pbkid6974

why is shopping for a new helmet so hard? GAHHH!!

I just recently acquired an 86 Honda Shadow 1100. The only helmets I have are for the sportbike I owned 3 years ago, which is completely thrashed, and my dirtbike helmet. So began my search for a decent new full-face or modular helmet. The past 2 days of looking have been way more stressful than deciding on which gun to buy next. So many styles, so many colors, so many everything!!! It always seems the ones I like are way out of my price range. I don't want to skimp cuz I only have one skull. I guess I'm just letting off some steam.

/rant

anyway, this is the one I'm more leaning towards, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-ss2200-spin-doctor-helmet

what do you guys think?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/shoei/qwest_helmets_closeout_graphics.html

Shoei Quest.....   Basicly an RF1000 made for cruisers.... venting is positoned for more upright position....

That's a bit more than I'm looking to spend. And i would like to have the flip down internal sun visor.

I'd say go to a shop to try them on first before you go buying one online.  Get one that fits properly and is comfortable.   

There are so many different shaped/sizes of heads that some helmets fit better than others. 

I'd say go to a shop to try them on first before you go buying one online.  Get one that fits properly and is comfortable.   

There are so many different shaped/sizes of heads that some helmets fit better than others. 

+1

I almost ordered a helmet, went to the store, and wound up fitting both small and medium of different helmets.

Also, it sucks, but stay away from close outs and sales on helmets... they have a shelf life and those deals are typically old stock... check the build date on what ever you buy.

Each helmet brand is better fitted to a certain shape of head.  The Arai's and Shoei's didn't fit me very well, but I found Scorpion to work beautifully, and for the price I can't complain.  Go to a store and try a few brands on. However, stay away from the lower end ones (HJC, Icon, etc).  Scorpion is the only "budget" brand I'd consider as they're Bell tested and DOT certified.

I feel your pain.  My Shoei is a few years old so I'll need to replace it soon.  First time I wore it I couldn't believe how quiet it was compared to the HJC I had before it.

I really don't mind the wind noise. i just cant stand it leaking around the face shield gasket and whistling as it passes through.

revzilla had a free exchange policy. and no restocking fees. they are located in philly so i could just drive there too. plus it seems that they support 2a.

I have been dealing with Leatherup for gawd knows how long. Excellent service, no exchange policy and great prices on everything. Nice selection of helmets... 10% off sale going on. If you done biz with them before, they usually always send coupons that you can add to the purchase too...

http://www.leatherup.com/l/Motorcycle-Helmets/12.html

Here is my last helmet. Great deal and I love it. It's modular and has a pop down sun shade visor. Similar to what pilots have...

On close out sale for 60 bux.. Well padded and DOT approved.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Helmet-Closeouts/Advanced-Hawk-Ace-Skull-Modular-Dual-Visor-Full-Face-Motorcycle-Helmet/90776.html

90776_H_SH355_MW400.jpgL2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L2xhcmdlL0g2NjM1LWFjL2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L2xhcmdlL0g2NjM1LWFj

we use the orange helmets in our race club... but i always liked bell helmets granted these are race boat helmets not sure their is enough venting for motorcycle but i would stay with a good rated helmet.. 

http://lifelineracegear.com/main/index.php

I have to agree with these guys about not skimping on the helmet.. I am fully for paying for whichever helmet fits me the best. The other year when i went shopping for a new helmet for the wife we tried on everything and the worst part was the best fitting and the most comfortable helmet for her was an Arai... I basically cried well paying for it but it was the right helmet... Also unfortunatly she also got to test it out and it worked.. she compressed 2 vertabra though and is fine today other than the occasional sore back..

Buy the right fit and most comfortable..

Also stop by Washington Cycle Works (WCW) and talk to Ron(huge 2A advocate too) tell him Joe from sportbikeaddicts sent ya...his shop one of the best places around... on the corner of 31 and 57 across from the Dunkin Donuts.

+1

Awesome guy. They used to do organized trips to pa gun shows.

I've tried a whole bunch of helmets over the years and I have to say that my Shoei helmet was by far the best. It was an RF200, and was/is a way better fit and function than any helmet I owned previously or bought since [Arai, AGV, HJC, Bieffe, AFX, etc]. The noise control, both wind and road, and the aerodynamics of the RF200 that is 10+ years old is better than the latest helmets I have. The only reason I don't wear it anymore is because it's old. 

Also stop by Washington Cycle Works (WCW) and talk to Ron(huge 2A advocate too) tell him Joe from sportbikeaddicts sent ya...his shop one of the best places around... on the corner of 31 and 57 across from the Dunkin Donuts.

That's my go-to shop. Ron is great.

Regarding helmet selection there are two basic shapes; round and oval (or egg). You have one or the other. Shoei helmets tend to be oval and Arai tend to be round. For the most part all others follow their lead.

Unless I have experience with a particular brand, I would never buy a helmet online. A helmet must be fit and evaluated. First off, it should be comfortable with no hot (pressure) spots. Secondly it should not move back and forth or slide around your head (with the chin strap loose) when you quickly move your head from side to side.

Fitment is a better indicator then price for performance. I'd rather have a cheap helmet that fits properly then an expensive helmet that doesn't. Many helmet tests over the years by MCN and Motorcyclist confirm this. There are $100 helmets that protect as well or better then $500 helmets. A helmet that doesn't fit can injure or kill you...regardless of price.

Another note, a helmet is designed to withstand one, and only one, impact. Even if you didn't get hurt, the EPS foam in the helmet is now compressed and compromised. Time for a new one.

That's my go-to shop. Ron is great.

Regarding helmet selection there are two basic shapes; round and oval (or egg). You have one or the other. Shoei helmets tend to be oval and Arai tend to be round. For the most part all others follow their lead.

Unless I have experience with a particular brand, I would never buy a helmet online. A helmet must be fit and evaluated. First off, it should be comfortable with no hot (pressure) spots. Secondly it should not move back and forth or slide around your head (with the chin strap loose) when you quickly move your head from side to side.

Fitment is a better indicator then price for performance. I'd rather have a cheap helmet that fits properly then an expensive helmet that doesn't. Many helmet tests over the years by MCN and Motorcyclist confirm this. There are $100 helmets that protect as well or better then $500 helmets. A helmet that doesn't fit can injure or kill you...regardless of price.

Another note, a helmet is designed to withstand one, and only one, impact. Even if you didn't get hurt, the EPS foam in the helmet is now compressed and compromised. Time for a new one.

To add to that, the foam also degrades with time. You should replace your helmet every 3-5 years

Cannot go wrong with ARAI (Mine is RX-Q), Shoei, or AGV. If you are on a budget HJC's will work just fine. Stay away from ICON, Scorpion, AFX, etc.

Try these guys: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=Motorcycle+Helmets%3ACloseout

This is where I got my ARAI.

+1

Ron is a great guy.  I used to race for him back in the late 90s.