iRescue

We don't know right from wrong anymore..

Quick story...

My money was recently stolen .. I got cash back at a self serve register at the grocery store.. Forgot to take it from the dispenser.. Got to car, realized it was missing.. walked back (3 minutes had passed) it was gone... There was a person right behind me. I'm sure it was her.

I was pissed and "venting" at work by saying I hope bad things happen to the person who took it.

Coworker responds.. "well it's not their fault YOU left your money! "

What the hell?!? The person did not turn the money ($100) in. It was not theirs. It was Stolen.

We, in this country, act like the criminals are the victims. And it makes me sick.

I lost my wallet on the mountain while snowboarding in Vermont a few years ago. Someone turned it in to lost and found after helping themselves to the 240 bucks that was in the wallet. It sucked but at least I got my ID and credit cards back. Then last year I was driving and found a purse on the side of the road. pulled over and checked the wallet inside for an ID and the address was only a few houses away. I did see that there was 400 in 100 dollar bills in the wallet. I am not going to lie I was tempted but I remembered how much it sucked when my cash was taken so I took the purse to the address and a lady answered the door with a shocked look on her face. the first thing she did was pull out her wallet right in front of me so I told her that her 400 was still there I did not take it. She thanked me and I walked back to my truck, I was about to pull away when she came back out with a bottle of wine and gave it to me and then handed me a 100 dollar bill and thanked me again. I lost out on 300 bucks but I did the right thing and was rewarded for it anyway.

Maybe she didn't even know she took it when it gave her change... i rarely count the change unless it was substantial. Probably a nice find when you open up your wallet. wouldn't have good people if the bad didn't exist.

I was at the Museum of natural history in December when the guy in front of me took his receipt from the machine but left his ticket, seemed like an out-of-town guy... I actually tracked him down in a crowed of people and asked to see his ticket, i didn't notice until i handed out the tickets and came up one extra. My brother and sister helped me find the guy, i didn't even know what he looked like since i wasn't paying attention.

Also, my brother left his wallet on his car and it fell off down the street, some guy brought it back, and i don't live on a street you generally just pull over and pick something up, and he didn't live near by either.

i remember when i worked as a garbage man i found close to $400 in the trash. i didnt know which house it was from but the other guy i was working with saw which can it was and he took it back to the house. i was ready to split it with him and this guy was not what i would consider a "stand-up" guy. he surprised me by doing the right thing. it gave me slight hope in humanity at that moment. the people couldnt have been more happy and they gave us lunch money that day.

I lost out on 300 bucks but I did the right thing and was rewarded for it anyway.

I hate to nitpick, but you didn't lose out on anything. How could you lose out on 300 dollars that wasn't yours to begin with? I'm sorry, but with comments like these, it is no wonder people steal. Some people think they are some how entitled to it.

I don't mean to call you out, or think that you thought you were entitled to it. Obviously that isn't the case. I think (and hope!) it was just a bad way to say it. It is just a pet peeve.  

I hate to nitpick, but you didn't lose out on anything. How could you lose out on 300 dollars that wasn't yours to begin with? I'm sorry, but with comments like these, it is no wonder people steal. Some people think they are some how entitled to it.

I don't mean to call you out, or think that you thought you were entitled to it. Obviously that isn't the case. I think (and hope!) it was just a bad way to say it. It is just a pet peeve.  

I think you read into it too much.  If fishnut really thought he missed out on $300 he would have taken it and never posted this.  I wuold feel the same way but the feeling of doing the rite thing is better.

Ken

I remember walking through the train station in Queens one morning around 4am on my way to work.It was around 1985 I find a purse with $1800 in it. I pull the DL out look up the name in the phone book and call. A man answers and says he and his wife will meet me at the local A&P across town. I get there and the guy takes the purse and starts screaming at me where did I find it as his wife was no where near the train station. I mean yelling at me! Needless to say no reward.

I figured later the lady must have been fooling around with another guy in the train station and could not give a good reason for her purse being there so she denied going there and tried to blame me for stealing it. But everything was there so what could I have stolen.LOL

yes poor choice of words on my part

A few years back, my wallet fell out of my pocket in the movie-theater. I went back a few hours later, nothing was turned up or found, even when I searched the seats myself.

I had 20 bucks, my DL, and my GF's picture in it. The most stressful part was getting another copy of my DL afterwards.

Honestly, i agree with your co-worker. Sucks, but you left it..

People saying call the cops?  The person didnt steal the money, they found it!   Yeah they could have turned it in, but they dont HAVE to.  Its their choice.  FInders keepers, you know the saying...

To be clear, im not advocating taking the money, i would have turned it in myself, but I wouldnt be mad if someone didnt.  I would be mad at myself for leaving it...

Opposite story (where the lost wallet is a scam):

I worked security once upon a time at a department store.

Some lady left her wallet at the register. Per store policy, the cashier called it in, put it in a tracer money bag signed by her and a manager and walked it to the office, all on video.

When the lady came back for it (30-40 minutes later), I broke the seal on the bag and handed her the wallet. She counted the money (around $40) and said she was short $300.

Now, I had video of the wallet from when she took it out of her purse all the way until it got to our office where it sat on a desk with a camera pointed at it. No one took anything out.

I didn't even bother telling her any of that. I just said "Well that's theft, you should report it to the police. Do you want me to call them or are you going to?"
She started insiting that the store had to give her the money, her son's alawyer, blah blah.
I told her I wasn't doing anything without a police report. After about 2 minutes I started to dial local PD, at which point she said "I don't want to wait for them, I'll go straight to the police station". Needless to say, she was never heard from again.

Honestly, i agree with your co-worker. Sucks, but you left it..

People saying call the cops? The person didnt steal the money, they found it! Yeah they could have turned it in, but they dont HAVE to. Its their choice. FInders keepers, you know the saying...

To be clear, im not advocating taking the money, i would have turned it in myself, but I wouldnt be mad if someone didnt. I would be mad at myself for leaving it...

Wow, seriously?

It wasn't money on the ground with nobody in sight, it was in a change return slot from the guy that was just in front of you. For all intents & purposes, it's an ATM.

It's both stealing and a dirtbag move.

He should 100% call the fuzz and have the video reviewed.

"Integrity is what you do when no one is looking."

That said... I understand the thought process.  It's easy to say "do the right thing"  or "it's not yours, so you're stealing."  What makes it difficult is living an honest life, telling the truth, returning missing property, etc etc, all the while watching dishonest people reap benefits left and right.      I don't think 9 out of 10 people expect their wallet to be returned with money in it.  Doing the right thing is harder today than it used to be. I feel like having character and honor puts someone at a disadvantage these days.

Wow, seriously?

It wasn't money on the ground with nobody in sight, it was in a change return slot from the guy that was just in front of you. For all intents & purposes, it's an ATM.

It's both stealing and a dirtbag move.

He should 100% call the fuzz and have the video reviewed.

well i guess it being in the change dispenser might make it a little different.  It is more like an ATM at that point...  Its a tough situation.  Like i said, i agree it certainly is a dirtbag move to take it, but is that actually theft?

Just playing devils advocate.

"Integrity is what you do when no one is looking."

That said... I understand the thought process. It's easy to say "do the right thing" or "it's not yours, so you're stealing." What makes it difficult is living an honest life, telling the truth, returning missing property, etc etc, all the while watching dishonest people reap benefits left and right. I don't think 9 out of 10 people expect their wallet to be returned with money in it. Doing the right thing is harder today than it used to be. I feel like having character and honor puts someone at a disadvantage these days.

Sad, sad world we live in when having integrity is a disadvantage....

Its not theft. And the police likely wouldn't do anything about it. Most companies won't even get involved with cameras and such unless there is a police subpoena.

Sucks you left it dude, I would have tried tell you. But your lack of awareness is no one else's fault.

Technically it's theft of mislaid property. One key element is knowingly taking the money. You would have to review the tape to see what this person did. If she immediately took it its theft. If she didn't notice it and got cash or change and then took it then it could have been done inadvertently. I lean towards she took it and is a scumbag.

Technically it's theft of mislaid property. One key element is knowingly taking the money. You would have to review the tape to see what this person did. If she immediately took it its theft. If she didn't notice it and got cash or change and then took it then it could have been done inadvertently. I lean towards she took it and is a scumbag.

I'll stand corrected. I still say for $100 it is what it is and lesson learned.

BLF is there a monetary minimum to report such a theft?

There are still some out there. A month ago my wife and myself where shopping at Toys-R-Us for our nephew. When leaving the store I saw a woman's wallet on top of the gum ball machine. I picked it up and looked around and did not see anyone. I did not want to take it to the store customer service desk as I felt the slugs would keep what ever was in it. I pulled the drivers license out and went up to a woman in the parking lot with a child but it was not her. We then decided to drive it to the woman's house about 10 miles away, needless to say she was very happy. She didn't even know it was missing yet. Not one penny was taken. DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.

If I do not manage my property and create a loss, then to me it is my fault... I gave up on society a long time ago.. so I subscribe strictly to personal accountability.. 

sure they are trash for not giving it to you...

but you bought a lesson.. and the lesson is to be more aware...

don't mean it in a rude way.. but I am SO ocd about everything I do.. I could not imagine losing money like that.. 

take slower more deliberate steps..