Barms

Next indoor range design.. longer port walls for the rifle guys..

I wish someone could design an extension that could make the walls of the port 20 inches longer for the rifle guys.   I really enjoy taking new shooters to my range.  But yesterday the AR next to me was a cannon going off.   The new shooter with me just hated every minute he was there.  It wasn't a great introduction to the sport for him.

The problem is the rifle sticks out past the walls downrange and blasts people in the next port.   I get it, I'm a big boy, its not a sport for wimps..  but if we all wanted new people  introduced its counterproductive to having someone learning on a .22 with the cannon going off next door.

I'm not hating on rifle guys, I just built an AR (but actually I will only run it in the 50 yard area), I just think it would be a great enhancement for the range.   Can anybody think of a safety issue in having a couple of longer walled ports?

Agreed, but it's the spent brass ejecting into my face from those ports that bugs me the most. Sometime the ROs ask to step back a few feet in the port. Rather than an extension, I think some sort of removable rail in the port to keep shooters from pushing forward would be an ideal solution.

Maybe you should go to the other indoor range in the area that has one range that is for handguns only :)

You get brass kicked at you even from handguns when people stand far forward.  Most people are nice and are happy to step back when you point it out, but some are real ass-holes about this and just say too bad.

I honestly dont get the shooting rifles in an indoor range. i love shooting my long guns but i wouldnt waste my time and expensive ammo to shoot 223/556 or 308 indoors. It just doesnt make sense to me, outside of a quick sight in and function check.

I asked the RO to move the guy with the AR down to the end port . The concussion in doors is a little much .

I shoot out doors in the winter. Dress properly and its no big deal .

Other than confirming correct usage of reloading materials / function-fire testing, rifles aren't really enjoyable inside.......it really doesn't matter if you build a better mouse trap.  You're still gonna hear that noise.  I doubt you'd see a 10 db decrease even with some expensive new wall attachment.

Do yourself a favor and get a membership at an outdoor range.  Newbies LOVE fresh air and the lower noise levels.  Once they get used to some noise and are familiar with the platform, THEN take them inside.  To start-out inside next to carbine rifle fire is just asking for trouble, especially if you're instructing how to hold, load, make safe, etc., since the Newbie can't hear a fricken word you're saying!

Howard has a good idea.  Take a Newbie to a range that doesn't allow rifles inside.  You can hear yourself THINK in that kind of place too!

Just my 2 cents....

Maybe you should go to the other indoor range in the area that has one range that is for handguns only :)

You get brass kicked at you even from handguns when people stand far forward.  Most people are nice and are happy to step back when you point it out, but some are real ass-holes about this and just say too bad.

this...

I know i would certainly adjust stance if somebody was having a hard time next to me and they thought that would correct the problem, but no way in hell am I going to drive an extra 45 minutes to shoot outdoors myself when I am a member somewhere 20 minutes away just because my rifle is loud inside. Especially if meeting friends at BA

If I hear a big boom I get excited and want to go see what it was :)

Actually I have a seconds set of earmuffs if it's really bad

this also, I do the same thing,  my interest is peeked when I here something that makes a loud bang

Other than confirming correct usage of reloading materials / function-fire testing, rifles aren't really enjoyable inside.......it really doesn't matter if you build a better mouse trap.  You're still gonna hear that noise.  I doubt you'd see a 10 db decrease even with some expensive new wall attachment.

Do yourself a favor and get a membership at an outdoor range.  Newbies LOVE fresh air and the lower noise levels.  Once they get used to some noise and are familiar with the platform, THEN take them inside.  To start-out inside next to carbine rifle fire is just asking for trouble, especially if you're instructing how to hold, load, make safe, etc., since the Newbie can't hear a fricken word you're saying!

Howard has a good idea.  Take a Newbie to a range that doesn't allow rifles inside.  You can hear yourself THINK in that kind of place too!

Just my 2 cents....

for me I enjoy every rifle anywhere, inside or outside. Shoot 7.62 indoors all the time and the range allows it so why limit myself

This thread is VERY interesting because the thought had never occured to me. I guess my mistake was assuming that NOBODY cared about the noise. Now if I ever decide to take a new shooter out i'll be mindful of this and probably go to range 14 instead. good thread

Someone in the port next to me Saturday morning was shooting something that blew my hat off and made my fillings hurt. I thought it was awesome and wanted to see what it was lol The smell of gas out of that thing..I want one ! :)

But yes , it can be very scary for a new person not to mention even if they are not scared it is concentration breaking at the very least. Hard to hear instructions over it if they are really letting fly .

If you have someone new with you , I would think if port availabilty allows any RO would try to be accommodation by bookending you with handgun users. I usually tell first timers ahead of time that they may experience loud blast and percussion if someone has an AR :)

I honestly dont get the shooting rifles in an indoor range. i love shooting my long guns but i wouldnt waste my time and expensive ammo to shoot 223/556 or 308 indoors. It just doesnt make sense to me, outside of a quick sight in and function check.

I asked the RO to move the guy with the AR down to the end port . The concussion in doors is a little much .

I shoot out doors in the winter. Dress properly and its no big deal .

100% agreed.  An AR has no business being fired indoors unless it is in anger.

for me I enjoy every rifle anywhere, inside or outside. Shoot 7.62 indoors all the time and the range allows it so why limit myself

Utterly ridiculous!!!

Just another reason NOT to go to public ranges. :)

Shore Shot does not allow it, plus you have to buy their frangible ammo for rifles. Brick Armory does allow just about anything.

I dont see the point of shooting 7.62 at 25 yards. its not doing anything other than making a lot of noise and wasting ammo IMHO.

I have no problem with pistol caliber carbines indoors, That makes sense,since i would definitely use one for home defense as opposed to 223 or 308. Althoigh clearly if i was in a jam any caliber is better than no caliber

The 7.62 is being shot at 25 yards simply because thats where I am a member and its an AR set up for close range at the moment. Also cheap ammo which is awesome

Curious, since we are talking about loud bangs at indoor ranges, How do you guys feel about shotguns indoors?

I had to shoot my AR inside one time at SS and I felt terrible for the people around me. I went to each port and told them what was about to happen and to double plug if they wanted to. I shot it a few times to check a new BCG and that was it. Shooting a rifle at 25yds doesn't make for much fun!!

Im not crazy about that either. I do see a reason for it though if its for HD. However i can shoot 25 yards at cherry ridge if i want to. Again the only reason i see for firing sg indoors is self defense or a function check . If I was into rifles(which i clearly am) I would have opted for the outdoor range (which i did) . I also belong to an in door range but just for hand gun and pistol caliber carbine.

What exactly are you gaining by shooting 223 or 308 at 25 yards? Unless you are special forces or swat. I cant imagine it would be your go to weapon in a HD situation.

To each his own ..

I had to shoot my AR inside one time at SS and I felt terrible for the people around me. I went to each port and told them what was about to happen and to double plug if they wanted to. I shot it a few times to check a new BCG and that was it. Shooting a rifle at 25yds doesn't make for much fun!!

But shooting one at 300 yards is FUN And challenging ! which is the point isn't it?!?!

Im not crazy about that either. I do see a reason for it though if its for HD. However i can shoot 25 yards at cherry ridge if i want to. Again the only reason i see for firing sg indoors is self defense or a function check . If I was into rifles(which i clearly am) I would have opted for the outdoor range (which i did) . I also belong to an in door range but just for hand gun and pistol caliber carbine.

What exactly are you gaining by shooting 223 or 308 at 25 yards? Unless you are special forces or swat. I cant imagine it would be your go to weapon in a HD situation.

To each his own ..

certainly a valid point.  Id have to say its a combination of things for me. I have not yet gotten a membership to an outdoor range , though I do intend to because long range would serve wayyy more of a purpose. I think also because being chambered in  7.62x39 for me its a budget round. When my .22 ships I'll have no reason to shoot the 7.62 anywhere other than outdoors. because that will be more suitable for the indoor range and easier on everyone else around

certainly a valid point.  Id have to say its a combination of things for me. I have not yet gotten a membership to an outdoor range , though I do intend to because long range would serve wayyy more of a purpose. I think also because being chambered in  7.62x39 for me its a budget round. When my .22 ships I'll have no reason to shoot the 7.62 anywhere other than outdoors. because that will be more suitable for the indoor range and easier on everyone else around

sounds like an excellent plan. While a lot of people will bitch about cherry ridge,they do have a 200-300 yard range. personally i have never had a real problem with the place . And i think the dues are reasonable .I do wish they would do USPSA matches though(never happen)

I dunno.
My first time shooting was indoors and there was a guy in the next port shooting 12ga buck/slugs.

Somehow, I lived.

-------

.223 is a home defense caliber. In fact, some people would say the it's the best.

-------

I've had people complain about the bang/flash from my .357s. One guy at Bullet Hole complained to the RO about being next to me and wanted to move. The range was full and so he packed up his 10/22* and left.

*Shooting a scoped .22 rifle indoors at 21 yards (max distance at BH) is even stupider than shooting a centerfire rifle at those distances. At least an AR/AK is a legit CQB weapon.

-------

All of that said. If you think the person will be sensitive to noise, recoil, percussion etc, drive the extra distance and get them outdoors. Maybe even a WMA rimfire range (though there will be some people shooting black powder/slugs in the weeks leading up to deer season).

.... The range was full and so he packed up his 10/22* and left.

*Shooting a scoped .22 rifle indoors at 21 yards (max distance at BH) is even stupider than shooting a centerfire rifle at those distances. ..

Hey!!!!!...

No, it wasn't me.

I want more people to enjoy shooting. And because guns are noisy...  I would very very gladly do something to lessen the report of my firearms... but NJ does not allow me the opportunity to purchase/own suppressors. I blame the government.   :crazy:  :laugh:

Personally I like to shoot just about anything, anywhere I'm safely and legally allowed. Indoors and out. I just enjoy shooting. Does that make me a bad person?  :vava:

I'm sorry that it's loud. Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast. Firearms are loud. (Even the "lowly" .22LR can damage your hearing.)

However, I try to be very considerate of those surrounding me if I'm at an indoor range. I want them to enjoy their time at the range just like I'm enjoying mine. I try to go in the middle of the week when no one is around. (One perk of "working from home".) I'll move away from others if I have the chance to get some separation. And I'll usually put away the "big scary loud guns" if I can't move and I see people are getting uncomfortable. Everyone can get along with a little bit of common sense and courtesy. (2 things which I fear are falling farther and farther by the wayside in this day and age... but that for a different discussion.)

Agreed, but it's the spent brass ejecting into my face from those ports that bugs me the most. Sometime the ROs ask to step back a few feet in the port. Rather than an extension, I think some sort of removable rail in the port to keep shooters from pushing forward would be an ideal solution.

I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that.  Good to hear getting brass in the face bothers others as well.

Recently, I was at GFH with a couple of shotguns.  I asked the RO if he would like to put me away from the handful of other shooters, who all had handguns.  He laughed, and said to me, "Hey, this is a shooting range, not a library!"

My wife and I had the brass over the wall problem this Sunday at RTSP. The guy next to us was shooting a Glock 22 which was ejecting the spent shells almost vertically. I never saw that before. They were not hitting the wall but would hit the ceiling and come down in our port. It threw off my wife's concentration but it could not be helped it was just the way his Glock was. He had a Beretta and a .22 that didn't send one shell over.

When the shells first started coming over the wall before I saw his gun I was thinking he had a WW2 era Luger. That's the only handgun that I know of that ejects out of the top. Was kind of bummed it was just a Glock.

Great dialogue on here. One point I want to clarify its not just about decibel noise. Yes a shotgun is loud but THE SHOTGUN CONCUSSUON IS NOT DIRECTED SIDEWAYS TO A GUY 12 INCHES NEXT TO YOU.

My point is is the muzzle brake specifically not just noise. The blast of the air is specifically what the new shooter cringed at. I agree that an extension would not make a DB difference but it would make a physical difference

(Capitalized was not for anger, just emphasis of the message of the suggestion)

Great dialogue on here. One point I want to clarify its not just about decibel noise. Yes a shotgun is loud but THE SHOTGUN CONCUSSUON IS NOT DIRECTED SIDEWAYS TO A GUY 12 INCHES NEXT TO YOU.

My point is is the muzzle brake specifically not just noise. The blast of the air is specifically what the new shooter cringed at. I agree that an extension would not make a DB difference but it would make a physical difference

(Capitalized was not for anger, just emphasis of the message of the suggestion)

That was actually a useful clarification. Thanks.

And I know that blast. First time I felt it, I thought "wtf is that!"

I think outdoors is def. the best bet for new shooters.

Or for shooting, period. It's just a way better experience.

That was actually a useful clarification. Thanks.

And I know that blast. First time I felt it, I thought "wtf is that!"

I think outdoors is def. the best bet for new shooters.

Or for shooting, period. It's just a way better experience.

Yep. I was speaking about the muzzle blast/concussion. the noise does not bother me. But when you are shooting next to someone shooting shotguns or rifles inside

It can be a little much, for me anyway. .. If the range allows it then it is what it is and i deal with it. I wouldnt want anyone to be denied the pleasure of shooting.

I joined RTSP last week and only because its 2 miles from my house. Otherwise i would not have done it. So now i have 2 range memberships, for now.

The only time I fire a center fire Rifle indoors is to check function after a build or modification, with a few rounds. After that it goes back in the bag. I bought a GSG 522, that I will use indoors its quiet and fun to shoot with open sights at 25 yards. I belong to the same range and i prefer to be in the new side for handguns. I agree no point in shooting an AR indoors at 25 yards for accuracy. waste of time and money.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Oneshot, I hope we can endear ourselves to you and become more of a benefit than just the distance. lol As far as the noise levels, we specifically designed Range 2 to be handgun only for just that reason.  We found that shooters in general have a much better experience in a range where rifles and shotguns are not blaring next to them.  

Brucin, we are working on installing bullet shields to go above the standard black walls.  Sorry for the inconvenience.