Polak

USPS is getting worse and worse

USPS has always been good to me. I don't get the updates like ups FedEx offers, but I always get my packages in good time. Most of my amazon orders are fulfilled by USPS at some point. I have had terrible experience with UPS especially, but thank god their tracking works great.

The issue i have had with USPS since they took over part of amazon shipping is they are not meeting the two day delivery period I should get woth my amazon prime membership. Sometimes they do but a fair amount of the time it is three or four days that and the tracking sucks.

The issue i have had with USPS since they took over part of amazon shipping is they are not meeting the two day delivery period I should get woth my amazon prime membership. Sometimes they do but a fair amount of the time it is three or four days that and the tracking sucks.

have you contacted amazon? They are typically helpful. Document your orders and when it's time to renew ask for a refund on your membership.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/us/postal-service-trims-its-losses.html?_r=0

The USPS is ridiculous.  How can you say "I only lost 5 Billion this year". 

Imagine if government in general (and btw USPS is run by the govt, dont be fooled) ran itself by the very ideas and responsibilities that we all here in the real world have to live by. But alas, we are left with a money grubbing, corruption infested, self replicating entity that can't find themselves in the dark with two hands and a flashlight..... :)

well what do you guys expect when the only govt agency that makes money has said money taken away to fund other money pits. the USPS had a huge surplus until congress decided that the money needed to be spent on other things and just kept taking and taking. its a damn shame because they used to provide a great service at a great price. now that their money and funding is gone they just suck at everything. just like the rest of the government.

Sounds just like the Social Security program

I am never one to say anything nice about the USPS but I had packages coming from all three yesterday and the only one that made it was from USPS, the other two had to reschedule for today.

Now I have had many problems with my mailman and every time I have complained it gets worse, I have seen him throw boxes at the base of my mailbox and drive away and if he needs a signature he puts a card in my box and waits until I sign it and put it back in my box. This man will not get out of his truck to do his job.

And did you know for safety reason they do not have to back up? If you mailbox is blocked or they can't get to it by pulling straight in, you don't get your mail.

I've complained numerous times with delivery agents, but that sob would get a punch in the mouth if he refused to comply. Fook em.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Geez

@Porthole.... You read me right. My father-in-law is a retired mailman for over 36 years. So I have insight...

But! When you constantly get soggy mail, late or no deliveries due to laziness and the Mailman doesn't care, Postmaster doesn't care, Postmaster General doesn't care, a swift smack in the jaw may be all that's left. Some of the people I had years ago were great. But today, my delivery person varies from everyone. Part timers one day to the shop stewart another day, (and he's a great guy including fellow biker).... But bottom line, most are lazy mofos. And that's just the PO... UPS are the next biggest dicks. Big enough were I wrote a certified letter to the head ceo. This one guy was miserable. So much, that everyone at his depot hated him and his supervisor did not have the balls to can him.

Like anything else, you hate your job, just leave. Don't punish the innocent that make your job possible. Fedex has prob been the best so far. Minimal to no probs.

Well. Update.

Got my package today 1/23 (it said delivered two days ago 1/21). Mail came before 4 pm.

I didn't complain to anyone, I didn't see a mailman to talk to, it just magically showed up with the mail. Must have been a different person.

The good news is I got my timney trigger. I'm still distrusting USPS.

have you contacted amazon? They are typically helpful. Document your orders and when it's time to renew ask for a refund on your membership.

Agree with this. Usually, I hope that I have a few orders throughout the year that miss the guaranteed 2-day shipping. If so, contact Amazon and they'll extend your Prime membership for a month, at least.

Threatening violence in a open forum is always such a smart idea. Oh wait .. no its the other one isn't it?

There was no threat. I told them to their faces. It was a promise. No matter. They are gone. One was demoted, the other transfered. I don't screw around. :)

PS: move this to the litterbox or mo area. ;)

For us the best was last year we went to Florida and I used USPS.com to stop the mail. My neighbor called me on the first day we on vacation and said the mail was still being delivered.  I called the PO that day (from Georgia) via a 800 number and the woman I spoke to said she was sorry and she would correct the issue. The mail never stopped and my neighbor retrieved our mail for the entire time we were in Florida, good thing for great neighbors! When we go back home I asked the actual carrier and he said they were never notified of my web request to stop the mail. He said if I need to do it again just let him know.  What an azz backward operation.  Look at it this way, the PO could be a preview of how Obama Care will operate.

I always do the hold on line (several times a year) and never had a problem except that on a few occasions they did not restart my delivery.

I never have any issues with the usps. Never!

My carrier and postmaster do me favors all the time. They know exactly who I am and where I live. I tip my mailman every year because I appreciate the work he does.

Maybe you guys need to dig a little.

I never have any issues with the usps. Never!

My carrier and postmaster do me favors all the time. They know exactly who I am and where I live. I tip my mailman every year because I appreciate the work he does.

Maybe you guys need to dig a little.

I use to take care of all my carriers. But cannot anymore because nobody is steady like years ago. Hell, even took care of the garbage crew. I rarely see the same faces. If my carriers were the same like yester-year, I would. But to give anything to someone you see every so often that does crap work? Et-eh... That's what lazy people consider entitlement.

My wife and I have an part time internet business.  We ship about 1500 packages a year - 85% by USPS.

We have seen a change in delivery times in the last 3 or 4 months.  Almost all of our USPS shipping is by "priority mail".  

• Packages used to take 1-3 days within the 48 states.  We now see a lot of packages taking 5-6 days.
  • We're getting a lot of emails from customers saying they never received packages that are marked as delivered - they arrive a day or two after their supposed delivery date.
  • We're seeing a lot of packages sitting for several days at the hubs in Philly and Chicago - other hubs seem to be fine.
  • We're also seeing packages sitting at our local post office for an extra day or two that used to go out the day we dropped them off.

I'm telling ya, they suck! About a month ago, we had this temp husky black chick. I was tracking a package that was suppose to be delivered that day I needed for a project. Caught her walking back to her truck to drive to the next street. I asked politely if she had a package for me. She said no. I asked her to please check again. Low and behold, she dug it out within seconds and waddled back across the street with it. I said many thanks and she gave me a dirty look as if to say, you made me walk here again? Year or so again, I had 2 packages that went mia for a few days that were tracked for delivery. Met the driver at the truck. Made her dig through her truck. Low and behold she says, wow, didn't even know they were there. Now tell me, shouldn't I be pist with the crap service while I watch them get lazier as postage prices increase?

My wife and I have an part time internet business.  We ship about 1500 packages a year - 85% by USPS.

We have seen a change in delivery times in the last 3 or 4 months.  Almost all of our USPS shipping is by "priority mail".  

• Packages used to take 1-3 days within the 48 states.  We now see a lot of packages taking 5-6 days.
  • We're getting a lot of emails from customers saying they never received packages that are marked as delivered - they arrive a day or two after their supposed delivery date.
  • We're seeing a lot of packages sitting for several days at the hubs in Philly and Chicago - other hubs seem to be fine.
  • We're also seeing packages sitting at our local post office for an extra day or two that used to go out the day we dropped them off.

This seems to be about the time they took on the Amazon sunday delivery. I think they took on too much and now the whole system is suffering.

ironic. I was just reading the posts in here again and my neighbor comes over with my mail. he lives 3 houses down and he got my mail. I went in to my box and i have the mail from the guy across the street. Same mail man for the past 4 years. Awesome... just awesome!

Here we go again. This is getting rediculous. Someone was home at the time and they did it again.

8:14 pm

Delivery exception

Customer not available or business closed - Please contact local Post Office to pick up or reschedule delivery

We have terrific mail in Newton. Pretty much next-day first-class letter service between here and most of NJ. Maybe because we're the county seat, and the lawyers have to get their stuff out (although they probably all use Fedex). 

Since USPS's collaboration with Fedex (or maybe UPS), we get packages delivered on Sunday. Several weeks ago I ordered something from Amazon on Saturday, it arrived on Sunday, delivered by USPS.

In my opinion USPS is one of the great bargains of the federal government. 

I used to have great service. I'd have mail and packages in my mailbox by 2 pm the latest. Nothing was ever lost or marked as delivered. I miss that. Service has declined greatly in my area. I believe is the mailmen themselves that made it the way it is.

I work for USPS as a Rural Carrier Associate.  I'm essentially a subsitute carrier that can fill in for the regular carrier when they are sick, go on vacation etc.  I'm not here to defend the USPS at all.  The volume of mail lately has been insane. My route has 550 families, roughly about 450 stops.

One day I worked last week:

I came in at 8AM(the earliest we're allowed to start because that is when the final truck of mail arrives at the post office), sorted mail- we have to take the mail and put it in order of the route.  Some does come in "sorted", but so much mail comes in unsorted that it makes sense to just put it up into our "case"(metal box that we organize the mail according to the route in) so it takes us less time on the street trying to deliver from two trays rather then one.  With two it gets confusing since one tray will have you stopping at every house and the other won't...it's tough for simple minded people like me to keep this organized.  Then add in trays of advertisements that have to go to every house(and are addressed like Red Plum advertisements) and it becomes a three ring circus in the truck pretty quickly.

This particular day, I had 8 trays(about 2ft long) full of "sorted"(called DPS or Delivery Point Sequence) mail.  The reason why I'm using quotations around sorted is because more often then not some stuff is out of order, or not for my route, or sometimes not even for our state.  Most magazines, newspapers, and other bigger mail don't come in sorted at all.  Packages aren't sorted at all.  This day, I sorted mail (with no breaks at all- I didn't even have time for lunch) until 2:35 in the afternoon.  Loaded the truck and got out on the road by 2:45. 

I was out delivering the mail till 8:00pm, and still had to bring packages back because I could not find the houses due to it being dark, and people not properly marking their homes with the house number :lol:

And guess what... contrary to what someone said previously in this thread- we DO NOT get overtime as rural carriers.  We get paid the "evaluated time" that the post office says the route "should" take.  My route is evaluated at 7.5 hours.  So even though that day I worked 12 hours, I only get paid for 7.5 hours.  So be happy...you got 4.5 hours of free mail delivery out of me.  And for someone who might just think I'm slow at doing the job- the regular carrier who has been working that route for 15 years is averaging 10 hours per day.

They seem to do the evaluations when mail is very light, and short us on things like package delivery for example:

They only give us 30 seconds to deliver a package.  With the amount of mail, and packages in the back of the truck, it takes me on average at least a minute to a minute and a half just to find the package.  Multiply this by 50-100 packages and the time adds up, big time. Around Christmas time I had up to 300 packages one day.  I'd say roughly 1/2 of all of the packages do not fit into mail boxes, so I have to find the house(or apartment which is a PITA), scan the package, walk/drive to it, and deliver the package.  Wrap it in a trash bag if it's raining.  Then use the scanner and mark it as delivered. 

Lets not even get into the signature required packages, or certified letters where I essentially have to fill out paperwork for each one, and then wait for people to come to do the door, and get them to sign for it. 

Some carriers have easy routes, and were back in the office, and heading home by noon...so the routes aren't exactly divided up fairly, but I'm sure their route evaluation is a lot shorter than mine(theirs is probably 4.5-5 hours or so). 

Here is a picture of the back of my mail truck after it was loaded.  14 trays of mail to deliver, and probably about 45 packages(the 6 buckets are loaded with smaller packages).

DD2D8D29-6150-4606-8657-34A532BA9200_zps

I had from 2:45 till 5:59 to deliver all of this, according to the postmaster/supervisor.  That is when the outgoing mail truck leaves.  Quite impossible. 

So before you blame the carrier... think about it-  We work for 12 hours, get no breaks, and only get paid for 7.5 hours.  Us subsitute carriers don't receive any medical/vision/dental benefits either. 

I've always had decent postal service. I can't remember suspecting I had a piece of mail lost in the past 20 years.

As for the union, they did save the lives of hundreds of people during the Anthrax attacks. They stood up against everybody - the media, the government, everybody and got the truth out.

So, it's probably a mixed bag. Certainly sounds like they don't have a proper system of accountability and Quality Assurance from some of these reports.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/us/postal-service-trims-its-losses.html?_r=0

The USPS is ridiculous.  How can you say "I only lost 5 Billion this year". 

Imagine if government in general (and btw USPS is run by the govt, dont be fooled) ran itself by the very ideas and responsibilities that we all here in the real world have to live by. But alas, we are left with a money grubbing, corruption infested, self replicating entity that can't find themselves in the dark with two hands and a flashlight..... :)

You're looking at this like most critics, but you're wrong. On this topic I must part ways with my conservative/libertarian brethren.

USPS actually delivers a damn good service with no down side. You slap a 45-cent stamp on an envelope and somebody delivers it the next day, or in a few days. Same with packages. Nobody gets killed or blown to bits, nobody is jailed for draining a swamp or for putting cotton night clothes on their kids. Nobody is forced to take drug addicts and prostitutes into their communities for the sake of some social program.

At least with USPS, you get what you pay for.

I could make the same argument for Amtrak, another conservative target. Yes it loses money. So does Rte. 80. So do most of the toll roads. Railroads are infrastructure. So we want a rail system similar to that of...Zimbabwe? 

Funny, they gripe about the post office deficit of $15 billion and Amtrak's loss of several billion. But $718 billion for the "defense" department, which mostly defends ungrateful countries abroad, is ok. And we can't find a nickel to cut.

Does any other government agency "make money"?? What was the return from DOD last year? DOE? EPA? 

Oscar Wilde described a cynic as someone who "knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

You're looking at this like most critics, but you're wrong. On this topic I must part ways with my conservative/libertarian brethren.

I kinda thought I was conservative/libertarian. I said I thought they do a good job. They are authorized by the Constitution. What is the problem?

But $718 billion for the "defense" department, which mostly defends ungrateful countries abroad, is ok. And we can't find a nickel to cut.

Does any other government agency "make money"?? What was the return from DOD last year? DOE? EPA?

DOD and EPA are funding by tax dollars, USPS is not.

And if I were in charge, the entire US military would be mothballed. So, Yes, I could find a dime to cut.

I kinda thought I was conservative/libertarian. I said I thought they do a good job. They are authorized by the Constitution. What is the problem?

DOD and EPA are funding by tax dollars, USPS is not.

And if I were in charge, the entire US military would be mothballed. So, Yes, I could find a dime to cut.

I was quoting TMPNJ, not you, Phosgene. 

But as long as I have your attention: The actual difference between how USPS and, say, DOD are funded is smaller than a mosquito's brain. As far as I know the post office is bailed out occasionally (as is Amtrak). For once, a bailout that actually serves a constitutionally prescribed function, and one that actually delivers! Imagine that. It's all fake of course, because USPS and the federal gov't are so inextricably entwined, they are like Marion Barry and his favorite crack pipe.

Another point: I would not mothball the entire US military, but I would rededicate it to real, actual defense of the USA. That should reduce its budget by about half, at least.

Another point: I would not mothball the entire US military, but I would rededicate it to real, actual defense of the USA. That should reduce its budget by about half, at least.

You didn't make a first point :p

But I'll tell you what, we'll reduce it by 90% and you got a deal.

I've always had decent postal service. I can't remember suspecting I had a piece of mail lost in the past 20 years. As for the union, they did save the lives of hundreds of people during the Anthrax attacks. They stood up against everybody - the media, the government, everybody and got the truth out. So, it's probably a mixed bag. Certainly sounds like they don't have a proper system of accountability and Quality Assurance from some of these reports.

But now I will quote you.

USPS is not failing because of inefficiencies. I've had more mixups from those logistics gods Fedex and UPS than from the postal service. There's a recent ammo shipment I should tell you about. 

USPS is failing in part due to the Internet, and the bulk rates it provides businesses, and the dropoff in first-class mail. The Internet is also killing cable TV and print media. 

We've clearly reached the point where one business model is overpowering another, older one. Still, 0.5% of the national budget to assure mail delivery is not too high a price IMO. 

Unless we prefer Mali's postal system.