Sign in to follow this  
chefhunter34

Why do we have so many overweight cops?

Same reason there are any overweight people.....

Why do you find a need to ask this?

Why did you single out 1 profession?

Why do you think there are actually "so many"?

Personally I think this is just a trolling thread, and really cannot lead to any real meaningful discussion.....

Because they are American citizens just like you and I. Contrary to popular belief, police officers are not auto-tron, ticket writing, arrest making machines. They are individuals called to a profession and work their prescribed shifts just like you and I. They have parents, spouses, children, and problems. They work shifts that others wouldn't dream of working and deal with issues most would rather turn a blind eye to. Unless they are troopers, who test annually on their physical fitness, some police officers put physical fitness on the "back-burner" due to everyday life, just like the rest of our society. This is not an excuse, just reality. When I go to the Academy this July, PT is first thing in the morning and I hope to keep that a habit after graduation to not let you down ;)

I was not picking on one profession, friends of mine are in top shape in Law Enforcement. But I see a lot who should be mandated to stay in shape. I mean no offense to anyone here in Law Enforcement. If I offended anyone I truly am sorry. You can delete this if you want I will not be offended., And I was a medic in NNJ for many years so I am familiar with the shifts and what is dealt with on the streets.

The fact that many PD's don't have PT tests more frequently always bugged me. Having one once a year is good, but how about once a quarter? People down range in the military (at least the Army with my knowledge), even between patrols and operations still have to make the time for a PT test-- regardless of the weather, etc. And if they bolo, they're disciplined as in any other situation (garrison in this case).

I'm not disrespecting the institution either, instead just voicing some concern.

Because once they mandate it, then thay have to PAY for it. All of the agencies out there that have physical standards also make allowances for the officers/deputies/troopers/agents to work out on company time if there is a facility, OR< pay the cost of an outside gym if they dont have one. The municipalities are generally running shorthanded as it is, they dont have the coverage to allow the guys time during their shift to hit the gym, if they have one on site, and are already crying poverty to start adding a couple of hundred dollars per man per year for Gym memberships.

Because once they mandate it, then thay have to PAY for it. All of the agencies out there that have physical standards also make allowances for the officers/deputies/troopers/agents to work out on company time if there is a facility, OR< pay the cost of an outside gym if they dont have one. The municipalities are generally running shorthanded as it is, they dont have the coverage to allow the guys time during their shift to hit the gym, if they have one on site, and are already crying poverty to start adding a couple of hundred dollars per man per year for Gym memberships.

I don't know about all towns, but there's several Retro Fitness centers that have opened up around north Jersey, $19.99 per month, no catch.

I would rather have the town paying $75,019.99 per year for a fit cop, than $75,000 per year for a fatass who can't jump a fence or run after a fleeing suspect.

I don't know about all towns, but there's several Retro Fitness centers that have opened up around north Jersey, $19.99 per month, no catch.

I would rather have the town paying $75,019.99 per year for a fit cop, than $75,000 per year for a fatass who can't jump a fence or run after a fleeing suspect.

Actually $75,256.68, but I agree with what you're saying. :p

I was not picking on one profession, friends of mine are in top shape in Law Enforcement. But I see a lot who should be mandated to stay in shape. I mean no offense to anyone here in Law Enforcement. If I offended anyone I truly am sorry. You can delete this if you want I will not be offended., And I was a medic in NNJ for many years so I am familiar with the shifts and what is dealt with on the streets.

No need to delete.....

I can tell you that you will never see a fat or out of shape NJSP trooper. They have to pass a physical test every year to keep their job.

Hell no, them dudes are diesel! Now, local cops and Port Authority cops? I've seen some guys that make me think, "and how's he gonna catch anybody?"

KpdPipes- Do you think the dept paying for gym time is really right? Why should the taxpayer pay for a condition of employment? The employer doesn't pay to keep a lineman in shape at a utility company, and when I was doing ASME inspections no one paid for me to stay in shape to be able to crawl in boilers. When I couldn't or others couldn't do their job they were just incompetent. Now you didn't say you thought it was right for the departments to pay for this stuff you just made a statement. But it shouldn't be a given that if a physical condition is required that the employer pay for it... It turns out to one more union entitlement that we the taxpayer can't afford. I appreciate the devotion of our public servant but can only bleed so much tax money. And BS not all LEOs are fat. It's a terrible stereotype.

I can get the whole cost issue with regards to Physical fitness.. i'd have to say that slightly overweight LEOs dont really bother me...its the obese ones that should get whipped into half decent shape.

KpdPipes- Do you think the dept paying for gym time is really right? Why should the taxpayer pay for a condition of employment? The employer doesn't pay to keep a lineman in shape at a utility company, and when I was doing ASME inspections no one paid for me to stay in shape to be able to crawl in boilers. When I couldn't or others couldn't do their job they were just incompetent. Now you didn't say you thought it was right for the departments to pay for this stuff you just made a statement. But it shouldn't be a given that if a physical condition is required that the employer pay for it... It turns out to one more union entitlement that we the taxpayer can't afford. I appreciate the devotion of our public servant but can only bleed so much tax money. And BS not all LEOs are fat. It's a terrible stereotype.

You dont have to agree with it..the simple fact is that there is caselaw on this from across the country not just NJ.

You dont have to agree with it..the simple fact is that there is caselaw on this from across the country not just NJ.

So is it a union contractual issue? Do you agree it should be so? Was the case law you site related to a bargaining unit contract? Just curious...

So is it a union contractual issue? Do you agree it should be so? Was the case law you site related to a bargaining unit contract? Just curious...

If a department makes it a requirement then they should provide either the time on duty or the means to do so. I shoot on company time to qualify, I train on company time for professional development, such as Alcotest, radar, Counter-terror, ICS, Ect. IMO this falls under the same umbrella.

If a department makes it a requirement then they should provide either the time on duty or the means to do so. I shoot on company time to qualify, I train on company time for professional development, such as Alcotest, radar, Counter-terror, ICS, Ect. IMO this falls under the same umbrella.

#1 Thank You for your public service!

#2 On this point we disagree. Thank you for disclosing your opinion.

Because they are American citizens just like you and I. Contrary to popular belief, police officers are not auto-tron, ticket writing, arrest making machines. They are individuals called to a profession and work their prescribed shifts just like you and I. They have parents, spouses, children, and problems. They work shifts that others wouldn't dream of working and deal with issues most would rather turn a blind eye to. Unless they are troopers, who test annually on their physical fitness, some police officers put physical fitness on the "back-burner" due to everyday life, just like the rest of our society. This is not an excuse, just reality. When I go to the Academy this July, PT is first thing in the morning and I hope to keep that a habit after graduation to not let you down ;)

Thats a good post sparny524, I believe that certain people are called to 'clean up' what others wont do, or have done wrong. Not in a judgemental way, becasue we all agree that a judgemental cop from the door is a punk, and your best bet is to remain as silent as a mosquito fart...but I digress...If the person is overweight but in shape there is no problem. Studies have shown that overweight people who work out, are still in shape.

On a 1 mile foot chase (I can do a mile in 4:45) I doubt the overweight officer will get me, but someone in shape will have a much better chance.

So I agree with sparny in that he will stay in shape (if your calling is to 'clean up', you need to be in top form) and thats what makes a good cop who is not a punk. Stay in shape, healthy body, healthy mind, its not just a silly statement, it actually works!

Right to the point here:

1) Skinny cooks can't be trusted - so I hope you're overweight Chef ;)

2) The vast majority of America is overweight, why would we expect LEO's to be different.

3) We CAN blame these very same chef's for overfeeding us...

One of my acquaintances is a Fed LEO. FYI - they do get a workout day and are paid for working out - they also MUST pass a physical fitness test.

If your a cop you should be in shape.They chose the profession. No one forced them to be a cop.

In my opinion part of being a cop is being in shape. Not that being overweight makes you less of a person, But when your running and jumping over fences to stop a bad guy and he gets away because you like big macs and have problems, Then I think its time to join civilian life. Not bashing cops here, Most of them are in great shape, And I applaud them for doing the job.

Some LEO relatives have fitness standards, they are age adjusted, usually, and those guys that have extra duties that involve physical work, like SWAT or whatever they are called these days, have mandatory physical conditioning. I agree with that, if you are gonna work the street or be tacticool, you gotta be in shape. I also think that a lot of the fatties in uniform one sees are Sherriff's officers, COs or security guards. At Ft. Dix I see a lot of reservists that are pretty tubby too. Of course our current governor is not exactly a shining example of bypassing the donut box--- :roll:

Hell no, them dudes are diesel! Now, local cops and Port Authority cops? I've seen some guys that make me think, "and how's he gonna catch anybody?"

I've asked a couple friends and they basically have the same answer..."they can't be faster than motorola!"

#1 Thank You for your public service!

#2 On this point we disagree. Thank you for disclosing your opinion.

I kind of agree with both of you, I wouldn't have a problem with the taxpayers paying the $20/month for the officer's gym membership at a public gym (I'm sure this could even be negotiated to a lower cost), but to pay them regular salary to work out seems a bit ridiculous.

My basis of that is to look at other professions where body and being in shape is important. Start getting tubby and your pretty much out.

And even look at EMT's. I know the EMS system in NJ is pretty f**ked for the most part, but there are plenty of companies where the EMT has to get/provide/pay for their own state mandated training. That's not even considering staying in shape.

a gym membership is a tax write off for most people that need to be in shape. If cops were actors instead of cops they would get the write off.

But lets be serious here, why would you want to do that job and NOT be strong? I think most cops that aren't looking to stay in shape wouldn't be enticed with a free gym membership if one existed. PT test sure, give them the motivation and they will do it. Left to their own devices most people would slack off. I personally couldn't think of doing what they do with out at least the stress release of a good workout.

Cops are supposed to protect the public. It's part of the job desription. Since we aren't allowed to defend ourselves the police are paid to do it. They should have to at least stay in decent shape. They don't hire Hooter's girls for their book smarts do they?

a gym membership is a tax write off for most people that need to be in shape. If cops were actors instead of cops they would get the write off.

But lets be serious here, why would you want to do that job and NOT be strong? I think most cops that aren't looking to stay in shape wouldn't be enticed with a free gym membership if one existed. PT test sure, give them the motivation and they will do it. Left to their own devices most people would slack off. I personally couldn't think of doing what they do with out at least the stress release of a good workout.

Good Point.

About whether LEO's should get paid time to keep in shape:

The difference between a LEO and a boiler-crawler is that there is no requirement for the latter to be in shape to keep his job. Whatever shape he is in, as long as he can squeeze in where he needs to be, he can perform his tasks. Contrastingly, if a PD requires officers to be in shape as part of their job description, then the maintenance of their physical fitness is something that can reasonably be expected to be compensatory.