Jon

More problems for Glock...

The Palm Beach sheriff’s office is reporting an unfortunately notable streak of failures with their Glock service pistols. CBS4 obtained a confidential Sheriff’s report documenting the department’s Glock issues.

All of the Palm Beach sheriff’s problems have been striker-related, and the report is simply called “Firing Pin Issue.” In all instances of the problem, faulty strikers were causing failures to fire.

Other law enforcement agencies have heard of the Palm Beach sheriff’s department’s problems, with the Miami Dade PD even making a five-minute PSA video warning officers about the problem and how to check against it.

http://www.guns.com/2013/05/14/florida-sheriffs-office-reports-problems-with-glock-service-pistols-video/

Glock blamed the ammo.... lol.... yeah LE ammo is the cause....

Ammo may not always be the case and Glock and really does suck sometimes when these issues crop up.

But... The QC of ammo manufacturers is currently at an all time low. I regularly see primers set too deep in the pockets, primers installed backwards or sideways, just plain bad primers in general, no flash hole in the case, no powder in the case, bullet set at an angle, cases crimped or rolled at the neck.

In 10 years as a fireams instructor overseeing well over 25,000 rounds a year in student guns (pistol, rifle, subgun, & shotgun) and an additional 5000 - 10000 rounds a year that I shoot myself, I have never seen the amount of ammo related problems that I have seen in the last year and a half.

Add the typical cops reluctance to maintain their weapon or to properly rotate ammo when loading/unloading their pistol and you will get these issues.

Also, as GRIZ stated, when 60-70% of Law Enforcement Agencies I this country carry Glock, you will hear about their failures proportionally more than others.

I have had to swap my striker on a few of my Gen 3 .40 Glocks as it approached the appropriate round count. It is a wear part and has a finite service life. Preventative Maintenance is important.

Understand that I am not saying that Glock is incapable of making a bard part, or that MIM strikers are a good idea. I am stating that it seems like there is more to this story.

Nice catch Maks...

Glock always sends a rep immediately to a dept having ANY trouble.. And they replace any parts needed for free ASAP.. As my dept armorer told me once ..anytime theres a problem with our MP-5's its a minimum $250.00 per gun fix from HK.. Now thats service :(

Nice catch Maks...

Glock always sends a rep immediately to a dept having ANY trouble.. And they replace any parts needed for free ASAP.. As my dept armorer told me once ..anytime theres a problem with our MP-5's its a minimum $250.00 per gun fix from HK.. Now thats service :(

Actually, I do dislike glocks... but over time, I value their company and support for shooting sports.

As much as anyone can hate on Glock.... you can't argue about the fact that on the whole, they are probably the most reliable pieces of tactical Tupperware out there.

Edit.... Here is where I earned respect for glock. A shooter on another forum, blew up his gun in a KB after he double charged a case. The gun was fubared. He sent it in to Glock to see if any parts were still good, with a note that HE and his reloads were responsible. They replaced his entire gun, for $70.

How is that for service?

Ammo may not always be the case and Glock and really does suck sometimes when these issues crop up.

But... The QC of ammo manufacturers is currently at an all time low. I regularly see primers set too deep in the pockets, primers installed backwards or sideways, just plain bad primers in general, no flash hole in the case, no powder in the case, bullet set at an angle, cases crimped or rolled at the neck.

In 10 years as a fireams instructor overseeing well over 25,000 rounds a year in student guns (pistol, rifle, subgun, & shotgun) and an additional 5000 - 10000 rounds a year that I shoot myself, I have never seen the amount of ammo related problems that I have seen in the last year and a half.

Add the typical cops reluctance to maintain their weapon or to properly rotate ammo when loading/unloading their pistol and you will get these issues.

Also, as GRIZ stated, when 60-70% of Law Enforcement Agencies I this country carry Glock, you will hear about their failures proportionally more than others.

I have had to swap my striker on a few of my Gen 3 .40 Glocks as it approached the appropriate round count. It is a wear part and has a finite service life. Preventative Maintenance is important.

Understand that I am not saying that Glock is incapable of making a bard part, or that MIM strikers are a good idea. I am stating that it seems like there is more to this story.

As stated QC of ammo is at an all time low.

Edit.... Here is where I earned respect for glock. A shooter on another forum, blew up his gun in a KB after he double charged a case. The gun was fubared. He sent it in to Glock to see if any parts were still good, with a note that HE and his reloads were responsible. They replaced his entire gun, for $70.

How is that for service?

Nice, they allowed their customer to pay manufacturer's cost on the product.

I was at a local LEO range for my sons 4H and found a lot of live ammo on the ground, mostly 40 cal. What I noticed were primer strikes but no boom. On close inspection, it appeared that the case was almost roll crimped. In a straight wall case this would explain strikes with no boom as the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth. With a hard taper or almost roll crimp, the striker would push the round forward and cause it not to fire. So it may not be Glocks fault in this case. I'm not defending Glock, but without knowing the other components, it is hard to blame any one thing.

When I use Tula or Wolf primers I get about 10-15 light strikes per 1000 round with my Glocks. . Hammer fired pistols maybe 3-5 per 1000.

Striker fire pistols can be more suseptable to ammo issues as noted above. But I imagine LE ammo would have very sensitive primers. I'm no expert though.

Glock blamed the ammo.... lol.... yeah LE ammo is the cause....

COuld be. With the demand on the ammo manufacturing pipeline, they could be getting bum primers. Poorly positioned anvils, improperly sized anvils, or going with a vendor that is producing less sensitive priming compound could al cause misfire issues, especially if combined with a worn gun. It's hard to say because nobody is being specific about the type of failures occurring. pierced primers and chipped strikers could be the striker and/or failure to maintain the guns. Light strikes could be that or out of spec anvils or flipped anvils. Poor maintenance (i.e. not replacing springs) could cause timing issues which could wear the striker oddly or chip it, and result in light strikes, even with good ammo, or could make less sensitive primer compound or exceptionally thick primer cups into something that would cause a misfire. 

Vendors usually don't like to point out that large customers are doing something stupid. 

When I use Tula or Wolf primers I get about 10-15 light strikes per 1000 round with my Glocks. . Hammer fired pistols maybe 3-5 per 1000.

Striker fire pistols can be more suseptable to ammo issues as noted above. But I imagine LE ammo would have very sensitive primers. I'm no expert though.

They'd have sensitive primers? like military ammo does? Uhh no. These guys are going to be doing administrative loads and what not. THe primers will not be super sensitive. 

They'd have sensitive primers? like military ammo does? Uhh no. These guys are going to be doing administrative loads and what not. THe primers will not be super sensitive. 

What does that have to do with the primer?  The firing pin is not out when doing an administrative load.  A more sensitive primer is more likely to go off when 

fired is my point.  And when I say more sensitive I'm comparing a Federal to the likes of a CCI.  I'm not saying the go off when dropped.