Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

Cleaning supplies.

What do you use? And how often do you run out of it?

For most of the firearms I have, I use hoppes 9 to clean, and then the hoppes gun oil to lubricate.

I bought the first kit for like $15 at dicks that came with oil, hoppes, a few patches and the rods. Ran out of the patches, so just bought them somewhere... but soon to run out of hoppes.

Where do you stock up?

I use only Dewey's cleaning rods of various lengths and diameters. With the rods I have a selection of jags and adapters for standard bronze brushes.

I use Shooter Choice solvents and Break-free CLP to put a very thin coat on the exterior of the firearm. For general cleaning, I get spray cans of brake part cleaner from Wal-Mart for parts cleaning.

Every so often the rifles bores are treated with Sweets to remove any possible fouling. Then the bores are cleaned using the Shooters Choice.

For the majority of my cleaning needs two stores up here have a large selection of almost everything i need. But once in a while I put a large order into Brownells. I get a discount for gun club involvement which saves a few dollars. I like to keep additional supplies on hand so buying in bulk works out.

What do you use? And how often do you run out of it?

For most of the firearms I have, I use hoppes 9 to clean, and then the hoppes gun oil to lubricate.

I bought the first kit for like $15 at dicks that came with oil, hoppes, a few patches and the rods. Ran out of the patches, so just bought them somewhere... but soon to run out of hoppes.

Where do you stock up?

I used #9 to clean, I get it at Walmart. I also picked up gunscrubber and I'm checking it out too. I use RemOil to lube, and I picked up a can of Drylube made by the same folks as PB blaster. I've also got CLP. So far though, I'm sticking to #9 to clean and I use old white cotton undershirts as patches.

Cleaning: Couple passes with a Boresnake, then hoppes with clotch patches and/or brass brush on the barrel, hoppes on an old toothbrush for other parts.

Lube: Tetra gun grease. The guy at the boxoftruth suggested it and I like it. Easy to apply exactly where you want it and it stays there without leaking to places that don't need it.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu47_4.htm

OTIS cleaning kit works great and I can carry it in my range bag just in case.

http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=143&idp=118&his=0|115|118&cart_id=8053588.2244

I use the otis bore cleaner but I might switch back to #9 because of the copper fouling in my barrel. Luckily the Glock does not seem to mind.

I used CLP for cleaning and lubing but if I switch back to #9 I will probably use the hoppes gun lube too

I just mixed up my first batch of Ed's Red so I am going to test that out as well. Cheap as hell!

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

gunscrubber and I'm checking it out too. I use RemOil to lube

Gunscrubber = Wal-mart Brake Parts cleaner at a much lower price. It is widely used and does not harm plastic or rubber parts. Just remove wood grips first.

Remoil.... Many use a good synthetic motor oil in a small needle dropper bottle available from Brownell's. Use it on rotating parts and use sparingly.

If you are looking for a lube for a M1 or M1A, this is one of the best on the market...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... .%20GREASE

Routine cleaning with hoppes #9. Everything else I use Tetra. For stubborn copper fouling it works great. And the Tetra Gun Grease is an awsome lube for slides and all moving parts. It does not gum up when it gets dirty.

That's pretty much what I use too.. Hoppes #9 for cleaning and general oiling.. Tetra Grease for the slide. I really like the tetra grease on the slide, definitely more slick then regular oil, and I love how it's still in tact after a day at the range.

Maybe I can put some products to the test....

I have car washes...which inside the tunnel can be a very harsh environment. There is always wind, and a light mist of dirt, water and chemicals passing through. Even at night everything is soaked, its just a damp place. Understandibly it is far from an equal environment as our homes or gun safes.

My thought:

I have a 12 gauge barrel that I cut down from 28" to 18.5" and I still have the remaining 9.5". If I cut that down to say 1" or 2" pieces, treat them with everyones favorite firearms preserver / rust preventative recipe and place them inside the tunnel to see which products live up to our expectations and which ones do not. I could post a pic once every few days / week / month or whatever.

I think this would be a pretty neat experiment and will help us all stop spending money on products that do not work. Any thoughts?

MPro 7 to clean with this stuff is great no odor. Used it when I lived in an apartment so the whole place didn't smell like #7. The lack of odor is odor is good around kids, neighbors etc. The MPro7 is completely nontoxic you could drink it. Works great but strips gun of all lubricant for that I like Militec or Eezox. I have been using Breakfree CLP recently and that works well also.

I tried Tetra Gun Blaster and then Tetra Gun grease, and I'm convinced this stuff is amazing. I originally used Hoppes 9/oil, and then switched to Break free. CLP worked just fine (I'll probably pack it for when I go shooting in case I need a quick lubrication), but it never quite got everything and always had a case of the runs.

Using the gun blaster removed grime I didn't even realize was building up in some places. The grease has been quite amazing as it hardly has much of a smell, and it has a clean, smooth action. Thanks for the suggestions scattered around the forums about this product.

I have been using Ballistol oil for cleaning the bores and Mil-comm TW25B sunthetic grease for greasing the slides and moving parts. The Ballistol cleans very well and leaves a protective coating when wiped off.

Ballistol oil, m-pro 7, and my trusty $5.00 electric bore cleaner. I only use 1 piece dewey rods, the jointed aluminum ones that come in the kits at walmart are junk. Those rods do more damage than good.

Rod w/brush & patches for handguns, Breakfree w/ toothbrush on some bits, qtips, and the Bore Cleaner du jour is a foul smelling bottle of Birchwood Casey stuff reeks like ammonia real bad, but gets the job done. Have heard Butch's removes copper fouling even easier, may get a small bottle of that after the BC stuff used up. Had an OCD thing with copper in the Sig barrel grooves, Hoppes would NOT get rid of it, no matter how much I glopped in there & let sit. Lube with a drop or two of Hoppes oil and TW25 grease from a syringe on the slide rails, lite coat of oil from patch thru bore.

For the rifles, boresnake w. Hoppes sprayed on it in the bore, also have rod for the M1, with muzzle protector, that gets brush & patches with BC & oil when done, or boresnake with oil soaked section. I wash the boresnakes after every cleaning. Lube for 10/22 is a dry lube spray can,on the advice of the rimfirecentral.com crowd.

I used TW25 to grease the M1 originally, but have got a tube of Tetra, put that on last I cleaned it a week ago. I still may get the lifetime supply of Lubriplate can from Brownells :mrgreen:

type in ed's red in google search + check out the recipe's for brewing your own -

TW25 to grease the M1 originally

The best grease to use on a M1 or M1A(M14) is Lubraplate. It is the grease used throughout the battlefield use and works great. It is recomended by many of the smiths rebuilding those firearms. I can will last a lifetime.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6525 ... EC__GREASE

copper in the Sig barrel grooves

Nothing works better than Sweets for removing copper. Just stinks a bit.

Butches bore shine, Hoppes #9 Solvent, and OIl.

I like to take patches and put them in baby food jars and fill it with solvent. Then I just take the patches out as I need them.

Great idea! Especially because the "mouth" on most of the solvent jars is to small for patches / 12 gauge brushes / toothbrushes / other cleaning brushes.

Being the jars are from food, Just to CYA I'd label them poison or whatever just in case...you never know.