iRescue

NJ Home Carry Options, Advice and Discussion 2013

i just told mom that as soon as her paperwork comes through, and she gets her p22, i'm getting her a holster, and defensive shooting lessons. then i'm gonna drag her to an outdoor range every weekend, to make sure she practices.

i shall have a holster for my ria 1911cs, and will be wearing it constantly at home now. right now, when i get home, i load my remington 1911, and keep it in easy reach, as i don't have a holster for that one.

I put a Viridian GREEN laser on my P22. This setup is for me. Awesome shoot-from-the-hip setup. I can hold the gun close and tight against my hip and quickly empty a mag in a tight pattern. That will get someones attention and not make your ears ring. Remember that there's no time for ear protection. If your wife never fired a gun without protection she may be the one that gets spooked. I got the laser for P22 from xfighterdefense-dot-com for under $200 and they throw in a free holster that holds the sight+gun perfectly.

I will not carry at home, mostly due to the fact, that I'm fearful that I'd leave the house and forget I was carrying.  Not a situation you'd want to find yourself in.

i would worry about the same thing.

How's does "duty to retreat" factor in our lovely state?? I'm now thinking of have a weapon in each room- to be available for break-ins through front door, rear door, or accessible windows. Not paranoid just playing it safe.

I wonder though...if the lady assaulted did have a gun and used it, she would have the video to back up the incident.  For those of us not running baby cams inside the house, what happens to us if we did the same?  It would be word against word.

Frankly, I'm nervous that the legal support that exists for criminals in a robbery/invasion/trespassing scenario is so stacked against us.

If somebody busts in and comes at my family, and he gets shot dead, the relatives would come after me financially.  If I shoot him in the leg as a deterrent, he very well may end up owning my house after the lawsuit.

What do you think?

Not trying to be a smart ass but I'm sure you've heard the phrase:

"I would rather be judged by 12 of my peers than carried by 6 of my friends"

Protect yourself and your family first.

Question. So if I have my 9mm in a retention holster on my hip while i'm mowing the lawn, And the police roll up do I have to show them id or tell them i'm not breaking any laws to please move on.

Me, I'd conceal it to avoid the hassle. Lawfully, I would think you're in the clear, but when a neighbor calls the police, they are going to come check you out. You're in jersey, very few of my neighbors would be accepting of seeing that. Right or wrong, this is what we're up against.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Question. So if I have my 9mm in a retention holster on my hip while i'm mowing the lawn, And the police roll up do I have to show them id or tell them i'm not breaking any laws to please move on. 

I am no expert but it dosen't sound like that breaks any laws. In fact it just sounds like a PIA situation. I dont have a precinct and my "area" is patroled by state police. If i did that my liberal army of neighbors would call a friggin swat team

I agree with keeping it concealed.

How's does "duty to retreat" factor in our lovely state?? I'm now thinking of have a weapon in each room- to be available for break-ins through front door, rear door, or accessible windows. Not paranoid just playing it safe.

There is no duty to retreat INSIDE your home. This business of running away from your home because of nj law is false. The law clearly states that one has no duty to retreat when inside their home, dwelling, etc.

The real question should be; If I am outside cutting my lawn and I see someone breaking into my house, do I need to go into the house before confronting him?

The real question should be; If I am outside cutting my lawn and I see someone breaking into my house, do I need to go into the house before confronting him?

IMO, I wouldn't have enough confidence in the law to go in after him.  I'd retreat to a neighbor's and / or call 911.  BUT, if I have loved ones inside, I'm going in no matter what.

In that case you don't confront him. You call the cops. The only exception would be if your family members were inside the house.

When it comes to carrying, one needs to dress around the gun, and not the other way around. Unfortunately the most effective means of carrying means you need to give up a little in terms of comfort and convenience. I would not want to carry with any of my athletic shorts. Even a j-frame in the pocket will cause it to sag in short order.

My suggestion is to find a relatively comfy set of cargo shorts, and use a proper belt and holster. That means, not a belt you can buy t the mall, and not a crappy holster like Fobus or SERPA.

I do have a gcode incog for the G26 as well as 5.11 leather belt or my OSOE EDC belt.

I was just hoping that someone may have found something that worked for them.

Has anyone tried a shoulder holster for home carry?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I do not like shoulder holsters at all and for a number of reasons.

- You routinely sweep your own support side arm when drawing. Under stress and with a startle reaction you may very well put a hole in yourself on the draw.

- With a horizontal scabbard you are muzzling everyone behind you and the draw has the potential to be disastrous. Again, under stress and with a startle reaction and you may very well put a hole in someone else.

- The draw is much slower and very conspicious. It is hard to keep your hands near your gun in a shoulder hater without telegraphing the move.

- You need 2 hands to return the gun to the holster and in doing so you routinely sweep your arm, flank/ribs, and hip.

- They are much more expensive than other holster types.

- Your shoulder/back gets sore after a while.

- Weapon retention is problematic at best.

- You need a jacket of some kind to hide it, making it more uncomfortable and conspocious in warmer weather. You would look kinda funny in athletic shorts and a blazer or safari-vest. If you don't feel like changing out of your athletic shorts for something you can put a belt on for a more traditional carry style I don't see you wearing a shoulder holster appropriate cover garment like a jacket, vest, or blazer.

- The pistol bounces off your ribs constantly, and for most it is a new/second draw stroke.

It does look cool on Cop shows though. ;)

Edited by High Exposure

No duty to retreat in your own home.

If you shoot someone in your home, expect to spend at minimum $30k to defend yourself in both civil and criminal court. You should not take the decision to use deadly force lightly, HOWEVER, if it is needed to defend yourself or your family, the price is irrelevant.

Where do you get this $30k number from?  Are there any real life examples of a legitimate shooter in their home being prosecuted for the shoot?  Or any civil actions? 

Why would anyone even worry about the consequences of having to use deadly for legitimate defense or the confiscation of an expensive firearm.  I'm more worried about be prepared than the consequences.  The probability of being involved in a home invasion where you will need to use deadly force to prevent it very, very low.   I'm not aware of any NJ laws that are stacked against a legitimate use of deadly force.  

The challenge of training is not being able to use a gun and shoot a paper target at 5 or 10 yards.  The challenge is being able to think, act and react in a real life situation. 

Where do you get this $30k number from?  Are there any real life examples of a legitimate shooter in their home being prosecuted for the shoot?  Or any civil actions? 

Why would anyone even worry about the consequences of having to use deadly for legitimate defense or the confiscation of an expensive firearm.  I'm more worried about be prepared than the consequences.  The probability of being involved in a home invasion where you will need to use deadly force to prevent it very, very low.   I'm not aware of any NJ laws that are stacked against a legitimate use of deadly force.  

The challenge of training is not being able to use a gun and shoot a paper target at 5 or 10 yards.  The challenge is being able to think, act and react in a real life situation. 

Repeating data that was provided by an instructor(forum vendor).

I am providing that data because I am concerned that some on this forum would not exhaust every other option before using deadly force against an intruder. I cannot stress it enough, shooting an intruder needs to be the absolute last option.

With that being said, if your life is truly in danger, don't think twice. If it cost me $100,000 to defend my actions I would sleep like a baby, knowing that my family was saved.

I saw a video of a shark attack at local beach but I still do not carry shark repellent when I go there. My point is that low probability things happen all the time and most of them occur much more frequently than what you are worried about. However my life experience seems to indicate that people are more likely to do something about unlikely things, more than the likely which have much higher odds of hurting them, when the answer is a gun. You do what you think best but if I felt the need to carry a gun on me in my own home, fear has won out and that is no way to live. Personally I would look for other options than lugging a gun around and wearing clothes based on their ability to carry a gun. It is your life though and you have to do what you think best.

If I were you I would look more towards hardening your home with better doors, locks and a good alarm system rather than live my life lugging a gun around on me all day in my home. If you have more than one gun you can get some cheap handgun safes and scatter them around the house. I have lots of guns and lots of gun safes and live someplace where a home invasion is as unlikely as it gets but I have guns scattered all over the house. I have the guns and safes so why not? Mine however are more for dealing with coyotes, gators, wild hogs and occasional black bears spotted in the area and/or attacking dogs. My .454 Casull is not exactly a home defense gun. I plan on adding a .44 mag this xmas for the smaller critters.

I always advise people to first make sure they address things that are more likely to hurt or kill them before taking care of those things that guns fix. As Spock would say, it is logical. Think rationally and look at those in your family and among your friends. Are they dying and getting hurt due to criminal violence or are they being harmed by more mundane things that you ignore like health issues, safer cars, fire extinguishers, etc.

If you still fear a home invasion, or whatever you are thinking about carrying a gun for, and only wearing a gun will get rid of that fear, then go ahead because life is not worth living if you have to live it in fear. I know that some do not like the 'f' word and rather call it concern/being prudent or whatever, but I only get concerned about the things I fear. If I am not afraid of something happening I do not prepare for it, especially inconveniencing myself to do so. Whatever you decide, good luck but I recommend that you look for an off body  solution, even something like a Wilderness Tactical SafePacker that you can lay down nearby wherever you may be. Carrying a gun is not comfortable and once the novelty of doing so wears off, you will figure that out for yourself. Feel free to disregard me but this is the advice I have given to others and found it to work for them. You do what you feel you need to do. It is your life, not mine after all.

A good part of my job is protecting facilities that hold high value and sensitive items. Of course, the people who work in them are also valuable. One of the things I learned over the last 30 years of doing this is that good security is keeping the bad guys out, not defending yourself after they get in. If they get in, you have failed in providing good security. Once they are in there is no guarantee that even with your gun you will prevail. We have found armed guards not as effective as dogs and doing things to prevent them from gaining access in the first place. Just having a gun is no guarantee that you will prevail against multiple armed intruders who have the element of surprise and no hesitation to shoot in all and every direction due to fear of hitting the neighbors, woman or children. Your life and your choice but I just wanted to let you know that there are other choices to keep your family safe other than lugging around a gun.

I saw a video of a shark attack at local beach but I still do not carry shark repellent when I go there. My point is that low probability things happen all the time and most of them occur much more frequently than what you are worried about. However my life experience seems to indicate that people are more likely to do something about unlikely things, more than the likely which have much higher odds of hurting them, when the answer is a gun. You do what you think best but if I felt the need to carry a gun on me in my own home, fear has won out and that is no way to live. Personally I would look for other options than lugging a gun around and wearing clothes based on their ability to carry a gun. It is your life though and you have to do what you think best.

If I were you I would look more towards hardening your home with better doors, locks and a good alarm system rather than live my life lugging a gun around on me all day in my home. If you have more than one gun you can get some cheap handgun safes and scatter them around the house. I have lots of guns and lots of gun safes and live someplace where a home invasion is as unlikely as it gets but I have guns scattered all over the house. I have the guns and safes so why not? Mine however are more for dealing with coyotes, gators, wild hogs and occasional black bears spotted in the area and/or attacking dogs. My .454 Casull is not exactly a home defense gun. I plan on adding a .44 mag this xmas for the smaller critters.

I always advise people to first make sure they address things that are more likely to hurt or kill them before taking care of those things that guns fix. As Spock would say, it is logical. Think rationally and look at those in your family and among your friends. Are they dying and getting hurt due to criminal violence or are they being harmed by more mundane things that you ignore like health issues, safer cars, fire extinguishers, etc.

If you still fear a home invasion, or whatever you are thinking about carrying a gun for, and only wearing a gun will get rid of that fear, then go ahead because life is not worth living if you have to live it in fear. I know that some do not like the 'f' word and rather call it concern/being prudent or whatever, but I only get concerned about the things I fear. If I am not afraid of something happening I do not prepare for it, especially inconveniencing myself to do so. Whatever you decide, good luck but I recommend that you look for an off body  solution, even something like a Wilderness Tactical SafePacker that you can lay down nearby wherever you may be. Carrying a gun is not comfortable and once the novelty of doing so wears off, you will figure that out for yourself. Feel free to disregard me but this is the advice I have given to others and found it to work for them. You do what you feel you need to do. It is your life, not mine after all.

A good part of my job is protecting facilities that hold high value and sensitive items. Of course, the people who work in them are also valuable. One of the things I learned over the last 30 years of doing this is that good security is keeping the bad guys out, not defending yourself after they get in. If they get in, you have failed in providing good security. Once they are in there is no guarantee that even with your gun you will prevail. We have found armed guards not as effective as dogs and doing things to prevent them from gaining access in the first place. Just having a gun is no guarantee that you will prevail against multiple armed intruders who have the element of surprise and no hesitation to shoot in all and every direction due to fear of hitting the neighbors, woman or children. Your life and your choice but I just wanted to let you know that there are other choices to keep your family safe other than lugging around a gun.

I fully agree.  Better to worry about your weight, cholesterol and blood pressure than a home invasion.

Regarding sweats, the best time to come and kill me is when I am on my way to or from the exercise room. Because my hands are full - A little bucket with phones/water/handgun in one hand and an AR or SMG in the other hand. Although well armed, never want to get caught with hands full.

I don't carry when I exercise indoors. I have a handgun on the equipment next to my face and a rifle next to the equipment.

If I were to exercise outside, which I don't, I honestly feel OWB with a Glock in shorts with gun belt would be the most comfortable. That's the way I roll with doing yardwork, tree work, tending the farms of friends, etc. Everything that is hot and sweaty and messy and painful.

I know some people find something they are happy with in between - like carrying a plastic compact IWB in jogging shorts. But that is too much of an uncomfortable hassle that would only work for me if I set it up for one specific activity.

You really cant carry w. basketball shorts, MAYBE with a Remora holster, but I wouldnt be very confident in it. 

You will have to change a little to carry...  Like others have said, cargo shorts work well with a good belt and an IWB holster. 

I use a hidden hybrid holster for my M&P Shield

http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com/

Its a GREAT quality holster (crossbreed style) but very affordable. Plus it can be used OWB if you want as well. 

OP, Im off friday and may run out to R14 to shoot. You can check it out there if you want... (havent shot in about 2 months :( )

So, I was home alone today and this thread had me thinking. I grabbed a pair of athletic shorts, my LCP, an extra mag, and a DeSantis Nemesis holster for a cargo pocket:

081CDBB7-4EA1-493F-9A12-6923BD3CB8AD-107

7E59C60D-7366-4C0B-9D67-747A909D9BD5-107

I tucked everything under the band for my underwear and the shorts together and against a tucked in Under Armor shirt at the 12:00 position, similar to an appendix carry:

57D0804F-BB5A-4311-B66C-BC4E92CBEEF6-107

(Note: The mag is in the pouch backwards for a right hand shooter/left band reload. I realized after I took the photos and then made the correction)

And covered it with a t shirt:

B7022838-8EC4-4110-9135-90EEBA5EF6CF-107

And wore it all day around the house.

The t shirt covered it very well and the setup was surprisingly relatively comfortable. After sitting or standing it had to be adjusted, but otherwise stayed put. It wasn't super secure, I wouldn't want to run, do yard work, or roll with anyone, but for doing some household chores, walking the dog, doing some stuff on the computers his worked.

I also tried it with a Kahr PM9 and a G27 in standard DeSantis Nemesis holsters. It was a No-Go with these pistols. They are simply too heavy to be held up like this for very long and too thick to conceal well. They fell out of the waist band within a couple of steps.

Now I am not changing my normal carry method, and this is not completely ideal, but, for a day when I am not feeling 100% and don't want to get dressed, this is a viable option but I still suggest a traditional carry method for most days.

^^Thank you very much for that follow up. I really appreciate it.

Just so happens that I was considering the LCP as one of my next handguns. How do you like it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta