Celraysoda

Revolver...which one?

S&W 686 hands down

then you can shoot both calibers

Both calibers in the same cylinder...didn't know that. I will check it out!

-Thanks for the info.

It only works one way.

You can shoot .38spl in a .357 mag gun. But you can't shoot .357 mag out of a .38spl gun.

If you shoot .38spl out of a .357, just remember to clean your cylinder so you don't get a powder ring :)

Happy hunting

damn tim, your too fast

I have a GP100. The trigger was not as smooth out of the box as I would like, but after some shooting, I feel it's smoothing out ... close to agreeable.

Built like a tank and I like the balance. I did handle and shoot a 686 (used of course) and didn't want to spend the extra money. I am not a revolver expert anyway. YMMV.

I may take the GP100 to a gunsmith to see what additional trigger smoothness can be had, or I may open up the innards and tinker ...

I have the Taurus M605 and I love it. Good fit and finish. And it is really accurate for a 2 inch barrel. Ive only had it for a month or so but it has been nothing but a joy to shoot. It wont be my last Taurus revolver. Here are some pics with the new Hogue Mono grips I got for it.

Picture028-2.jpg

Picture038-2.jpg

Picture031-1.jpg

I am a revolver fan, i have the S&W 686, ruger redhawk,blackhawk and taurus 608.

one thing i can say is that the rankings are all close they are all quality handguns. i am favorible to the 686 because of it's grip. the taurus 608 is a very good gun but the grip is a tad wide this gun is an 8 shot 357 and i purchased it used here on the forums.

if it were me i would handle some of them before purchasing to see which one suits you, the blackhawk is cool, it brings back the old west but loading and unloading takes time as each round is individualy loaded.

Kenw had some trouble with his Taurus...had to send it back but I believe it's A-ok now.

I've had zero trouble with my Snubbie S&W 638.

I've owned a number of Ruger revolvers in the 80s and never had any issues with them.

The 686s sure look nice.

The Taurus shoots like a dream. There was a headspace issue, and the cylinder would jam, but it's all better now, and the gun is accurate and comfortable. I like the Smith Pro, and will probably get one in the future, but the Taurus was my first revolver and I didn't want to drop too much money on something I wasn't sure I'd like to shoot. Cleaning the revolvers is pain, though.

I bought a new Taurus 38 for IDPA use. It jammed, locked up and spilt bullets so it was sent back. After they fixed it I have not had any issues. I'm happy with it now but I don't like having to send a new gun bact to the manufacturer. I don't know if I'd do it again.

I have a permit burning a hole in my pocket and have been looking at revolvers.

Anybody have any suggestions? I would prefer either 38 special or 357 mag.

I hear that taurus received some less than favorable reviews.

What are you planning to do with it? Any decision should consider this.

I say Ruger GP100, PRE-LOCK S&W 686 or 586, Ruger SP101 in that order!

No lawyer lock Smiths for me! ;)

Yeah I agree with the lock thing,it's real ugly. I have a S&W 642 and I love it but the hole in the side of it sux. I have removed the lock internally but haven't picked up the plug yet to completely remove it. Get one without the lock.

Where the round enters the barrel it looks really beat up. I'd take a picture but my camera isn't good enough. I don't know if it's just from a lot of rounds going down range in a short time and it's showing some wear, but I don't know.

Where the round enters the barrel it looks really beat up. I'd take a picture but my camera isn't good enough. I don't know if it's just from a lot of rounds going down range in a short time and it's showing some wear, but I don't know.

Is it possible the timing is off?

I agree Sounds like it could be timing or an excessive cylinder gap. Or both