Midwest

Why N.J. could soon be only state without self-serve gas

Why N.J. could soon be only state without self-serve gas

Saw this on Facebook by a friend from NJ.....

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/05/why_nj_could_soon_be_only_state_without_self-serve_gas.html#incart_most-read_weather_article

"A proposed law moving through the Oregon state legislature could leave New Jersey as the only state where motorists aren't allowed to pump their own gasoline statewide.

The Oregon House passed a bill that would allow drivers in more than half of the state's counties to fuel their vehicles without waiting for an attendant, OregonLive.com reported.

There's a push for the change because motorists driving through rural parts of Oregon have often slept in their cars because no gas stations were open late at night. Stations have said they can't afford to stay open because they get so little business during those hours.

Oregon has been a full service state since 1951, when lawmakers decided only "trained station workers" could put flammable liquid into vehicles, the website said.

New Jersey gas stations have been full-serve since 1949 for the same reason — safety. A 2012 poll indicated 63 percent of New Jerseyans don't want to to pump gas themselves."

I pumped my own gas in Ohio for 15 years, not to mention however many times I did it for my parents as a kid as well as whenever I leave the state now.

I've now been in NJ nearly 20 years and had my gas pumped for me.

I would say that in the majority of cases, I'd rather have someone else do it.   I'm often in my business work clothes and while it's rare to get gas on you, it still happens, specially if the pump shuts off late and gas splatters out of the nozzle even with that fumes recapture device.  It can also drip on your shoes and the handle itself often will transfer gas stink to your hands.

The occasional slow attendant or busy station is the only time it's annoying.  You could be gased and gone before they come by. 

As to the reason why it was banned...I think we can see by the rest of the country that nothing bad comes of it.   Of course we could say that about CCW to, but Jersey is still stuck in the past.

i generally pump my own. at least in my mustang. i don't trust a gas jockey to touch my car.

that said..........fuck that self serve bullshit. they want to make us pump our own? then lower the price accordingly, since they will no longer be employing gas jockeys.

Of all the things wrong with this state, having someone else pump my gas for me is not on my priority list.  Who cares?  I'll gladly sit in my car with the AC/Heat on during the summer/winter and let them sit out in the heat/cold and pump my gas.

I pumped gas one summer back in the 70's and the only training i got was how to drop money in the safe. May have been the best summer of my life too in regards to meeting up with the ladies lol. Including one who was a model in Cosmo...We have just about the cheapest gas prices around and they pump for you, win. And dont think the prices will go down w/o the attendents, new taxes would take care of that. Not to mention it employs a lot of people across the state albiet low paying.

Of all the things wrong with this state, having someone else pump my gas for me is not on my priority list.  Who cares?  I'll gladly sit in my car with the AC/Heat on during the summer/winter and let them sit out in the heat/cold and pump my gas.

Of all the things wrong with this state, having the ability to provide my own personal security is not on my priority list.  Who cares?  I'll gladly bend over and take it and let the police do an investigation and my family bury me.

Not to mention it employs a lot of people across the state albiet low paying.

Many of those guys are on the Indian version of indentured servitude.   They get sponsored to come over here and the rule is for the next 1-2 years, they work at the gas station(or Liquor store or Dunkin Donuts) for very long hours, 6 to 7 days a week and live in one of the sponsor's "group" homes.   They get paid dirt but have almost no expenses.  At the end of their stint, the sponsor gives them a big bonus(like 10k or something) and they can move on to something else or continue to work in a different capacity.   It basically gets them a leg up and a good start but if they screw up, they get sent back to India.

lol Jeepster.

I forget why we still have this law, code.. whatever it's called.  Thought maybe about some past lawsuit.  Not sure.

But it does keep those Wawa guys employed.

It is in line though with our over-bearing government.  If we are allowed to pump our own, how will they do it?

An open Carry permit for a Pump nozzle?

Will it be a May issue... or Shall issue?  And  based on what? 

What will the fees be?

Will training be required?

Will there be limits on how many gallons?  10 max ... or 15 max?  OR do we get 30 like other states?

Will we have to subsidized the laid off pump jockys?  Retrain them to be hair stylists or massage therapists?

This IS new jersey... so.....

The main issue for me is not having a choice.  Want to pump your own?  Sure, go right ahead?  Need help so that you don't chip a nail?  There's a full service lane.  Want to be prepared to provide for yourself and others?  Learn the skills and get the equipment.  (I carry a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and other preparedness items in my vehicles.)

It's a jobs program, nothing more. It certainly has nothing to do with 'safety', and I don't buy the arguments that eliminating the law would mean the end of full serve, while not saving us money at the pump. 48 other states allow self serve; it's always significantly cheaper, and there is always an abundance of full serve pumps around, if you want that option. There is no magical economic force that would cause the situation to be different in NJ.

What really cracks me up about the ban on self serve is that it doesn't apply to aircraft. The state tries to claim with a straight face that fueling a vehicle is far too complex for the average citizen to master, but every small airport has a self serve pump so we weekend pilots can fill the wings with 100 octane LEADED AV gas!

when I'm in my shitty car I don't care of Apu wants to pump my gas. but when I'm in my good car, stay the fuck way from my shit you heathen. I've had more of those asshole scratch my shit because they don't give a fuck than I care to remember. I have only ever had 1 pump monkey give me shit, and I promptly left after cursing him out (he was being a complete asshole) having pumped no gas.

I pumped gas one summer back in the 70's and the only training i got was how to drop money in the safe. May have been the best summer of my life too in regards to meeting up with the ladies lol. Including one who was a model in Cosmo...We have just about the cheapest gas prices around and they pump for you, win. And dont think the prices will go down w/o the attendents, new taxes would take care of that. Not to mention it employs a lot of people across the state albiet low paying.

the problem with that part, is that the indian owned stations only hire indians. they mostly pay their attendants in cash. most of that cash gets sent home(i.e. to india)./

It's a jobs program, nothing more. It certainly has nothing to do with 'safety', and I don't buy the arguments that eliminating the law would mean the end of full serve, while not saving us money at the pump. 48 other states allow self serve; it's always significantly cheaper, and there is always an abundance of full serve pumps around, if you want that option. There is no magical economic force that would cause the situation to be different in NJ.

What really cracks me up about the ban on self serve is that it doesn't apply to aircraft. The state tries to claim with a straight face that fueling a vehicle is far too complex for the average citizen to master, but every small airport has a self serve pump so we weekend pilots can fill the wings with 100 octane LEADED AV gas!

i don't recall ever seeing full service options where i visit in florida. or georgis, nc, sc, va. i think i did see those options though in md and de.......

I know a couple of gas stations who pay their guys below minimum wage. Twelve hour shifts too.

Also, in PA I know of at least one station that has both self serve and full serve. I think it is fifty cents more per gallon for full serve.

Our gas prices are much more expensive here in KY, and nearby Ohio and Indiana than in NJ.

It could be $2.00 in NJ, it will be  $2.39 and $2.49 here in the Midwest.

It doesn't matter. The price would go back up soon thereafter and any cost savings will be lost in the price yoyoing. Hang onto full service as long as you can. Pumping gas in the rain and snow blows. Oh wait.

It doesn't matter. The price would go back up soon thereafter and any cost savings will be lost in the price yoyoing. Hang onto full service as long as you can. Pumping gas in the rain and snow blows. Oh wait.

Yeah, but in a few years when when you open your tap a puff of dust is going to come out,

Yeah, but in a few years when when you open your tap a puff of dust is going to come out,

Then the Federal Government will step in and build a pipeline from God knows where and make NJ pay for it with another gas tax.

My simple question is this:

Do you think the price of gas in NJ is going to go down if we go to self-serve?

^

^

Nope

Actually I learned something a few weeks ago when driving up & back to Florida. If you use a Debit card and select the Debit option at the pump you are charged at the Cash rate. Here in NJ (at least at the fuel stations I use) there is no option to select debit so I am charged at the Credit rate. Of course I can’t use the pump to fuel the car but can with the bike. Normally I only fuel up at the stations with cash & credit at same price and try to avoid two tier pricing. 

When the Hadjis decide to take over, one of the first things they will do is shut down all of the gas stations they own. When you can only get gas at one or two stations in each state, the entire country will be crippled and easy to overrun.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

When the Hadjis decide to take over, one of the first things they will do is shut down all of the gas stations they own. When you can only get gas at one or two stations in each state, the entire country will be crippled and easy to overrun.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

that won't get them very far.