kc17

Choosing a holster

I've seen a few posts regarding holsters along lines of which style or brands but none that seem to really address how one goes about choosing a holster. In my thinking picking one out of a picture from a magazine or website seems like a less than ideal method. I'd want to actually handle it and use it. This obviously brings up some challenges, such as selection and bringing my HG to a shop for test fitting.

So how did you pick out a holster? By recommendation, by guessing and hoping, by ordering several and returning/selling ones that didn't work for you?

While I'm more looking for the how than an actual recommendation I know it will be asked what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a quality owb holster that would likely only be used during times like Sandy when I'm outside tending to my property. I'm in a fairly rural area and in all reality have only myself to protect my family and property.

In for anwser.

I suppose it also depends on a few factors: the type of firearm, what kind of carrying youre doing and for me, if it will mar the gun.

I need one for both a semi and revolver.  I also want to use it to conceal carry (outside of NJ obviously) and I dont want it to affect the finish on my gun.

Unfortunately, until you get it in your hands, strap it on, holster up, and then adjust, no one can tell you for sure whether you will like a holster or not.

IMO it's like buying shoes.  My buddy Joe can swear by Reebok - I can't get my damn foot INTO those shoes, far too narrow for me.  There are so many factors at play.  If you look online at Galco for instance, they show you a body clock where they recommend that the holster be carried, but you may find that even with this guidance that you prefer the holster located outside their recommended range...

bodyclock_zps6021269d.jpg

The only opinion that I can give you that I feel is somewhat universal is the following:  Nylon holsters SUCK.  They provide little if any support and have made me nervous in just TRYING to use them to carry a gun around the house.

Dan

Your shoe buying analogy is a good one. The difference is shoe stores tend have a good selection and I can try them on. So far I've seen limited selection in shops. I "assume" if the shop had my gun in stock they "may" let me do a test fit? So far I have not seen a holster in a shop that I liked enough to ask that question.

Kevin

Just my observation, but I only like leather against my skin.   I have several different IWB holsters, and the kydex will never get used unless I have no other alternative.

My favorite is my Comptac Minotaur Mtac.  It is comfortable and holds my HK securely.

OWB, I just bought a  Black Hawk Serpa.   It works and I've practiced enough that I won't shoot myself in the leg.

As mentioned, really depends on what you are using it for.

We shoot USPSA and Speed on Steel, and I've found that Kydex (Uncle Mikes and Blade Tech) have filled the need very well.

For me, being a bit "large" I prefer a holster with drop and offset.  The holster that rides close to my body tends to have the gun dig into my muffin top and can be uncomfortable.

You'll see some guys at the USPSA event with speed holster and magazine pouches sticking all over the place.  That works for USPSA but not IDPA.

So, back to my original point, and one that was brought up earlier in the thread....depends on what you are using for.

If this is for carry in the field on your property then competition features like drop offset or minimalist design that facilitate lighting fast draws are not practical.  For real world use I prefer something that brings the pistol close to the body like Raven Phantom.  The Raven also has excellent retention for an open top holster.  If you expect open carry or performing acrobatics then you might consider a holster with active retention such as Safariland ALS. 

The Raven has a surprising amount of retention for a "passive" design, by virtue of it being so perfectly molded to the pistol and how it rides close to the body.  But if you feel better with active retention then Safariland's ALS system is probably your best bet.  The 6377 belt holster or 6378 paddle version use a thumb lever to release the lock.  If you are willing to accept some more bulk and give up some concealment compared to Raven these are a solid choice.  You can get more tactically with a 6004 SWAT holster but that would be overkill for most people.

You'll also need a proper gun belt.  Trust me, no "regular" belt is going to have enough vertical support no matter how stiff it is.  The Wilderness Instructor belt is excellent and is very popular for good reason - it works so well.  I personally use the 1.5" width Ares Ranger belt with the quick release buckle because the buckle makes it easier to undo my pants when going to the bathroom (there I said it). 

Make sure to match the belt loop size of the hoster with the width of your belt.  1.5" is the most common with plenty of support for a pistol and magazines.  1.75" has a little more support but won't loop through some pants. 

Finally, make sure to get decent training.  The 2nd most dangerous action handling a pistol is drawing from a holster.  The #1 most dangerous is putting it back into the holster.  Gun For Hire has a specific holster class, and many local IDPA or USPSA clubs offer instruction also.  Don't try to teach yourself.

OWB holster with active retention screams Safariland ALS to me as well. It is a well designed, affordable holster and it is now also my primary competition holster. It is that fast, but you could also remarkably secure. It locking is done via the ejection port keeping bits away from the trigger guard and its unlocking is done with the thumb not trigger finger which is inherently safer.

not sure there.. for OWB I prefer a raven setup.. and they have no retention..

The concealment/cover garment is the primary retention.

If you are planning on OCing then the Safariland ALS is the answer.

The Bianchi Carrylok is also a decent OWB rig with active retention, fast draw, and not as bulky as an ALS holster.

As Lorenzo said, a belt designed to carry a gun is a must. I too use the Ares 1.5" Ranger belt (I have 2 of them). Great gear and makes carrying a gun a whole lot more comfortable.

Also look for the new Ares Gear belt coming out in January, It is called the Aegis. It is just as sturdy but looks a little less "tactical" with a different buckle.

So after much debate I accepted the fact that I was just going to have to buy and try. Ordered a DeSantis off of Amazon. Did so based on that is what S&W sells (for more $ of course since logo is on it) and had good reviews. Yes I know it was not mentioned here.

Just got it today. Initial thoughts are if it doesn't stretch out (it is leather) it's useless. Holstering the pistol racks the slide back. Once holster is on belt the extra tension makes it impossible to remove the pistol.

Yes tension screw is all the way out. Little note in the bag said to put gun in dress sock inside holster and let it sit overnight to stretch. Also to wear it for a while to break it in. I will be trying both.

So after much debate I accepted the fact that I was just going to have to buy and try. Ordered a DeSantis off of Amazon. Did so based on that is what S&W sells (for more $ of course since logo is on it) and had good reviews. Yes I know it was not mentioned here.

Just got it today. Initial thoughts are if it doesn't stretch out (it is leather) it's useless. Holstering the pistol racks the slide back. Once holster is on belt the extra tension makes it impossible to remove the pistol.

Yes tension screw is all the way out. Little note in the bag said to put gun in dress sock inside holster and let it sit overnight to stretch. Also to wear it for a while to break it in. I will be trying both.

I had a desanti for 15 minutes before boxing it up to send back...

I really liked my Raven holster... 

Unfortunately, I had to send back 2 beautiful Galco OWB leather holster- waaaaay to tight. Slide should not rack whilst putting it in. I wish I could walk thru the Galco warehouse and try them personally.

Ruger LCR in my pocket now and don't notice it at all.

Sneaky Pete totally hides the gun but easily presents. They look big but concealed means CONCEALED!

Err on the side of too big. Gun needs to come out easily.

I wouldn't use a SLURPA on a bet. In fact I got one for free a few years back and I threw it out.

Can you recommend a good holster for a pistol w/ an rmr?  I finally found a good deal and now will need holsters for an M&P CORE and an FNX TAC w/ RMR's on them.  Took your advice and got the led version w/ 4moa dot.  

I have holsters for both of the reg versions, but they don't work with the raised sights.  

Bladetech makes nice holsters for RMR equipped pistols, and check out Dale Fricke holsters. He makes nice concealment holsters for RMR pistols.

I have also used a Raven Concealment, a Comp Tac Minatour, and a DeSantis Scorpion to carry my RMR Glock, but I had to cut a tiny notch in the sweat guard on each of them.

You can also mod Safariland SLS holsters like the 6004 with a Dremel or some tin snips pretty easily. I did this for a G35 w/RMR as a spare holster (I primarily use the 6354DO). The ALS holster are mod-able but a lot harder to get right.

If you want to go the 6354DO route they are able to be adjusted to hold an M&P. Let me know and I will try to get a "how to" for you.

yet I continue to use it all the time without issue..

People drive drunk regularly for years without issue.  Nobody claims it's a self destruct device that will cause everyone who uses it to instantly shoot themselves in the leg but it clearly increases the chance of a mishap.  Of course you can train around it but with an excellent retention system like the Safariland ALS there is no reason to use a poor design like SERPA. 

I know this debate's been played out to death, but I'll leave this link for the OP in case anyone suggests one of these to hm.  When so many highly respected trainers say this thing is such a bad idea that they won't allow it in their classes, I take notice.  http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?99676-SERPA-Issue-Compilation

People drive drunk regularly for years without issue.  Nobody claims it's a self destruct device that will cause everyone who uses it to instantly shoot themselves in the leg but it clearly increases the chance of a mishap.  Of course you can train around it but with an excellent retention system like the Safariland ALS there is no reason to use a poor design like SERPA. 

I know this debate's been played out to death, but I'll leave this link for the OP in case anyone suggests one of these to hm.  When so many highly respected trainers say this thing is such a bad idea that they won't allow it in their classes, I take notice.  http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?99676-SERPA-Issue-Compilation

When I draw a gun my trigger finger points forward... When I draw the gun I am releasing the lock with my trigger finger brushing against it... I am not hooking my finger and pushing the release... I draw that way on every holster I own... So I'm not training around the holster.... Drawing in this manner puts my finger nowhere near the trigger...

Some people manage to shoot themselves pulling out of all types of holsters... But blaming the holster? I don't get it...