Maksim

John Wick 3

Didn't realize today was JW3 opening.... rushed out to see it.

Huge fan of 1 and 2, a bit more 2 so was really excited to see 3.

Not going to spoil the story but can talk about it.

The good...

They tied the story really well and the trailers are all explained, i.e. Winston, Sam Jackson's character, Halle Berry.   We also get a better history on where JW comes from and if he actually is a Slav!  

Well done fight scenes.

If you are a fan if Halle Berry, you will not be dissapointed.  Yes, she looks older than she did in Bond, but did her part.  Great acting, good fight scenes and very well with the dogs.  Speaking of which, if you are a fan of dogs...  you will really like JW3.

We also see more of Winston and the Concierge which is nice...

A Russian guy that actually speaks Russian!  

The Neutral Observations...

Seems like JW switched to NY Safe mags... at least in the scenes in NY... he kept reloading like every 7 to 8 rounds!  On standard capacity 2011 9mm magazines which should easily hold 20!

Gun of the movie is certainly not the STI 2011 but rather Glocks... Glock 17, 19, 34, both with and without slide mounted optics.  Every bad guy carried a Glock... or a sword.

The Bad...

What I believe made JW1 and 2 great is that they made those movies and did not know how succesful they were going to be.  They were dark, real, solid stories, quite a bit of mystique. JW3... they knew it was a license to print money and it showed.

While the plot answered questions... it really did seem like a straight up 2 hours worth of fighting... which got old.   I really wish they spent more time developing the plot rather than take what made JW1 and 2 great.... and simply focus on those things.... because then what you have is a forced masterpiece which just does not work as well.

I.e... lots of forced stupid jokes, bad guys who die and then immediate get up, start talking and making jokes, a really strange bromance with some bad guys, etc.  Another one is repeating "cool" fight moves that are now just annoying.  I.e. in previous movies we saw JW stab someone and then smack it sword/knife, whatever in all the way with the other hand... in this movie... that is seemingly ALL he does.

You also have some sloppy editing.... one character looses a small body part.... in some shots... you saw the lazy editing and it was there in a few frames then gone the next.... a wtf also when one of the dogs is shot and we think they are dead then in another scene they are suddenly there again.

Tactical stupidity... They go shopping for guns for final fight scene in Winston's safe room... they see the bad guys are wearing full "upgraded" armor and all have select fire MP5s with cans on them....  they go for handguns... (this is where JW straps on his STI 2011)  YET there are racks of perfectly better rifles on the wall... ffs.

Corny winston humor around the same time...

TOOOOOOOO much swords/knives....   I think more guys were killed in the movie by swords than knives...

No more focus on cars (charger, mustang, etc)

So yeah.... Still good movie and worth seeing it in theaters... but absolutely felt like they knew it would be a hit and this really is about making as much money as possible with the least effort, focusing on the strongest parts of JW  BUT they forgot the balance.  Actually reminded me... it's like applying the Fast and Furious model to the movies.

And yes oh yes, there will be at least 2 or 3 more movies...

• Like 2

sam jackson huh? you cant get him and morpheus mixed up when neo is on the screen with him! lol its supposed to bring back memories

but largely I agree, it was still worth seeing but it was not as impressive as the first two.

it started out pretty good, i felt like the fighting early on was pretty creative. and when the dogs were introduced that felt pretty unique except they kind of only have that one trick. so i think that fight scene sort of overstayed its welcome. and about that dog scene you mention im pretty sure it took it to the vest, you can see her brush the bullet off when they zoom in. the tactical stupidity, though the concierge did warn him of armor upgrades he seemed to not expect the degree of that. when they came back for upgrades he even looked at him and said "armor upgrades huh?" like "wtf you didnt say they were straight up bullet proof" but meh. the winston humor though, that was great. when they came back and JW says "im gonna need more firepower" and winston just shrugs and looks at the walls i thought that was great.

I think what brought it down the most for me was the story. While saying as little as I can here, they DID flesh out the lore a bit more, and yet by the end of the movie I felt like we have not gone very far at all from the beginning. It felt a lot like a side story they squeezed in the middle of two books that already existed, being careful to not change or ruin the story that already exists around it. It was more like Chapter 2.5 imo. Theres another thing that I think made the story not feel so exciting, but that would cross into spoiler territory so if I bring that up itll be after people have had time to go see it.

I know the halle thing is Hollywood.  But In a real competition she would get flagged for not keeping muzzle down range during reloads right?  She’s like 90 degrees with the rifle reloads.   

Im not being a hater just trying to learn. 

30 minutes ago, Barms said:

I know the halle thing is Hollywood.  But In a real competition she would get flagged for not keeping muzzle down range during reloads right?  She’s like 90 degrees with the rifle reloads.   

Im not being a hater just trying to learn. 

She's a Hollywood actress! I think she did an outstanding job! :)

6 hours ago, Screwball said:

The way it ended pissed me off... because it made way for another movie. I was under the impression that there were just going to be three.

yes. this entirely. i expected them to make a trilogy and round out the story now, and if it was successful enough they could keep going by following a loose thread here or there to keep the franchise going. kinda like pirates of the caribbean tried doing. and going from 2 to 3 i thought for sure hes gonna have to go after the high table and either wipe them out or take out enough of them that the rest decide to back off and leave him be. and it STILL really feels like thats the actual THIRD chapter of the overall story. but now thats apparently going to the 4th movie. thats why i swear the story we saw was more along the lines of chapter 2.5

edit: also it looks like a lot more are up on here now tho im not sure if it ALL made it there yet or not

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/John_Wick:_Chapter_3_-_Parabellum

Keanu Reeves can keep making movies and I will gladly go see them.

If you didn't know (not that it changes how much I enjoy his work), he had a rough life:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/keanu-reeves-life-is-more-tragic-than-you-think.html/

Plus JW3 was awesome. I like that they mention that he has made a lot of trouble over the past few weeks. It felt like it was just different enough to be interesting, plus, you just want to see when and how Mr. Wick finds peace. The 3 we have so far would be awesome to binge back to back, but I'll wait for the 4th (and maybe final movie). 

I also like that he didn't get all hypocritical like Liam Neeson. I liked his movies until he opened his mouth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vicious said:

Keanu Reeves can keep making movies and I will gladly go see them.

If you didn't know (not that it changes how much I enjoy his work), he had a rough life:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/keanu-reeves-life-is-more-tragic-than-you-think.html/

Plus JW3 was awesome. I like that they mention that he has made a lot of trouble over the past few weeks. It felt like it was just different enough to be interesting, plus, you just want to see when and how Mr. Wick finds peace. The 3 we have so far would be awesome to binge back to back, but I'll wait for the 4th (and maybe final movie). 

I also like that he didn't get all hypocritical like Liam Neeson. I liked his movies until he opened his mouth.

he does a ton of charity work for kids too.