sw41

Vice News Documentary on Newark Carjackers

Vice has a new series on black markets and the first episode is on Newark carjackers.  The story is told from the carjackers point of view so is sympathetic to them in a way that bothers me.  But it is informative about how they target people and how the cars end up being shipped out of country so is still worth watching.  When they go to scope out how they pick targets it is clearly Short Hills Mall that they have chosen.  It's also interesting that they choose 3 man teams for this with defined roles.  Of course, our wonderful state legislators will still insist that no one needs to be able to carry despite all this evidence to the contrary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmH6d839Ytk

Yikes. What a remarkably chilling little film. And, I agree - the level of "oh, let's feel sorry for these poor boys" is a bit much.

I remember that Short Hills Mall crime well, because I do like to go to that mall a few times a year. I was there exactly a year after that crime. Met a friend there and I walked back to my car alone about 10 pm. And guess what? Not a SOUL anywhere... no obvious cameras... certainly not a guard in sight anywhere. And this was the very next Christmas season! So, that mall obviously has NO intention of spending one extra thin dime on security. Nothing that will take away from profits, I guess. I've hit the mall once since then - but it was during the day, and I drove around until a had an open (not garage) parking right in front of a store. And frankly, I kept my eyes open.

And I pretty much totally gave up on going into Newark a few years back (despite the good Spanish/Portugese restaurants and NJPAC events). I've always though of myself as a risk-taker in many ways... but that town just started to feel not quite worth the risk anymore (as a female traveling either alone or with a girlfriend). I have girlfriends who go there ALL the time - and they blithely point out that there are tons of cops around NJPAC for example. But, personally, I always thought that was a bit of a red flag. I mean, if NJPAC feels they need THAT MANY cops onsite, what the hell must be lurking outside that perimeter? After watching this film, yeah, I think I'll continue to avoid Newark! I won't miss it one bit.

Dumbphuck at the 23:00 minute mark..."I got 3 kids....they ain't got nothing." Basically implying that they are entitled to something. How about you be a father and get those for your kids... eff them

I'm willing to bet a few of those idiots got shot or shot at this weekend. Hope they bled slow and painfully.

Yep, these mofos are doing the "bump and rob" now. They cruise around Short Hills Mall looking for people leaving in their nice cars. They follow them home to Summit, Chatham, Madison, Millburn, Livingston, New Providence, etc and purposely bump the back of their car at a stop light. The unsuspecting driver who gets out of the car to check damage and exchange info is met with a gun in their face. The perps know you won't be armed so it's easy pickings. After that, it's a straight 20 minute drive into Newark/Elizabeth before the cops can even react. Essex County is carjacking capital of the world for a reason. I know a guy who got "bumped" leaving Bullet Hole a couple years ago. He knew what was up so didn't stop but he was definitely targeted.

I live near the Short Hills Mall and suggest that anyone who goes there be conscious of where you park and what/who is around you as much as possible.
Use your "situational awareness" to understand that you may be followed, either when on foot or in your car.
Unfortunately, racial profiling is a sad reality and should be accepted and used here, as most earlier posters on this thread understand.

Thankfully, I have never had a problem going to and from this Mall, nor while shopping in it.

AVB-AMG

Funny, at the 21 minute mark...I was in that club in Lagos a few years ago.

Also a good show is Underground, same channel as Drugs,Inc.

Not that I ever had any reason to visit the Short Hills Mall, but I doubt anyone is on the hunt for a Jeep anyway.

• Like 1

I live near the Short Hills Mall and suggest that anyone who goes there be conscious of where you park and what/who is around you as much as possible.

Use your "situational awareness" to understand that you may be followed, either when on foot or in your car.

Unfortunately, racial profiling is a sad reality and should be accepted and used here, as most earlier posters on this thread understand.

Thankfully, I have never had a problem going to and from this Mall, nor while shopping in it.

AVB-AMG

I'd leave the AMG Benz at home.  Take the '81 Caprice instead. 

I'm curious though.  Why is this .."still a thing"...???

I know there was or maybe still is a unit that addresses car theft in Newark and the surrounding area.  A friend of mine was on it for a while as a guest.   If this is going on, it seems it would be easy for the NJSP to bait these guys and either kill them or arrest them as they attempted to car jack an LEO who was being covered by other LEO's.  Sounds like a treasure trove of arrests to be had and way to shut this down.  When the Gone in 60 Secs crew starts seeing their pals dropping like flies... maybe they'll find a new profession.

From what I understand, the tactics of that unit were more about finding and recovering stolen cars and not so much about posing as a potential car jacking victim.  Which makes no sense to me. Why would our police departments allow unarmed citizens become the victims while they try to find the cars after the fact?  Why are they not putting themselves in the hot seat and driving these guys out of business?

and it's not like these are just auto theft criminals.... they are committing the theft with illegal firearms.  Is it only OUR guns that they want?  And these AKs etc are no big deal?

I'd leave the AMG Benz at home. Take the '81 Caprice instead.

At times I wish I had the garage and driveway space for a real nondescript unrestored, (but still sort of cool), beater vehicle with multiple body dents all around, to give off the unabashed vibe: "I don't care....stay away from me". Maybe like a big old 1997 BMW 740iL.

But alas, I don't.....

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At times I wish I had the garage and driveway space for a real nondescript unrestored, (but still sort of cool), beater vehicle with multiple body dents all around, to give off the unabashed vibe: "I don't care....stay away from me". Maybe like a big old 1997 BMW 740iL.

But alas, I don't.....

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or maybe the 750IL Protection model.

Or maybe the 750IL Protection model.

Kevin:

I see you know your cars....

If I had that vehicle it would be a nondescript sleeper at a distance, but up close it would shout out: "Go ahead.... Try fucking with me"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some of them.

Do they even make that any more?

Looked it up...

Yes...

and in an X5....

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/general/corporate_direct_sales/security_vehicles/model_overview.html

The security glazing in the BMW X5 Security Plus is made of a security glass laminate with a polycarbonate coating on the inside to prevent spalling. It offers protection not just against attacks with blunt instruments and handguns, but also against the world’s most widely used firearm, the AK-47.

BMW uses moulded parts in the BMW X5 Security Plus which precisely follow the contours of the standard model. This way, all the normal airbags can be incorporated, without the cabin feeling any less spacious.

Sit here, and you know you’re safe: the edges of the doors, the places where windows meet frames and the joins between body panels are some of the most vulnerable areas of the vehicle to gunfire. But in the BMW X5 Security Plus, these areas are reinforced with steel armour, ensuring that neither bullets nor splinters can penetrate the passenger compartment.

X5-security-slide-02.jpg

Yeah. But we sat back and let it happen. We are suffering today the consequences of a decision made over 200 years ago! 

Not my father or his father nor many many generations back. Yet despite affirmative action, AKA reverse discrimination, Social programs out the wazoo,

places like Newark exist! Hate groups like BLM exist and there are many others like them.

In NYC, first graders are taught "white Guilt" See http://nypost.com/2016/07/01/elite-k-8-school-teaches-white-students-theyre-born-racist/

This shit must end! The overwhelming number of whites in the U.S. settled here long after slavery and their families never owned slaves.

I would guess that most blacks here today are not direct descendants of the slaves either! 

To quote Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along"?

I am not a racist! I am a realist. Look around you at Baltimore, Ferguson, Chicago, etc.  Is it the KKK that is burning, looting and killing or calling for dead Cops?

I am certainly not politically correct either! I have nothing against any race, religion or gender choice. What I do hate are thugs of any race that don't give 2 shits about

my right to survive and live my life without fear of traveling into the "wrong neighborhood" and becoming a victim with no way to defend myself! For that, I blame the State of New Jersey! end/rant

You had to get me started Kevin. :mutley:

meh this has nothing to do with slavery, that's a bullshit excuse. it's a product of the severely underfunded, paint by numbers mills they pass for schools in these areas and the non-existent parenting. i've been to these schools and have known people who've gone. the teachers first of all are not qualified to teach. the qualified ones won't teach at these schools, and the ones that do are former thugs themselves or are in it just to cash a paycheck and run home. they're not invested in these kids. they don't give a rat's ass whether you learn anything or even show up each day. i've seen people given diplomas who literally can't read (basketball scholarships). so they go to school (maybe) and learn absolutely nothing. they can't get a job because they have no skills, either technical or at the art of the job interview. they graduate without any idea what to do next or how to do it. they can't afford college and most don't even bother to take the act/sat to apply to get in anyway. so they spend their nights with their shiny diplomas on the wall hanging out with thugs and criminals who end up being their role models because their mother is working 3 jobs and their father is dead or in jail or just gone. they are plied with easy and cheap alcohol and drugs and realize pretty quickly they need to do something in order to live and pay rent. there are only so many low-skilled jobs available, so the way to escape the cycle is 1. sports (very rare) or 2. crime. pretty easy choice 

we as a society have failed these people. it's an endless cycle of poverty, poor education and violence, and the ONLY way to fix it is a radical, top down rebuilding of the education system in these cities. pour money into them. invest in them from kindergarten. afford them every academic luxury, from smart boards to personal laptops and meal vouchers. pay top dollar for quality educators to teach there. build after school programs so they have a safe haven to relax and study and stay out of trouble. build relationships with local colleges and universities so that when they hit HS they have an eye on higher education and the higher education institutions have an eye on them. develop trade programs for those who decide college isn't for them. make them WANT to go to school, not to hang out but to learn and better themselves. it will cost a lot of money. a lot of money. mark zuckerberg donated a cool $100 million dollars to the newark school system to do a lot of what i mentioned. not a cent reached the kids. where did all go? nobody knows. i'll point out here that the mayor of newark at the time was the honorable cory booker...still, the idea was noble. recruit tech companies to partner with these schools and grant them the tech to pull it off in exchange for naming rights or advertising revenue or whatever is necessary to get it done. you'll find they are just as eager to invest in the next generation of programmers and engineers and thinkers with great ideas as we are to have them. and you set up an oversight commission to record and watch over every penny spent so the newark/booker thing never repeats itself again. this could get done if the support were there.

THIS is where our politicians should be spending their precious time, not re-introducing the same failed gun control bills over and over again. not arguing over a gas tax to fund some shady transportation fund that's costing us $23 million per mile of nj roads.

don't mistake me, i have zero sympathy for the jackasses in the video and would prefer they be summarily rounded up and incarcerated forever. but there will just be a new wave to take their place. you have to break the cycle from the start. 

• Like 2

meh this has nothing to do with slavery, that's a bullshit excuse. it's a product of the severely underfunded, paint by numbers mills they pass for schools in these areas and the non-existent parenting. i've been to these schools and have known people who've gone. the teachers first of all are not qualified to teach. the qualified ones won't teach at these schools, and the ones that do are former thugs themselves or are in it just to cash a paycheck and run home. they're not invested in these kids. they don't give a rat's ass whether you learn anything or even show up each day. i've seen people given diplomas who literally can't read (basketball scholarships). so they go to school (maybe) and learn absolutely nothing. they can't get a job because they have no skills, either technical or at the art of the job interview. they graduate without any idea what to do next or how to do it. they can't afford college and most don't even bother to take the act/sat to apply to get in anyway. so they spend their nights with their shiny diplomas on the wall hanging out with thugs and criminals who end up being their role models because their mother is working 3 jobs and their father is dead or in jail or just gone. they are plied with easy and cheap alcohol and drugs and realize pretty quickly they need to do something in order to live and pay rent. there are only so many low-skilled jobs available, so the way to escape the cycle is 1. sports (very rare) or 2. crime. pretty easy choice

we as a society have failed these people. it's an endless cycle of poverty, poor education and violence, and the ONLY way to fix it is a radical, top down rebuilding of the education system in these cities. pour money into them. invest in them from kindergarten. afford them every academic luxury, from smart boards to personal laptops and meal vouchers. pay top dollar for quality educators to teach there. build after school programs so they have a safe haven to relax and study and stay out of trouble. build relationships with local colleges and universities so that when they hit HS they have an eye on higher education and the higher education institutions have an eye on them. develop trade programs for those who decide college isn't for them. make them WANT to go to school, not to hang out but to learn and better themselves. it will cost a lot of money. a lot of money. mark zuckerberg donated a cool $100 million dollars to the newark school system to do a lot of what i mentioned. not a cent reached the kids. where did all go? nobody knows. i'll point out here that the mayor of newark at the time was the honorable cory booker...still, the idea was noble. recruit tech companies to partner with these schools and grant them the tech to pull it off in exchange for naming rights or advertising revenue or whatever is necessary to get it done. you'll find they are just as eager to invest in the next generation of programmers and engineers and thinkers with great ideas as we are to have them. and you set up an oversight commission to record and watch over every penny spent so the newark/booker thing never repeats itself again. this could get done if the support were there.

THIS is where our politicians should be spending their precious time, not re-introducing the same failed gun control bills over and over again. not arguing over a gas tax to fund some shady transportation fund that's costing us $23 million per mile of nj roads.

don't mistake me, i have zero sympathy for the jackasses in the video and would prefer they be summarily rounded up and incarcerated forever. but there will just be a new wave to take their place. you have to break the cycle from the start.

For a city like paterson is $400 million the state gave to the city's schools not enough? The city tax levy for schools is around 39 million I believe. Then because it's an Abbott district everyone else in the state helps pay for them to get extra money. The cost per student is way more than most towns. The parents and the administration are the issues. Parents don't care, don't show up to conferences ect. Administration try to make their schools look good by not having to report problems by not suspending or disciplining students. Where the money going in these districts? Political hires? Friends being given jobs with no skill? There are good teachers in these districts but alot of crap teachers too. But what do you expect when administration doesn't help teachers why would good teachers stay? When students can corner a teacher and threaten them then when it gets reported the principal does nothing no report or anything written what do you expect that teacher to do? They will leave and tell any friends in the district and they will also try to leave. Hence a big revolving door of teachers. And lots of crap staying to teach. But again this comes from administrations not doing their job. If kids want to learn a skill they can go to county tech schools and learn trades. Passaic county tech has many trade programs and students can apply from anywhere in the county to go there at no cost to the student or their family. I mean things aren't perfect but these kids have opportunity they choose not to take it.

To add an article a bit old but you get the idea,

http://eagnews.org/paterson-new-jersey-district-administrators-living-in-comfort-while-schools-fail-and-kids-drop-out/

as i said, what's needed is a top down rebuilding, not just throwing good money after bad. the existing system is irrevocably broken. fire all administrators, close all the schools, refurbish them and start over again with the oversight of a committee. i'm talking about a complete takeover of the school system, scrap it and start over. clearly as you demonstrated, the money is being pissed away, so there's no reason to keep funding it as it clearly doesn't work.

in that video they talk about eating and providing food as a reason for doing what they do. in my system school lunches are free for every student. breakfast, lunch and if they stay for the after school programs, dinner as well. start small, in one city (newark) and expand from there 

I think with all the charter schools replacing the public schools it is a step in the right direction! In Camden, they are popping up everywhere and the level of discipline 

and level of teaching is some of the highest I've seen. I have seen it first hand on many occasions!

If there is no parent at home who supports the teachings of the charter schools, they also can not change the eventual outcome for their children.

Throwing money in the tens of thousands per student did not change the outcome in the Camden School District. It won't change things now either!

A change of mindset both in the schools and at home can make a difference!

Broken families... or non-existent families, is also a factor in these peoples self destructive lives.

I'm not sure what the path to fixing it, but I doubt it's just handing them checks every month.  I know you're not saying that.  I'm making a separate point.

fire all administrators, close all the schools, refurbish them and start over again with the oversight of a committee. i'm talking about a complete takeover of the school system, scrap it and start over. clearly as you demonstrated, the money is being pissed away, so there's no reason to keep funding it

While I agree with what you're saying, that would be an impossible political sell. Can you imagine the smear campaign?

"So-and-so wants to close all the schools and lay off thousands of hard working teachers!"

And it would be technically correct.

From what I understand, the tactics of that unit were more about finding and recovering stolen cars and not so much about posing as a potential car jacking victim.  Which makes no sense to me. Why would our police departments allow unarmed citizens become the victims while they try to find the cars after the fact?  Why are they not putting themselves in the hot seat and driving these guys out of business?

They are not doing it because it is dangerous. They don't have the stones.

While I agree with what you're saying, that would be an impossible political sell. Can you imagine the smear campaign?

"So-and-so wants to close all the schools and lay off thousands of hard working teachers!"

And it would be technically correct.

yep i completely agree. what i laid out is pure fantasy. i've been studying it for a while though and i am absolutely convinced that it would pretty much end crime in newark, paterson, trenton, chicago, etc. if somehow it could get done. sad

yep i completely agree. what i laid out is pure fantasy. i've been studying it for a while though and i am absolutely convinced that it would pretty much end crime in newark, paterson, trenton, chicago, etc. if somehow it could get done. sad

You'd probably be wrong. Yeah total counts would probably drop, but the per capita rate would probably increase, because fomenting education and success would likely create an exodus of the populace. Give people the means to not stay in a shithole, and they will likely take that option. So really what you are trying to convince a city government to do is stop having a large populace, and to give up power and votes. Dump money into a school in NJ, and it's used to build stuff becuase that's how you pay off your cronies and make a buck yourself. It doesn't get spent on educators. 

For what ehy spend pers student in New Brunswick, which is an abbott district, they could just build a boarding school somewhere else and ship the kids to it. It'd also take the burden of child care off the parents, give you an environment where you get proper nutrition, give you the ability to keep the gangs away from the kids, etc. But that's not going to happen either, even though you could probably get kickbacks out of the system, and you would delay flight at least as long as improving public schools would because you couldn't keep your kid in the system if you left whatever hell hole was offering this. 

And that's because if you don't have a pile of volatile poor people in your city, you don't have the same position of power you had yesterday. Even if you could have a new one tomorrow, that's a gamble, and they aren't there to gamble, they are their to wield the power they know and profit from it. Especially these days, places like Detroit tell a cautionary tale that you may never get that power back. That power is the simultaneous narratives that they are barely keeping this disaster contained and keeping it from spreading everywhere, and that we should be increadibly guilty for the situation the politicians make an effort to perpetuate. 

Many of us have sat in trenton listening to politicians from these areas tell us more gun control is needed to keep the unruly black people in paterson, etc. in check. Of course it was a black politician saying it, so they can't be racist right? 

You'd probably be wrong. Yeah total counts would probably drop, but the per capita rate would probably increase, because fomenting education and success would likely create an exodus of the populace. Give people the means to not stay in a shithole, and they will likely take that option. So really what you are trying to convince a city government to do is stop having a large populace, and to give up power and votes. Dump money into a school in NJ, and it's used to build stuff becuase that's how you pay off your cronies and make a buck yourself. It doesn't get spent on educators. 

For what ehy spend pers student in New Brunswick, which is an abbott district, they could just build a boarding school somewhere else and ship the kids to it. It'd also take the burden of child care off the parents, give you an environment where you get proper nutrition, give you the ability to keep the gangs away from the kids, etc. But that's not going to happen either, even though you could probably get kickbacks out of the system, and you would delay flight at least as long as improving public schools would because you couldn't keep your kid in the system if you left whatever hell hole was offering this. 

And that's because if you don't have a pile of volatile poor people in your city, you don't have the same position of power you had yesterday. Even if you could have a new one tomorrow, that's a gamble, and they aren't there to gamble, they are their to wield the power they know and profit from it. Especially these days, places like Detroit tell a cautionary tale that you may never get that power back. That power is the simultaneous narratives that they are barely keeping this disaster contained and keeping it from spreading everywhere, and that we should be increadibly guilty for the situation the politicians make an effort to perpetuate. 

Many of us have sat in trenton listening to politicians from these areas tell us more gun control is needed to keep the unruly black people in paterson, etc. in check. Of course it was a black politician saying it, so they can't be racist right? 

How about GIVING guns to the RULY black people in Paterson, wouldn't that work just as well? (wish there was a smiley extreme sarcasm icon)

Funny you brought that up. I was just reading about black guns matter. Pretty much what it's been advocating. Arming law abiding minorities in these cities to basically take back their streets. Not NJ of course since the 2nd amendment has been abolished here, but in real states with inner cities like PA

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/07/06/black-guns-matter-powerful-message-for-the-black-community/

Funny you brought that up. I was just reading about black guns matter. Pretty much what it's been advocating. Arming law abiding minorities in these cities to basically take back their streets. Not NJ of course since the 2nd amendment has been abolished here, but in real states with inner cities like PA

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/07/06/black-guns-matter-powerful-message-for-the-black-community/

Wow! I don't know now if I'm a psychic or just a psychO!

I amaze myself sometimes!

Thanks for sharing that, it actually sorta makes sense.