D. Stallone

Does anyone carry even though it's illegal?

Lets get real folks. I know quite a few people who carry. They are not criminals. (They are only law breakers because they carry.) They are also friends of mine. If you feel that you or your family might be in a dangerous situation, I see no problem carrying even if it against the law. You know how the saying goes. 12 or 6?

I've been tempted in some tight situations.  I don't live in the best neighborhood (read:one of the worst in NJ) and there are wanna-be thugs hanging out on the streets by me quite often at night, sometimes waiting for people to try getting to their cars.  

The times that I've had issues with them, I get a whole new fury towards the carry laws.  Seeing criminals walking around with their weapons freely while I abide by the law, to be left defenseless.... I question whether or not it's all that logical.  Jail time isn't an option for me but a shot knee cap, spinal column or spleen would be worse....

I still wouldn't do it though. 

Its only "legal" to carry without a CCW in NJ if you reside in Newark, Trenton, Camden, Irvington, and a few other crime ridden bastions of the Demotards.  If caught there you get a lollipop, if caught in the rest of the state I believe you get two years of free room, board, and healthcare. :)

I guess that obviously nobody carries illegally.

I also guess nobody makes a stop at Walmart en route from the range home, nobody drives with a full trunk of handguns from one store to another, especially with a brick of HP 22s.

I am also absolutely sure nobody has 30 round mags for AR ditched somewhere and everyone has their muzzle brakes pinned and well welded.

Something like that

Or they just don't tell anyone... especially online :))

I guess that obviously nobody carries illegally.

I also guess nobody makes a stop at Walmart en route from the range home, nobody drives with a full trunk of handguns from one store to another, especially with a brick of HP 22s.

I am also absolutely sure nobody has 30 round mags for AR ditched somewhere and everyone has their muzzle brakes pinned and well welded.

Something like that

Or they just don't tell anyone... especially online :))

First rule of Fight Club....... 

Lets get real folks. I know quite a few people who carry. They are not criminals. (They are only law breakers because they carry.) They are also friends of mine. If you feel that you or your family might be in a dangerous situation, I see no problem carrying even if it against the law. You know how the saying goes. 12 or 6?

no argument here.  

how many of those people are going to come to the forum and openly declare they carry though.  

When I delivered pizzas (mannnnnnyyyyy years ago) I never carried illegally....and a police officer that I delivered to didn't give me an IWB holster because a shoulder holster was obvious under a jacket in July.

You deserve a round of applause for your strict adherence to laws of our great state.

According to the latest federal court cases you have a legal right to carry based on the second amendment, the fact that it will take years before the people who enforce and write nj law will accept this is our sad reality. Constitutional carry is the method of protecting you and your family, of course you are completely screwed if you get caught, no doubt about that. The guy who writes reviews on Gunblast has stated he carried for years before it became legal, something about his family being important and such.

this... 

there are definitely upstanding good people that are otherwise law abiding citizens.. that do carry in certain situations in NJ... 

I'm sure the mindset is playing the odds... they probably feel that it is extremely unlikely that they will ever even interact with police... and if they do.., it is far less likely that they will be patted down... and given a certain set of circumstances there is more value to them in having a gun available to them.. and still be alive... VS the unlikely risk of getting "caught" 

I've carried well concealed handguns and longuns (and even loaded them with hollow points, oh noes!!) a lot.

Of course, I've only done so going to/from a range. The concealment was in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, AND locked in the trunk of the automobile in which they were being transported.

Ammunition was in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it wa s being transported. And the loading was only done once I was at the range.

That counts, right?

My father carried every day for many many years.  He died in 1997 so I don't think he'll go to jail over my mentioning it.

He would say "I'm xx years old.  I managed to survive fighting in WWII.  I'm too old to fight now.  I'll be damned if some punk is gonna get the best of me in the parking lot at the mall, or anywhere else.  I've also managed to live my whole life without ever being searched by the police.  If my luck runs out now, so be it.  If I get caught, I'll deal with it.  My safety is too important to leave to chance, and the hope that bad guys won't be bad to me"

My father carried every day for many many years.  He died in 1997 so I don't think he'll go to jail over my mentioning it.

He would say "I'm xx years old.  I managed to survive fighting in WWII.  I'm too old to fight now.  I'll be damned if some punk is gonna get the best of me in the parking lot at the mall, or anywhere else.  I've also managed to live my whole life without ever being searched by the police.  If my luck runs out now, so be it.  If I get caught, I'll deal with it.  My safety is too important to leave to chance, and the hope that bad guys won't be bad to me"

God bless him. Sounds like Clint in Gran Torino.

Back in the days of my youthful indiscretion, I did illegal things transporting, storing and carrying guns in NJ that would turn your hair white. It was no one's business but mine. No one ever knew, no one was ever harmed.

I expect in any given day that I break 5-10 laws. Some day I will fully adopt your dad's philosophy. They can't arrest us all.

I do not know the wisdom of becoming a member of a group for which we arm ourselves against; criminals. How can I say it is OK to break the law to protect my family against a yet to be encountered threat and then condemn the man who robs my house to feed his starving children. Sure, he had other choices but so do I and I took advantage of that choice rather than join the criminal ranks, and moved out of NJ. Lo and behold, there are jobs and good schools outside of NJ and even a better life. Family is just an hour and a half away by plane.

I would think that the odds are much greater of going to prison for illegally carrying a gun than actually having to need one. Most people do not even know anyone who had to use a gun to defend their lives. Despite the fear mongering of the gun industry to increase their profits, life is not as dangerous as they would like us to believe. I carry a gun because I legally can. I moved so that I could legally carry a gun. My future is not in jeopardy by carrying a gun as it would have been in NJ. However, we all have to do what we have to do to feel safe.

The only problem with that is that if caught, there are extremely severe penalties. 

And all it takes is one traffic stop gone wrong, or worse yet, a DGU. 

OK what are the penalties for an otherwise upstanding citizen who gets caught with a loaded pistol in his vehicle. Serious question