TheLugNutZ

Camden County PD (Looking at getting into LE)

Anyone look into this yet? Seems like they are pushing to hire a lot of people, tho i may be jumping on the band wagon a little late on this...

Seems like the pay is decent, thats always been a deterrent for me getting into LE, taking a pay cut, but starting at around 50k isnt bad. While its still a pay cut, i think i would be able to handle it and hopefully some can be made up in overtime.

Knowing how horrible camden is now (currently ranked the #1 most dangerous city in the US) am i crazy for thinking about this? Is the danger really worth it? I assume once i get in i could always stick it out a few years and apply for other departments (assuming you have a better chance to get hired somewhere else as a current officer)... I have always had a passion for law enforcement and would LOVE to get out of the office. Maybe this is my opportunity.

I always wanted to get into law enforcement as well but would not be able to handle the pay cut. Just curious though, what process would you follow to get in? Police academy? Relative in high position?

^THIS!

And while the money versus personal safety argument must be had, that is a selfish view, of course. How about job satisfaction and making a real difference in your community. How much is that worth? It is a calling and if your in it for $$$ you will be disappointed or corrupted.

Well i can tell you that i think this has been calling me for a while. Last night my wife told me "in the 7 years i have known you there is only one thing you have ever told me you REALLY want to do and thats be a police officer". I started making pretty good money starting college and got into sales and started a family and never looked back. But now i feel like i want to DO something, something good for the community, i want to help people, all the while not being cooped up in an office all day. My daughter tells me the other day the police man is a hero. I would love for her to look at me that way...

IMHO, this is why professions such as soldiering and law enforcement are more like callings than jobs.

Mcbethr Is right, I originally went into criminal justice because I wanted to help others through civil service, the pay and such was a secondary thought. I Believe most guys go into law enforcement with the good intentions and wanting to help others and they get hardened and bitter by the facts of the job and the life style. I mean imagine everytime your just doing your job someone in society is angry with you there is alot more negative out comes then positives in a officers career.

I ended up not getting to go to academy after I finished my criminal justice schooling because my father fell ill and I had to take over my family's business. I still to this day though would gladly volunteer in my free time to do an officers job after given the training required. Sadly due to liability issues and people being so quick to sue and the Unions alot of PD's here do not bring on volunteers in their PD's regardless of their budget issues and being able to benefit from the free labor.

My cousin is a Camden detective who had to go through the hiring process all over again for Camden County. Camden officers have a understandable issue with the new police forces policy in regards to civil lawsuits and complaints brought up against an officer, and a lack of a union, if an officer is sued, it's my understanding they will have to hire their own lawyer in the event of complaints. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I have heard.

I always wanted to get into law enforcement as well but would not be able to handle the pay cut. Just curious though, what process would you follow to get in? Police academy? Relative in high position?

I thought you had to take the civil service exam first then you get accepted into the academy.

Aren't there age limits too?

Anyone look into this yet? Seems like they are pushing to hire a lot of people, tho i may be jumping on the band wagon a little late on this...

Seems like the pay is decent, thats always been a deterrent for me getting into LE, taking a pay cut, but starting at around 50k isnt bad. While its still a pay cut, i think i would be able to handle it and hopefully some can be made up in overtime.

Knowing how horrible camden is now (currently ranked the #1 most dangerous city in the US) am i crazy for thinking about this? Is the danger really worth it? I assume once i get in i could always stick it out a few years and apply for other departments (assuming you have a better chance to get hired somewhere else as a current officer)... I have always had a passion for law enforcement and would LOVE to get out of the office. Maybe this is my opportunity.

they won't be doing just camden, although that's the original reason we were told for this force. i got a letter that we in lindenwold may end up using them too. talking to a customer that's a prosecutor(and thinks this is a bad idea) he says there's nothing we can do about it.

lol maybe i should have my head examined then...

Well i can tell you that i think this has been calling me for a while. Last night my wife told me "in the 7 years i have known you there is only one thing you have ever told me you REALLY want to do and thats be a police officer". I started making pretty good money starting college and got into sales and started a family and never looked back. But now i feel like i want to DO something, something good for the community, i want to help people, all the while not being cooped up in an office all day. My daughter tells me the other day the police man is a hero. I would love for her to look at me that way...

the bolded means a lot to me

All that force accomplished is making an entire county pay for Camden instead of just Camden. But I'm guessing the majority of that city aren't tax payers

BINGO!

Seriously if you want to get into L.E. get a 4 yr degree and go to MD or DE state police.

I will warn you now, being a LEO is very stressful on your family. Especially in the beginning. You get pushed around from shift to shift, crappy days off like Tuesday and Wednesday. Have to work every holiday. Mandatory doubles(money is great but when you do 3 in a row, your wife feels like a single parent). The list goes on.

lol maybe i should have my head examined then...

the bolded means a lot to me

if you wanna be LE then do it.. I can tell you after 15 years its all of the above, stressful, aggravating, tiring.. But at times extremely rewarding and worthwhile, no regrets here.. I've laughed more than I cried....my family's been taken care of well, the sense of camaraderie is very rewarding.. Like you said.. I made a decision to not sit in an office my whole life.. And never looked back.. Good Luck my friend

Yeah i'm aware of that, my soon-to-be wife is a nurse, they do as well. The stress on family life has been tough with her schedule, but we are used to it now and since its only 3 12 hour days we have gotten used to it and made it work. Im afraid if i had a similar schedule (esp with having a young child) it may be too much in terms of stress on the family life.. Big reason why i have hesitated for so long to even start applying...

Two of my cousins are cops - one with State Troopers and the other with Port Authority. The statey urged me several times to apply, but the money for the first few years would have been an issue. Moot point now that I'm past the max age, but at that time, I already had mortgage and other obligations that would not be supported by the starting salary.

The schedule is not a big deal, as I've been working for weeks at a time overseas anyway, so wife was used to it.

Had I gone through with it 10 years ago, I'd be doing ok now, salary-wise, and closer to retirement. But that was then.

My buddy sent me the application awhile ago, after we talked about it. Working in the most dangerous city in America kind of intrigued me.

I read through the application(which was like 40 pages) and I got to the firearms section. Do you have an FPID, why do you have an FPID, do you have a CCW, why do you have a CCW, list all firearms owned, etc.

That stopped me dead in my tracks, seemed way to invasive IMO.