Radek

What's your favorite in .40 S&W?

Guest Damagedworld

my glock 23 is decent.. but I guess due to being light does have some snap you were referring to when you shoot it... nothing unmanageable but still noticeable..

I don't have a .40 yet. The .40 is a rimless cartrige which seems more natural to a Simi-auto pistol. How does it stay in the chamber if it has no rim?

http://www.gunpundit.com/1487.php

I was looking at this picture and I don't understand how the rimless .40's don't just fall through the chambers when you point it down.

I hate the .357 Sig. In my opinion they really screwed up the design, when they took a .40 case and just put a 9mm bullet in there. Why on earth use a thicker case that will limit the capacity in a magazine. Why not just use a regular .357 mag or something along those lines. They could have had all the power benefits of the .357 mag with the high capacity of a 9mm.

I don't have a .40 yet. The .40 is a rimless cartrige which seems more natural to a Simi-auto pistol. How does it stay in the chamber if it has no rim?

http://www.gunpundit.com/1487.php

I was looking at this picture and I don't understand how the rimless .40's don't just fall through the chambers when you point it down.

A rimless cartridge doesn't mean it doesn't have a rim, just that the rim doesn't protrude out beyond the diameter at the base of the case. Without a rim, the cartridge can't be ejected out of a handgun. True rimless cartridges you will find are usually on belts (also rimmed ones), among other contraptions.

Are you new to the forum? Intro yourself.

I hate the .357 Sig. In my opinion they really screwed up the design, when they took a .40 case and just put a 9mm bullet in there. Why on earth use a thicker case that will limit the capacity in a magazine. Why not just use a regular .357 mag or something along those lines. They could have had all the power benefits of the .357 mag with the high capacity of a 9mm.

OK, I'll handle these, one at a time. Radek may have confused the issue somewhat, with semantics. In order to be a rimmed cartridge the "rim" must protrude beyond the body of the case. Which he stated correctly. When he referred to S/A cases as also being rimmed is where he went off-track. What he really was referring to was the extractor groove. Rimmed cartridges are generally used in revolvers and they headspace on the rim. In a revolver, in the absence of rim, it must headspace on something external to the cartridge itself. In most cases this is done by inserting the cartridge, via the extractor groove, into a thin metal clip that holds multiple cartridges, and placing them in the cylinder en bloc. This will give you a better idea what I'm talking about...

moonclip.jpg

In a semi-auto pistol a rimless cartridge theoretically headspaces on the case mouth (which is why they should be taper-crimped, not roll-crimped, for you neophyte reloaders out there). I say theoretically because in most cases they are actually headspacing on the extractor.

The Charter Arms picture, to which you linked, uses a slightly different system. Rather than use an external device (moon clip) they use a spring arrangement in the extractor star. It takes slight pressure to push the cartridge past the spring when loading and it expands into the extractor groove - thus holding it at the proper depth to headspace on the extractor groove. CA has yet to release the guns using this system. Rumor has it that they are tied-up in court over patent rights, as I believe that S&W used this system on a 9mm revolver that is no longer manufactured.

OK, as to .357 Sig - First, they cannot just use the .357 magnum round in an auto pistol because it is a rimmed cartridge (meant for revolvers) and it is very long, making for a very rotund grip, not easily handled by people with normal sized or small hands. Now before everybody jumps on me, yes, I am aware of the Coonan Arms .357 1911, as well as other semi-autos that use rimmed cartridges - but they have proven problematic in a commercially viable SD firearm. The most successful one, was, of course, the S&W model 52, which shot low-powered .38 spl wadcutters for the bullseye game, not a viable SD arm.

The .357 Sig was an attempt (a good one) to duplicate the ballistics of the .357 Mag in a semi-auto cartridge. Because of the very short neck, it is not recommended that anyone attempt to make .357 Sig cartridges by necking down .40 S&W cases. The share case head dimensions, but if you blew a .357 Sig cartridge out to .40 diameter full-length, you'd find the case to be longer than a real .40 S&W. The use of the short cartridge made for a manageable grip size and allowed double stack magazines to be used (something that is also problematic with a rimmed case in a S/A), thus increasing capacity - not diminishing it. The use of the smaller diameter bullet in a large diameter case, allows for more powder capacity driving the bullet faster. This is achieved by making the case a bottlenecked case. This makes it a PITA for reloaders (especially with the short neck), but we are talking primarily a defensive round here - I won't reload my .357 Sigs - too much hassle. The bottleneck case aids in more reliable feeding than a straght-wall case, in a S/A. The smaller diameter bullet end of the cartridge is starting into a large hole (to accomodate the head of the case) in the chamber, thus less chance of hanging up.

There are many LE agencies, around the country, that have come to the conclusion that the .357 Sig is one of the finest defensive rounds out there. Good stopping power, good for shooting a barricaded suspect without too much worry of overpenetration. It is a cartridge that makes emminent sense for its, admittedly, narrow purpose of self-defense.

Off my soap box now. Thanks for reading.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

Not to beat a dead horse (but I will - what happened to the plethora of smilies BTW) in regrad to using rimless cases in revolvers - even without the external mechanism (moon clip or springs in the extractor) a round would not "fall through" the cylinder. Cylinders are bored with a shoulder that corresponds to the case mouth - so they should/will headspace on that shoulder provided the case is the right length.

That shoulder's function, however, is not headspacing. It is there so the cylinder throats are closer to bullet diameter for better accuracy. With a cylinder throat closer to the diameter of the body of the cartridge, the bullet may "tip" upon exiting the case, resulting in it going into the forcing cone tipped. It would also obdurate to the larger dimension of the oversized throat and then be swaged back down in the forcing cone - possibly with the bullet non-concentric to the cone. This is a fancy way of saying your accuracy would be crap and there'd be good possibility of keyholeing. I speak from first-hand experience, having once owned a S&W that did exactly that.

Now that I've written the above, I'm curious if the Taurus Judge has a shouldered cylinder. Not sure that it could, unless the diameter of a .410 shot shell is under normal throat diameter for the .45 Colt. Anybody have one they could check?

Too much time on my hands.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How are the .40's loaded into a revolver. Do you have to use that moon-clip? Is it possible to load one round at a time? If not, then I understand the mechanics.

It uses moon-clips - but because of the shoulder in the chamber it would function with a single round (headspace on the case mouth), but extraction would be problematic - you would have to punch each case out, from the front of the cylinder, with a rod of some sort.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Guest HuntingPaper

Springfield XD40

+1 I have the "Tactical" (5" barrel) version... is like a cross bread between a Glock and a 1911, great gun!!!