RobCo

Advice for those going for their FID

With my recent experiences with the gun laws in good ole' NJ. I have some advise for those that are going to get their FID. When you put in for the FID and you have intentions to purchase any handguns, the best option is to put in for the handgun permits at the same time. You are going to end up waiting anyway.

This was advice I was given by a very helpful and friendly woman that used process the FID and pistol permits in my municipality. Unfortunately, she has retired.

always get 3 stones as well.

OGAM, 90 day expiration. POSSIBLE 90 day extension.

heaven forbid your first rock thrower has a defect out of the box; replacement == new permit (IIRC, OGAM is suspended in such a case.)

plus, permits sitting on your desk are like an itch you HAVE to scratch. Gotta have friends for your new toys to talk to while they're in the safe. Nothing worse than a lonely gun.

When I applied for FPID, the LEO taking in the app actually advised me to put in HG and put in for 3. He also explained me to reasoning behind putting more than 1 HG Permit.  Imagine that :-) .  Great guys / gals at the PD. 

If something goes wrong with HG purchased and dealer / manufacturer had to replace serialized part, you better have a permit on hand rather than waiting few more weeks. 

If your town allows for extensions on the permits, get 6. Also, reapply for the same number of permits before the ones that you have are gone. You'll never have to wait for a permit ever again.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

If your town allows for extensions on the permits, get 6. Also, reapply for the same number of permits before the ones that you have are gone. You'll never have to wait for a permit ever again.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

My town allows for extensions, its pretty easy, but they won't let you file more than 3 permits unless your filing for ogam exemption. I didn't find a big issue over it considering they get permits done fast and will let you do more than 3 if your filing an exemption. I think they got anoyed that people kept coming in to extend permits 3 at a time and he said the other option was to deny extensions.

My town allows for extensions, its pretty easy, but they won't let you file more than 3 permits unless your filing for ogam exemption. I didn't find a big issue over it considering they get permits done fast and will let you do more than 3 if your filing an exemption. I think they got anoyed that people kept coming in to extend permits 3 at a time and he said the other option was to deny extensions.

It's not legal to limit.  Period.  If I want 1000, and want to pay the $2 a piece, they can't limit you.  Yes, I understand, they don't have to renew them, but they can't limit them.

Even decent PDs got misguided apprehensions about number of HG permits. Not sure if its paperwork that bothers them or they imagine people buying arsenal of HGs against the OGAM.  When I last applied for exemption, the Admin told me Chief wouldn't signoff on anything more than 3.  I smiled and told her that I want 6 and there is no limit per law.  She went inside to have a quick chat with Chief, came back and took the paperwork with no issue.  Got 6 permits. 

If they still deny after informing them, then read the other "Video" thread to record conversation :-) . 

It's not legal to limit. Period. If I want 1000, and want to pay the $2 a piece, they can't limit you. Yes, I understand, they don't have to renew them, but they can't limit them.

this is where common sense compromise is a real understandable thing. They will let you put in for 6, but they won't ever extended even one of them. So its a give take situation. I spoke to the officer and he was very clear on it, he said apply for as many u want but don't bother asking for an extension. If u put in for 3, they will extend all 3 no questions asked. If you put in for 20 with ogam exemption they will do all 20. It's reasonable IMO.Add the fact I can get permits in 3 weeks and it's not even something to worry about. If you want to call them to follow the law don't be upset when they don't allow extensions. Like I said, they won't stop you from filing more then 3, but the attitude changes.

I think they got pissed off when a couple people would continually put in for 10 permits and would end up only using one.

What town in NJ gets permits done in 3 weeks? Are towns allowed to arbitrarily deny extensions? Personally I enjoy collecting military rifles more than handguns, but part of the reason I gloss over handguns for sale is how long the permit takes. However if I have some on hand I do tend to use them. I think I will apply for new permits; 6 of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What town in NJ gets permits done in 3 weeks? Are towns allowed to arbitrarily deny extensions? Personally I enjoy collecting military rifles more than handguns, but part of the reason I gloss over handguns for sale is how long the permit takes. However if I have some on hand I do tend to use them. I think I will apply for new permits; 6 of them.

My former town does.  Twp. of Independence, Warren County.    Initial FID + 2 P2Ps. 23 calendar days.    Subsequent sets of P2Ps, 16 calendar days each.

A lot will depend on how busy the "county adjuster's office" is when the investigation starts. If your PD is using the electronic 212A from for the Criminal background check, that should return very quickly. So, the only real delay (assuming references return forms on time) would be the county adjuster in re: mental health records check.

It all depends on the town, it took 3 months for me to get the FID. And I am still waiting 6 months for handgun permits.

It all depends on the town, it took 3 months for me to get the FID. And I am still waiting 6 months for handgun permits.

That sounds more typical. Took 5 months last time I got handgun permits in Manalapan. A friend of mine is a State Trooper and it took him 4 months in Fair Haven. Which towns in NJ take less than a month?

NJ2AS team is looking for people running into problem / delays. There is a thread on it requesting the contact to be video recorded and shared. If you want to help out . 

NJ2AS team is looking for people running into problem / delays. There is a thread on it requesting the contact to be video recorded and shared. If you want to help out . 

Thanks, I actually sent them an email last week as the problem I was experiencing was that my town was not accepting any online requests for the form 212A. Even though the State PD required it, however after a few months my town finally set themselves up for the online request for form 212A last week and they notified me this past monday. So I am just waiting some more, I didn't hear back from the NJ2AS however.

thanks

Woodbridge is one of the largest municipalities in NJ and I consistently get mine back in less then 30 days. There is only one person that I'm aware of who processes permits. If she can handle the load and get them all out on time then these other towns have no excuse.

Woodbridge is one of the largest municipalities in NJ and I consistently get mine back in less then 30 days. There is only one person that I'm aware of who processes permits. If she can handle the load and get them all out on time then these other towns have no excuse.

I completely agree. I'm sure Woodbridge is busier than Manalapan. Manalapan only allows paperwork to be submitted once a week and will not accept paperwork unless it is typed which seems illegal to me. Nowhere in the statute does it say it must be typed. What happens if you have someone older like my father who doesn't type and doesn't even use a computer. Anyone know the legality of refusing hand written applications?

As luck would have it today was one of the now only 2 days per month Manalapan accepts firearms applications. I have been sitting here waiting my tur, to hand in my application for permits to purchase handguns for 45 minutes now. This is not my initial. I own multiple handguns and long guns and I have both a Florida and Utah CCW. A retired cop calls each person behind closed doors one at a time. At least I am happy to see 20 people exercising their 2nd Amendment Rights. I will update on total time waited and what happens behind the closed door.

Total time spent 1hr. Behind closed doors just checked for completeness of application. Had no problem telling me it would take at least 4 months for permits. So much for 30 days. It took 4 and 6 weeks to get my Utah and Florida CCW. How can another state be that much more efficient than the town I have lived in for 37 out of 41 yrs of my life.

How can another state be that much more efficient than the town I have lived in for 37 out of 41 yrs of my life.

Your town obviously doesn't care if they violate your rights and state law. I can't believe that people in your community sit still for the 2 days per month restriction. Shame.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Your town obviously doesn't care if they violate your rights and state law. I can't believe that people in your community sit still for the 2 days per month restriction. Shame.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I just found out about this today that it has gotten this bad. It used to be twice a week then once a week walk in drop off application and leave. Now twice a month and waiting an hour enough is enough. I only sat through it so I can have standing in any suit. I am going to research who to contact and will be making calls and writing letters.