TacticalLawyer

How big is your stockpile?

I'm sitting on around 3,000 rounds of 9mm, 3,000 of 5.56/.223 and ~500 12ga. 00 buck shells, excluding what's in my safe to use as range practice ammo. Just started stockpiling last year, so fairly pleased with how it's going, especially given the absolute lack of good 5.56 since like November.

So, how's everyone's stockpile looking?

• FacePalm 1

5 hours ago, TacticalLawyer said:

I'm sitting on around 3,000 rounds of 9mm, 3,000 of 5.56/.223 and ~500 12ga. 00 buck shells, excluding what's in my safe to use as range practice ammo. Just started stockpiling last year, so fairly pleased with how it's going, especially given the absolute lack of good 5.56 since like November.

Why are you 'stockpiling'?

How often do you shoot?

The funny/sad thing is this is legal in NJ:

On 1/23/2024 at 2:58 AM, TacticalLawyer said:

And this is not legal in NJ:  

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

I have 86 BBs and a hand full of ball bearings for my slingshot.

1 minute ago, ESB said:

And this is not legal in NJ:  

Possession of a slingshot is only illegal without an explainable lawful purpose. There are any number of explainable lawful purposes, not least of which is lawful self defense.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, ESB said:

Even ones with wrist support? 

The statute mentions only slingshots. It does not mention any detail of any type of slingshot or features it may or may not have.

Stop thinking in terms of the firearms laws and admin code which are horribly complicated. By dreaming up complication, you are doing yourself a disservice.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The statute mentions only slingshots. It does not mention any detail of any type of slingshot or features it may or may not have.

Stop thinking in terms of the firearms laws and admin code which are horribly complicated. By dreaming up complication, you are doing yourself a disservice.

I used to live in NY.  Slingshot without brace = OK, slinghot with brace = not OK.  Just assumed NJ was similar.  

11 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The crazy part to me is the “outlawing” of slingshots in NJ stems from a typo.

When the law was crafted, it was supposed to be “Slung Shot” - similar to a blackjack or sap. Someone didn’t know what that was and assumed it was a typo for slingshot, the children’s toy. They made the correction and it became part of the law.

20 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Possession of a slingshot is only illegal without an explainable lawful purpose. There are any number of explainable lawful purposes, not least of which is lawful self defense.

Interesting - I was always taught that “self defense” was not an explainable lawful purpose to possess.

9 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Interesting - I was always taught that “self defense” was not an explainable lawful purpose to possess.

I believe that changed with Bruen. NJ will deny it and as far as I know it has not been tested in court, but both Heller and Bruen make it clear that lawful self defense is a lawful purpose with respect to possession of arms. NJ is also arguing that 2A only applies to arms that are used (actually fired) for self-defense. I think that clearly undermines any position that lawful self defense is excluded from the set of explainable lawful purposes.

4 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

That was pre Bruen where the argument was that there was no right to armed self defense outside the home, so it couldn't be an answer. while there may still be issues with doing it, the answer as to why it is not an explicable lawful purpose would have to change. And they'd have to want to defend it in court. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Thanks guys. That makes sense. I feel stupid for not making that leap on my own…

I have seen nothing that indicates an official change on this and I know there has been ZERO training on how to interpret NJ’s previous self defense prohibiting laws in our post-Bruen world.

Don't feel foolish - there are so many moving parts to all this that it is really hard to keep track of all of it - especially if you pay any attention to the fights going on in other States, too.

It is more than a little concerning that there has been no effort to provide training for those of you who carry the responsibility of enforcing the minefield of NJ's weapons laws.

• Like 2

My goal is stock pile enough so  the news has something fun to report, something like

The Police searched Ferris's home and they found

100. gallons of Raw milk

300 gallons of collected rain water

Several Millie Vanilli albums

and XX,XXX,XXX Rounds of ammunition

News 12 is already getting a boner at the thought of the report

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Ferris said:

Several Millie Vanilli albums

Vinyl, cassette, or CD? Either way I believe this is a jailable offense! Certainly far more egregious than your ammo stockpile.

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Vinyl, cassette, or CD? Either way I believe this is a jailable offense! Certainly far more egregious than your ammo stockpile.

Brah 8 Tracks, I live off the grid...

But for real though I always get a giggle when the news talk about someone having 200 rounds in their home, like they were stock piling for a war and all I think that's probably the loose change  in my couch cushions.

8 hours ago, Ferris said:

Brah 8 Tracks, I live off the grid...

But for real though I always get a giggle when the news talk about someone having 200 rounds in their home, like they were stock piling for a war and all I think that's probably the loose change  in my couch cushions.

Doh! I was going to add 8-track to the list but decided not to. :)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've got a great stockpile of socks. plenty of spares. and tp. i've got a incredible stockpile of tp.

Didn't the FBI arrest some guy in NY for stock piling supplies(masks, TP and hand sanitizer) during covid?

Just now, Ferris said:

Didn't the FBI arrest some guy in NY for stock piling supplies(masks, TP and hand sanitizer) during covid?

yea. he had thousands of masks. like....cases and cases of them. i think gloves too.