jds560

Barring hand size or illness, point of (semi)compacts in NJ?

Based on the fact that we can't concealed carry, is there any real reason for owning one in this forsaken state. I mean the purpose of these pocket rockets is concealed carry.. I'm not prejudice towards these small firearms, I think the Nano and SCCY are cool but I just don't see a point in owning them here.

Based on the fact that we can't concealed carry, is there any real reason for owning one in this forsaken state. I mean the purpose of these pocket rockets is concealed carry.. I'm not prejudice towards these small firearms, I think the Nano and SCCY are cool but I just don't see a point in owning them here.

It can be CC'ed in *other* states.

I have an M & P Shield for that purpose.

I actually enjoy shooting small guns. I like a 2 finger grip. I find myself shooting my Nano, Glock 26, LCP, and J frame more than my full size guns. I shoot my Glock 26 better then any other gun I own hands down.

There is no reason not to own compacts, sub compacts, and pocket guns. I hear what you just stated almost every time I walk into a NJ gun store. I always get a good chuckle from that.

Small guns are also more challenging to shoot. So small physically sized and ill people should be looking more towards bigger guns.

I actually found my couins shield easier to shoot than my father beretta 92 ( i tried them both on the same day). The conceal carry in other states argument is a moot point to me since I don't travel domestically, but I can see how it would matter to people going into work in PA every day.

I rarely go to pa but still got the Utah permit. It's on the few occasions that is rather have it then say it's not worth having. Hell the Utah is good for 5 years and cost me 200 to get. That's 40 bucks a year for the comfort of traveling out of state. And it will be cheaper when u go to renew. I carry either my pm9 or LCR. Also I carry my LCR when doing yard work loaded with shot shells for snakes. I can throw it my pocket and I don't need to worry about my neighbors seeing me carry. Not that midst would care.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I own a Sig p238. I didn't buy it though.

See, I had two full-sized 1911s in my safe for a long time, one a .45 the other a 9mm. Nine months later the Sig appeared between the two larger guns.

Seriously, it's easy to pocket carry around the house. There was a home invasion in Green just the other day. 

Also very discrete for out-of-state carry.

I rarely go to pa but still got the Utah permit. It's on the few occasions that is rather have it then say it's not worth having. Hell the Utah is good for 5 years and cost me 200 to get. That's 40 bucks a year for the comfort of traveling out of state. And it will be cheaper when u go to renew. I carry either my pm9 or LCR. Also I carry my LCR when doing yard work loaded with shot shells for snakes. I can throw it my pocket and I don't need to worry about my neighbors seeing me carry. Not that midst would care.Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You mentioned worrying if your neighbors see you carry...but you will discharge in your yard?

Yes and I have fired the shell shot. It's not so much my neighbors but when I'm out front people driving by or kids walking down the street. My one neighbor is actually happy I kill the snakes and she encourages me to kill the groundhogs and moles.

I didn't realize that was allowable .. Either no discharge laws or thought it would be against some wildlife law like the no shooting within 450' of an occupied dwelling .... Living in sj I've always just went hands on with them... Your method definitely would be more fun lol

I didn't realize that was allowable .. Either no discharge laws or thought it would be against some wildlife law like the no shooting within 450' of an occupied dwelling .... Living in sj I've always just went hands on with them... Your method definitely would be more fun lol

I'm not sure about discharge laws in my town but in my area it's common to hear gun shots(not in a bad way either). And as far as the occupied dwelling.... Cool neighbors I guess. I don't do it often enough to piss them off I guess. (Knock on wood.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously, it's easy to pocket carry around the house. There was a home invasion in Green just the other day. 

Also very discrete for out-of-state carry.

If you're a business owner, you can also carry on your work premises. 

This pretty much sums it up.

Maybe some people do what they think they need to do when they think they need to do it, political flatulence comitted to paper not withstanding.

Maybe some people do what they think they need to do when they think they need to do it, political flatulence comitted to paper not withstanding.

Blasphemy! Do not question the rules of our overlords! They are for our own good....lol

Newtonian: Bingo! The compacts are more comfortable to wear around the house on a daily basis.

I sent that NJ Herald story to some friends who couldn't understand why both adults in my house are in Condition 1. That house is 10 minutes from me.

And yes I have fire extinguishers positioned liberally around the house. Preparedness is not just about home invasions.

I should state that I live in Newark so I don't exactly have a back yard, and my house is so small there's no way I could "carry" around it. I don't find it tedious to carry (by hand) my Hi Power from my basement (where I'm typing) to my bedroom. It's still hard for me to justify spending $4-500 for a gun when I can buy something with double to triple the capacity for the same price. 

How do you define compact? My go to pistol is my G19, which is defined as a compact, but I don't really view that as a true compact pistol. I can obtain a full firing grip on it, and I shoot it just as well as I do a G17.

Aside from the fact that it conceals slightly better than the G17, another factor leading me to the G19 instead of the 17 is mag capacity. In this sad state of ours, the G19 actually holds more rounds than the G17. I can get the 15 round mags for the G19 legally, but cannot get the 17 round G17 mags. Since they make no 15 round mags for the G17, if you shoot that pistol, you are stuck with the 10 rounders.

You live in a small house, but say there was some type of disturbance around the corner and the bad guys were in the neighborhood.  I wouldnt mind having my pistol on me at that point in time.  Much easier to stick a compact/SC in a holser than carrying around a full size heavy gun.   So even if you have a small house/no yar, what does that have to do with carrying around the house?

I for one have a yard.  Now I dont carry on an every-day bassis but its nice to have something small to carry if need be.  If its around the yard, or in an emergency outside of the house.  I also have a FL CCW so i can carry in other states...

I damn sure had my M&P Shield on me after hurr Sandy!

On another note of having a small pistol for home carry.... If you buy a bg380, pm9, lcr, hell even an sr22. I can have them in my back or front pocket concealed if there is a knock at the door. If it's ups, fed ex or anyone I have to interact with the pistol stays put and they are none the wiser. If it's someone I don't know, they don't know. I'm not some crazy guy who answers his door packing heat

On another note of having a small pistol for home carry.... If you buy a bg380, pm9, lcr, hell even an sr22. I can have them in my back or front pocket concealed if there is a knock at the door. If it's ups, fed ex or anyone I have to interact with the pistol stays put and they are none the wiser. If it's someone I don't know, they don't know. I'm not some crazy guy who answers his door packing heat

Well you are, just not visibly ;P

Good point though.  OP, if you had to answer the door but wanted your pistol with you just in case, what would you do now?

Well you are, just not visibly ;P

Good point though. OP, if you had to answer the door but wanted your pistol with you just in case, what would you do now?

awww man, damn! Wait, packing heat or crazy? F it. I'll be both. I like to multitask.