

5 sighters from prone....any trouble getting on paper someone will get you on.

20 shots slow fire prone in 20 min

10 shots rapid fire prone 70 seconds

10 shots rapid fire sitting 60 seconds

10 shots standing offhand 10 minutes

http://www.centralje...p_m1_garand.cfm

The match is sanctioned by the CMP.

With the instruction for newcomers, would you recommend this competition for someone with minimal firearms experience, especially with the M1 Garand?

if you have a NJ hunting liscense, it qualifies for the shooting portion...

so

us citizen

garand club

hunting liscense

added up and you are good to go for CMP

With the instruction for newcomers, would you recommend this competition for someone with minimal firearms experience, especially with the M1 Garand?

You don't need any experience with the Garand to come to this match. You'll get instructions on the rifle, how to single, load 2 and load an enbloc into the rifle. Your going to be instructed on the commands given during the match and the safety procedures that need to be followed. John and Dave are very strict when it comes to firearm safety, rightly so.

Some of the commands you'll hear go like this for slow fire,

With safety's on, with one round, load

Is the line ready?

The line is ready, ready one the right,

Ready on the left, all ready on the firing line,

Commence fire!

If you think you can follow commands of that nature, by all means come to the match. There are always more experienced shooters there who are willing to lend a hand with any issues that a newbie has. You'll be shooting from positions you likely haven't shot from like sitting, someone will help get you into position if you have a problem. By all means come to the match!

My friend can't go this weekend, due to some reserve related thing. What is the clinic on May 19? We can make it for the June event though.

The clinic is an introduction into NRA Highpower rifle. You will learn the 4 positions and shoot from each position. You'll learn how to use a sling for prone and sitting position. The clinic is very good if you're interested in Highpower rifle. Again, all you need is eye and ear protection, you can borrow one of the clubs ARs or Garands. If you borrow a rifle from the club, you will need to buy the ammo from John. Mats, coats and spotting scopes are all available to use.....

The clinic is an introduction into NRA Highpower rifle. You will learn the 4 positions and shoot from each position. You'll learn how to use a sling for prone and sitting position. The clinic is very good if you're interested in Highpower rifle. Again, all you need is eye and ear protection, you can borrow one of the clubs ARs or Garands. If you borrow a rifle from the club, you will need to buy the ammo from John. Mats, coats and spotting scopes are all available to use.....

This sounds like a better way to start. I like to take things slow. lol