Lambo2936

Anyone else's safe just too small?

So is the little one going to eat the cartridges? throw them at your windows? Without a gun to put them in, they are like rocks. :dontknow:

Take one to school? That goes over so well.

Or lets not forget small kids like to put things in their mouths.

Ill definitely find some way to get ammo out and make it all firearm storage. Just wish i didnt have to. I like having it all in there nice and safe.. im a neat freak when it comes to my toys. i hate seeing stuff just hammed in there. The rest of the house can be on fire, IDC.

Try one of these. Or an equivalent. It holds an enormous amount of ammo, and can be locked and/or bolted to something. Just remember: once you fill it up, it won't move!

Ammo's too heavy to run off with in any quantity, and not that much $/lb. So just securing it from idle or curious hands should be sufficient.

P.S. Available at Amazon for about $204.

Those are nice. My issue is floor space, though. Teeny teeny home. Thinking some ammo cans or bins of some sort and put em in the bottom of the closet, or a metal cabinet and ill just fill that. Have some closetmaid ones. That way i at least get the height, too.

I need a full-sized safe but I always worry/wonder about how to get a several hundred pound monster from the curb (where they generally leave it off) to my basement or, even worse, my attic. The basement steps are sturdy but you never know what might happen if the safe on a dolly slams onto one or two of them. I don't feel like hiring two moving guys and I no longer trust myself either at the "top" or "bottom" of that enterprise.

So I remove the firing mechanisms and keep them in the safe along with the handguns. Thieves could conceivably steal the stocks/receivers if they could find them, but unless they happen to be carrying my calibers (ammo hidden separately and remotely) at least they can't shoot me with them. BTW I don't have expensive rifles.

The thing we forget about storing firearms is that many of us have stuff hanging around the house that's even more valuable. My cell phone is worth three of my Mosins or one SKS, and it's easier to fence. Cash. Jewelry. Etc.

Is there a way, under an umbrella policy, to insure against firearm theft? I'd imagine there'd be a deductible.

I need a full-sized safe but I always worry/wonder about how to get a several hundred pound monster from the curb (where they generally leave it off) to my basement or, even worse, my attic. The basement steps are sturdy but you never know what might happen if the safe on a dolly slams onto one or two of them. I don't feel like hiring two moving guys and I no longer trust myself either at the "top" or "bottom" of that enterprise.

So I remove the firing mechanisms and keep them in the safe along with the handguns. Thieves could conceivably steal the stocks/receivers if they could find them, but unless they happen to be carrying my calibers (ammo hidden separately and remotely) at least they can't shoot me with them. BTW I don't have expensive rifles.

The thing we forget about storing firearms is that many of us have stuff hanging around the house that's even more valuable. My cell phone is worth three of my Mosins or one SKS, and it's easier to fence. Cash. Jewelry. Etc.

Is there a way, under an umbrella policy, to insure against firearm theft? I'd imagine there'd be a deductible.

On most good safes, the door comes off. That accounts for about a third of the total weight. Also they have appliance dollies that are made to go up and down steps.

I definitely wouldn't put a safe or RSC in an attic. It needs a sturdy floor.

As for insurance, I'm actually looking into the same thing right now. NRA offers a policy for pretty cheap. Your regular homeowners won't cover theft outside the home. And mine won't cover theft over 2500 period.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

If they are there for your weapons, your phone is second in line. Weapons would be worth more to them if they nab them....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are nice. My issue is floor space, though. Teeny teeny home. Thinking some ammo cans or bins of some sort and put em in the bottom of the closet, or a metal cabinet and ill just fill that. Have some closetmaid ones. That way i at least get the height, too.

If you have space issues, get a couple ammo cans, padlock them, and keep them under your bed or floor in the closet. Your kid will never get in them if their padlocked. I have a 13yo and 7yo boys and i have 8 ammo cans padlocked in the closet, no problems

My home umbrella is for personal liability, not property.

If you want firearms insurance, look at these guys. Their quote to me in $/K was very reasonable. And they cover everything.

If they are there for your weapons, your phone is second in line. Weapons would be worth more to them if they nab them....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only 12% of New Jersey residents own firearms. They'd have to break into 8-1/3 homes, on average, before being remotely close to a gun. Then they have to find it.

If I were a burglar I'd go for cash, jewelry.

My most expensive gun cost around $750.00. What would a thief get for it? Maybe $100, if he knows someone he can sell it to. If he steals $500 in cash he gets $500. He can get rid of jewelry at any pawn shop for a steep but not horrible discount. And he can carry both out the door while running to the get-away car.

Maybe I'm giving burglars too much credit, or too little.

Only 12% of New Jersey residents own firearms. They'd have to break into 8-1/3 homes, on average, before being remotely close to a gun. Then they have to find it.

If I were a burglar I'd go for cash, jewelry.

My most expensive gun cost around $750.00. What would a thief get for it? Maybe $100, if he knows someone he can sell it to. If he steals $500 in cash he gets $500. He can get rid of jewelry at any pawn shop for a steep but not horrible discount. And he can carry both out the door while running to the get-away car.

Maybe I'm giving burglars too much credit, or too little.

I agree about the jewelry, money and such. But for weapons, I wasn't referring to monetary value. Value that gives them and edge on the streets.

My home umbrella is for personal liability, not property.

If you want firearms insurance, look at these guys. Their quote to me in $/K was very reasonable. And they cover everything.

Their exclusions scare me. I think I'm going to stick to the NRA one.

Wtf is a "mysterious disappearance"?

http://collectinsure.com/what-we-insure/exclusions

I'll probably padlock some tool caddies or ammo boxes and put em in the closet or something for now. Just don't have the space.
As for a safe, I am in a mobile/trailer/manufactured home on wheels that has about 4 or 5 steps to get into it, with a rail and a small landing at the top with a right turn into the home. It's mission impossible. Believe it or not, it only took one person to get in. The dolly i purchased was never even used. We layed cardboard on the steps, slid the safe up as much as possible and flipped it right over onto the landing, and then again into the house. By we, i mean one of my friends who is basically a body builder. WE just watched. The safe is a 24 gun buck commander from home depot, weighed like 250+ pounds. Cost me a beer and a few bucks. Can't complain, totally worth it, haha.

My firearms are by no means very expensive. Most i spent was like 1150 i think on my M400, or something like that. But, when you factor in 5+ firearms at 600$ each average, plus a few THOUSAND rounds of ammunition for your average nut job on here, and the street value get's to be a bit much.
Sure, it's not worth much hypothetically, BUT, the fact of the matter is some gang will pay a good few grand for them.
On the other hand, all of the electronics in my house cost less... He can steal my blender and pressure cooker and the one 500$ tv in my house, but other than that and a few old computers, there aint much, i'd be going after the firearms and bit of cash in the safe!

As for a safe, I am in a mobile/trailer/manufactured home on wheels that has about 4 or 5 steps to get into it, with a rail and a small landing at the top with a right turn into the home. It's mission impossible.

The smart thief will just tow the home away, to ransack at his leisure. :-)

I don't see that in their exclusions.

It's not, but they will want to know the surrounding circumstances and won't pay without substantiation.

Buy whatever you're comfortable with.