1LtCAP

Time for a new mattress. a-frigging-gain.

title says it. it's time for a new mattre4ss. I went for nearly 3 decades on an old school inner-spring normal COMFORTABLE mattress. fell into the bs trap of going to memory foam mattress. over the last approx. 15 years I've tried a few different ones, all with crappy results. never really paid more than 500 or 600 bucks for one though. the one i'm sleeping on now is about 4 years old, and thanks to it I am waking with devastating headaches if I sleep a little late. and this is a FIRM mattress. 

at this point I DO NOT want another foam mattress. I've been looking for a mattress that's old school with springs, and screw the modern foam technology crap. closest i'm finding is hybrids that're close to 3k and up. 

so......advice? knowledge? experiences with brands?

thanks guys 

6 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

title says it. it's time for a new mattre4ss. I went for nearly 3 decades on an old school inner-spring normal COMFORTABLE mattress. fell into the bs trap of going to memory foam mattress. over the last approx. 15 years I've tried a few different ones, all with crappy results. never really paid more than 500 or 600 bucks for one though. the one i'm sleeping on now is about 4 years old, and thanks to it I am waking with devastating headaches if I sleep a little late. and this is a FIRM mattress. 

at this point I DO NOT want another foam mattress. I've been looking for a mattress that's old school with springs, and screw the modern foam technology crap. closest i'm finding is hybrids that're close to 3k and up. 

thanks guys 

I just picked up a 2000$+ matress for less than 500$ at the freehold mall sears. Going out of business sale.  Though i think most or all will be some sort of memory foam, but may be worth checking it out if its not that far for you.

I was on a 20 year old pillow top old school mattress from BJ's.. I must say, this new one is a treat! Im loving it. it is memory foam on top, but a firm matress. Cooling gel layer too; i normally sweat like a pig at night, but not anymore..

Ron

Following. Agree the older mattresses lasted much longer. Current one can not be flipped since it is a "pillow top" design. We actually returned a mattress when we got this one. Wife said it was too firm, to the point she slept on the couch for a week while we did the exchange. In under a year the ruts started to develop; looks like a NJ road now with too much truck traffic. We contemplated getting one of those sleep numbers; price and concerns over noise and talk of mold/mildew turned us away. My in-laws have a knock-off version of one and they seem happy. Plan is to put tax refund money towards one.

I've contemplated resigning myself to just buying a new $500 mattress from Costco every year.

We have a sleep number which is like 5 years old. No problems so far but I am not sure I would go that route again. It’s nice being able to control both sides and seeing what setting lets you sleep the best but next time I think we’ll go Tempur-Pedic.

12 minutes ago, carl_g said:

We have a sleep number which is like 5 years old. No problems so far but I am not sure I would go that route again. It’s nice being able to control both sides and seeing what setting lets you sleep the best but next time I think we’ll go Tempur-Pedic.

I sleep alone.....well.....my gsd sleeps up on the bed with me. she claimed the lower corner of the bed as hers. the tempurs were the ones I was referencing when I mentioned nearly 3k. I REALLY don't wanna spend that kind of loot on a mattress....but if it's comfortable, and will last me a few decades, then i'll hafta bite the bullet...…..

but I GOTTA do something and soon. I can tell i'm not getting a good sound sleep, by how much trouble i'm having getting up in the am...….and I can't keep waking up with these goddam headaches

56 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

thanks guys 

This is an all foam mattress no springs at all, open package and takes about 72 hours to fully expand and chemical smell to go away ?

31 minutes ago, tony357 said:

This is an all foam mattress no springs at all, open package and takes about 72 hours to fully expand and chemical smell to go away ?

all 'cept the smell. it didn't smell at all when opened. otherwise...yea....took about a day or so to expand. 

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

I sleep alone.....well.....my gsd sleeps up on the bed with me. she claimed the lower corner of the bed as hers. the tempurs were the ones I was referencing when I mentioned nearly 3k. I REALLY don't wanna spend that kind of loot on a mattress....but if it's comfortable, and will last me a few decades, then i'll hafta bite the bullet...…..

but I GOTTA do something and soon. I can tell i'm not getting a good sound sleep, by how much trouble i'm having getting up in the am...….and I can't keep waking up with these goddam headaches

NOTHING will last 3 decades. I mean yeah technically it will be there, but it won't be doing what you want. Even the nicest coil spring mattress is going to have issues after ~10 years. most aren't warrantied past 15-20 years, and most of those warranties, if you read the fine print, are designed to not be claimable within a year or two. I've spent till it hurt on a mattress and what I got was something that was WAAYY to heavy to move easily, and was a solid performer for about 10 years. 

My $0.02 on your situation: 

Dud mattresses are usually related to back problems. For headaches, it's usually not the mattress. It could be the pillow inducing tension headaches from aggravating your neck and/or upper back. It could also that your mattress is fine and you are experiencing sleep apnea. It will make you tired on waking, and can cause headaches. Another solid possibility is grinding your teeth. This can cause tension headaches. If you have been doing it long enough without taking steps to prevent harm, you may be causing nerve pain when grinding that results in headaches on waking. 

If a new memory foam mattress makes you feel better, and you can do so with a cheaper one, I'd just buy them and toss them after a few years. It's still cheaper than buying a $3k mattress that will be dead in a dozen years anyway. 

• Like 1

I went thru the same thing in the last couple of years -- Here is where I am now

Costco, on the floor of every warehouse, has a spring mattress  Sealy west salem is what they call it -- Goes on sale usually 2 times a year

Bought a 3" foam topper too -- Put the topper on the new mattress -- Replace the topper every 2 years -- on the 2nd topper now and all is good

Thing about costco is you can return it if it sucks, No question asked -- I had ordered a few more costly mattresses from them online, slept on them for more than a night to actually try them out -- they all went back till I found the combo I am currently on 

4 hours ago, raz-0 said:

NOTHING will last 3 decades. I mean yeah technically it will be there, but it won't be doing what you want. Even the nicest coil spring mattress is going to have issues after ~10 years. most aren't warrantied past 15-20 years, and most of those warranties, if you read the fine print, are designed to not be claimable within a year or two. I've spent till it hurt on a mattress and what I got was something that was WAAYY to heavy to move easily, and was a solid performer for about 10 years. 

My $0.02 on your situation: 

Dud mattresses are usually related to back problems. For headaches, it's usually not the mattress. It could be the pillow inducing tension headaches from aggravating your neck and/or upper back. It could also that your mattress is fine and you are experiencing sleep apnea. It will make you tired on waking, and can cause headaches. Another solid possibility is grinding your teeth. This can cause tension headaches. If you have been doing it long enough without taking steps to prevent harm, you may be causing nerve pain when grinding that results in headaches on waking. 

If a new memory foam mattress makes you feel better, and you can do so with a cheaper one, I'd just buy them and toss them after a few years. It's still cheaper than buying a $3k mattress that will be dead in a dozen years anyway. 

i'd thought about that.....but what i feel is happening is that i'm "sinking" in the bed. i'd changed pillows. that didn't change anything. it mostly happens when i fall asleep on my back. even this morning, i didn't wake up with a headache, but i can feel the pain in my lower neck/upper back and inner shoulder area. i fell asleep on my back last night. when i sleep on my side, it seems to be less often.

even if i plan on replacing every couple years, i still would prefer to go to a spring mattress. i've just never been as comfortable overall on foam.

2 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

I went thru the same thing in the last couple of years -- Here is where I am now

Costco, on the floor of every warehouse, has a spring mattress  Sealy west salem is what they call it -- Goes on sale usually 2 times a year

Bought a 3" foam topper too -- Put the topper on the new mattress -- Replace the topper every 2 years -- on the 2nd topper now and all is good

Thing about costco is you can return it if it sucks, No question asked -- I had ordered a few more costly mattresses from them online, slept on them for more than a night to actually try them out -- they all went back till I found the combo I am currently on 

i don't have a costco membership, but i do have a bj's. probably they have the same setup. i'm gonna hafta check them out.....

Side sleepers need soft.  Back sleepers need firm.

You sound like a back sleeper.

Anyway, I have traveled a lot.   I have stayed in 5 star hotels in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Frankfurt, London, Rome et. al. on the company dime.  The BEST mattresses in the world, no doubt in my mind.   Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La, Intercontinental, etc.   Figure out what they use, you'll be happy.  I suspect it's expensive.  I could never figure it out, the tags are always gone and  they won't answer who's bed it is.

At home, I bought a Tempur Pedic breeze.   It's good, not as good as the aforementioned beds though.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Side sleepers need soft.  Back sleepers need firm.

You sound like a back sleeper.

Anyway, I have traveled a lot.   I have stayed in 5 star hotels in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Frankfurt, London, Rome et. al. on the company dime.  The BEST mattresses in the world, no doubt in my mind.   Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La, Intercontinental, etc.   Figure out what they use, you'll be happy.  I suspect it's expensive.  I could never figure it out, the tags are always gone and  they won't answer who's bed it is.

At home, I bought a Tempur Pedic breeze.   It's good, not as good as the aforementioned beds though.

I had the same problem trying to find out what mattress the hotel on my honeymoon used. It was fantastic. After a Tempur-Pedic, Serta iSeries, and a King Koil we upped our budget. Simmons Beautyrest Black. She has hip issues and I have back issues. Now we can sleep relatively pain free. 

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I had the same problem trying to find out what mattress the hotel on my honeymoon used. It was fantastic. After a Tempur-Pedic, Serta iSeries, and a King Koil we upped our budget. Simmons Beautyrest Black. She has hip issues and I have back issues. Now we can sleep relatively pain free. 

Funny, but I went out and looked to see if I could figure out what the Mandarin uses since that was the best bed ever.  It might be because I had spent 2 weeks in Mainland China in a 5 star Chinese hotel(about a 3 star US) and the bed was essentially a piece of plywood with 3 inches of padding.   When I flopped into that bed in the Mandarin, it was like a floating on a cloud and getting blown all at the same time. heh.

Here's what I found:

"

Mandarin Oriental

Simmons Beautyrest Eminence Recharge Plush. Mandarin’s mattresses have built-in ventilation to keep you cool. They’re from Simmons’ hospitality line, but similar versions are at macys.com.

"

I have no doubt, that's going to be my next bed whenever I tire of this Tempur Pedic.

23 hours ago, carl_g said:

I went Sleep Number as well - it's great!  I have the base model C2 or whatever, threw a foam topper on top - My wife likes the mattress firmer than I do and we both have our own settings.  Best investment in a bed ever.

If you want a REALLY firm mattress, go to an Asian furniture store.  We got some super firm mattresses with a pillow top - they're firm and comfy and were pretty cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

I went 25 years with an ikea spring mattress until a spring literally poked me in the back side. 

So I got another ikea a couple years ago and so far I liked it. But I like hard mattresses.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/haugsvaer-hybrid-mattress-firm-dark-gray-80307421/

they can roll up a inner spring mattress now?? this one may be a winner. don't wanna have to drive to philthadelphia,  but I will for a decent mattress. also....did you read care instructions? do not tumble dry. aaahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

also, I prefer firm, even when i'm sleeping on my side. it's what I've always had. 

The only thing I don't like is that you can't flip it like the old ones. I feel you could get more life out of it if you could flip it regularly.

Yep, Comes in just like a giant Taylor ham.

I was going to suggest coming to Elizabeth but it may not be any better. 

We have a beautyrest black. I had a lower model prior to that. Worlds difference if you like the plush top, feels like sleeping on clouds.. it's expensive but well worth it. We're on year 4 and no visible dips in the bed. 

when we went shopping we went to a sleepies and I literally just tested out all the beds. If you like soft beds its definitely one of the best, you would have to try their firm to see if you like it.. but my guess it would be just as good

You can rotate the bed to get even wear if its just you.

48 minutes ago, WP22 said:

The only thing I don't like is that you can't flip it like the old ones. I feel you could get more life out of it if you could flip it regularly.

Yep, Comes in just like a giant Taylor ham.

I was going to suggest coming to Elizabeth but it may not be any better. 

i'm only 25 minutes from philthadelphia. Elizabeth's a lot farther I think?

4 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

yea...i drive an excursion. on the highway i "might" get 12-14mpg, lol

hows that?! lol

My 2000 excursion with the V10 and factory 4.30 gears has rarely broken 11mpg on the highway.. Averaging mid 9's with mixed driving.. Sad thing is, my '09 F250 crewcab with the 5.4 and 5 speed auto hardly does any better!

2 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

hows that?! lol

My 2000 excursion with the V10 and factory 4.30 gears has rarely broken 11mpg on the highway.. Averaging mid 9's with mixed driving.. Sad thing is, my '09 F250 crewcab with the 5.4 and 5 speed auto hardly does any better!

i said might. i've not taken any long highway trips with it yet. i've got the v10 also. in my daily commute, i'm getting about 8'ish according to its flight computer

On 1/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, 1LtCAP said:

also, I prefer firm, even when i'm sleeping on my side. it's what I've always had. 

When we bought our Temper-pedic 5 years ago, we were told if you sleep on your side, don’t get too firm. We didn’t listen and some mornings, we wake up with our hips or shoulders hurting us.

It helps if you are a side sleeper to get in your natural sleeping position on the mattress in the store, and have someone behind you look at your spine.  It should be straight if the mattress firmness is correct for you