usnmars

The unveiling(caution pics!)

Here is pics of my new pride and joy, an original M1D sniper from the CMP. I am going to be honest and say that the scope and rifle are original, but the cheek pad, flash hider, and scope rings are repro's. My bank account would kill me right now if I bought originals. So while the bank account is recovering, I figured repro's would work just fine. Hopefully by Saturday, I will be able to put up a range report. So without further adieu, here she is!

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

WOW that thing's so sexy. That scope sits offset?

It has to... to feed the enbloc clips. Very same reason why Mosin's are offset, and partly why the PSL's, and Dragunovs do.... except in their case it is because the designers did not want to change plans. originally, the Dragunov's were going to be fed by stripper clips like the SKS, hence why the scope needs to be off center. When they decided to go the magazine route, the scope position was kept the same.

very nice!! original finish and stock too?

Yup, the stock was only wiped down with a bit of denatured alcohol on a rag, and I rubbed in a little bit of Gunny's Paste. I am starting another savings, they are releasing some M1C's in the spring............

Well I shot my new Garands today. The M1d was an absolute pain in the a$$ to get on paper. I couldn't get it quite zeroed(didn't know what I was doing) I maxed out the adjustments and it was still shooting high and to the right. I ripped cardboard shims for time being to put on the mount and got it kinda where I wanted it. THE THING SHOOTS GOOD! Once I got home, my friend a Garand expert gave me the low down on fitting the mount to the rifle. Now it is set up properly and should be good for the range session. I will post pics of my target later tonight, but I can say the rifle shots 100x better than I do. THIS THING IS AWESOME!

Well after a bit of searching and dealing, I got an original mount for the M1D. These tend to be rarer than hens teeth....WOO HOO! I felt like a little kid on Christmas opening it up. I already have an original T37 flash hider, all I need now is an original cheek pad. Fortunately those are easy to find, just a little pricey. Looks like next time I am home, I need to re-sight in the rifle :icon_rolleyes: I can almost call my M1D CORRECT!!!!!!!

DSC00648.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

I was at the CMP store this morning (and after the 7 hour ride I'm now home) and was looking at the snipers there. Was very tempted to buy one but $1500. wasn't in the budget right now. Ended up getting a service grade WRA and a service grade HRA - both in better shape than I would have expected. Maybe next time I'll have more cash for a sniper. Thought I died and went to heaven when I was in that store.