Pizza Bob

Amazon....WTF????

We purchased a new dog collar for our GSP Maggie. It is 1"W x 22"L x .125"T. I expected it to arrive today so went to the front door to check for packages. To Amazon's credit it was their usual quick shipping. Packaging efficiency, though, was something else altogether. After I removed about 20' of those little plastic air-pillows, here's what I found...

692hja.jpg

For scale, those are 8" floor tiles.

Pretty strange.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

We purchased a new dog collar for our GSP Maggie. It is 1"W x 22"L x .125"T. I expected it to arrive today so went to the front door to check for packages. To Amazon's credit it was their usual quick shipping. Packaging efficiency, though, was something else altogether. After I removed about 20' of those little plastic air-pillows, here's what I found...

692hja.jpg

Pretty strange.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think they do allow you to leave "packaging feedback" where you can tell them it was "too big."  Usually, it's "just right" with my shipments, but sometimes, they also come "without air bags or bubble wrap, and the sides get damaged).

Sportsman's Guide packaging is awesome.

Always a bigger box than is necessary and

instead of air bags, bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts, they use one long sheet of bunched up, thick paper about 2' wide that's perfect for making your own targets.

This one was 7.5' long, used to package two 25 rounds boxes of sd ammo.

VQU0ebH.jpg

yea ive been ordering stuff from amazon recently and noticed that some of their stuff is packed retardedly...  its ok tho because my mom uses the boxes to ship stuff her husband makes and sells on etsy.

And, if the boxes are big enough, when flattened, they make good target backings. :D

692hja.jpg

Pretty strange.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

These are the same hypocrites who want to save the planet by reducing everyone's carbon footprint. Everyone's but theirs. 

I bet it's decided by a computer that picked the box size based on the 22" length. The packer probably has no override authority.

The packer makes minimum wage and doesn't give a crap. Proving once again that you get what you pay for.

Sometimes if everything is kept the same, ie. same box for every shipment, logistics go smoother. Less time for the labeler to enter the box size, no need for the packer to pick the right size box, the box supplier will give better rates on higher quantities, etc.

692hja.jpg

Pretty strange.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think your picture sums up why exactly. They have dimensions on the item which are probably LxWXH exactly as you laid it out, and the computer selected a box that can contain the longest dimension. IT doesn't know it is flexible. SO yeah, if you get the packaging survey email on this, fill it out, it will likely prevent this in the future. 

No complaint from me about amazon. I ordered two pair of ear protection on Saturday morning and they were shipped from KY and were delivered on Sunday afternoon. Good job by them and the post office, and it's rare that I complement the P.O.

And the box was the right size.

Your Post Office delivers on Sunday?

Just Amazon stuff. They cut a deal with the USPO for Sunday Delivery. Perhaps, as part of "Prime."

'Matter of fact I got an Amazon Prime shipment from them yesterday as well. :)