CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

35 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

This still has a justifiebale need checkbox...is that ok?

Yes they probably couldn’t remove it without totally effing up the form. That’s fine, they won’t be able to use it. Doesn’t that make it even sweeter? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gumpracer said:

Just adding a link to the Parsippany-Troy Hills Police Department website. They have some good info in here that may be of some use.

I'm using their site, as well as GFH so plan my CCW process.

I have a problem with this: 

"Step 6: Please provide proof of employment. Proof may be a recent paystub, or a letter from your employer. If submitting a paystub, you can black out information regarding your salary. This can be submitted via email, fax, mail or in person."

Why do they need that? 

16 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

I have a problem with this: 

"Step 6: Please provide proof of employment. Proof may be a recent paystub, or a letter from your employer. If submitting a paystub, you can black out information regarding your salary. This can be submitted via email, fax, mail or in person."

Why do they need that? 

I believe that is only for new FID/Purchase applications. There is a "Permit to Carry" section, and a "FARS" section. FARS does not apply to carry permits.

4 hours ago, gumpracer said:

I believe that is only for new FID/Purchase applications. There is a "Permit to Carry" section, and a "FARS" section. FARS does not apply to carry permits.

It looks like it’s for security guards. I don’t want them nosing around my employment.

south Plainfield is also requiring driver abstracts and other nonsense. These illegal requirements need to be straightened out asap 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, gumpracer said:

Just adding a link to the Parsippany-Troy Hills Police Department website. They have some good info in here that may be of some use.

"Please note we have had an influx of regular FID applications and handgun permits, along with conceal carry applications due to recent changes revolving around firearms.)"

Thats interesting.

So people who didn't bother getting their FID in the past because they couldn't conceal carry are applying for FID and CCW.

Sounds like gun ownership will be going up in N.J. :good:

17 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Thats interesting.

So people who didn't bother getting their FID in the past because they couldn't conceal carry are applying for FID and CCW.

Sounds like gun ownership will be going up in N.J. :good:

I know it has reactivated my 2A interest. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrAceJD said:

when inputting one's height on the application, do they want feet and inches (6"2") or all inches (74) like the pistol permit apps?

that's a good question, and i didn't think to ask when i was on the phone with my dept today. i did however put ft/inches

2C:58-4. Permits to carry handguns a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by section 2C:39-5e. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit.

So at the Top of the Application is say make Money Order payable to “State of New Jersey - Treasurer but on the Application Instruction Sheet it says “Treasurer, State of New Jersey” I assume either will be accepted.

However the Application Bottom Right of second Page references the  photo size of 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” and the application instruction sheet says Passport Size photos which are 2” x 2”.

That difference I would think matters…

85F9F882-1876-44CA-A18F-7ABF44733853.jpeg

17AB0D5F-9407-4FC1-B2B0-AA196C69F463.jpeg

C004C2C6-658E-4947-9195-69E4D78CC443.jpeg

7 minutes ago, samiam said:

Do you have a reference for that  beyond the frame in the corner of the form? It may mean just that, but it also could mean that in the process of revamping the procedure NJ has decided to accept a more common photo format. As the form and instructions now stand, I would think that anyone who was rejected for submitting 2 x 2 or 1.5 x 1.5 photos would have some recourse. 

nope, I have not seen a new CCW ID card, but because they are not photographing your, like your DL, they need a smaller Pic to laminate on your card...just guessing.

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Do you have a reference for that  beyond the frame in the corner of the form? It may mean just that, but it also could mean that in the process of revamping the procedure NJ has decided to accept a more common photo format. As the form and instructions now stand, I would think that anyone who was rejected for submitting 2 x 2 or 1.5 x 1.5 photos would have some recourse. 

Either size should work. My police chief said that they are just trimming down the standard 2 by 2 passport photos submitted to 1.5 by 1.5 so it fits on the carry card. He said if you can get 1.5 by 1.5 that is ideal which is what I did. As long as you get a standard proper passport photo, your head will still be completely in the frame after trimming. 

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Right here

Per Nappen:

1. Submit four 1.5 inch passport photo with your application package. "Passport” does not mean “US Passport Size” but “passport standards” (white background, straight-on, no glasses, etc)

59 minutes ago, Grayson6074 said:

Either size should work. My police chief said that they are just trimming down the standard 2 by 2 passport photos submitted to 1.5 by 1.5 so it fits on the carry card. He said if you can get 1.5 by 1.5 that is ideal which is what I did. As long as you get a standard proper passport photo, your head will still be completely in the frame after trimming. 

Anyone know who actually prints the card, sticks the photo on the card etc ?  Is it the court guys or local PD/NJSP ?

Update: My Police Department contacted two of my three references. Asked the ten questions on the application which were yes or no questions, how long they known me and anything else they wanted to add. Whole conversation lasted for five minutes.

3 minutes ago, MrAceJD said:

Hey folks...

For the application where it asks for Municipal Code, that's the standard 4 digit municipality code, not the ORI number, correct?   I believe so but wanted to check.  Thanks!

Correct - I got it wrong, but the Trooper fixed it for me.

27 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

Update: My Police Department contacted two of my three references. Asked the ten questions on the application which were yes or no questions, how long they known me and anything else they wanted to add. Whole conversation lasted for five minutes.

This is one of the reasons I won't be applying anytime soon.  

Why does the PD have to call the references and ask them the same questions on the application they've already attested to in writing, signed and notarized?

I guess the PD is hoping they will change their mind or say something that can be used to deny the application. 

37 minutes ago, Bomber said:

This is one of the reasons I won't be applying anytime soon.  

Why does the PD have to call the references and ask them the same questions on the application they've already attested to in writing, signed and notarized?

I guess the PD is hoping they will change their mind or say something that can be used to deny the application. 

For references I typically used the guys I used for all my pistol permits so they are all good with me applying. My boss is a notary so he notarized my 3 copies of the application and letter of ownership.