Sign in to follow this  
tony357

should he be fired.

and he was arrested for?

they were taking a patient to the hospital. they said, if he wants to arrest them, fine, but let them take the patient to the hospital first.

this is like a ny state trooper pulling over an ambulance who jsut ran a red trying to go save someone.

look at hte video again. the trooper also on the papers claimed he was assulted. god bless them, they protect us, but this trooper is out of line. he didnt check how the patient was in the back of the bus, what if it was a stroke victim?

the trooper was negligent and out of line.

yes, the other guy was resisting arrest,

and he was arrested for? Hindering? resisting arrest.

they were taking a patient to the hospital. they said, if he wants to arrest them, fine, but let them take the patient to the hospital first.

Unfortunately this is irrelevant.

this is like a ny state trooper pulling over an ambulance who jsut ran a red trying to go save someone. I could be wrong but I beleive that it is still illeagal to run a red light.

look at hte video again. the trooper also on the papers claimed he was assulted. god bless them, they protect us, but this trooper is out of line. he didnt check how the patient was in the back of the bus, what if it was a stroke victim? The EMT was moving aggressively. Again the victims condition is unfortunately irrelevant the trooper was negligent and out of line. I disagree

yes, the other guy was resisting arrest, Indeed

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm saying that I see something different than you. That is all.

that trooper should be fired, using his badge in that manner is a crime. the driver did not do anything wrong, the trooper had no emergency and was using his car in a wrongfull manner. if he did arrest the person, what was he going to do with him put him in the car with his wife?

what the hell is his wife doing in a patrol car? that trooper is cyco he needs an evaluation.

that trooper should be fired, using his badge in that manner is a crime. the driver did not do anything wrong, the trooper had no emergency and was using his car in a wrongfull manner. if he did arrest the person, what was he going to do with him put him in the car with his wife?

what the hell is his wife doing in a patrol car? that trooper is cyco he needs an evaluation.

Again, I disagree. For whatever reason the Trooper felt the meatwagon needed to be pulled over. I'm sure we're not seeing the full video. His beef was with the driver. EMT#2 escalated the situation. The Trooper made it very clear that he had a problem with the driver. EMT2 wouldn't STFU. This is what lead to what EVERYBODY is crying about. The effect not the cause.

The wife? Come on, more smoke. Who cares? It's not the issue.

what the hell is his wife doing in a patrol car

Not that unusual. Departments with take home cars allow family members in the unit.

how about running hot to pick her up..he must have been late for picking her up, who wants to deal with that. :roll:

Looks to me like a Badge with a hard on. There was no need for him to go back after that ambulance.

He could have cited him for failure to yeild by just geting the LPN and name of company if it was that big of a deal. When he found out there was a patient in the back it does not make a difference if the ambulance was running code or not, he should of at that point followed them to the hospital and then cited them.

The Trooper had plenty of opportunities to de escelate the situation and still could have written a citation if he felt disrespected. It attracted a crowd and could have put others in danger, including himself.

Wrong #1 - running hot to pick up the wife. It wasn't an emergency, so he was being unlawful.

Wrong #2 - He didn't stop the ambulance at the moment of failure to yield, and you can't blame the driver. Who can hear sirens over sirens, and if the ambulance is going faster speeds, his eyes better be on the road, not the rear view mirrors, watching for a police vehicle.

Wrong #3 - Failed to know his surroundings. He should have realized the ambulance was on the way to the hospital. Its his town right? But because the driver flipped him off, he ignored the possibility that there was a patient in the back. The chief medic got out of the vehicle, identified himself, said he was in charge of the unit and said there was a patient in the ambulance. The officer ignored ALL of it.

Wrong #4 - He not only ignored all of #3, but he continued to put his personal feelings ahead of those of the patient. Regardless of what the driver did, as soon as he realized that there was a patient in the rear of the ambulance, he should have followed them to the hospital and then deal with the situation after the patient was safely being taken care of.

Regardless of the actions of the EMS, he put the patient in jeopardy. If you were in charge, where someone's life was in the balance, how would you react if someone ignored your pleas and just continued to have an ego trip? He even told the officer to let them continue to the hospital and arrest him there. His responsibility is to his patient.

I don't know if he'll be fired, but I fully expect the EMS and the patients family to bring up charges on him as well as civil suits. He unlawfully endangered her life and there's no excuse.

and he was arrested for? Hindering? resisting arrest.

Unfortunately this is irrelevant.

this is like a ny state trooper pulling over an ambulance who jsut ran a red trying to go save someone. I could be wrong but I beleive that it is still illeagal to run a red light.

look at hte video again. the trooper also on the papers claimed he was assulted. god bless them, they protect us, but this trooper is out of line. he didnt check how the patient was in the back of the bus, what if it was a stroke victim? The EMT was moving aggressively. Again the victims condition is unfortunately irrelevant the trooper was negligent and out of line. I disagree

yes, the other guy was resisting arrest, Indeed

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm saying that I see something different than you. That is all.

The commander of the vehicle is that EMT, not the driver. The EMT is in charge and officers are trained to know that.

Ambulances follow different rules even if they aren't running lights and siren. The EMT can get out and roam around doing as he pleases because their job is patient welfare and is more important that an officer who's ego was bruised while he was illegally speeding to pick up his wife. Get it yet? The life if the patient is not irrelevant. The condition of the patient is the highest concern ~LEGALLY~ and ~MORALLY~.

The cop committed a 2nd degree felony by touching that EMT.

The cop is a control freak and needs fired.

I hate to say it but that is not much misinformation posted here based on a lack of knowledge of the operation of emergency units in other areas of the country. Most of the comments are based on a video that should be analyzed more closely as it would debunk many of the comments.

Now one by one I will discuss some of the comments.

Wrong #1 - running hot to pick up the wife. It wasn't an emergency, so he was being unlawful. If you watch the dash-cam video, the unit is running with lights and siren (based on video sound and indication in the video graphics)He pulls into a location where other marked police units are on scene. No emergency???? Wife in the car? Big deal. Take home car regulationsrequire a response to nearby incidents when off duty and in the vehicle. A reason many do not want the cars.

Wrong #2 - He didn't stop the ambulance at the moment of failure to yield, and you can't blame the driver. Who can hear sirens over sirens, and if the ambulance is going faster speeds, his eyes better be on the road, not the rear view mirrors, watching for a police vehicle. (See the above comment. Most likely he came back upon the unit later

Wrong #3 - Failed to know his surroundings. He should have realized the ambulance was on the way to the hospital. Its his town right? But because the driver flipped him off, he ignored the possibility that there was a patient in the back. The guy in the back comes out hostile and expects to be met with a meek response??? Regardless of EMS regulations, the driver is solely responsible for traffic infractions. The unit supervisor can deal with it on a administrative level. As such, any infractions are issued to the operator. The driver was running without emergency lights or siren so the "I can't hear his siren issue is moot. Either the run was not a emergency or the rig was empty. NJ regulations mandate that lights and sirens are in operation when exceeding the traffic regulations by and great degree.

Wrong #4 - He not only ignored all of #3, but he continued to put his personal feelings ahead of those of the patient. Regardless of what the driver did, as soon as he realized that there was a patient in the rear of the ambulance, he should have followed them to the hospital and then deal with the situation after the patient was safely being taken care of. On this we agree. I see no benefit to a pissing match on the roadway when it can be handled at a higher level with the supervision on the agency or most likely private company. Cicvil suit??? Based on what? the patient was checked and released within a few hours as he has nothing wrong with him. So the incident did nothing to worsen his condition.

Regardless of EMS regulations, the driver is solely responsible for traffic infractions.

No, you cannot ignore EMS regs. Ambulances are quasi public vehicles. The EMT is in charge, all interaction goes through them as they address patient welfare. On an administrative level, the driver would responsible for traffic infractions AFTER the emergency situation is completed. This UNIT is the sole responsibility of the EMT. When he requested that they be allowed to proceed to the hospital, the cop should have backed down and written his summons there. End of story. You cannot address the patients status, it simply doesn't matter. What the EMT says, goes. He outranks the officer in any situation with a patient.

When he requested that they be allowed to proceed to the hospital, the cop should have backed down and written his summons there.

In that area I'm in agreement. There is no benefit to delaying the progress. As the statute of limitation on most mv violations (NJ) is thirty days, Time is not an issue.

I've had to deal with improper EMS vehicle operations in the past. Like the population in general, some are great, some are idiots. The vast majority were a good bunch of people. Unfortunately one of my best friend was the subject of a YouTube incident a while back during a hazing incident that involved a Klu Klux clan costume. As in this case, the actual facts where skewed by keyboard commandos that didn't know him or the basis of the video. It has become common to judge based on a 15 second video totally ignoring the overall incident.

I hate to say it but that is not much misinformation posted here based on a lack of knowledge of the operation of emergency units in other areas of the country. Most of the comments are based on a video that should be analyzed more closely as it would debunk many of the comments.

Now one by one I will discuss some of the comments.

Wrong #1 - running hot to pick up the wife. It wasn't an emergency, so he was being unlawful. If you watch the dash-cam video, the unit is running with lights and siren (based on video sound and indication in the video graphics)He pulls into a location where other marked police units are on scene. No emergency???? Wife in the car? Big deal. Take home car regulationsrequire a response to nearby incidents when off duty and in the vehicle. A reason many do not want the cars.

Wrong #2 - He didn't stop the ambulance at the moment of failure to yield, and you can't blame the driver. Who can hear sirens over sirens, and if the ambulance is going faster speeds, his eyes better be on the road, not the rear view mirrors, watching for a police vehicle. (See the above comment. Most likely he came back upon the unit later

Wrong #3 - Failed to know his surroundings. He should have realized the ambulance was on the way to the hospital. Its his town right? But because the driver flipped him off, he ignored the possibility that there was a patient in the back. The guy in the back comes out hostile and expects to be met with a meek response??? Regardless of EMS regulations, the driver is solely responsible for traffic infractions. The unit supervisor can deal with it on a administrative level. As such, any infractions are issued to the operator. The driver was running without emergency lights or siren so the "I can't hear his siren issue is moot. Either the run was not a emergency or the rig was empty. NJ regulations mandate that lights and sirens are in operation when exceeding the traffic regulations by and great degree.

Wrong #4 - He not only ignored all of #3, but he continued to put his personal feelings ahead of those of the patient. Regardless of what the driver did, as soon as he realized that there was a patient in the rear of the ambulance, he should have followed them to the hospital and then deal with the situation after the patient was safely being taken care of. On this we agree. I see no benefit to a pissing match on the roadway when it can be handled at a higher level with the supervision on the agency or most likely private company. Cicvil suit??? Based on what? the patient was checked and released within a few hours as he has nothing wrong with him. So the incident did nothing to worsen his condition.

With #1 - yes he arrived on the scene with other marked units, but before he made the final stop in, he turned off his lights & sirens and there is no talk about any incident. He had a pleasant conversation with his wife before leaving the scene, again without sirens, to pull over the ambulance.

He was wrong from the beginning. It wasn't an emergency situation when he was using lights and sirens. He got flipped off when he made a gesture to the ambulance driver for failure to yield (again to using lights and sirens wrongly), proceeded to pickup his wife, and then go after the ambulance. If the ambulance driver was in the wrong, he should have pulled him over initially. He even told the driver, "I won't tolerate hand gestures".

I can't argue #2 because he came up on the ambulance so fast, that you can't tell if lights are running. Sirens might not be necessary in that district unless they came on traffic. But i'll just leave that part alone.

In #3, he came out and identified himself, and immediately notified the officer that there was a patient in the back, which the officer ignored. He only became hostile when the officer repeatedly ignored the well-being of the patient.

#4 for the civil suit, the officer is LUCKY he guy was checked out and turned out ok. But his life was still put in danger by the officer. If the patients condition was worse, he could have be liable for her death. He failed to check on the patient from the beginning, so he has no defense on saying, oh the patient was fine. A judge wouldn't give you a lesser sentence for holding up a bank with firearm loaded with blanks. According to everyone else, it was a deadly situation. According to the EMTs, they thought the patient was in jeopardy, otherwise they wouldn't be transporting him to the hospital. Putting the patient at risk doesn't get excused just because the patient turned out to be released in a few hours.

It wasn't an emergency situation when he was using lights and sirens

And you know this how? What is the data you are basing that comment on? Response to a scene populated by other police vehicles, three that can be seen isn't an emergency? If you have information not already posted I'd love to read it.

It wasn't an emergency situation when he was using lights and sirens

And you know this how? What is the data you are basing that comment on? Response to a scene populated by other police vehicles, three that can be seen isn't an emergency? If you have information not already posted I'd love to read it.

If he was responding to an emergency, he would have spent longer than 10 seconds before he pulled out. He turns off his siren before he arrives, picks up his wife who is outside waiting, and then proceeds to pull out and go after the ambulance because he made a hand gesture at him.

And if it was an emergency situation, and he left that emergency after 10 seconds to pursue someone who flipped him off, he's even more mentally instable that we initially thought.

And if it was an emergency situation, and he left that emergency after 10 seconds

Why do you find that odd? He's off duty in a take home car. He responds to an incident which is under control when he arrives. As an off duty officer, he has no responsibility to remain nor would he be held if not needed as then he comes under the overtime/recall procedures in every contract. So he leaves.

You are trying to make something out of the response that isn't there.

What response? Where does it seem like an emergency situation at all? The location is a bar. The other cars there don't have lights or sirens on. He's picking up his wife. His wife just happened to be at an emergency situation? lol. He never left the car to check the situation, and not at any time in the video, do you see a situation occuring, nor do you hear any situation report come over the radio. If all the officers are inside dealing with a situation, wouldn't he have to actually go inside and check that its under control. If he could show up, evaluate the situation, and pull out all in 10 seconds, he's very good. But being very good was disproven when he totally ignored the patient in the ambulance.

Am I making something out of the response that isn't there, or am I just showing how it looks like it wasn't a response at all. We can argue all day about what we see in the video, and it all comes down to perception. We'll just have to agree to disagree.