EWC88

Good furniture places?

So me and the gf are getting a apartment and we are going to need all new furniture. We have checked out only one place, Ashley furniture because its near my house. But was wondering of any other places people can recommend that is near south jersey? I would even go to Delaware and Philly area. Just like looking around I mean Ashley was pretty expensive, but at same time this is my first time buying this stuff so it will seem it that way. I don't need the Rolls Royce of furniture, but nothing junk ya know.

Any information is great!

Ashley is not expencive.LOL But for a cheaper place find a Bobs discount furniture. Even better is get the craiglist pro app on your phone and search craigslist for wood dinning sets and the like. I would not buy a used couch or anything cloth though as I am afraid of bed bugs.

But you can get some great deals on top end stuff by Thomasville or Ethan Allen. I got a complete mint mahogany 9 year old dinning set by thomasville for $1200.

The list on it was over 10 grand when new.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive.....When my wife and I were engaged, we bought a house. We each had bedroom furniture from growing up, but nothing else. Her father found a furniture shop in Elizabeth, when he entered the guy told him this was just an office and the showroom was really at the warehouse, near the port. My father-in-law called us up, we hopped in the truck and went to the warehouse. Everything was Ashley and brand new, but some of the floor models look like they were there for a while. We picked out a living room set-couch and loveseat, but my Wife (fiance) decided she wanted an oversize chair instead, then decided she wanted 2 chairs, 3 glass tables (one coffee and 2 end) 2 lamps, and a solid wood kitchen table with 4 chairs. The couch was in stock, he special ordered the Chairs from the catalog, and we took the display model coffee, end tables, lamps and Kitchen set. the total was right around $1800 (which I was happy happier then a pig in $hi), but being the cheapskate I am, I made a cash offer of $1300,but I had to pay an extra $120 for delivery. So for under $1500 I have 2 Ashley furnished rooms for the price of 1 bargain store living room.

I say Ashley is expensive probably because this is my first time buying furniture and never knew how much it costs. So if the prices they have are what it normally is then so be it I'm a noob to this furniture buying lol.

I would never buy a couch from Craigslist, if anything like you said a table and chairs. So maybe I'll check that out.

I don't mind spending the money as long as the crap lasts!

Anyone ever go to "The Dump"? They have weird hours so hard for me to get there.

Yea I heard mix reviews in Ikea. Some people said its great and cheap, others say its pricey for the poor quality. So I've been always confused on them. Guess I can always just take a look for myself lol.

We've had pretty good luck with Bob's. Their cheap stuff is really cheap. Their middle of the line stuff has lasted us a pretty long time.

Same with ikea, you have to go and look at it. Some of their cheap stuff is garbage, but a lot of it is fine.

I'd also spend some time on craigslist. You can get some awesome deals, and alot of time, you can even get bookshelfs and the like for free.

I personally wouldn't want to chance a craigslist couch.. and def not a used mattress.. lol.. but i know people who would and they are still living.

When my wife and I got engaged, we went to Jarons in robinsville. Decent prices and decent quality. Bought an all oak wood bedroom set and living entertain center for under 1k. Not sure if they are till around of if the quality has changed in the past years, but it worked for us

I strongly suggest you take a look at Cort Furniture and AFR

http://nj.cortclearancefurniture.com/?gclid=CO-eqozp_LcCFc-f4AodAwsA6w

http://www.afrcc.com/

Both places are within 2 miles of each other.  One in Pennsauken, one in Cinnaminson.

Basically, they re-sell rented furniture.  When homebuilder needs to furnish a model home, they rent furniture from Cort or AFR.  When the model home is closed, Cort and AFR take the furniture back and resell it to you.

Depending on what you get, the furniture is basically unused.

When I got my first apartment, I furnished the entire thing - Queen bed, mattress, two nightstands, dresser, mirror, couch, two chairs, dinette , 3 lamps and TV stand  for $1040, including delivery from AFR.  They also have package deals.  Give them a look.

I got my mattress, living room set and sons bed all from Value City furniture in toms river, I know they have more stores than just the toms river one.

For $999 I got: microfiber suede loveseat and couch, two end tables, coffee table, two lamps (and some decorative bowls and vases which I got rid of Lol). So I was pretty pleased

I say Ashley is expensive probably because this is my first time buying furniture and never knew how much it costs. So if the prices they have are what it normally is then so be it I'm a noob to this furniture buying lol.

I would never buy a couch from Craigslist, if anything like you said a table and chairs. So maybe I'll check that out.

I don't mind spending the money as long as the crap lasts!

Anyone ever go to "The Dump"? They have weird hours so hard for me to get there.

I  bought a sofa and love seat at the dump for $1200 or so. Microfiber with some stain guard on it. They are nice couches but not the most sturdy, I actually broke one during "activities". However, I cut the bottom open and used some joist hangars and what not to sure it up. Pretty solid, have lasted more than 7 years.

Yea I heard mix reviews in Ikea. Some people said its great and cheap, others say its pricey for the poor quality. So I've been always confused on them. Guess I can always just take a look for myself lol.

I'll give you my take. 

Book cases they can be damn good on. Most other outlets are either way more expensive for something better built, or not much less for something way less sturdy. 

Things like desks and basic tables they are worth a look at. Mainly because they service a price point with enough simplicity to be able to bump up the material quality for the same price. 

Lots of their lamps and accessories are competitive and unlike a lot of the furniture chains, it won't be the exact same thing you saw in every other store. 

Couches and bed frames I don't think that have particularly good value on. Dressers can be a mixed bag. Same thing with area rugs, end tables, coffee tables, entertainment center stuff, etc. 

If you have to pay for delivery, it all pretty much loses the price advantage. They are pretty low on the deceptive practices and salesman duchebaggery though, which some people place value on. 

Check out Flemington Department Store on Route 31.

Beat me to it.

I've never been inside, but a lot of people talked about it over the years as the place to get deals on decent furniture. Obviously can't vouch for it myself, but I would look into it. Less than an hour from Gloucester.

Craigslist is basically for getting raped or eaten. I bought a window air conditioner off Craigslist a couple years ago. Guy had everything out in his front yard. I opened my car door and got out, and he said, "I have a dog!" Yeah, OK buddy. It was a golden retriever. I would have shot him first because the dog would have run away after that. BTW - you can kill dogs for chasing or attacking any animal or person in PA, by statute, with no liability. It's pretty much open season on dogs, with the responsibility to do the right thing left up to us. And we do.

Ikea is extremely anti-gun.

I hear people that don't open carry talk about "This company says no guns!" or "That company said blah blah!"

There are only two companies I know for sure will kick you out if they think you have a gun:

1. Ikea

2. Buffalo Wild Wings

That's it. I don't care what you heard, I carry everywhere, most places don't care regardless of any real or imagined policy.

Fuck Ikea.

Runner up is:

3. Labcorp

They all have No Guns signs (only one I've ever seen on a private business) but they are not drilled to enforce it like Ikea and BWW.