Midwest

Gov. Chris Christie calls for end of Common Core in New Jersey

(Friend from NJ posted this on Facebook. This might be of interest to some here. I'm not really familiar with the issues surrounding Common Core as much as she is, but she said this was important.)

Gov. Chris Christie calls for end of Common Core in New Jersey

http://7online.com/education/gov-chris-christie-calls-for-end-of-common-core-in-new-jersey/746353/

"Gov. Chris Christie is backing away from the use of Common Core school standards, saying the system isn't working for students in New Jersey."

Have you ever seen how they teach simple addition and subtraction using Common Core methods? Absolutely mind boggling.

I attempted to help my nephew with his math homework recently. Mind you I do math all day at work. A lot of Effed up math we thought we would never use in life. I Use It all Of course FML.

So the math problem is 9+6=Y. Any normal person would look at the problem without doing anything more than adding 9+6 in their head, and get the answer of 15. Well apparently that's no longer good enough. The kid tells me "I have to show my work as to how we got the answer of 15". I said what do you mean "show the work???" this isn't advanced calculus, and even when I took calculus in school we used a calculator and wrote out the process. This is 9+6! The answer is 15 I told him. That's when I learned about "root numbers" Holy Shit! So get this, you subtract 1 from the 6, leaving you with 5, then you add the 1 to the 9 and get 10, that's your "root number", then you add 10+5 to get the answer of 15. I'm not kidding, this is how they teach fucking math now!

Seriously?

no...... really?

stop it...... 

I wish.  Unfortunately what you hear and read is only the tip of the iceberg.

Furthermore, they've tried to cross teach.  Meaning that math now involves a significant amount of reading (ie word problems), science involves math, etc.  So instead of trying to teach the basics and building upon them, they jumble it all together.  It's a nightmare and for a kid with learning disabilities it's even more challenging than the previous curricula.

An example here - are YOU smarter than a 5th grader?  http://www.lakeshore.wnyric.org/cms/lib/NY19001770/Centricity/Domain/432/CC%205th%20grade%20word%20problems.pdf

And if you want to really lose your mind:  https://grade5commoncoremath.wikispaces.hcpss.org/Problem+Solving

And NONE of this mentioned above even remotely begins to address the obvious left leaning of their agenda, particularly when it comes to environmentalism, OOPS, I meant SCIENCE, or their take on history.

My kids had to learn math that way in grammar school up to the 5th grade, then in 8th grade they taught hem the "traditional" method because that was how they were expected to do the work in high school.

Now, I teach engineering and mathematics at a local university, so I have a fairly good understanding of how this works, I also see first hand how students form other countries have learned and how they perform these functions and nothing I have seen supports this way of teaching.

What a bunch of crap.  

As a parent of to kids in grade school now we choose to refuse their participation in this stupid test. And yes the curriculum for this stinks I try to show my kids how to do a quick way to do a math problem and they get confused because it doesn't match what they have been shown. But I agree wasn't Chistie just a few months ago saying wait and see how the tests go. My fear now though they will give us a worst test setup.

The company that runs the tests, creates the curriculum and is in bed with the US DoE is making millions. You can bet some of that money is finding its way back into the hands of the people that force common core on us.

The company that runs the tests, creates the curriculum and is in bed with the US DoE is making millions. You can bet some of that money is finding its way back into the hands of the people that force common core on us.

Exactly- and this is the core of the problem.

As a parent of to kids in grade school now we choose to refuse their participation in this stupid test. And yes the curriculum for this stinks I try to show my kids how to do a quick way to do a math problem and they get confused because it doesn't match what they have been shown. But I agree wasn't Chistie just a few months ago saying wait and see how the tests go. My fear now though they will give us a worst test setup.

Great so you refuse the test.  Big deal - they're still Teaching to the Test!  So your kids suffer through the BS curricula anyway and they have no clue how to solve real world problems.

There's a shred of merit to their methods in that if, for instance, you're counting large quantities of numbers, putting them in sets of ten makes sense and can speed your addition process, but this is NOT the primary method of learning.  It's something that should be introduced later, as an alternate method, like Chisenbop.  As a teacher you might supplement your teaching with some additional methods but to use these alternate methods as the core curriculum (ie that's where Common Core comes from) is just absurd.

Furthermore, it seems that the curriculum was developed in a vacuum without regard to the different learning speeds of various individuals in the classroom - but that should not surprise any of us.  "The Man" (Society, the establishment, whatever you want to call it) wants to pigeon hole each of our kids into "categories" so this just fits in remarkably with their fucked up agenda.  In addition, it seems that the curricula was not developed with even a rudimentary understanding of Cognitive Development Stages. (Google Piaget for an example).

One of the core tenets of core curriculum is that segments of the population are behind the curve because of poor teaching and underfunded schools. This solution tries to aim federal education dollars directly at that perceived problem.

It ignores the fact that when you are multiple generations into being poor, there's a whole lot of behaviors already learned that don't help with doing well in school.

Even if you could fix that part, it's not like there are enough jobs to suddenly eliminate poor communities if they only got a better education.

The testing of course is designed to be borderline because it is essentially a certification process. It will be tuned so it will be easy to tell every school they passed, but... They will be constantly in peril of not being certified, and thus scared into constantly chasing the impossible solid score. This keeps auditors and compliance service industries making money.