CaliDave

Hello, New to the forum and the state!

Hello NJGF!

Im new to the forum, been lurking on and off since February, when I was debating whether or not to move to the East Coast for work from Cali.

I also belong to a great forum called Calguns.net, which is a great resource for any gun owner, not just California residents.

I relocated from Los Angeles office to New York city office, but I chose to move to New Jersey, and commute, mainly because I get so much more for my money here, and my hobby. I moved to North Jersey in May.

I just applied for my NJ Firearms purchaser ID card and permits, last week, did my fingerprints yesterday.

I have also written a letter to Chris Christie regarding those new gun laws that were sitting on his desk before he signed them.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi, and I hope to be active in the gun community, and my new community.

This looks like a great forum, and ive already learned so much from what I've read here.

Have a great weekend!

David

Welcome. While there are those that would argue with me - "firearmwise", I think you are better off here than in CA. They are doing some crazy stuff out there and will soon have a defacto gun ban, as more firearms drop off the approved list and manufacturers will not go to the expense of micro-stamping and recertification. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Rizzo, Pilot, Grunt, Pizza Bob, Arbelest, Bignic, Krdshark!

Older guy, I know! I just figured that out! But im happy with my decision given the short amount of time I had to do everything, and we will see how it goes here, but it may come down to that next year.

Haha, Dude, thanks for the warning Bro!, I mean Broc.

Thanks JT, im in Wayne Township.

Pizza Bob, im still debating that one myself, Cali is strict, but the current process to purchase is much easier there than here, from what I have experienced.

You just walk in the store pick your gun, fill out the paperwork, pay, then wait 10 days for your background check to go through. No permits, mental health check forms, or registration required.

And the laws are changing both here and there, only for the worse!

Thank you everyone!

Pizza Bob, im still debating that one myself, Cali is strict, but the current process to purchase is much easier there than here, from what I have experienced.

You just walk in the store pick your gun, fill out the paperwork, pay, then wait 10 days for your background check to go through. No permits, mental health check forms, or registration required.

And the laws are changing both here and there, only for the worse!

Once you have your FPID - which is good for as long as you reside at that address, you can do that with any long gun - actually, any number of long guns. No wait. Walk-in, pay, fill-out the Fed 4473, NICS check and walk out with your new toys.

With a handgun, the strategy is to always have an active permit on hand - you have to divorce the time it takes to get the P2P from the purchasing process. Then the only restriction is OGAM and there are exceptions to that if need be.

What I didn't know about CA law was that the approved list has an expiration date and manufacturers have to go through the hassle & expense of having their guns recertified - to all current CA gun laws - every so-many years. There are such classics as Sig P226's dropping off that list now, and with micro-stamping now the law in CA, you won't find manufacturers that will be willing to go through that expense. Bingo - a defacto gun ban. That's only one example. I read some truly horrifying new laws that were introduced out there - don't know where they stand in the legislative process, but given the make-up of legislature and the governor, California is toast. JMHO.

Again, welcome to NJ, where comparatively speaking you are better off.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Welcome to the forums from just northeast of you in Bergen County!

I have to say, and no offense to you, but Cali weirded me out. I've been in and around the LA/Huntington Beach area twice. It seemed that almost everyone was trying real, real freakin' hard to be "laid back." But it was beautiful.

Welcome!

Hey man,

Welcome to Soviet Russia circa 1955 and getting worse.

Used to live in West LA for some years......good times.

Do go to the CCW courses folks have around here so you can carry outside NJ.

....and do come out ot the events we have here form time to time to hang out and shoot some trap.

Thanks guys!

I know what you mean Big Blue, but I bet most of those people were not native Californians!

Thanks Damjan, I will definitely try and make it out!

I took classes for Utah and Florida CCW, just before I moved.

I was thinking I would get them before I drove across the country, but I never did, once I realized how long it would take to get processed.

Now that I'm settled, I will send in the applications.

Welcome, also from Wayne.  Let me know when you're heading to the range.  Also, LMK if you need info about places to shoot around here.

Good luck with your permitting.  A couple of years ago, it only took around six weeks to get my FID, but word is that it's currently taking months.

Welcome also from Sussex County. If you come up this way watch out for the (really) wild life.

I must also note that the term 'right coast', while it sounds hopeful, is at best a relative term.

But unless Jerry B. uses his veto pen soon, you are in fact better off here in PRNJ.

For the moment.

I know what you mean Big Blue, but I bet most of those people were not native Californians!

Agreed. I lived in San Diego (and area) for 7 years. And I can testify that there's not a lot of "trying" required in order to be "laid back" out there. Even I (not native) achieved that "laid back" sweet spot pretty easily. 

Welcome to NJ!

(where "laid back" not only doesn't exist.... but it's not even possible to fake!)