axeman_g

PPP fee raising and FFL transfer gouging has killed the secondary market in NJ

And this was the antis intention all along.

I have noticed the increased difficulty people have had selling their pre-owned firearms over the last 6 months or so. Transfer fees being raised definitely slowed down the market, yet it appears the bubble was completely busted by the increase in PPP fees. I would imagine most people are looking at an additional $100 approx. to  purchase a used handgun and transfer it.

I have a handgun up for sale and have had 1 interested party in a firearm package that is at least $200 undervalued. 

Anyone care to share their thoughts?   

• Agree 1

I think a lot depends on what you're trying to sell.

I agree that the new bloated PPP fees is outrageous, so hopefully that gets overturned.  When they were $2 each I know people who would routinely get new ones every month 'just in case'.  I doubt they're doing that now.

If you shop around you can still find FFL's that don't kill you on transfers, so that shouldn't be too big of a factor.

I've sold a few rifles and picked up a few things over the last 6 months, so if you have something that people want (and price it competitively) then it will go.

I think your price is good for the Glock 45, but I'm not sure they're really 'in demand' right now.  Maybe take the optic off and selling them separately would have a better result?

3 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Additionally, sales are also down. People are not buying like they were a year ago.

Paul... any thoughts on that matter? Is it the over-saturation of the market... a never ending stream of ARs manufacturers... or the glut of new models like the plethora of slimline handguns?

34 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Additionally, sales are also down. People are not buying like they were a year ago.

give them a few months.....till we get closer to the election. sales will go up again.

29 minutes ago, axeman_g said:

Paul... any thoughts on that matter? Is it the over-saturation of the market... a never ending stream of ARs manufacturers... or the glut of new models like the plethora of slimline handguns?

i think more than anything right now, it's money. one of the guys on here had a acog for sale that i'd have loved to been able to grab....but i just ain't got the loot for it........i can't be the only one like that.

• Like 1

Most of the inexpensive guns I purchased (say, between $100 and $250) in Pennsylvania before moving to New Jersey would, for me, be pretty impractical purchases in New Jersey.  I would expect they would be hard for me to sell here too.  Most transfer fees I saw 5 years ago were still higher than what I paid in Pennsylvania.  Sadly, the New Jersey government has been successful in their efforts.

3 hours ago, axeman_g said:

And this was the antis intention all along.

I have noticed the increased difficulty people have had selling their pre-owned firearms over the last 6 months or so. Transfer fees being raised definitely slowed down the market, yet it appears the bubble was completely busted by the increase in PPP fees. I would imagine most people are looking at an additional $100 approx. to  purchase a used handgun and transfer it.

I have a handgun up for sale and have had 1 interested party in a firearm package that is at least $200 undervalued. 

Anyone care to share their thoughts?   

You might want to check to see what guns.com would offer. If it's too lowball, don't take it. It doesn't require much to solicit a bid from them. I sold two firearms to them in the past year-and-a-half: a .50 BMG single shot sniper rifle when NJ instituted the registration requirement and fee, and a Bond over-and-under derringer in .45 Colt with a spare barrel in .357mag/.38spc after I decided it wouldn't make a very good concealed carry back-up gun. I did take a bit of a hit on both, but nothing I regarded as outrageoous.  If you decide to accept their offer, they make the process very easy to complete.

• Like 1

This is my theory.  During covid everyone got what they wanted at than the bruen decision dropped those who wished to carry got what they wanted and maybe sold off some that they eouldnt carry.  There is this stigma that you can't carry a full sized gun concealed wich is false but I digress.  So right now unless you have a desired carry gun for sale it may be a slow mover.  Ling guns have always been a roll of the dice

All good thoughts, and let me state that I am not bitching about my gun not moving. I know the g45 is an acquired taste so I am not in hurry. I am most suprised by what I see for sale in our forum, and others, that have not moved...  the ACOG mentioned above, PWS Mk114.. Colt Python 3", even if it is a new model!

Confusing

I didn't raise my transfer fee it's always been 35 for pistols and 30 for long guns plus nics. I did notice people stopped buying cheap pistols once the $2 permits dried up. 

Any new guns I can get cheaper than any other shop in the state

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

This is my theory.  During covid everyone got what they wanted at than the bruen decision dropped those who wished to carry got what they wanted and maybe sold off some that they eouldnt carry.  There is this stigma that you can't carry a full sized gun concealed wich is false but I digress.  So right now unless you have a desired carry gun for sale it may be a slow mover.  Ling guns have always been a roll of the dice

I just wore my 4.1" Ruger SP101 revolver concealed OWB for 2 weeks straight on a trip to Virginia. I have a Falco holster that rides high on my belt, and I can have the gun comfortably hang in the waist recess just in front of my right hip bone so that an untucked T-short completely obscures it, standing or sitting. This was also surprisingly comfortable, I carried this way an average of 12 hours per day, and didn't notice any discomfort at all until near the end of that time. I was carrying that way for 2 days and my wife didn't know until I told her. This was pleasant surprise; I had no expectation it would work until I actually tried it. I had assumed I would need a button-front collared shirt-tail type shirt, worn untucked, to hide the firearm, but the T-shirt turned out to be sufficient. I do need to avoid particularly short hemmed T-shirts to accomplish this, but that is not much of a problem for me.

16 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

I know several shops that do transfers for 45 including nics

+ $25 for the permit

+ $21 for the online permit processing fees (unless applying for more than 1 permit, then divided by number of permits)

Total = $91

So, anywhere from $75 - $125+ added to a private pistol transfer where it used to only cost $2 + an envelope and a stamp.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

To address the original point that "used" Handgun sales have slowed - they have, but I think it has more to do with distributors dropping their pants on NEW gun prices. When NEW gun prices go down, the demand for USED goes down because the margin between what Joe Blow wants for he used Ruger LCP vs what a new one cost - the potential buyer is more likely to go with the new and the warranty.

JMO

• Informative 2

On 8/9/2023 at 11:39 PM, JT Custom Guns said:

To address the original point that "used" Handgun sales have slowed - they have, but I think it has more to do with distributors dropping their pants on NEW gun prices. When NEW gun prices go down, the demand for USED goes down because the margin between what Joe Blow wants for he used Ruger LCP vs what a new one cost - the potential buyer is more likely to go with the new and the warranty.

JMO

hijack incomint!!!!

what's your opinion on the newest beretta shotgun? i think it's the a300 patrol......

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

hijack incomint!!!!

what's your opinion on the newest beretta shotgun? i think it's the a300 patrol......

Hello John!

As with all Beretta Shottys they are V/G quality - only problem with the Patrol & Ultima Patrol it the tube holds 7 rds

so it has to be blocked. Better off with the1301 - same basic gun, just 5+1 rds - jmo

1 hour ago, Fred2 said:

The last time I registered to Vote was decades ago.  I wonder what the fee to do so now is?

Last I checked, the fee structure is as follows.

Democrats = $0

Republicans = $500

I could be wrong though!:scratchhead:

• Sad 1