Maksim

Self taught or took a class?

Here is a question that always popped into my head. With all of the hoping for CCW, most states require formal training for one, or at least should. In NJ, you dont need to show any proof of training to receive your Firearms ID card, so how did you learn to shoot? Moreso, who went out and received formal training from the likes of Anthony (GunforHire) or Mitch(High Calibre Firearms Training).

Here is a question that always popped into my head. With all of the hoping for CCW, most states require formal training for one, or at least should. In NJ, you dont need to show any proof of training to receive your Firearms ID card, so how did you learn to shoot? Moreso, who went out and received formal training from the likes of Anthony (GunforHire) or Mitch(High Calibre Firearms Training).

Informal lesson 15 yrs ago from my cousin

A little instruction from the RSO at TBH

otherwise, self taught.

My father in law was an NRA instructor and competitive shooter. He taught the whole family how to shoot, and once he retired to FL, it was considered "required family time" to go to the range with him at least once a day whenever we visited.

K

Never had seen any firearm in person until my Army days. Formal training for AR's and other US weapons (SAW, M203's, etc) during basic, basic armory duties during brief S4 stint, and got to do other somewhat informal training for other US systems (M19, M2, M24). Had weapon quals and training quarterly.

I have only been shooting handguns for 7 months. I had previous rifle training from the military, but had never shot a handgun until last November when I bought my first one. I did take a basic pistol class since I had been out of the military for a while it was required for my CCW, but this was after I taught myself how to shoot center mass with my handgun. I fired a total of 40 rounds that day and learned some interesting stuff as well. The class was mostly a joke though. Everyone passed with no problem at all.

Having a requirement for the sake of having a required class and then saying "well that fixes that, we are all safe now" is just silly to me. Why not use all this effort to educate people instead? Put it out there that once they are allowed to carry a gun they are held responsible for who they shoot so make sure to follow rule number 4!

I don't think the class should be mandatory. The right to bear arms is a right not a privileged as of now. If we want people to have to prove how good they are before they carry we need to update the Constitution. Luckily the framers put a way to do this in it!

Regretfully self taught. I should have taken some classes, but oh well. Applied for my FID and PP's got them in about 3 weeks (years ago) and purchased a .45 smith, went to SS and shot it.

Why regretfully, are you that bad of shot? :p

Making mistakes and learning from them makes for some quality trigger time. it is like building your own deck. A challenge to be sure but once overcome a feeling of great satisfaction. As long as you do not shoot your foot with the pistol or nail gun.

I was self taught. Had firearms for about 20 years. Started formal training about 2 years ago and never realized I didnt know shit until I did.

Take an 8 hour defensive handgun course with a quality trainer and youll see what I mean.

I started shooting with some friends almost thirty years ago. No formal training and no direction. Purchased all the wrong guns and developed all the bad habits. Fast forward two years later and I took some informal classes. Started to learn the proper way and caught the bug for hitting where I aimed. Took all the NRA Certificate courses, started to compete in Slow Fire, PPC, and Action Pistol (before IPSC and IDPA). Still not happy so I went to some advanced schools. Then I decided to become an NRA Instructor about 17 years ago and took all of those classes. All of a sudden I was informally teaching people every chance I could. Three years ago I became an NRA Training Counselor (instructor trainer) and two years ago I "bit the bullet" LOL and moved out of the shack and into the 6,000 sq. ft. I am in now. Thanks to people like you and my exceptionally high standards we are becoming "the" school in north east NJ. What's next? Stay tuned.

Anthony

Prior to the Army at age 22 in 1968 I had fired 1 round from a .22 rifle so I didn't have any bad habits to break. As an 11b I got a lot of practice in the next two years with a rifle among others but left the Army having never fired a .45 more than those few rounds in AIT.