I have no idea where these are all at, but some of them are from Stembridge movie rentals in kali. 

For those that have a monster house with a full basement those are great, but the average guy has what I have - a spare bedroom that is 9x12'.  Thus I have both walls full and 2 large 2 door safes in the garage to hold the majority of my collection. 

Here are a couple of photos of my "gun room."  This is only the German stuff (& only a small part of it), there are no US, Brit or ruskie gunz in this room. 

Sarge 

Well I guess not since I don't find the photos in my newly renovated computer.  Guess I have to get into my laptop and transfer them.

Some really nice designs.  I like the rustic wood look over the "stuffy" mahogany or walnut look. I couldn't do any of those high end full room deals... but it gives me some ideas if I ever have the time... and willing to spend some cash on doing something to part of one room in the house.  I like the center table set up.  But a box doesn't work. I think it should have an overhang so you could also sit and work there, not just stand or be forced to sit sideways as you clean... or fondle ...your weapons.

And some of those look like businesses.  Still, very nice.

Shawn, thanks for finding yet another way for us to spend money...

I always wondered how people reinforce the walls and ceiling of these rooms. There are a number of people that mention that they have them but they don't like posting details or pictures on the internet. If you do it while you build the house you can pour the room out of concrete with extra rebars, but if it's an existing home how do you make it as secure as a safe ?

I always wondered how people reinforce the walls and ceiling of these rooms. 

I doubt people do -- Unless it's in the design of the home from the beginning it's not such an easy task

Concrete and steel equals weight -- hard pressed to do a room on the second floor of most any home

Ground level exterior walls are easily breached -- a layer of vinyl siding, OSB, insulation and sheetrock

Basement is really the only place to do a concrete reinforced full size room -- just gotta watch the humidity

D

I doubt people do -- Unless it's in the design of the home from the beginning it's not such an easy task

Concrete and steel equals weight -- hard pressed to do a room on the second floor of most any home

Ground level exterior walls are easily breached -- a layer of vinyl siding, OSB, insulation and sheetrock

Basement is really the only place to do a concrete reinforced full size room -- just gotta watch the humidity

Don't forget that many homes down South do not have basements.  Due to the high frost line excavating for a basement is not cost effective, since foundations do not need to be deep, why dig even more?  Once you get south of VA, many homes are slab-on-grade, doing a concrete room on the first floor at that point, isn't hard.  Humidity is not a problem with proper vapor proofing and ventilation either.

D

Don't forget that many homes down South do not have basements.  Due to the high frost line excavating for a basement is not cost effective, since foundations do not need to be deep, why dig even more?  Once you get south of VA, many homes are slab-on-grade, doing a concrete room on the first floor at that point, isn't hard.  Humidity is not a problem with proper vapor proofing and ventilation either.

I was kinda thinking for us, here in Jersey...

I was kinda thinking for us, here in Jersey...

I thought it was a comment on design.  Just pointing out that most of those, are not in NJ and being in warmer climates makes it easier.

As for the permit issue, you can just call it a closet.  A concrete closet with a vault door, but hey, maybe you have a collection of Hermes Birkin bags lol

I just assumed that people with such extensive collections that build a room instead of a safe put it in the basement and secure it somehow. The doors themselves for these rooms are about four and a half thousand dollars IIRC.

There are cheaper options as well. Only feasible option is to do in basement.

But to answer your previous question, it's much easier to do while house is being built than as a modification.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I plan on having one for sure, store guns, ammo, have a reloading bench in there as well as keeping important docs and have it double as a panic/tornado//hurricane room.  Using conc. block or pored in place concrete you can achieve 2-hr fire rating or better quite easily. 

Most of us in NJ wish we had the space in our existing homes to create a space like many of those pictured in that link.
I agree that a multi-duty room for gun storage, safe haven and very appealing "man-cave", that has a sufficient fire rating and temperature/humidity control, would be a real desirable luxury for anyone of us here on NJGF.

Even for those of us who will never have the number of guns shown in some of those photos, would love to have a room in our home that is a secure space dedicated for the storage, display, servicing and cleaning all of our firearms, storage for ammo and reloading, as well as for all of our associated gun-related gear and accessories.  The one photo of a room with a window and recessed flat-screen television was particularly interesting to me.  I would add an attached lavatory with a toilet and an industrial sink.  Well, while I am at it.. why not add a small refrigerator for the obligatory thrist quenching beverages....  Yes Kevin125, this would get rather expensive...!

As an Architect, while I appreciate the dark stained wood aesthetic of some of those rooms, emulating a more traditional library, study or wine cellar, I would prefer a space that is lighter in both color and light, that ideally has a window(s) for allowing daylight to enter and possibly even a view out.  Yes, I understand that detail could compromise the security of the room, but that is also an issue that can be successfully and attractively addressed in a number of ways.  After all, this is a room in a private residence, not a fort or armory. There are plenty of historical architectural precedents and examples for windows and openings in exterior stone walls that would allow daylight to beam into the interior, as well as provide a gun port out from the room for defensive purposes, if ever necessary.

Thanks for sharing that link... 

AVB-AMG

Nobody knows where I live now. I moved and my name is on no paperwork.

Did I just see you tonight sleeping on the E Train?

And you now have to post some pictures. We're expecting a room at least as nice as the one's in Shawn's linked article.