I'm in need of coping mechanism advice. I want to see how you guys deal with seeing a firearm that you really want but just can't have yet.

A rifle came up for sale on here just the other day and it is exactly what I want. The rifle the aftermarket barrel profile, cut and length. All there for the taking but I have no money exchange so that I could take it.

So, how do you all deal with this dilemma?

KCCO

Learn how to save money and how to be patient.  I was in a heap of financial suck for almost five years and had to do without many many things until my situation changed.  Now that my situation has changed I put cash aside, when I can, for my hobbies.  Now when I see something I want, I can get it and pay for it in full with cash.  I cut up my credit cards a long time ago.

I'm in need of coping mechanism advice. I want to see how you guys deal with seeing a firearm that you really want but just can't have yet.

A rifle came up for sale on here just the other day and it is exactly what I want. The rifle the aftermarket barrel profile, cut and length. All there for the taking but I have no money exchange so that I could take it.

So, how do you all deal with this dilemma?

KCCO

What's the dilemma? You have the scratch to buy it or you don't.

If you don't, get another job and save up the cash you need to buy what you want. Or realize you can't afford it and drive on.

Children whine about what they can't have. Adults work harder, or get over it.

There is no coping mechanism. There is maturity, responsibility, and a work ethic.

I made a decision when I began in this hobby that all of my purchases would be bought and paid for - no credit, all cash.  That has served me well so far.

There are other mechanisms available when you see something.  For instance, I have done payment plans before.

HE had it right, it is called being an adult. If you can't afford something you don't buy it.

I made a decision when I began in this hobby that all of my purchases would be bought and paid for - no credit, all cash. That has served me well so far.

There are other mechanisms available when you see something. For instance, I have done payment plans before.

This and this. Save up for what you want and pay cash for it when you have the alotted amount saved. It would be silly to put a toy on a credit card and then have to pay interest on it until you pay it off.

We all have things we want but cant afford. I want my neighbors R8 but I know I cant afford one so I dont waste time trying to figure out if I should buy it.

It does make me think about how to make more $ so that eventually I can afford one though. Damn its a sexy car lol.

I used to buy and hide from my wife until I got caught.  Luckily my wife is a better person than I and eventually forgave me.  Now, I just suffer and watch a bunch of youtube videos about the gun I want, that helps a little.  I have been hurtin' for a P30LS for the since it first came out.

You only buy what you can afford.

To make it easier, keep inundated there's what sets off your gear lust right now, and what you really want long term. Also, unless you are dealing in the really rare stuff, gun stuff is all commodity. It'll be there later, at worst at a small premium.

Children whine about what they can't have. Adults work harder, or get over it.

There is no coping mechanism. There is maturity, responsibility, and a work ethic.

Let me get you a ladder for you high horse.

I made a decision when I began in this hobby that all of my purchases would be bought and paid for - no credit, all cash.  That has served me well so far.

This is constructive. And is my system for my purchases.

HE had it right, it is called being an adult. If you can't afford something you don't buy it.

I'll bring the ladder to you next.

Look guys. I started this with the intention of some laughs. Not being scolded. This was to hear some funny and possibly made up silliness about how you keep that "toy" out of your mind until you have the money. Humor is a mature coping mechanism. That was what was supposed to happen here. Oh, well.

KCCO

Look guys. I started this with the intention of some laughs. Not being scolded. This was to hear some funny and possibly made up silliness about how you keep that "toy" out of your mind until you have the money. Humor is a mature coping mechanism. That was what was supposed to happen here. Oh, well.

KCCO

Maybe use emoticons? I didn't get the humor in it either. That is the problem with the written word. No facial cues or voice inflection to give away your intent. 

Nothing about your original post indicated any attempt at humor, and apparently not just for me. Perhaps next time you should mention that.

Point taken. Still doesn't t mean to insult people and call them children. Didn't see that in the original post either.

KCCO

Ok, my final solution to your problem and this one ain't broke.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

So let me get this right..... You post on the interwebs soliciting advice on how to cope with not getting what you want, then get butt-hurt because you thought the answers were mean and it's our fault because we couldn't read your mind to divine that you were being humorous? Laaaame

My post was not an attack, if you took it personally that is on you. You requested my "coping mechanism" and that's what I gave you. I tell myself there is no sense obsessing over something I can't afford, that I am an adult and not a child with no control over my emotions. I then determine if it is worth working more and seeing my family less in order to afford it.

You want fiscal advice here ya go:

If I want something that is expensive and is just for me and not the whole family (new firearm, kayak, training course, climbing gear, surfboard, etc...) I save twice it's cost. I spend half on the item and the other half goes to the joint savings account. The wife never says no and it benefits the whole family as well as me.

Read some bad reviews on it. Usually gets the job done.... OE go shoot something you already have that you haven't shot in a while. Usually makes me forget about a new toy I want out of "lust".

See this is advice.

You want fiscal advice here ya go:

If I want something that is expensive and is just for me and not the whole family (new firearm, kayak, training course, climbing gear, surfboard, etc...) I save twice it's cost. I spend half on the item and the other half goes to the joint savings account. The wife never says no and it benefits the whole family as well as me.

And this is advice. The left out portion is not.

To set aside any more problems or issues from continuing, I want to say that I like your system there of saving up twice and using the other half on the family.

I do it this way...when my wife gets her nails done or spends money on other "just for her" fluff, I put that same amount away in my fun fund. A few $35-75 cash injections build up fairly quickly. Then, it's just a matter of telling yourself NOT to spend the money on BS...I don't keep it where it's readily accessible when I'm just out running around.

This signature is AWESOME!!!