deerpark

Did they salt the roads where you live?

I dont like this salt business.

They need a new product already.

It's called Florida.   Sodium Chloride is the only mineral that you can wantonly dump on the roads that A: is economical, B:isn't poisonous. 

That it corrodes everything not designed to resist it is immaterial. 

They use a 50/50 gravel/salt mix where I live.  

I think brine is worse on cars, but it does seem to keep the roads clear longer.

Brine can be applied before the storm when the roads are dry.  Water evaporates and leaves the salt residue, which then reacts with the frozen precipitation and stop initial road icing.  Beet juice does the same thing, non corrosive and works better than salt so I am told.

Not only salted but plowed today. About 4 inches on the roads before turning to sleet.  No icing though.

Brine before the storm, salt during the storm and plowing and salt after the storm. When my wranglers frame rusts bad it's a good excuse for me to get a new one and powder coat the frame and suspension lol

Morris county Brines before, and salts during and after.  Alot of the local towns also have a "brine truck" rolling around in anticipation.

I will say that on my way to work yesterday at 7:30am, the roads were absolutely terrible from southern morris to northern morris.  It was like they never treated it.  Lucky for me I let a county plow truck by me and just followed him all the way.

Morris county Brines before, and salts during and after. Alot of the local towns also have a "brine truck" rolling around in anticipation.

I will say that on my way to work yesterday at 7:30am, the roads were absolutely terrible from southern morris to northern morris. It was like they never treated it. Lucky for me I let a county plow truck by me and just followed him all the way.

Same. I rode from our office in Whippany down 287 to the Branchburg area between 7 and 8 AM and the road was completely untreated going in both directions other than the pre-brining that was done on Friday. I suppose they were hoping it would simply warm up and the rain would wash it away, but those couple hours of freezing rain in the late morning caused plenty of spin outs that I saw on the way back up several hours later. I was shocked at the condition of 287, it was basically one lane in both directions and that one lane wasn't even plowed.

Yes sir.  I was doing 5 mph under the speed limit, mile marker 56.5 on the parkway southbound.  Slush everywhere on the highway, no plows or salt trucks in sight.  Was minding my own business, when my back tire hit a slush pile, sending the truck into a fishtail.  Collided with the guard rail, which then sent the truck rolling and sliding on its roof until stopping in the left shoulder.  I cut the seat belt off, and crawled out the tailgate.  Trooper told me I'm a dead man walking.  He didn't write me a ticket (not other vehicles involved).  Nice guy, out of the Galloway barracks.