Sign in to follow this  
matty

How to stop Jerking?

The trigger on my handguns, just to clarify :p I cannot seem to completely get rid of it, esp. with the p226 and its long trigger pull. The 1911 I do a bit better, but still consistently down & left. Have read everything and dryfired daily sometimes, but stil takes me a half-box or so to get even on the target at 9 yds. Any suggestions/tips that worked for you all for semi's?

I would never laugh at someones shooting ability. With the exception of my best friend because it has always been that way since we were 5.

Matt, once we corrected that contortionist exibition, you did well. It looked painful. :p

HAHA ahh come on, I know you went home and tried out that stance. You thought it was SEXY!! I can't wait to be able to actually practice on a regular basis with a real gun as opposed to that damn Kahr.

The trigger on my handguns, just to clarify :p I cannot seem to completely get rid of it, esp. with the p226 and its long trigger pull. The 1911 I do a bit better, but still consistently down & left. Have read everything and dryfired daily sometimes, but stil takes me a half-box or so to get even on the target at 9 yds. Any suggestions/tips that worked for you all for semi's?

Read:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Try sitting a spent brass on top of the gun while pulling the trigger and not knocking the brass off.

I like this. Going to try it at home.

I walk around my house at night with one of my handguns drawing and dry firing. My girlfriend laughs at me when I pie the corners in my living room. I tell her that one day she might thank me for it.

Hm, I may try the brass balacing thing or some other thing to balance on the slide. Not a rimfire handgun, 9mm & .45, but I do better wth the SAO trigger on the .45. Also reead an anticle that it's a mental thing, will also 'visualize making goood shots'. And of course the sure cure, shoot a lot (like when I have time :| Also found some technique that uses a pencil in the barrel, might try that. I can't go around the house drawing & dry firing in front of the wife kids & MIL--actually that sounds perv-ier than jerking!!! :lol:

When you press the trigger, only use the tip of your finger and slowly press utill the gun goes off and surprises you. If you place your trigger finger to far into the trigger well (trigger at first knuckle below nail) you WILL have a tendency to shoot low and left. If you slap the trigger instead of pressing, you will shoot low and left (if you are a righty).

MSax

Matty, doing better with a single action is normal. the trigger is usually lighter with less creep and the hammer falls unexpectedly as it should. On a longer pull you are thinking too much about when is the hammer going to fall. Just takes more practice.

The Hard grip suggested in the article works for me except with a Glock which actually hurts my hand when doing hard grip. must be the texture.

Get a Hogue grip. I put one on my Glock and it's a lot more comfortable to shoot. Try shooting lighter loads too. 1 Like 155 gr for .40 if I can find it. I usually shoot 165 gr though. 9mm 115 gr instead of the 124.

Chris, I am confused? Everyone I know that shoots tactical competitions shoots heavier bullets, like 124 and 147 in 9mm to tame the gun down to get back to the second shot faster? On out XD-9s, we put in a softer spring, shoot 124 or 147 and load lighter powder charges for a soft recoil. For targets and steel shoots, this works well for us.

If you don't have a laser, get good sight picture/alignment and dry fire. Your sights should not move after depressing trigger. If it does, keep dry firing until it becomes muscle memory. And yes, all the fundamentals need to be applied while practicing, especially a firm grip. With enough practice, you should stop anticipating and jerking.

Hm, I may try the brass balacing thing or some other thing to balance on the slide. Not a rimfire handgun, 9mm & .45, but I do better wth the SAO trigger on the .45. Also reead an anticle that it's a mental thing, will also 'visualize making goood shots'. And of course the sure cure, shoot a lot (like when I have time :| Also found some technique that uses a pencil in the barrel, might try that. I can't go around the house drawing & dry firing in front of the wife kids & MIL--actually that sounds perv-ier than jerking!!! :lol:

What we do is balance a dime on the front sight. Remember to keep a solid support hand.

Have you tried a cold shower?

Seriously though, that I would do when my brother had the same issue is I would tell him im loading snap caps into his mag, but I wouldnt tell him which round or how many snap caps. After a while he saw that on the snap caps he would jerk the gun forward. So after a bit of practice you just gotta think all about pulling the trigger, and not anticipate any recoil.

Actually, the rhing that has helped me is relaxation techniques, and not downing a big mug of coffee before I go. :lol: I bought a book off Amazon that treats trigger jerk as a purely mental problem, an takes a very zen approach to shooting. Just reading the book helped, that seems to be my main proble, rush rush rush to get home, get dinner, do stuff w/family, house, etc. etc. tends to make me stresses at the range. If I can get to a calm relaxed state I do much better. I tried the dime and empty casing tricks, and managed to keep those objects on the guns (autos) while dry firing. I will also stop in a string of shots and lower the gun and relax if I feel myself rushing or getting tense. Basic stuff, all of it, but sometimes I just need to see it written down before I will heed :mrgreen: